• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
**** it’s hitting me

After three years, three whole years.

Smash Ultimate is ending bros.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m ready for this.

But it’s so weird
View attachment 325776
And yet.... I still kind of wish it wasn't ending. It's just so fun getting all of these characters. I know it is ending, it has to end sometimes after all, and nothing we say or do can change that. But especially since it's probably gonna end on a low point like every other smash cycle (aside from Smash4's DLC you guys a friggin nuts how tf is Bayonetta not hype?), it makes me just want it to keep going on. Like... when you know the end is gonna be disappointing... why would you actually want it to end?

Now since we know it IS ending after this, I want it to happen as soon as possible just to get it over with. But if I had a choice... it wouldn't end here that's for sure.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
tbh, I don't keep up much with Smash Speculation, I only come on this thread most of the time 'cuz you guys are fun to be around.

Granted, sometime it get a bit stinky here, but what thread on the internet doesn't get stinky once in a while?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Speculation was never much fun TBH
It was for a while. But once we started getting definitive proof that really any character under the sun could come next, once you realize there are no rules, it becomes less fun. It's like watching BBC Sherlock and actually trying to solve the mystery yourself. You can't because you as an audience member aren't given all the clues. It stops being fun once you realize that the only way to figure it out is to basically get lucky.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I can see why you’d think that. It ain’t for everybody.

I think it used to be fun, cuz we used to have a lotta dumb **** to talk about.

Like all the weird coincidences that seemed to make the grinch leak seem real (though not the people trolling that sucked), or scrambling to figure out who it could be after Nintendo leaked SNK. That stuff is fun to me.

But it hasn’t been that way for a while.

Shroob

Sup?
Eh, that's entirely debatable imo.

Speculation based on nothing but theories and rando text leaks? Yeah, that's boring as ****, and currently where we're at.

Speculation on actual proven leaks? That's the fun part, because we get to discuss what kind of content said characters will bring with them and their fans get a nice sigh of relief.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I mean, I'll probably still be here for a while after the last character drops. I'm not going to discard this place simply because it's Smash branded and the ride is over...for now. The time to move on for me will come eventually, no doubt, but I'm not thinking about it anytime soon. Forums are simply more comfy for me than something like Discord. Call me a creature of habit, I guess.

And besides, this thread doesn't need Smash discussion to stay afloat.
I mean I guess but to me it still rings true a bit. Ideally wouldn't mind a middle bridge between here and Discord but you can't win them all.

I think for me it's that I want to keep these group of friends I've made and expand upon them. Never saying for something far-reaching like crossing countries and meeting up but you know still having these chats and maybe voice chat and just keep them growing.

You for example and not sure to say this in the open but we now know each other's real names and how are lives are like. I've interests with you that aren't Smash related and we could talk for ages if we had the time. Just keep being friends for a long time.

I think to some people's perspectives my way of thinking of friends sounds a bit selfish and I understand that but when I see people I personally know make leaps, it makes me want to try a bit.

Either way for some of yous, I'm tied to you all for a while longer.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I for one have never grew tired of speculation but I can see why other are.
I mean, it's just kinda dull right now since there's zero leads to go off of.

The Golden Age of speculation was April/May 2018 to November 2019, because we had stuff like Vergeben, the Brave Datamine, Shinobi's Banjo hint and the SNK leak.

Aside from Imran and Zhunge teasing Min Min and Steve, it's been dry as hell for 2 years now.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
idk, getting character leaked week/months in advance kinda ruin the actual reveal.

It be nice to get some hints about who the last character is, but I wouldn't want to know who they are too early on.

Shroob

Sup?
Also, my own personal bia here.

I love love LOVE the DLC characters, I do.

But honestly, aside from Joker, they all feel like incredibly, incredibly safe choices, Joker, and Plant, notwithstanding. Terry comes kinda close, but as someone who's been in the FGC community for a long time, Terry was a character I kinda always expected at one point.

I guess I'm just kinda surprised we haven't gotten a character who is like "Wait, huh? THEY got in? Why....?"

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Eh, that's entirely debatable imo.

Speculation based on nothing but theories and rando text leaks? Yeah, that's boring as ****, and currently where we're at.

Speculation on actual proven leaks? That's the fun part, because we get to discuss what kind of content said characters will bring with them and their fans get a nice sigh of relief.
which is why I think revealing all the characters at once the way Street Fighter 5 did it (until Luke messed it all up) or the way NRS has been doing it since MKX would be a lot better. Sure, these little reveal trailers are fun and seeing the buildup to the surprise of either what character it's gonna be or if the trailer even is a Smash trailer or not like with Joker and Pyra/Mythra is a fun little dopamine rush, from the standpoint of a fan, it's always more fun to speculate on how the character is going to be done, rather then which character is gonna show up. Because there we actually have clues to work with. It's why there are entire youtube channels dedicated to "what if this character was in Smash". That's the fun part. For us anyway.

And don't try to tell me that selling the pass based on mystery is more compelling then selling the pass based on solid cool characters from the get go.

Seriously. More fighting games need to take the NRS approach. Especially since no NRS DLC character has ever been disappointing. Like... look at the DLC lineups for each of their games. There are no "this character isn't going to be all that hype" picks. It's all either fan favorite veterans or mind blowing guest characters. The philosophy of "this character isn't going to be as hype as the others so we'll do them last" just doesn't apply over there. And a similar thing happened with Killer Instinct. Everyone is amazing. And it makes you wonder why Street Fighter, Tekken, and even Smash can't seem to accomplish the same thing. Not a "save the best for last" deal. But instead a "every single one is the best" deal.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

But honestly, aside from Joker, they all feel like incredibly, incredibly safe choices, Joker, and Plant, notwithstanding. Terry comes kinda close, but as someone who's been in the FGC community for a long time, Terry was a character I kinda always expected at one point.

I guess I'm just kinda surprised we haven't gotten a character who is like "Wait, huh? THEY got in? Why....?"
Yeah, "we got Terry so any not-so-well-known third party can get in!" hasn't really bore fruit in FP2. Seems like 1 was the pass for smaller third-parties.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I just want to be loved for the final Smash character

but in real life I’ve lost all the remaining characters I would’ve wanted that others would definitely have hated to see (like I’d care for that tho), so as long as characters don’t die again, I guess the last character should be fine

but why the shell have I not seen Jimmy, Timmy, Donnie, Raph, Jenny, and Bessie in All Star Brawl yet?
Welp, my sister might or might not be coming home with a puppy today, depending on how things go.

I'm really nervous but also kind of excited.
that Marcy picture kinda makes it seem like you’re both excited and insane

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I definitely feel that. Though I would argue Sephiroth and Steve (despite my dislike for Minecraft) also qualify as exceptions to your observation. When a community is this vigil, nobody is truly unexpected. And I'd rather be satisfied than surprised.

Dutch Raikuna

So to change a bit of topic.

Me most days when it comes to gaming thinking I'm done apart from Tales of Arise.

"Have you thought this through? I mean chewed it down to the bone? You got out once. You dip so much as a pinky back into this pond, you may well find something reaches out, and drags you back into its depths." - Quote from John Wick.

Well then this reaches out and drags me down:

Lamperouge Lamperouge Metal Shop X Metal Shop X

Please be true.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I definitely feel that. Though I would argue Sephiroth and Steve (despite my dislike for Minecraft) also qualify as exceptions to your observation. When a community is this vigil, nobody is truly unexpected. And I'd rather be satisfied than surprised.
I mean, Steve was very safe if not outright expected due to Vergeben.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Me most days when it comes to gaming thinking I'm done apart from Tales of Arise.

"Have you thought this through? I mean chewed it down to the bone? You got out once. You dip so much as a pinky back into this pond, you may well find something reaches out, and drags you back into its depths."

Please be true.
Hold on
It's a sequel to XC2 but with characters outlived other XB2 & 1 characters??
thinking pokemon.png

Think i'm gonna wait some a official reveal before I share my thoughts on it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
For Cartoonentwork fans, here is a very interesting rumor about upcoming stuff. While it should be taken with a grain of salt, it’s not the first time we’ve seen stuff leak on a whole years plans for the network.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Hold on
It's a sequel to XC2 but with characters outlived other XB2 & 1 characters??
View attachment 325783
Think i'm gonna wait some a official reveal before I share my thoughts on it.
If it was both then that potentially indicates a merging of the worlds plot which would be a bit boring honestly.

Far future would mean outside of Pyra/Mythra, Melia and a few others would survive intact. That'd be eh. If it's a sequel to Xenoblade 2 then I'd hope for a half Blade/half human plot as well. The problem is mixing two different lore's together.

Still I'm scratching at nothing. If it was up to me a Xenoblade 3 would be a sequel to 1 with an exploring the new world plot sort of thing. A great expedition into the unknown that takes place a generation later.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
If it was both then that potentially indicates a merging of the worlds plot which would be a bit boring honestly.

Far future would mean outside of Pyra/Mythra, Melia and a few others would survive intact. That'd be eh. If it's a sequel to Xenoblade 2 then I'd hope for a half Blade/half human plot as well. The problem is mixing two different lore's together.

Still I'm scratching at nothing. If it was up to me a Xenoblade 3 would be a sequel to 1 with an exploring the new world plot sort of thing. A great expedition into the unknown that takes place a generation later.
idk how it would be boring to have a full on crossover between the two, but idk how I feel seeing alot of the characters I love on both side being dead.

If this leak is true tho, I can feel some Xenogear/Saga kind of shenanigans is gonna happen, with the Fog creature and the Zorah/Conduit and whatnot, and if i'm right, boy, it is going to get crazyyyy.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

"Have you thought this through? I mean chewed it down to the bone? You got out once. You dip so much as a pinky back into this pond, you may well find something reaches out, and drags you back into its depths." - Quote from John Wick.

Please be true.
Hm, I think I'd prefer if XC3 was an entirely standalone story with new characters TBH.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Kinda on with Chugga here.
Seem REALLY convenient that a leak like that happened after Melia VA talked about it. Tho XB3 being working on isn't exactly something new.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I mean, Steve was very safe if not outright expected due to Vergeben.
This feels like revisionist history since most people were expecting Master Chief if MS was getting a second rep after Banjo, and even that was an uncertainty at the time of his reveal.

Dutch Raikuna

Hm, I think I'd prefer if XC3 was an entirely standalone story with new characters TBH.
Wouldn't mind that as well or a sequel to 1 or 2.

Kinda on with Chugga here.
Seem REALLY convenient that a leak like that happened after Melia VA talked about it. Tho XB3 being working on isn't exactly something new.
Yeah someone could have been hungry for attention. In which case needs to be banned from the internet.

If it's false, screw that guy. Easier ways to attention seek.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Still sad that XBX fans might get nothin' once again.

Come on, Elma being in 2 was really cool, but there's gotta more to do with the lore & characters of X. Even if i'm admitelly not very familiar with it,

Shroob

Sup?
This feels like revisionist history since most people were expecting Master Chief if MS was getting a second rep after Banjo, and even that was an uncertainty at the time of his reveal.
Not really? Back before Banjo was a thing, people warred on and on about Steve to the point that we had to have a "Steve vs Banjo" thread just to let the two sides hash it out so it'd stop ****ting up the Newcomer thread.

That, and Verg's "Minecraft content" was one of their biggest pieces of evidence in his favor.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I can't sleep. I may not show it, but Smash Speculation really do be givin me brain damage.

I want the final character to be revealed already, but it's never going to stop me from making my new Smash game concepts. Making rosters has been one of my favorite pastimes since I found out what Smash even is, and the fact there's no Smash game to speculate on isn't going to stop me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom