• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
6 Pokémon is likely better for gameplay balance. If you were able to use tons of Pokémon at once, then for the trainer fights they’d have to add a lot more ‘mons to each opponent (and possibly make them feel same-y or too long), and arbitrarily make wild ‘mons weirdly a lot stronger.

You can easily switch them out at the camp site, anyway.
Eh. Still doesn’t make in-universe sense. But whatever.

Also I didn’t think there were trainer battles in PLA.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Eh. Still doesn’t make in-universe sense. But whatever.
Same reason why basketball is a 5v5 game instead of a have the entire bench play the game. It would be too cluttered and just not fun to watch nor play.
Also I didn’t think there were trainer battles in PLA.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No no, i'm definitely pathetic.
You know who else is patheticView attachment 347115
Ok, real talk though, who's your favorite Noble Pokemon everyone? Mine's Avalugg.
Yo, wait

Valkyrie Elysium is also on Steam?

Never mind, announcement now good.
Avalugg is beeg, but I think I like Arcanine the most. For the story connection you had with it, beforehand.

It's kinda like Nebby turning into the gen 7 box legend. Y'know, if Nebby tried to kill you :nifty:
Glad that I made it up to tier 100 in Ninjala before the season ended tonight.
welp…I’ve found the 5 coolest people to have made a comment…

NOW THE NEXT 10 POSTS MADE REPRESENTS WHO OWNS THIS WEBSITE

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Seeing as Asteria's first comic is nearing completion, I thought it might be fun to kinda go over Abel's conception, inspirations, etcetera!
1646878652319.png

Before HaikuHello and I began making Asteria, we were making a game, which sadly fell through. Early concepts of the game had you play as a character who was trapped inside a world created by a monster. This monster was designed as a character who was weak on his own, and as such, he had kidnapped Abel and was using his powers for his own, selfish reasons. Near the end of the game, you'd free Abel, and he'd assist you for the remainder of the game. Later on, we altered the story pretty heavily, and in doing so, had Abel assume the position of the protagonist. When we decided to take the characters of Abel, Branch, Lucille, and Kaeden from our game, and use them for our comics, we did have to make some adjustments to they'd fit this world. Abel was a magical being in the game, so it felt fitting to have him as a deity in Asteria. We also adjusted Abel's design a bit to fit the new art style.

Here's Abel's original reference sheet from the game, drawn by @croffeepot on Twitter.

And here's Abel's full body artwork for the comic, drawn by @HaikuHello on Twitter.

Designing Abel was quite fun! When we began work on Abel's design, I had just finished playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and that game had a purple motif for much of it's marketing material, which gave me the idea of making Abel purple. Plus, it makes him pop, and feel a bit more "royal" when put next to the rest of the cast. Ori themself was also a reference for Abel's design, as well as cats and rabbits. As a character, Abel was heavily inspired by Nausicaa from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and Niko from OneShot! I actually rewatched a few Studio Ghibli films in order to get the creative juices flowing for Asteria. Namely, I rewatched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo, When Marnie was There, Totoro, Castle in the Sky, The Cat Returns, and Howl's Moving Castle. Nausicaa always stuck out to me as a character, since her love for nature and animals just felt so genuine, and that was really something I wanted to incorporate into Abel's character! And OneShot has always been a game I've loved, and Niko's personality and childlike wonder definitely influenced Abel.

Casting Abel was actually quite difficult, haha. This project is being paid for out of my own pocket, so I wasn't able to put a bunch of money into VO. Due to this, I thought not many people would audition, but turns out, plenty of voice actors are open to voicing for passion projects like this, which is really great! A VA acquaintance named Lisa-Marie Lee helped me make the casting call, and thus, I sent the document out to Twitter. A lot of casting calls are posted on Twitter, many even being posted by industry professionals, so I felt like that'd be the best place to post it. The deadline for auditions was one week, and in that one week, I got 167 auditions! I was pretty open to Abel having a more masculine or a more feminine sounding voice, so I got a wide array of auditions, which was great to see. I basically sifted through the auditions, hand-picked the ones I thought best fit, and then HaikuHello and I hopped in a call, listened to the hand-picked auditions again, and made our decision. Eventually, we settled on casting a professional voice actor from Malaysia named Su Ling Chan! The first time I ever heard Su Ling's voice was at a GameStop, actually. They were playing a trailer for a game called No Straight Roads (Which Su voices one of the two playable characters in) on one of their monitors, and I remember the volume being REALLY LOUD for some reason. So that memory stuck with me for some reason! In the Email she sent alongside her audition, and in the Email she sent in response to the news that she had been cast, she described Abel as a "precious cinnamon roll", which I 100% agree with, haha. She actually mentioned to me that she had a lot of fun voicing Abel, and that she felt very cute during the recording session, which is great!

Welp, that's my long ramble over. I don't really get to talk about the behind the scenes process of stuff like this often, so this was quite fun to get out there!
Noipoi Noipoi Metal Shop X Metal Shop X MooMew64 MooMew64 Wademan94 Wademan94 If ya got some time to kill, this might interest ya, haha.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Seeing as Asteria's first comic is nearing completion, I thought it might be fun to kinda go over Abel's conception, inspirations, etcetera!
View attachment 347116

Before HaikuHello and I began making Asteria, we were making a game, which sadly fell through. Early concepts of the game had you play as a character who was trapped inside a world created by a monster. This monster was designed as a character who was weak on his own, and as such, he had kidnapped Abel and was using his powers for his own, selfish reasons. Near the end of the game, you'd free Abel, and he'd assist you for the remainder of the game. Later on, we altered the story pretty heavily, and in doing so, had Abel assume the position of the protagonist. When we decided to take the characters of Abel, Branch, Lucille, and Kaeden from our game, and use them for our comics, we did have to make some adjustments to they'd fit this world. Abel was a magical being in the game, so it felt fitting to have him as a deity in Asteria. We also adjusted Abel's design a bit to fit the new art style.

Here's Abel's original reference sheet from the game, drawn by @croffeepot on Twitter.

And here's Abel's full body artwork for the comic, drawn by @HaikuHello on Twitter.

Designing Abel was quite fun! When we began work on Abel's design, I had just finished playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps, and that game had a purple motif for much of it's marketing material, which gave me the idea of making Abel purple. Plus, it makes him pop, and feel a bit more "royal" when put next to the rest of the cast. Ori themself was also a reference for Abel's design, as well as cats and rabbits. As a character, Abel was heavily inspired by Nausicaa from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and Niko from OneShot! I actually rewatched a few Studio Ghibli films in order to get the creative juices flowing for Asteria. Namely, I rewatched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo, When Marnie was There, Totoro, Castle in the Sky, The Cat Returns, and Howl's Moving Castle. Nausicaa always stuck out to me as a character, since her love for nature and animals just felt so genuine, and that was really something I wanted to incorporate into Abel's character! And OneShot has always been a game I've loved, and Niko's personality and childlike wonder definitely influenced Abel.

Casting Abel was actually quite difficult, haha. This project is being paid for out of my own pocket, so I wasn't able to put a bunch of money into VO. Due to this, I thought not many people would audition, but turns out, plenty of voice actors are open to voicing for passion projects like this, which is really great! A VA acquaintance named Lisa-Marie Lee helped me make the casting call, and thus, I sent the document out to Twitter. A lot of casting calls are posted on Twitter, many even being posted by industry professionals, so I felt like that'd be the best place to post it. The deadline for auditions was one week, and in that one week, I got 167 auditions! I was pretty open to Abel having a more masculine or a more feminine sounding voice, so I got a wide array of auditions, which was great to see. I basically sifted through the auditions, hand-picked the ones I thought best fit, and then HaikuHello and I hopped in a call, listened to the hand-picked auditions again, and made our decision. Eventually, we settled on casting a professional voice actor from Malaysia named Su Ling Chan! The first time I ever heard Su Ling's voice was at a GameStop, actually. They were playing a trailer for a game called No Straight Roads (Which Su voices one of the two playable characters in) on one of their monitors, and I remember the volume being REALLY LOUD for some reason. So that memory stuck with me for some reason! In the Email she sent alongside her audition, and in the Email she sent in response to the news that she had been cast, she described Abel as a "precious cinnamon roll", which I 100% agree with, haha. She actually mentioned to me that she had a lot of fun voicing Abel, and that she felt very cute during the recording session, which is great!

Welp, that's my long ramble over. I don't really get to talk about the behind the scenes process of stuff like this often, so this was quite fun to get out there!
Noipoi Noipoi Metal Shop X Metal Shop X MooMew64 MooMew64 Wademan94 Wademan94 If ya got some time to kill, this might interest ya, haha.
The promised time is nearly upon us-

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Same reason why basketball is a 5v5 game instead of a have the entire bench play the game. It would be too cluttered and just not fun to watch nor play.

Except there’s no league. You’re battling wild Pokémon! I get the out of universe game balance reason. But in universe, all it is is exploration and wild battles.
Oh you poor summer child.
I was born in February and I was told by people here there were no trainer battles

Noipoi

Howdy!
Except there’s no league. You’re battling wild Pokémon! I get the out of universe game balance reason. But in universe, all it is is exploration and wild battles.

I was born in February and I was told by people here there were no trainer battles
There are several trainer battles. One of the toughest trainer encounters in the series is in this game.

There just aren't trainers lining every route.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

In universe a 15 year old isn't going to lug around a bag of 40+ Pokémon in addition to a bag filled with all sorts of empty Poke Balls, Healing items, Candies, Berries and the random **** they find lying around

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
There are several trainer battles. One of the toughest trainer encounters in the series is in this game.

Also, I wanna touch on this. This may be unpopular as ****, but I ****ing HATE trainer battles. Like, I don't mind the occassional mandatory battle every once in a while, but when the routes have like 70 unavoidable trainers in a row it just becomes a massive ass slog just to get to the next town. The modern games do a much better job at them because a majority are avoidable if you know the tricks of the trade but playing BDSP made me realize just how ****ing bad and braindead boring they can truly be when they're relentless.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Also, I wanna touch on this. This may be unpopular as ****, but I ****ing HATE trainer battles. Like, I don't mind the occassional mandatory battle every once in a while, but when the routes have like 70 unavoidable trainers in a row it just becomes a massive ass slog just to get to the next town. The modern games do a much better job at them because a majority are avoidable if you know the tricks of the trade but playing BDSP made me realize just how ****ing bad and braindead boring they can truly be when they're relentless.
Eh, I like em. But I agree that they should be easily avoidable for those who don't. Getting stopped every three steps to participate in a five minute encounter when you just want to walk isn't very fun.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Eh, I like em. But I agree that they should be easily avoidable for those who don't. Getting stopped every three steps to participate in a five minute encounter when you just want to walk isn't very fun.
I feel like my biggest issue is that they all have like teams of 1 trashmon so it's basically a wild battle except no chance to catch and no way to flee with little EXP gain and much longer because you gotta watch the trainer animations and stuff.

Maybe if they made them harder and sped up battles I'd like them much more.

Like Legends Arceus did.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I feel like my biggest issue is that they all have like teams of 1 trashmon so it's basically a wild battle except no chance to catch and no way to flee with little EXP gain and much longer because you gotta watch the trainer animations and stuff.

Maybe if they made them harder and sped up battles I'd like them much more.

Like Legends Arceus did.
I’m fine with ScarVio not taking everything from PLA.

But they need the faster battles.

I’ve been shown the light and I can’t live like how I used to anymore.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Also just in general keep the difficulty from Legends, that one is the biggest improvement they could have given the 3D games.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I’m just confused now. Why are there even trainer battles in the game at all if it’s supposed to be primarily about exploring and junk. What do they accomplish? Is it just tradition?

Shroob

Sup?
I’m just confused now. Why are there even trainer battles in the game at all if it’s supposed to be primarily about exploring and junk. What do they accomplish? Is it just tradition?
I mean, in a way, every Pokemon game is about exploring. You're basically playing out the story of a kid leaving home for the first time and seeing the world in every non-PLA game.

It's just that until recently, you were forced on a single path and were only allowed to explore when the game wanted you to explore.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
There’s still a plot. Every battle is a part of that plot. You’re just not forced to do the plot until you feel like it.

You can spend hours upon hours just exploring before you’re ready to continue the story, and that’s kinda what they expect you to do.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
There’s still a plot. Every battle is a part of that plot. You’re just not forced to do the plot until you feel like it.

You can spend hours upon hours just exploring before you’re ready to continue the story, and that’s kinda what they expect you to do.
So why even bother having a story? Would you, personally, feel that Legends would be a less fulfilling experience if it was just “venture forth” and then “congratulations, you beat the big thing” at the end of the experience? Cause from my perspective, people who care about exploring and open worlds don’t give two ****s about story.

I know I’m just digging myself deeper. But **** it. Right now I’m in the mood to go through to the center of the earth.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So my hopes for ScarVio:

Bring back unbreakable TMs who tf asked for them to break again aside from nostalgiababies

Maybe a little harder. No Pokemon game is hard, but there is 2 that stand out as hacing a bit of difficulty, being Gen 7 and PLA. Maybe around that level would be neat. Not tough, but maybe reuquire some strategy

EXP share being balanced. Gen 7, BDSP and PLA did a good job with this, so I expect them to have EXP share being good. It's a good feature that was just ruined by X&Y having broken scaling.

Good dex. Yeah.

Remove trade evos. SwSh and PLA phased them out (SwSh you can find all of them in the overworld and PLA does that and maked them usable items instead), so I hope this time they're gone for good or you can get them easily.

No HMs. A given.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So why even bother having a story? Would you, personally, feel that Legends would be a less fulfilling experience if it was just “venture forth” and then “congratulations, you beat the big thing” at the end of the experience? Cause from my perspective, people who care about exploring and open worlds don’t give two ****s about story.

I know I’m just digging myself deeper. But **** it. Right now I’m in the mood to go through to the center of the earth.
I dunno man, a decent story can enhance an open world game. If it’s non-intrusive, and the game let’s you do what you want until you personally feel like returning to the plot, then I have no problem with it.

And while the story in Legends is kinda basic, I don’t feel like it takes anything away from the game. The characters are pretty charming, for the most part. And there’s some interesting lore. The game would be lesser without it, imo.

Still fun, as the gameplay is radical. But I don’t know if I’d like being dumped in the wild with no one to talk to, and no objectives.

Shroob

Sup?
So my hopes for ScarVio:

Bring back unbreakable TMs who tf asked for them to break again aside from nostalgiababies

Maybe a little harder. No Pokemon game is hard, but there is 2 that stand out as hacing a bit of difficulty, being Gen 7 and PLA. Maybe around that level would be neat. Not tough, but maybe reuquire some strategy

EXP share being balanced. Gen 7, BDSP and PLA did a good job with this, so I expect them to have EXP share being good. It's a good feature that was just ruined by X&Y having broken scaling.

Good dex. Yeah.

Remove trade evos. SwSh and PLA phased them out (SwSh you can find all of them in the overworld and PLA does that and maked them usable items instead), so I hope this time they're gone for good or you can get them easily.

No HMs. A given.
Coliseum would like to have a word with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom