• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Seeing as Asteria's first comic is nearing completion, I thought it might be fun to kinda go over Abel's conception, inspirations, etcetera!
View attachment 347116

Before HaikuHello and I began making Asteria, we were making a game, which sadly fell through. Early concepts of the game had you play as a character who was trapped inside a world created by a monster. This monster was designed as a character who was weak on his own, and as such, he had kidnapped Abel and was using his powers for his own, selfish reasons. Near the end of the game, you'd free Abel, and he'd assist you for the remainder of the game. Later on, we altered the story pretty heavily, and in doing so, had Abel assume the position of the protagonist. When we decided to take the characters of Abel, Branch, Lucille, and Kaeden from our game, and use them for our comics, we did have to make some adjustments to they'd fit this world. Abel was a magical being in the game, so it felt fitting to have him as a deity in Asteria. We also adjusted Abel's design a bit to fit the new art style.

Here's Abel's original reference sheet from the game, drawn by @croffeepot on Twitter.

And here's Abel's full body artwork for the comic, drawn by @HaikuHello on Twitter.

Designing Abel was quite fun! When we began work on Abel's design, I had just finished playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and that game had a purple motif for much of it's marketing material, which gave me the idea of making Abel purple. Plus, it makes him pop, and feel a bit more "royal" when put next to the rest of the cast. Ori themself was also a reference for Abel's design, as well as cats and rabbits. As a character, Abel was heavily inspired by Nausicaa from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and Niko from OneShot! I actually rewatched a few Studio Ghibli films in order to get the creative juices flowing for Asteria. Namely, I rewatched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo, When Marnie was There, Totoro, Castle in the Sky, The Cat Returns, and Howl's Moving Castle. Nausicaa always stuck out to me as a character, since her love for nature and animals just felt so genuine, and that was really something I wanted to incorporate into Abel's character! And OneShot has always been a game I've loved, and Niko's personality and childlike wonder definitely influenced Abel.

Casting Abel was actually quite difficult, haha. This project is being paid for out of my own pocket, so I wasn't able to put a bunch of money into VO. Due to this, I thought not many people would audition, but turns out, plenty of voice actors are open to voicing for passion projects like this, which is really great! A VA acquaintance named Lisa-Marie Lee helped me make the casting call, and thus, I sent the document out to Twitter. A lot of casting calls are posted on Twitter, many even being posted by industry professionals, so I felt like that'd be the best place to post it. The deadline for auditions was one week, and in that one week, I got 167 auditions! I was pretty open to Abel having a more masculine or a more feminine sounding voice, so I got a wide array of auditions, which was great to see. I basically sifted through the auditions, hand-picked the ones I thought best fit, and then HaikuHello and I hopped in a call, listened to the hand-picked auditions again, and made our decision. Eventually, we settled on casting a professional voice actor from Malaysia named Su Ling Chan! The first time I ever heard Su Ling's voice was at a GameStop, actually. They were playing a trailer for a game called No Straight Roads (Which Su voices one of the two playable characters in) on one of their monitors, and I remember the volume being REALLY LOUD for some reason. So that memory stuck with me for some reason! In the Email she sent alongside her audition, and in the Email she sent in response to the news that she had been cast, she described Abel as a "precious cinnamon roll", which I 100% agree with, haha. She actually mentioned to me that she had a lot of fun voicing Abel, and that she felt very cute during the recording session, which is great!

Welp, that's my long ramble over. I don't really get to talk about the behind the scenes process of stuff like this often, so this was quite fun to get out there!
Noipoi Noipoi Metal Shop X Metal Shop X MooMew64 MooMew64 @Wademan94 If ya got some time to kill, this might interest ya, haha.
Definitly worth the read imo. Love behind the scene when it come to character creation & the like!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I mean knowing Illumination it's gonna be either good or straight mid.
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: the Despicable Me franchise's films are their best films, and at the very least, the first film was actually great. It's proof they do have talent, they just...rarely really put in the work in movies that followed it.

Sing wasn't terrible. The Lorax was medicore. The Secret Life of Pets was wasted potential. Minions is ultimately just a cashgrab but at least fans of the characters can enjoy it.

And we don't talk about Hop.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: the Despicable Me franchise's films are their best films, and at the very least, the first film was actually great. It's proof they do have talent, they just...rarely really put in the work in movies that followed it.

Sing wasn't terrible. The Lorax was medicore. The Secret Life of Pets was wasted potential. Minions is ultimately just a cashgrab but at least fans of the characters can enjoy it.

And we don't talk about Hop.
The Despicable Me films are genuinely pretty solid films, the others are where things start hitting and missing

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I’m guessing no Mario teaser. Which I don’t see how you drop the ball the ball like that when Nintendo loves making marketing match perfectly with the subject matter.

My guess is real world events led them to push back the reveal.

KillerCage

Smash Master
View attachment 347170
ThorGwen
I have a need to worship ThorGwen. She-Ra dead, ThorGwen forever now
Nah.
I still like the new She-Ra.
In other news, Black Panther's director, Ryan Coogler, got wrongfully arrested and detained because he was wrongly accused of robbing a bank. Despite showing ID and Pin number, he still got the cops called and a gun pulled at him.

Racism is alive and well y'all. And acab too

Why does this keep happening???
I said this before and I'll say it again: this world is getting dumber!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
While I didnt expect a trailer, I did expect a teaser or at least a poster to give people something to talk about. I don’t see why you pass that opportunity up.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
We’ll get the first Mario movie trailer in the summer, I bet. It’s a December movie, after all.
First trailers for films would usually come up at least between four to six months before release which is a pattern that I usually notice quite often.

Realistically, they could show the first trailer of the Mario movie possibly by June as a safe prediction.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! Got at last the double jump & beated two dream bosses! The Lost Kin & Grey Prince Zote. (only once for the later tho, not sure if i'm gonna try the 7 other forms he got)

Still got alot to explore & badges to collect, but i'm slowy getting there!

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
As my celebration for Mario Day, I now begin my Mario movie marathon, starting with the 1986 anime film, "Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach!"
First movie done! I absolutely loved it!

For a film that was made only one year after the first Super Mario Bros. game, it has aged EXTREMELY well lore wise.

Though the ending sucks

Going to take a small break before I begin the live-action movie (extended cut).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ive just made it to the midway point of the story in Super Robot Wars W.
The protagonist finds out her has a long lost sister, who seemingly knows more about evil alien empires than one human should while the evil alien empires from Voltron and Orgun begin their assault on the earth.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Somehow, my mother continues to surprise me with how garbage she can be at cooking. She managed to make enchiladas that have absolutely no flavor in the slightest, out of freezer burnt meat, which she has the gall to call "spicy."

And then she got mad when I didn't want it, despite the fact she knew I ate less than 2 hours ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom