• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Say what you will about the dexit issue itself.

But the effects it’s had on this fanbase have been ****in awful.
TBH it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Pokémon fans were already starting to crack back on Alola, it's just they kept telling themselves: "The Pokémon MMO of our dreams is coming any day now! They're on an HD system, they have to give us open world Pokémon! THEY HAVE TO. IT'S GONNA HAPPEN, SHUT UP."

And then SwSh happened.

And then angry YT people who's only gimmick is "me angy gib clik" made millions of videos on how TPC and GF are actually the devil himself, and will destroy life as we know it unless I can catch a Lilligant.

We then got the "HIRE THIS MAN" crowd coming out in full force claiming that Billy Bob in his basement working on his cool hobby has more experience and knowledge than someone who's worked in the industry for decades.

We also have people who don't understand what deadlines, mismanagement, and corporate politics are.

And then people demonized anyone who was level headed (poor Joe Merrick).

Some scars never heal.

And that's not to say TPC, GF, and Nintendo are free from criticism (anyone who knows me here knows I'm one of their biggest critics, despite being a SwSh mega fan), however, that's not what like, 99% of the discourse is. Most of the discussion is just screaming bloody murder into the void because the funny monster catching game didn't do a BotW, despite never being promised that in the first place.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
SwSh were doodoo caca but I feel like I could've enjoyed them a little more if it wasn't for my Twitter timeline constantly telling me it's gonna be Big Rigs: Pokémon Edition

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I tend to trust audience scores more than critic scores, because professional film critics (and even unprofessional ones) look at films in a different way than us normal folk do. Not to say the movie’s definitely great, but y’know.
Critics often tend to look for the qualities within the film such as pacing, story, script writing, how well the characters were written and developed etc. Audiences on the other hand tend to focus more on the enjoyability of the film.

I will say I only tend to follow at least 3 or 4 critics depending on the genre of the film such as Movie Couple, Dan Murrell, Brandon Davis etc. On the other hand there are some critics that I don't personally trust such as Forbes' Scott Mendelson and Roger Ebert who are what I consider as critics who are hard to please and provide harsh reviews.

I will say sometimes I will only agree with certain reviews if it lines up with my opinion based on what I saw.

I've already given my review yesterday on my thoughts of the Eternals in whilst I don't exactly agree with the Rotten Tomatoes score, I do believe that there are still a number of areas that needed to improve.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Tbh, the game was just OK at best. Some of the critisism was valid, it did look like ass, the story was utter trash, dynamaxing sucked **** and is probably never returning because GF dropped the idea in the games they were introduced, linear route design, one note characters, useless teams, etc...

But the gameplay was rock solid as usual, and fun is to be had. It just pales in comparison to the other Pokemon games and didn't really do much for leap onto a much stronger hardware. Imo, I think X&Y was a bit more ambitious in that regard.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Tbh, the game was just OK at best. Some of the critisism was valid, it did look like ass, the story was utter trash, dynamaxing sucked **** and is probably never returning because GF dropped the idea in the games they were introduced, linear route design, one note characters, useless teams, etc...

But the gameplay was rock solid as usual, and fun is to be had. It just pales in comparison to the other Pokemon games and didn't really do much for leap onto a much stronger hardware. Imo, I think X&Y was a bit more ambitious in that regard.
For as average as XY was, I can at least give it a slight pass because they had to remake the entire world in full 3D, and they redid over 600 models for Pokémon. That’s definitely where most of their time went.

Sword and Shield hasn’t really done anything like that. The models are similar If not identical to what they’ve been, and the openness of the world is just “look larger buildings”

Thankfully legends seems to be expanding on that by adding more to make the world feel larger besides just buildings.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

I'll be honest

The biggest reason I like the game so much is just because I really liked the core gameplay. Also, I'm a Pokémon breeder, and they added so much in regards to QoL to that.

Plus people can say what they want, but IMHO the Galar 'Mons were consistently rockin' designs IMHO.

But yeah no the game was obviously rushed and probably needed another year in the oven, as shown from how both DLCs were 100x better than basegame from what I've heard, lol. Yes I still need to play the DLC I'm gonna do it after Metroid.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

Speaking of, I've seen some jumping onto the XY bandwagon.

Give it a year or two and we'll have the new BW.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'll be honest

The biggest reason I like the game so much is just because I really liked the core gameplay. Also, I'm a Pokémon breeder, and they added so much in regards to QoL to that.

Plus people can say what they want, but IMHO the Galar 'Mons were consistently rockin' designs IMHO.

But yeah no the game was obviously rushed and probably needed another year in the oven, as shown from how both DLCs were 100x better than basegame from what I've heard, lol. Yes I still need to play the DLC I'm gonna do it after Metroid.
I will say, the DLC was actually really fun. Somehow better than the base game, which is... kinda sad?

Won't say much on the Gen 8 mons, they rocked. Then again, James Turner gotten significantly better at designing as the times passed by.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Say what you will about the dexit issue itself.

But the effects it’s had on this fanbase have been ****in awful.
I've mostly removed myself from the pokemon fanbase these days, which kind of sucks because I was really deep into the community before.

I'm so excited for Pokemon Legends but I'm afraid to step back into the pokemon community to share that excitement because if all the toxicty flying around these days.

Reddit and Twitter fueling outrage culture does not help.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
TBH it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Pokémon fans were already starting to crack back on Alola, it's just they kept telling themselves: "The Pokémon MMO of our dreams is coming any day now! They're on an HD system, they have to give us open world Pokémon! THEY HAVE TO. IT'S GONNA HAPPEN, SHUT UP."

And then SwSh happened.

And that's not to say TPC, GF, and Nintendo are free from criticism (anyone who knows me here knows I'm one of their biggest critics, despite being a SwSh mega fan), however, that's not what like, 99% of the discourse is. Most of the discussion is just screaming bloody murder into the void because the funny monster catching game didn't do a BotW, despite never being promised that in the first place.
Being very honest, I can see bit of where they come from. Just their noise is the issue.

After seeing a lot of Nintendo franchises make decent jumps on the Switch I can understand the disappointment in Pokemon. Mario Odyssey, BOTW, Smash Ultimate, Metroid Dread, FE Three Houses, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Xenoblade 1 remake and 2 (jury's a bit out on the latter), Splatoon 2 and even the very promising Kirby and the Forgotten Land. All are considering fantastic games worthy on the Switch.

I can see the frustration as to why Pokemon hasn't made that grand jump instead of it all. Not to mention being the most profitable IP in the world. Dexit isn't my reason but it's more that it feels like the series has lost a bit of direction.

Still, I've moved away from the fanbase, not really my thing anymore.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
All things considering, the last few gens have had some amazing designs for Pokémon. Between the regionals and new mons l, there’s a lot of Pokémon I consider instant classics or icons from them.

Toxcritity, dragapault,Obstagoon, Graploct are some of my favorites from Gen 8.

From Gen 7, Decideueye, alolan ninetails, passimian, the ultra beasts, wishiwashi are some of my
Favorites just to name a few.

There’s a lot of other great mon designs though.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The buildings being larger isnt even the worse or the problem. Honestly what I dislike more is they show you these big buildings, making you go

“man I can’t wait to see what cool things are in there”

And then you can’t go into a majority of buildings or houses in the game. Or they have like one floor modeled.

That’s really disappointing and just makes the game feel smaller in scale, and the world a lot less lived in.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The buildings being larger isnt even the worse or the problem. Honestly what I dislike more is they show you these big buildings, making you go

And then you can’t go into a majority of buildings or houses in the game. Or they have like one floor modeled.

That’s really disappointing and just makes the game feel smaller in scale, and the world a lot less lived in.
This right here is one of my biggest gripes with the game. You got cities like this
GkBrrYPbDDyv8BMy4W4ghX.jpg
048_Motostoke.jpg

But you can only access like 4 of the buildings, and all the cool yet minor points of interest? Locked.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How’s everyone today? uwu

thinking about what I should do today…
A lot better then I was last month, still having my urine issue but isn't as bothersome, gonna make another appointment this week to see if more antibiotics can deal with the rest that remains.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Pretty much every monster catching game does this part, but i guess expectations are too high because the only game in that genre most people played Pokemon

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Pretty much every monster catching game does this part, but i guess expectations are too high because the only game in that genre most people played Pokemon
Yeah but the older Pokémon games were built on that type of exploration.

Even outside of cities there would be random buildings. Like where you go to get fly in Red and Blue/Every Kanto game.

Or Hoenn where the shard house is literally in the middle of the ocean. if your going to put buildings in any game they should be exploitable.

Look at say Zelda, most games the villages don’t offer to many crazy things, but there’s still tons of houses and all of them are exploitable with a few having quests, but most have nothing.

It shouldn’t be unexpected in any game for buildings to be exploitable if there and you can literally walk up to the front door. If they were in a background that’s one thing, but not when in the foreground.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
On the note of Megas and Dynamax, I'll be honest and say I wouldn't mind if GF put the gimmicks on the backburners for a generation and refocused on what they wanted to do. All of their gimmicks share a similar problem that has not gotten any better in how they've been implemented, and even their most popular go around still have a few major flaws that they didn't fully fix up with the next generation such as poor balancing. I understand that they want a hook for each generation, but it's leading to bloat since they're being rotated out for the next new thing instead of being expanded and improved on, and as a result all of them get left in a state of unfulfilled potential.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
despite how they usually are with anything LGBT, ya gotta give Disney credit for not interfering with Eternals (and tbh every other LGBT moment throughout all of Marvel) despite making more money worldwide by keeping things as straight as possible

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This made me irrationally mad as a kid lol
View attachment 337033
What game is this? It looks like a more outdated Paper Mario Sticker Star.

Why do the toads have distinguishing features? Also what the hell are those lame ocs with Mario?

Where’s my based color splash?

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Isn’t Game Freak gonna cut Pokémon for BDSP and Legends:Arceus? I don’t really 100% know if they’re gonna do that again.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Isn’t Game Freak gonna cut Pokémon for BDSP and Legends:Arceus? I don’t really 100% know if they’re gonna do that again.
BDSP has the first 493 and legends has who knows how many or what Pokémon. It also likely doesn’t have a lot of Pokémon because it’s the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom