• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
And here's one of my personal faves,

DAILY DEMON SHOWCASE

This showcase's demon is of the Femme race:

1642517832609.png

“I am Femme Jezebel. Queen of Israel. Servant of Baal. The incandescent flower that devours all.”

Alignment: Dark-Chaos

Origin: Christian mythology. A Phoenician queen and wife of King Ahab of Israel. When a believer of Yahweh, Elijah defeated the diviners of Baal and Asherah, she tried to kill him. After her husband and sons’ death, the new king Jehu ordered her to be killed by defenestration, and her remains were left for the dogs. All this was as prophesied by Elijah, as retribution for killing a man for his vineyard. Jezebel is commonly associated with false prophets and temptation.

Skills: Maragidyne, Fogna, Marakunda, Donum Magici

Next time, you will meet a demon of the Haunt race.

Jezebel has one of the most positively unsettling designs in the entire franchise, hands down. It’s incredibly creepy how her body parts grow out as flowers, reflecting her final moments as a queen dressed in her finest only to be torn apart in pieces… dark but brilliant. Other than being a boss in Devil Survivor, Jezebel appeared in no other game which is a huge missed opportunity considering how cool she would look in 3D.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well that came completely out of nowhere. Why would they buy a company with such an awful reputation?
I think ActiBlizz wanted it so they don't have to deal with shareholders telling them to change.

Problem is, MS isn't going to let them loose.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Y'know, there's one thing I'm kinda curious about when it comes to this site and Smash, how were Brawl newcomers perceived and what ideas did people have for their moveset? Like, people say Kirby only got new characters because of bias but Meta Knight and Dedede were popular requests and people like to say K.Rool was a Brawl era request when people didn't really care for him as much as Diddy was seen as a priority
Going off of memory the reception for each character went something like this:

:snake:- A very surprising, but also somewhat controversial newcomer as some felt he didn't 'fit' Smash. Since he was an early addition it lessened over time, but it still lingered. One thing I will note is that his inclusion did open the door for third party characters and that was seen as a major breakthrough as that meant beloved characters like Sonic, Simon and Mega Man were now completely viable.

:sonic:- Very huge, he was a very popular request back in the day so him actually appearing in his trailer really got people excited. It was enough that it even overtook the announcement that the game would be delayed.

:metaknight:/:dedede: - Pretty much what you said. I do remember a couple people going Kirby bias after the game released, but it didn't get much traction (unless you're talking SSE) and the general opinion at the time was very positive with them as they were basically 'it's about time' additions.

:pit:, :wario:, :diddy: - Very well received, again they had the feeling of 'it's about time' for all of them as they were very popular requests that many felt should be in the game due to their history.

:ike:- Also well received as he was one of the most popular choices for FE and in general, he did get a little bit of controversy after the game came out and Roy was MIA but compared to Lucario it was nowhere near as bad.

:lucas:- Pretty well received, did have a bit of controversy early on as some felt he would replace Ness, but after the latter was confirmed to return that died down.

:zerosuitsamus:- She was a surprising inclusion as many did not think the Metroid newcomer would be Samus without a suit and there was some saltiness towards her after it was clear we weren't getting another Metroid newcomer alongside her. Other than that though, I can't speak too much for her as the others seemed to have more extreme reactions from what I recall.

:pt: - Another surprising inclusion, but much more positively received. Having a 3-in-1 character with some popular Pokemon went over very well with the fanbase and a lot of fans were on board with him. The only real knock against him that I remember is his gameplay as after the game released a lot of people felt the mechanic was too clunky.

:lucario:- Oh boy, this poor guy had it rough. During the pre-release period he had little issue as many felt he would be the choice for a Pokemon newcomer if one was chosen from a later generation, and after seeing those like Deoxys deconfirmed over time that feeling grew even more. However, once the game released and Mewtwo was MIA he went from being a generally accepted choice to one of the most controversial period as people really didn't like that he 'replaced' Mewtwo. That negativity stuck with him for years to the point that Smash 4 even had a 'wall of shame' for the absolute bile the guy was getting, and it's probably one of the reasons he's not very popular in Smash unlike his main series counterpart,

:wolf:- If you want to talk characters that had bias accusations, look no further then this guy. As the last character added in the game alongside Toon Link and ROB he bore quite a bit of the blunt of the criticism at the time as many either felt Star Fox didn't 'deserve' a new character over some of the other franchises, along with some being upset that they chose him over Krystal. His opinion has improved over time, but initially his reception was poor.

:rob:- Basically like every other surprise character we've gotten. People complained about how it got in over the more popular newcomer choices and felt he was a 'wasted' slot. He also had a bit of a surprise factor due to the SSE reveal and the ROB enemies convincing people we wouldn't get the character, though I do remember one person getting the twist before the game released.

:toonlink: - Got the least amount of hate out of the last three, but still got a good amount of it due to being among the last characters and just being another clone of Link rather than using his Wind Waker toolset.

:olimar:- This one I admit I don't have the best memory of. I do remember him being a generally accepted newcomer, but his actual reveal is a blank for me as he came around the time the leak was really getting traction, so how he fared is something I don't recall with the best memory.

Again though, this is going off of memory so this may not be 100% accurate. I'd love to hear from anyone else from around that time to compare and flesh this out as it's a cool part of speculation history.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Got to hold a movie picture $20 bill. Kind of neat to look at.

What's not neat is I accidentally accepted it from a customer for a transaction. :urg:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well, that's certainly something to wake up to. It was weird with Bethesda, but not out of the question, but Microsoft buying Activision is certainly an eye-opener. Makes me think about that article about Microsoft wanting to buy a Japanese company.

That said, while I hope Microsoft does try to do something about Activision's currant state, we probably won't find out until after Activision is fully bought out. As it was mentioned, Bobby is going to stay as CEO who has to report up to Phil Spencer currently and we won't see what happens to him until Activision is fully bought out. While I don't hold high hopes since Microsoft is still very much a company, if Microsoft deals with and changes the scenario happening at Activision-Blizzard, good on them.

That said:
Phil Spencer: "We can't do a Microsoft crossover like Smash Bros as we hardly have any interesting 1st party characters compared to Nintendo."
Microsoft: buys companies with notable 1st parties and now has Crash Bandicoot, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Spyro, Guitar Hero, Skylanders, Sekiro, Warcraft, Starcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, King's Quest, Wolfenstein, Quake, Destiny, The Evil Within, Pitfall, and even the rights for the Tony Hawk games
Phil:

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So i played that demo for the cursed switch 'port' of Kingdom hearts HD.

Wow, it feels like they just ported the PS2 version to the Switch rather than they HD version with how blurry it looked on my end.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sometimes I forget that this is a Smash forum and tbh I prefer it that way
Hey, if Microsoft keeps their good relations with Nintendo, Nintendo practically has a gold mine of IPs they could get from teaming with Microsoft for Smash characters. And the good news is by the time the next Smash comes out, Crash Bandicoot won't be tied to Activision's image by then.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Well that came completely out of nowhere. Why would they buy a company with such an awful reputation?
My hopes is that one of the reasons they're buying that company is to get rid of Bobby and therefore get rid of all the sexual harassment that's been happening at Activision-Blizzard.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Well, that's certainly something to wake up to. It was weird with Bethesda, but not out of the question, but Microsoft buying Activision is certainly an eye-opener. Makes me think about that article about Microsoft wanting to buy a Japanese company.

That said, while I hope Microsoft does try to do something about Activision's currant state, we probably won't find out until after Activision is fully bought out. As it was mentioned, Bobby is going to stay as CEO who has to report up to Phil Spencer currently and we won't see what happens to him until Activision is fully bought out. While I don't hold high hopes since Microsoft is still very much a company, if Microsoft deals with and changes the scenario happening at Activision-Blizzard, good on them.

That said:
Phil Spencer: "We can't do a Microsoft crossover like Smash Bros as we hardly have any interesting 1st party characters compared to Nintendo."
Microsoft: buys companies with notable 1st parties and now has Crash Bandicoot, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Spyro, Guitar Hero, Skylanders, Sekiro, Warcraft, Starcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, King's Quest, Wolfenstein, Quake, Destiny, The Evil Within, Pitfall, and even the rights for the Tony Hawk games
Phil:
PS All Stars is shivering its timbers rn

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also, anyone else kinda concered about Microsoft buying every game company nowadays?

I mean, yeah they're allowed to he on other platforms that they are mod friemdly, but idk, it's kinda reminding me of Disney and their buyouts.

Also, they spent 70 for ****ing Activison, seriously? C'mon they got scammed, CoD and Crash ain't that good.
I honestly think/hope they did this deal to weed out Blizzard since no one else was gonna do it. My guess is once the deal settles, there will be a lot of restructuring and firing. At least I hope that happens. COD and Overwatch, alongside WOW will definitely make that money back though overtime.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I honestly hope they did this deal to weed out Blizzard since no one else was gonna do it. My guess is once the deal settles, there will be a lot of restructuring and firing. At least I hope that happens. COD and Overwatch, alongside WOW will definitely make that money back though overtime.
Fixed cause we need to be honest. Microsoft did not do this mainly to fix Activision-Blizzard's image. Activision owns Call of Duty, as well as some notable IPs like Crash Bandicoot, Tony Hawk and Warcraft(and therefore World of Warcraft). That's more than enough for any company to want to get a hold on Activision. Microsoft is still first and foremost a company and to a company, money is still the main priority.

Granted, there is the possible benefit of Microsoft changing Activision-Blizzard for the better. Microsoft is quite aware of the view people have on Activision-Blizzard and considering people will now be looking at them in regards to Activision-Blizzard's state, it would not be surprising if they started working on Activision after the buyout. After all, fixing Activision-Blizzard and getting into people's good books is just one more way of getting more money. It's different priorities, but the possible benefits this can have are still there.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Guys, how do you feel about this?

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'm in utter shock. At this point I'm expecting Sony to do something insane like buy Take Two or Ubisoft. If we continue down this road eventually it will just be the big three and a few medium-sized and indie developers.

And now the Microsoft competition for Smash is extra fierce. Master Chief, Dragonborn, Doomguy, Crash, Spyro, Overwatch, Diablo, etc. **** is insane.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Decided gonna watch The Edge tonight. Still in that survival movie kick apparently.

Will get to watching Alien and Aliens soon enough though.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I hope Sony has a good response to this. Unfortunately they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot with PC ports, removing all reason to buy their consoles. And with Nintendo being so easy to emulate, I fear a PC monopoly in the near future. Why buy one console when you can buy a PC that plays the exclusives of all three?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I hope Sony has a good response to this. Unfortunately they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot with PC ports, removing all reason to buy their consoles. And with Nintendo being so easy to emulate, I fear a PC monopoly in the near future. Why buy one console when you can buy a PC that plays the exclusives of all three?
That's why Nintendo keeps thanos snapping rom sites, silly.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
TIL: Shooting yourself in the foot is listening to the demand and putting out quality PC ports that sell really well.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
There's virtually no way Microsoft buys Sony or Nintendo. That would violate so much ****, so they're safe.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony started doing a **** ton if buyouts in response. So all that be left untouched would be Nintendo and Indies, and even then indies aren't safe.

This buyout thing is not good for the industry, I tell ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom