• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Am I the only one who just doesn’t see a point to Smash after Ultimate? What’s the point of bringing everyone back only to take them all away again? Ultimate is officially over, and I am not exactly optimistic about Smash’s future, if it even has any.
Regardless of warnings, the future doesn’t scare me at all.

So, did anyone else saw the fighters turning into trophies and at first thought, the last fighter was Tabuu or was it just me?
Same. I got super excited.

I'll admit, when they first showed the dark room with all the trophies, I totally thought it'd be Tabuu, and I got visibly excited, which is rare for these Smash reveals.

So when the Keyblade appeared, my excitement died down a bit.

That said, though I don't have a meaningful personal attachment to Kingdom Hearts, I perfectly understand the significance of this inclusion. So I'm content.

I'm not really disappointed that it wasn't Tabuu, because I've known that was wishful thinking from the start. Happy for you Sora fans. He looks like he'll be a blast.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

something for the Mikey mains

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I'm coming back to thinking about how I feel about Sora, as someone who's not invested at all into Kingdom Hearts (I read the first two volumes of the manga in middle school and that's it), and I find that despite not caring about Sora or the series at all, I'm actually really glad Kingdom Hearts made it in.

Growing up, while I wasn't into the series, I was never oblivious to the fact that millions of people definitely were. The trailers and marketing to the games were always so lavish, you couldn't go anywhere on the internet without bumping into it, and regardless of my feelings on some qualities of the series, its designs and art and music are all great. For almost 20 years, Kingdom Hearts has been such a big part of people's lives, such a big part of gaming culture, especially during the 2000's, which is when most Smash fans grew up in some way, too.

So, Sora/Kingdom Hearts getting in right at the closing is very fitting. This is the end of an era for Smash. The next game that comes out is going to have a totally different roster--Ness and Captain Falcon will probably be gone. It's going to be a long while before the next Smash game, and when it comes, it's going to be reflective of a new time in history, rather than looking back to the old era. And while that whole era has been defined by Super Smash Bros. across the years, for many people, it was also defined by Kingdom Hearts. While it didn't touch me, it was a series that touched millions in a way that few games, no matter how popular they are, ever do. That much is represented by the fact that Sakurai admitted Sora was one of the most popular, or the most popular, character in the ballot.

It's not a series significant to me personally, but it's a series significant to the same era/history as Smash. Like Cloud, Banjo & Kazooie, or Mega Man, Sora was a pipe dream character that people in the 2000's could hardly expect would ever be added to the series. That one of the most significant fighting games in history, the most significant gaming crossover in history, finishing a legacy that spans 20 years, ends with one of the most significant series of that 20 years, I'm happy to see it.

EDIT: I'm also just realizing now that this sentiment is represented by the trailer. You have the burning Smash logo with the whole cast of characters present, but the fire of the logo fades, signifying the end of this saga of Smash as we know it. But instead of it merely fading away into darkness, it's punctuated by the bright and flashy arrival of something significant and emotional for people, as welcomed by Mario himself. I thought the trailer was oddly weak and unusual before, but now it makes sense.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm coming back to thinking about how I feel about Sora, as someone who's not invested at all into Kingdom Hearts (I read the first two volumes of the manga in middle school and that's it), and I find that despite not caring about Sora or the series at all, I'm actually really glad Kingdom Hearts made it in.

Growing up, while I wasn't into the series, I was never oblivious to the fact that millions of people definitely were. The trailers and marketing to the games were always so lavish, you couldn't go anywhere on the internet without bumping into it, and regardless of my feelings on some qualities of the series, its designs and art and music are all great. For almost 20 years, Kingdom Hearts has been such a big part of people's lives, such a big part of gaming culture, especially during the 2000's, which is when most Smash fans grew up in some way, too.
As a kid growing up on the internet in the mid-late 2000s, Kingdom Hearts was inescapable. I enoyed a lot of the fan content, even though I barely had a clue what was going on.

I’ve always been a little fond of it, despite never properly getting into the games themselves.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Tnh I tuned out of Smash speculation a long time ago. I still play the game but I didn't really have any realistic wants so I was just along for the ride.

Can't say I have strong feelings about Sora but it is really strange to have a Disney character in the roster. My sisters are both huge Disnerds and I'm a bit of one myself so having direct Mickey Mouse and Peter Pan references in a Smash trailer just feels so bizarre. I never thought Sora was impossible but I'm still having a tough time proccessing that that just happened.
Hey, they aren’t wrong.
And people called me crazy for shipping Scrimblo Bimblo with Anime McJRPGguy.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
So I guess we pretty much know NASB's DLC lineup, there's a bunch of announcer lines for them in the game's files lol.

EDIT: Looking at it a bit more, I guess people are saying they could be placeholders?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
We really are never allowed to make "Square is stingy" memes anymore lol.

SE fans were eatin' this game.
Remember the conspiracy theories people were coming up with as to how we could get both Hero and Sephiroth as DLC?

"Oh, obviously SE forced poor Sakurai to put more SE characters in exchange for bringing Cloud back, so having more characters actually proves that SE is super stingy."

I mean technically Sora is Disney but c'mon SE still probably got some say.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Remember the conspiracy theories people were coming up with as to how we could get both Hero and Sephiroth as DLC?

"Oh, obviously SE forced poor Sakurai to put more SE characters in exchange for bringing Cloud back, so having more characters actually proves that SE is super stingy."

I mean technically Sora is Disney but c'mon SE still probably got some say.
SE definitely got say. Disney has final word on what happens, but Nomura is still involved. The series is pretty much his baby, after all.

MooMew64

When all is said and done, am I happy with Ultimate?

45pghxwpxgs21.jpg

11/10, my dudes.

A better online would've made it perfect, but as is, there are ways to make the online...Usable, so at least it isn't a total disaster. The game is truly incredible, and I'll be playing it for years to come.

This song here kinda comes to mind for me right now and fits my mood pretty well:

There's a melancholy to it all being over, but that doesn't mean Smash goes away. We have not only Ultimate, but all the old ones as well, and even the cool fanmade ones we can celebrate.

'Cause at the end of the day,

Super Smash Bros. is a cool game.

Thank you, Sakurai, developers at Nintendo, Bamco, and more.

And while he may no longer be with us...

Thank you, Mr. Iwata.

What? You wanted something more? But I kept saying all the other times were the last time! Oh, alright...

One more won't hurt.

goochampemote.png

GOOGI

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, I remembered when I got the Playstation 2 console in which I bought this along with Final Fantasy X due to the idea of having some Disney characters and Final Fantasy based characters crossing over with each other. That's what drew me in to Kingdom Hearts franchise.

Personally, Kingdom Hearts II was my favourite out of the series.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
In a way, Sora was kinda a bookend for me. During the time I was into Brawl and saw people talking about Sora, I thought of a potential crossover idea for Kingdom Hearts x Smash and drew some of the characters in KH inspired outfits. I don’t know if I still have those drawings but if I find them I’ll share them here

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
My only real complaint with Smash Ultimate as a whole is no Level 5 content aside from Guv from Dragon Quest 8.

Other than that i cant really complain.

MooMew64

I think

We've all earned

a restttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
For real man, get some sleep. Y'all earned it.

As for me, I may take a day or two break from here again and come back on Friday. Wanna really just soak it all in that Ultimate is gonna be complete in a few weeks and speculation is finally over.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's finally complete.

Wallpaper
. Mural renders by ElevenZM.

I'll still be making cosmetic changes here and there, especially the mural background to make a better balance with the negative space, but I knew I'd overcomplicate it if I tried to include every unique character that premiered with Ultimate. And with the Deluxe artwork, I'm probably going to do that later as I can't open the large file without my computer exploding.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm still super conflicted on how I really feel about Sora because I personally didn't find the games to be that enjoyable and hated almost everything regarding the main story...

But man was he one of, if not the best choice to cap off Ultimate. The enthusiasm from everyone has been enough to even make me excited, and I'm honestly considering revisiting the series at some point to see if my opinion on it has changed after nearly a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom