• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Having seen the news that EA Sports is pulling out Russian clubs and their national team from their FIFA games, it really does question how other video game companies will approach this?

There were a couple of messages that I have seen on social media in which they want Zangief to be excluded (even though he has not been announced) within the upcoming Street Fighter 6 installment. There are other Russian based characters within plenty of fighting games that include Street Fighter's Necro and Kolin (even though there is no nationality for her), Tekken's Sergei Dragunov, Alisa Bosconovitch and Jack-6, Dead or Alive's Bayman, Guilty Gear's Millia Rage etc. Do you think think those will be excluded too?
Late reply but: I think it would be ridiculously performative and utterly unhelpful to exclude characters just because they are Russians.

Granted, people have been doing ridiculously performative and utterly unhelpful stuff like removing Dostoyevsky's books from curricula but I don't see how Millia or Zangief have anything to do with real-life conflicts.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I got a raccoon plushie. What should I name him?

You know, I actually kinda agree with this.

Open worlds and traditional, linear storytelling don't mesh well. Sure, you can still have lore and environmental storytelling but it's not the same as having a narrative that moves forward at a reasonable pace.

That's why I have a hard time getting into those types of games. It's not that they are bad, it's just I like to see the game giving me more motivation to play with plot threads.
Name him… Ferbifur.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
That’s… interesting. I certainly can’t speak to the quality of something I don’t like but… idk. It feels like you can’t tell a good story in a truly open world. Not without one aspect causing the other to suffer. Maybe I’m too traditional or whatever. And I guess I’ll never know in this specific case. I respect your opinion on it though, even if I have trouble understanding it. And I mean that literally. I put the data your giving me into my brain and I get the spinning beach ball of death. It’s like the core logic I’ve designed the entire system on it being directly challenged and contradicted leading to a total system collapse. (God I hate how the only way I can describe how my brain works is using computer metaphors. Makes me feel like/worry that I’m a robot or something.

I’m just really bummed out about all of this. Like, I just got into Pokémon beyond just appreciating the designs of the Pokémon. And after one game that I actually enjoyed enough to go full Dex Completionist on it’s going entirely in a direction that just doesn’t gel with me, and now I’m back to just appreciating the character designs again. Tell me that wouldn’t get you?

It’s just not an aspect of video games I give any ****s about, and so many games going all in on exploring with almost nothing else. It’s just… can’t we just stop. Take a breather from emphasizing exploration above all. Take a break from treating “linear” like a dirty word in game reviews and general discourse.

I also think I finally figured out why I like Banjo Kazooie so much. Sure, it’s open ended and a bit explorey. But it’s not just “look around until you find the thing”. You get to an area and have to complete a puzzle. Or challenge. I’m almost every case. Very few jiggies are just lying around. The traveling to the objective is superfluous (imo). I’d get just as much enjoyment if you were plonked into a jiggy challenge from a selection menue. Probably more because you cut out all the fluff and have more resources to make more puzzles and challenges. But either way, that’s still how I see it. Just pouring my thoughts onto the page rn
Spider-Man PS4 is open world and has a great narrative

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Good Morning My Gamers
It really isn't, i steamrolled everything from Maylene to Cyrus.
Your experience is not universal. People call SuMo easy, but I remember struggling with some of the totem Pokémon quite a lot. As for BDSP, Maylene's Lucario nearly steamrolled my team the other night
Life update: Got in a relationship. Idek man, ****'s wild. :191:
Ayy congrats
I’m just really bummed out about all of this. Like, I just got into Pokémon beyond just appreciating the designs of the Pokémon. And after one game that I actually enjoyed enough to go full Dex Completionist on it’s going entirely in a direction that just doesn’t gel with me, and now I’m back to just appreciating the character designs again. Tell me that wouldn’t get you?
With all due respect, it's the other way around for some people. I was extremely disappointed with Sword and Shield despite loving a lot of the new Pokémon and was afraid it's going to be the standard for the series going forward. I know for a fact I'm not alone in this

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So uh. I finally got my first job...............which won't be starting til April.

K-on.gif

Only took me 25 years of my life. I'm happy though. Just means a lot of social security and payment stuff to go through.

Late reply but: I think it would be ridiculously performative and utterly unhelpful to exclude characters just because they are Russians.

Granted, people have been doing ridiculously performative and utterly unhelpful stuff like removing Dostoyevsky's books from curricula but I don't see how Millia or Zangief have anything to do with real-life conflicts.
And the whole forcing people to choose between Russian culture and everything else. People honest to god (and I do also mean governments as well) need to separate the people/culture and the government from each other. Also gives the men in the Kremlin another win for them as well. A lot of firms pulling out as well.

It's a country with a culture I'm fascinated by and beautiful as hell (Russian Far East is still where I want to visit so much). It's just ruined by the people leading it at the moment who want nothing but to make everyone but them suffer.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Good Morning My Gamers

Your experience is not universal. People call SuMo easy, but I remember struggling with some of the totem Pokémon quite a lot. As for BDSP, Maylene's Lucario nearly steamrolled my team the other night

Ayy congrats

With all due respect, it's the other way around for some people. I was extremely disappointed with Sword and Shield despite loving a lot of the new Pokémon and was afraid it's going to be the standard for the series going forward. I know for a fact I'm not alone in this
I understand. I guess there’s just nothing for it then. We can’t both have what we want.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

I actually agree with you and I'm certain that most of the Russian characters were never designed or created out of anything associated with politics or real-life conflicts like you stated.

Although I'm not entirely sure if this would apply to Tekken's Sergei Dragunov's storyline in which his character is involved with the Russian military that wants to acquire Jin's Devil Gene. Although he made his debut way back in 2005 (Dark Resurrection), his storyline could be a bit problematic based upon the current events.

I do pretty much understand Nintendo's decision to delay Advance Wars as it does not seem to be the right moment to release it due to the currents.

Anyways, here is the first look at Tatiana Maslany as She-Hulk:

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I actually agree with you and I'm certain that most of the Russian characters were never designed or created out of anything associated with politics or real-life conflicts like you stated.

Although I'm not entirely sure if this would apply to Tekken's Sergei Dragunov's storyline in which his character is involved with the Russian military that wants to acquire Jin's Devil Gene. Although he made his debut way back in 2005 (Dark Resurrection), his storyline could be a bit problematic based upon the current events.

I do pretty much understand Nintendo's decision to delay Advance Wars as it does not seem to be the right moment to release it due to the currents.

Anyways, here is the first look at Tatiana Maslany as She-Hulk:

Got damn you Putin! You got in the way of my voddy gams!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pixar ain’t happy

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Pixar ain’t happy
Of course. Did anyone ever not think that Disney was like this? It’s still bad, but it’s also not news.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Im going to answer one of these scam likely calls one day and just ****ing vent to them. Tell them all my problems. They are gonna have to convence me I matter. You gonna call me at 9 am, you gonna listen to me for hours, asshole

osby

Smash Obsessed
Pixar ain’t happy
No need to say, given it's Twitter, but don't look at the replies if you don't want your day to be ruined.

Name him Mine...because hes mine now, give it to me
You need to best me in a duel to death first.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here comes a very special boy

DAILY DEMON SHOWCASE

This showcase's demon is of the Beast race:

1646924290440.png

“Me Beast Cu Sith! Woof! Let’s hunt together, woof! …oops, I almost barked another time.”

Alignment: Neutral-Neutral

Origin: Scottish mythology. Cù-sìth (literally “fairy dog”) is a mythological hound similar to other supernatural dogs in Welsh and Irish lores. They are as large as small cows and have shaggy, green fur. Known to live in rock clefts and roam the highland moors, cu sith are capable of silent hunting but sometimes bark three times when hunting. These terrifying barks can be heard from miles away and anyone who hears all three will die from fear.

Skills: Zan, Rakunda, Dustma

Next time, you will meet a demon of the Lady race.

Green fur fits the description but ear wings? They are just there to make Cu Sith even more adorable. This demon is a good boy/girl and can carry you through some hard early game encounters. Despite its scary legend, SMT uncharacteristically accepts cu sith as a loyal companion. I’m not surprised, given how much the series loves its demon dogs…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom