• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah. And this honestly makes me question the whole "nintendo picked the characters" thing.
I think it’s something along the lines of Nintendo giving Sakurai a list, and he picks from said list.

There could be moments where the higher ups really pushed for a certain character to advertise a new game, there could be times where Sakurai really pushed for someone (maybe even someone who wasn’t listed) just because he liked them.

But hell if I know I’m just your average Franklin from down the block.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
don’t forget that The Rock does bathe

osby

Smash Obsessed
He either has control over what characters get in the game or he doesn't. Either Nintendo picks or he does.
From what he told us, it's clear that Sakurai gives him a list of fighters they want and he approves them before their implementation.

Notably, they don't always request specific characters. We know that ARMS, XC2, Dragon Quest and Tekken could have gone with different characters.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think it’s something along the lines of Nintendo giving Sakurai a list, and he picks from said list.

There could be moments where the higher ups really pushed for a certain character to advertise a new game, there could be times where Sakurai really pushed for someone (maybe even someone who wasn’t listed) just because he liked them.

But hell if I know I’m just your average Franklin from down the block.
If only one of those characters was Geno.

Regardless of the potential inclusion of Crash, not having Geno takes away from it truly being Ultimate. Well... and Isaac and Shovel Knight too. Those 3. Those 3 are the ones that really feel missing to me and none of them are gonna be DLC.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Nintendo picking the DLC characters made a lot of sense the more I thought about it. They clearly want them to sell, so they either pick recognizable third-party characters with wide reach, or first party characters from their recent games.
That's my take on it, at least. Sakurai obviously has to agree for the character to get in, but I think Nintendo's selection process differs from Sakurai's.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Regardless of the potential inclusion of Crash, not having Geno takes away from it truly being Ultimate. Well... and Isaac and Shovel Knight too. Those 3. Those 3 are the ones that really feel missing to me and none of them are gonna be DLC.
I dunno man the moment they dropped everyone is here it felt Ultimate to me. Everything else has been cherries upon cherries on the sundae to me.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Man next month is going busy for me. Forgot to mention this.

Did finally managed to get a hold of a driving school who has placed me on a list to get motorcycle training (CBT since I'm going for a certain category) that would start next month depending. Starting two part time courses of various things. So I'll finally get back on my feet there.

Tales of Arise and is finally coming out. Hopefully the next Direct and final Smash character is announced.

Which means that when the final Smash character is out, might finally expand that Discord server of mine to include more people if everyone agrees.
Now split time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So curious to ask the newbie and the veteran since you guys talking Smash but Jondolio Jondolio and SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 if it was up to you guys, how would you want the DLC and all of Smash Bros to finish?

Got me curious.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Omni really just featured me in his video today…
3E9B28BA-0756-4779-B454-37CFEF92579A.jpeg
9F1C14A3-B38E-497B-BE59-EA4B5F4CCF95.jpeg

…yay

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I dunno man the moment they dropped everyone is here it felt Ultimate to me. Everything else has been cherries upon cherries on the sundae to me.
That's when it started to feel Ultimate yeah. But for me, Ultimate came to mean "everyone from before AND everyone you wanted". Not me, specifically, but just the community in general. And from my perspective (joining during the Smash4 DLC cycle) that meant Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo, Isaac, Shovel Knight, and Geno. The characters Smashified did, basically. Those ones were just on everybody's lists consistently and to me they felt like the big community requests. And we got half of them and I'm not gonna act like that isn't amazing. But it still causes the game to just fall a tad bit flat to me. Especially since, IMO, them getting into a future Smash game isn't really that tantalizing an idea thanks to the fact that everybody returning is probably never gonna happen again.

But whatev. I guess that's just my opinion. It's just feels to me like a runner who has trained for years running a marathon and getting 95% of the way to that gold medal before stopping and playing with a puppy. It's fun to watch and it can be argued he did deserve to just have fun at that point. But as an audience member, you kind of wish they had finished the marathon BEFORE playing with the dog.

Jondolio

Smash Hero

I think the problem with Geno and Isaac is that they're ass-old characters that are mostly recognizable to hardcore fans, which means they're not very marketable. Shovel Knight slightly less so but he's an Assist Trophy.
So curious to ask the newbie and the veteran since you guys talking Smash but Jondolio Jondolio Jondolio Jondolio and SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 if it was up to you guys, how would you want the DLC and all of Smash Bros to finish?

Got me curious.
For starters, I'm not a newbie. I used to frequent this website a lot before Smash Ultimate speculation started and later deleted my account.
As for who I want, it really depends on the angle you look at it from. I bet my dignity on Waluigi but that's expandable, so I won't really lose much sleep if he didn't get in. I have several characters I want more, but my the honor of being my list-toppers goes to Phoenix Wright and Decidueye.
I wanted Decidueye since the base game, and while I pretty much gave up on him after Incineroar got in, part of me is still holding out a bit of hope against my better judgement due to Rowlet being a starter in Legends Arceus. Phoenix Wright would be amazing since Ace Attorney is probably my favorite video game franchise of all time.
That said, whoever it ends up being, I'll probably be satisfied. The game already has 88 characters, they could've stopped after Fighters Pass 1 and I'd still be satisfied. Hell, the base roster was already pretty sexy.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Man next month is going busy for me. Forgot to mention this.

Did finally managed to get a hold of a driving school who has placed me on a list to get motorcycle training (CBT since I'm going for a certain category) that would start next month depending. Starting two part time courses of various things. So I'll finally get back on my feet there.

Tales of Arise and is finally coming out. Hopefully the next Direct and final Smash character is announced.

Which means that when the final Smash character is out, might finally expand that Discord server of mine to include more people if everyone agrees.
Now split time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So curious to ask the newbie and the veteran since you guys talking Smash but Jondolio Jondolio and SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 if it was up to you guys, how would you want the DLC and all of Smash Bros to finish?

Got me curious.
who do I want the final smash character to be you mean? There is only one good answer to this question.

Noipoi

Howdy!
That's when it started to feel Ultimate yeah. But for me, Ultimate came to mean "everyone from before AND everyone you wanted". Not me, specifically, but just the community in general. And from my perspective (joining during the Smash4 DLC cycle) that meant Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo, Isaac, Shovel Knight, and Geno. The characters Smashified did, basically. Those ones were just on everybody's lists consistently and to me they felt like the big community requests. And we got half of them and I'm not gonna act like that isn't amazing. But it still causes the game to just fall a tad bit flat to me. Especially since, IMO, them getting into a future Smash game isn't really that tantalizing an idea thanks to the fact that everybody returning is probably never gonna happen again.

But whatev. I guess that's just my opinion. It's just feels to me like a runner who has trained for years running a marathon and getting 95% of the way to that gold medal before stopping and playing with a puppy. It's fun to watch and it can be argued he did deserve to just have fun at that point. But as an audience member, you kind of wish they had finished the marathon BEFORE playing with the dog.
8F39B772-EBB2-4DB7-B520-189F17BE1BB1.png

An interesting point that, while I don’t entirely agree, I can see the logic behind.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think the problem with Geno and Isaac is that they're ass-old characters that are mostly recognizable to hardcore fans, which means they're not very marketable. Shovel Knight slightly less so but he's an Assist Trophy.
You would get the same arguments for K. Rool and Banjo back in the day. And they both made it in. I do agree that it IS an obstacle. But to quote a great man "it doesn't matter if the character is new or old, or if they are recognizable to everyone". Why does is feel like everyone has forgotten that he said that?

Anyway. I'm at a point now (thanks to being properly medicated) where I'm fine with the final character being whatever (except maybe a Gen 8 Pokemon). And Ultimate's roster is already amazing. I can be fine with a 99. But man do I wish it had scored a 100 since it got so close.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You would get the same arguments for K. Rool and Banjo back in the day. And they both made it in. I do agree that it IS an obstacle. But to quote a great man "it doesn't matter if the character is new or old, or if they are recognizable to everyone". Why does is feel like everyone has forgotten that he said that?

Anyway. I'm at a point now (thanks to being properly medicated) where I'm fine with the final character being whatever (except maybe a Gen 8 Pokemon). And Ultimate's roster is already amazing. I can be fine with a 99. But man do I wish it had scored a 100 since it got so close.
I just want to prepare you beforehand.

If a gen 8 Pokémon is the last fighter.

Not only will I dunk on your for being wrong about Crash, I’ll dunk on you for being wrong about Pokémon too. A double dunk, if you will.

Just…be ready…

osby

Smash Obsessed

I think the issue is hardcore fan requests don't really have an end. Like, where do they end? Geno? Waluigi? Isaac? Bandana Dee? Crash?

We can have another pass with nothing but fan poll darlings and there would still be "obvious omissions".

Dutch Raikuna

I'm still betting the last character is going to be someone a bit more subdued. If it is a surprise pick I'm gonna bet from a company like Arc System Works or Gust or Falcom.

As long as it is a new universe I'm fine. I'll be a bit disappointed if it's a new character from an represented series (Zelda the only exception).

The fact that they did do that should be considering a monument not only for the game but for the industry.

I still personally feel like a few characters should have been in the base game roster like Tails, Dixie Kong, Chibi-Robo, Captain Toad but you can't win them all.

For now the best I can hope is for the game's DLC to just finish smoothly.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why does is feel like everyone has forgotten that he said that?
They're too spoiled by the hype of Steve, Sephiroth, and maybe Kazuya. Even people hoping for at least a smaller third-party are spoiled by FP1 giving us third-parties that aren't the biggest in the US.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think the issue is hardcore fan requests don't really have an end. Like, where do they end? Geno? Waluigi? Isaac? Bandana Dee? Crash?

We can have another pass with nothing but fan poll darlings and there would still be "obvious omissions".
That is an argument I definitely can understand. This fanbase is insatiable and people's opinions always change. All I can say is, for me, from my perspective, that's where it would stop (aside from maybe Crash Bandicoot). I won't speak for anyone else besides myself though.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I think that's why characters like K. Rool and Ridley made it into the base roster rather than Smash 4 DLC. For Banjo though, I think he'd be in the same boat as Isaac and Geno if it wasn't for the fact he headlined a classic that pretty much every Nintendo 64 kid remembers fondly. SMRPG and Golden Sun have their fanbases, but they're much more niche than Banjo. I know my argument probably has tons of holes but I don't have the energy to argue about it right now.
I feel the same way. There's plenty of characters I still want (including Geno and Isaac) but I think the rest of the roster is good enough that it won't make me lose too much sleep at night.

---

Anyway, I'm probably going to bed now, so we'll have to continue this after I get back from work tomorrow. Good night.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
For Banjo though, I think he'd be in the same boat as Isaac and Geno if it wasn't for the fact he headlined a classic that pretty much every Nintendo 64 kid remembers fondly. SMRPG and Golden Sun have their fanbases, but they're much more niche than Banjo.
Banjo-Kazooie...didn't sell that much more than SMRPG and Golden Sun. BK1's sales don't even exceed SMRPG and GS1 sales combined. Even the individual sales of Metroid games are barely better than the sales of GS games, and sometimes worse.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
One last thing
Banjo-Kazooie...didn't sell that much more than SMRPG and Golden Sun. BK1's sales don't even exceed SMRPG and GS1 sales combined.
Exactly why I said this
I know my argument probably has tons of holes but I don't have the energy to argue about it right now.
Also, I probably wouldn't be too thrilled about a Gen 8 Pokémon being added. I generally don't mind promotional first party characters, but I'd rather have them be from good games.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think that's why characters like K. Rool and Ridley made it into the base roster rather than Smash 4 DLC. For Banjo though, I think he'd be in the same boat as Isaac and Geno if it wasn't for the fact he headlined a classic that pretty much every Nintendo 64 kid remembers fondly. SMRPG and Golden Sun have their fanbases, but they're much more niche than Banjo. I know my argument probably has tons of holes but I don't have the energy to argue about it right now.

I feel the same way. There's plenty of characters I still want (including Geno and Isaac) but I think the rest of the roster is good enough that it won't make me lose too much sleep at night.

---

Anyway, I'm probably going to bed now, so we'll have to continue this after I get back from work tomorrow. Good night.
You definitely have a point there. If I could go back in time and change things about Ultimate's development, whatever I wanted, I would give them as much money as it would take to ensure Geno, Isaac, and Shovel Knight made it into the base roster. However much they needed to hire enough people to make it happen and pay the licensing fees. But at the end of the day, I got Banjo-Kazooie and Kazuya Mishima. I'm..... I don't wanna say satisfied.... content? like 99% content.
I'm just kinda glad this'll all be over soon.

I love Ult, I love Smash, and I love y'all in THIS thread.

Emphasis on THIS thread.
Sakurai: Thank you for enjoying Super Smash Bros: Ultimate's final character.
BUT GET READY FOR SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE: DEFINITIVE EDITION WHICH IS GONNA HAVE LIKE 6 MORE CHARACTERS IN IT!!! THE RIDE NEVER ENDS BABY!!!

lol, what if. It's not gonna happen at all in this universe of time and space. But it would still be fun. For me anyway.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

I think to add as well but as much as I love Smash I want to move on and not be tied to it.

And honestly even more but to the people who I now call friends here (I remember telling you this Wademan94 Wademan94 in the past) but I don't want to see some who I get along with as "Smashboards friends" and the fact that Smash Bros is still continuing doesn't help.

Be done here, still stick around but not a lot and then expand the relationships via Discord/cool place sort of thing.

I don't care who they add because I probably won't even pop the game in for more than an hour to play them.

And I don't mean any offense to the final character, just kinda burnt out on Smash.
Yourself I've told that as well about the post above. I'm burnt out on it and I want to move on but with friends still tied sort of thing. A "Smashboards pseudo-graduation" if that makes sense.

I'll probably play the new character for an hour, triple if it's a new one I like, rip off the new tracks off YouTube and that's probably it.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I think to add as well but as much as I love Smash I want to move on and not be tied to it.

And honestly even more but to the people who I now call friends here (I remember telling you this Wademan94 Wademan94 in the past) but I don't want to see some who I get along with as "Smashboards friends" and the fact that Smash Bros is still continuing doesn't help.

Be done here, still stick around but not a lot and then expand the relationships via Discord/cool place sort of thing.

Yourself I've told that as well about the post above. I'm burnt out on it and I want to move on but with friends still tied sort of thing. A "Smashboards pseudo-graduation" so to speak.

I'll probably play the new character for an hour, triple if it's a new one I like, rip off the new tracks off YouTube and that's probably it.
I mean, I'll probably still be here for a while after the last character drops. I'm not going to discard this place simply because it's Smash branded and the ride is over...for now. The time to move on for me will come eventually, no doubt, but I'm not thinking about it anytime soon. Forums are simply more comfy for me than something like Discord. Call me a creature of habit, I guess.

And besides, this thread doesn't need Smash discussion to stay afloat.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Weird that this is our first real details on the Mario movie.

Here are the possiblities on who this "Spike" is:
  • Spike enemy
  • Foreman Spike
  • Spike from the 1993 movie (lol no)
  • Original character.

Plus I've never heard of this actor.

Hopefully we get our first trailer by the end of this year.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
**** it’s hitting me

After three years, three whole years.

Smash Ultimate is ending bros.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m ready for this.

But it’s so weird
View attachment 325776
All good things must come to a end eventually.

Thankfully, the true lesson wasn't getting your favourite character into Smash, but the friends we made along the way.

Granted, me getting my most wanted does put a smile on my face.

Shroob

Sup?
**** it’s hitting me

After three years, three whole years.

Smash Ultimate is ending bros.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m ready for this.

But it’s so weird
View attachment 325776
Don't let Sakurai know, but I've kinda moved on from speculation for this game.

Smash speculation is at its absolute best when its crazy as ****, full-on "THE SKY IS FALLING" mode where there's a ga-jillion fake leaks and real leaks mixed in.

We have no real leaks, and all the fakes stink, terribly.

I want to see who CP11 is obviously, and I'll play the hell out of them, but, I think we've hit a point where it's not really fun to speculate anymore, and we're just waiting for the end.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Don't let Sakurai know, but I've kinda moved on from speculation for this game.

Smash speculation is at its absolute best when its crazy as ****, full-on "THE SKY IS FALLING" mode where there's a ga-jillion fake leaks and real leaks mixed in.

We have no real leaks, and all the fakes stink, terribly.

I want to see who CP11 is obviously, and I'll play the hell out of them, but, I think we've hit a point where it's not really fun to speculate anymore, and we're just waiting for the end.
Exactly my thoughts.

I can’t do another year of current smash speculation, it’s boring as hell.

But other than that, I just want to enjoy the game in it’s completed state. Without wondering who’s gonna be sitting next to the currently released character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom