• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
TIL people play Pokemon for the story.

Which is weird because only 4 games have one.
Whenever Pokémon has a good or interesting story I’m pleasantly surprised. Because I expect nothing from Pokémon plots lol

“Oh dang, I was just leveling up Tiger Mask and now we’re talking about child abuse. And aliens. Sweet.”

cashregister9

Smash Hero
It still boggles my mind that of all the creatures you try to make "pretty"

You do it with a cockroach

Pheromosa is all sorts of weird.
Read Cockroach without the roach and you can see the thought process behind pheromosa

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It still boggles my mind that of all the creatures you try to make "pretty"

You do it with a cockroach

Pheromosa is all sorts of weird.
But its normal in the dimension it came from.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Sun, Moon, Ulta Sun, Ultra Moon?

:nifty:
Close, but the answer is (joke ruining time) Plat, B&W, S&M, PLA
Whenever Pokémon has a good or interesting story I’m pleasantly surprised. Because I expect nothing from Pokémon plots lol

“Oh dang, I was just leveling up Tiger Mask and now we’re talking about child abuse. And aliens. Sweet.”
Majority of the franchise is just here's your magical pet **** off and be the champion.

And then SuMo goes look at your quirky friends and then bam gaslighting and dead Pokemon and child abuse, and she was gonna kill Lillie too. All while the protagonist goes 🙂.

Oh and Ghetsis and Volo too, they also tried to kill you.

Why do the grown ass villians struggle at killing a teenager?

Noipoi

Howdy!

Majority of the franchise is just here's your magical pet **** off and be the champion.

And then SuMo goes look at your quirky friends and then bam gaslighting and dead Pokemon and child abuse, and she was gonna kill Lillie too. All while the protagonist goes 🙂.

Didn’t Ghetsis slap the **** out of Lillie in USUM?

Shroob

Sup?

Be Ghetsis

Be the leader of countless willing followers

Have created basically a ****ing religion out of Pokemon Jesus Christ

Have an elite task op that may or may not be able to teleport

Have a clearly hacked Hydreigon

Still challenges the MC to a Pokemon battle and gives up when defeated despite Pokemon using attacks on people being known since Gen 2.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Be Ghetsis

Be the leader of countless willing followers

Have created basically a ****ing religion out of Pokemon Jesus Christ

Have an elite task op that may or may not be able to teleport

Have a clearly hacked Hydreigon

Still challenges the MC to a Pokemon battle and gives up when defeated despite Pokemon using attacks on people being known since Gen 2.
Be Ghetsis
Have the Power of Kyruem
Nearly kill the protagonist with Kyruem
Somehow still ****ing fail at doing that

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I dunno man, a decent story can enhance an open world game. If it’s non-intrusive, and the game let’s you do what you want until you personally feel like returning to the plot, then I have no problem with it.

And while the story in Legends is kinda basic, I don’t feel like it takes anything away from the game. The characters are pretty charming, for the most part. And there’s some interesting lore. The game would be lesser without it, imo.

Still fun, as the gameplay is radical. But I don’t know if I’d like being dumped in the wild with no one to talk to, and no objectives.
That’s… interesting. I certainly can’t speak to the quality of something I don’t like but… idk. It feels like you can’t tell a good story in a truly open world. Not without one aspect causing the other to suffer. Maybe I’m too traditional or whatever. And I guess I’ll never know in this specific case. I respect your opinion on it though, even if I have trouble understanding it. And I mean that literally. I put the data your giving me into my brain and I get the spinning beach ball of death. It’s like the core logic I’ve designed the entire system on it being directly challenged and contradicted leading to a total system collapse. (God I hate how the only way I can describe how my brain works is using computer metaphors. Makes me feel like/worry that I’m a robot or something.

I’m just really bummed out about all of this. Like, I just got into Pokémon beyond just appreciating the designs of the Pokémon. And after one game that I actually enjoyed enough to go full Dex Completionist on it’s going entirely in a direction that just doesn’t gel with me, and now I’m back to just appreciating the character designs again. Tell me that wouldn’t get you?

It’s just not an aspect of video games I give any ****s about, and so many games going all in on exploring with almost nothing else. It’s just… can’t we just stop. Take a breather from emphasizing exploration above all. Take a break from treating “linear” like a dirty word in game reviews and general discourse.

I also think I finally figured out why I like Banjo Kazooie so much. Sure, it’s open ended and a bit explorey. But it’s not just “look around until you find the thing”. You get to an area and have to complete a puzzle. Or challenge. I’m almost every case. Very few jiggies are just lying around. The traveling to the objective is superfluous (imo). I’d get just as much enjoyment if you were plonked into a jiggy challenge from a selection menue. Probably more because you cut out all the fluff and have more resources to make more puzzles and challenges. But either way, that’s still how I see it. Just pouring my thoughts onto the page rn

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
That’s… interesting. I certainly can’t speak to the quality of something I don’t like but… idk. It feels like you can’t tell a good story in a truly open world. Not without one aspect causing the other to suffer. Maybe I’m too traditional or whatever. And I guess I’ll never know in this specific case. I respect your opinion on it though, even if I have trouble understanding it. And I mean that literally. I put the data your giving me into my brain and I get the spinning beach ball of death. It’s like the core logic I’ve designed the entire system on it being directly challenged and contradicted leading to a total system collapse. (God I hate how the only way I can describe how my brain works is using computer metaphors. Makes me feel like/worry that I’m a robot or something.

I’m just really bummed out about all of this. Like, I just got into Pokémon beyond just appreciating the designs of the Pokémon. And after one game that I actually enjoyed enough to go full Dex Completionist on it’s going entirely in a direction that just doesn’t gel with me, and now I’m back to just appreciating the character designs again. Tell me that wouldn’t get you?

It’s just not an aspect of video games I give any ****s about, and so many games going all in on exploring with almost nothing else. It’s just… can’t we just stop. Take a breather from emphasizing exploration above all. Take a break from treating “linear” like a dirty word in game reviews and general discourse.

I also think I finally figured out why I like Banjo Kazooie so much. Sure, it’s open ended and a bit explorey. But it’s not just “look around until you find the thing”. You get to an area and have to complete a puzzle. Or challenge. I’m almost every case. Very few jiggies are just lying around. The traveling to the objective is superfluous (imo). I’d get just as much enjoyment if you were plonked into a jiggy challenge from a selection menue. Probably more because you cut out all the fluff and have more resources to make more puzzles and challenges. But either way, that’s still how I see it. Just pouring my thoughts onto the page rn
Out of curiousity, do you like Monster Hunter?

Noipoi

Howdy!

Goddamnit, this post is well thought out. I can't just reply with a smug reaction image.

Nah, I get it. If I really hated shooters, and I always admired the Zelda series from afar, and after years I finally get into Zelda, only for every Zelda game for the foreseeable future to be a shooter...I wouldn't be too happy either.

I can understand your frustration even if you voice it in obnoxious ways sometimes.

But in my case, Pokemon is finally becoming what I and many people always wanted it to be. And we're just so super happy about that, y'know?

But I guess you can't please everyone :drshrug:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Chocobo GP's story is a highspeed mish mash of adult jokes and 4th wall breaks.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Goddamnit, this post is well thought out. I can't just reply with a smug reaction image.

Nah, I get it. If I really hated shooters, and I always admired the Zelda series from afar, and after years I finally get into Zelda, only for every Zelda game for the foreseeable future to be a shooter...I wouldn't be too happy either.

I can understand your frustration even if you voice it in obnoxious ways sometimes.

But in my case, Pokemon is finally becoming what I and many people always wanted it to be. And we're just so super happy about that, y'know?

But I guess you can't please everyone :drshrug:
So what do we argue about now?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I got a raccoon plushie. What should I name him?

That’s… interesting. I certainly can’t speak to the quality of something I don’t like but… idk. It feels like you can’t tell a good story in a truly open world. Not without one aspect causing the other to suffer. Maybe I’m too traditional or whatever.
You know, I actually kinda agree with this.

Open worlds and traditional, linear storytelling don't mesh well. Sure, you can still have lore and environmental storytelling but it's not the same as having a narrative that moves forward at a reasonable pace.

That's why I have a hard time getting into those types of games. It's not that they are bad, it's just I like to see the game giving me more motivation to play with plot threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom