• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
:wario:: Our father, who art in heaven, hallow'd be thy name. Our kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our tresspasses. As we forgive those who tresspass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
He says as he digs into where they keep all the tithes.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
He says as he digs into where they keep all the tithes.
I prefer the idea where he's 100%, without a shadow of a doubt, deeply religions. He might be a dirty scoundrel, but he respects the Lord and won't disrespect Him in His house. He goes to church every week, and confession every other month.

Luig

Confused
Haven't talked here in a few weeks, but what happened today genuinely pissed me off. The big house would win the lawsuit, but they don't have money or the time to pursue something like that. I've argued with people about this with emulation before, and I've found both the US and Japanese law that states that dumping software for your personal use is legal.

17 U.S. Code § 117. Limitations on exclusive rights: Computer programs (a) Making of Additional Copy or Adaptation by Owner of Copy.—Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided: (1) that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or (2) that such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful.

here's a real world example:
"Under United States law, obtaining a dumped copy of the original machine's BIOS is legal under the ruling Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc., 964 F.2d 965 (9th Cir. 1992) as fair use as long as the user obtained a legally purchased copy of the machine. However, several emulators for platforms such as Game Boy Advance are capable of running without a BIOS file, using high-level emulation to simulate BIOS subroutines at a slight cost in emulation accuracy."

Anyways, for Japan;
Q1. In which libraries is the exceptional reproduction without authorization permissible? A1. The libraries which can make copies of library materials for the users, making use of the relevant limitation clauses in the Copyright Law, are limited to such libraries as public libraries, university/college libraries and some others open to the public designated by the Government. It is permitted to such libraries to reproduce their library materials within the framework of their non-profit-making services. The conditions for such reproduction are: it is done (1) at the request of a user of the library; (2) for the purpose of the user's own investigation or research; (3) for a part of a work already made public; (4) for a single copy for each user; etc.
(article 1, section ix)

Shroob is right. I really dislike a lot of these fans i see, they genuinely come across as bootlickers. They're a corporation. This stuff just really pisses me off, and I hate how adamant and active nintendo is about trying to shut down stuff like this.

"Copying of an Nintendo game is illegal and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international intellectual property laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are not authorized and are not necessary to protect your software. Violators will be prosecuted."

This is a genuine quote from Nintendo's website.
Like all corporations, they wish they were the law, and they want to pretend they are, but they're not.

Hope that wall of text was informative.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, I'm starting to think Paper Jam was worse than Sticker Star in terms of execution. It had better gameplay for sure, but everything else was just bad beyond belief. Bad story, tedious side quests, generic as **** locations, etc. Papercraft battles were a total downgrade from the giant battles, and honestly, it was just all around forgettable that's there's really nothing to talk about.

Imagine having a crossover between two if the biggest Mario RPGs and not doing anything with it.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Haven't talked here in a few weeks, but what happened today genuinely pissed me off. The big house would win the lawsuit, but they don't have money or the time to pursue something like that. I've argued with people about this with emulation before, and I've found both the US and Japanese law that states that dumping software for your personal use is legal.

17 U.S. Code § 117. Limitations on exclusive rights: Computer programs (a) Making of Additional Copy or Adaptation by Owner of Copy.—Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided: (1) that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or (2) that such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful.

here's a real world example:
"Under United States law, obtaining a dumped copy of the original machine's BIOS is legal under the ruling Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc., 964 F.2d 965 (9th Cir. 1992) as fair use as long as the user obtained a legally purchased copy of the machine. However, several emulators for platforms such as Game Boy Advance are capable of running without a BIOS file, using high-level emulation to simulate BIOS subroutines at a slight cost in emulation accuracy."

Anyways, for Japan;
Q1. In which libraries is the exceptional reproduction without authorization permissible? A1. The libraries which can make copies of library materials for the users, making use of the relevant limitation clauses in the Copyright Law, are limited to such libraries as public libraries, university/college libraries and some others open to the public designated by the Government. It is permitted to such libraries to reproduce their library materials within the framework of their non-profit-making services. The conditions for such reproduction are: it is done (1) at the request of a user of the library; (2) for the purpose of the user's own investigation or research; (3) for a part of a work already made public; (4) for a single copy for each user; etc.
(article 1, section ix)

Shroob is right. I really dislike a lot of these fans i see, they genuinely come across as bootlickers. They're a corporation. This stuff just really pisses me off, and I hate how adamant and active nintendo is about trying to shut down stuff like this.

"Copying of an Nintendo game is illegal and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international intellectual property laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are not authorized and are not necessary to protect your software. Violators will be prosecuted."

This is a genuine quote from Nintendo's website.
Like all corporations, they wish they were the law, and they want to pretend they are, but they're not.

Hope that wall of text was informative.
I understand making backup copies for yourself is legal (even though there's probably a whole 5 people that use emulation for that and don't just source ROMs off the net) but wasn't this all because they want to use Slippi? Also, since you bring up Japanese law, it is illegal in Japan to modify game software and hardware. Doubt that would give Nintendo a standing in the US but it is a thing.

Luig

Confused
I understand making backup copies for yourself is legal (even though there's probably a whole 5 people that use emulation for that and don't just source ROMs off the net) but wasn't this all because they want to use Slippi? Also, since you bring up Japanese law, it is illegal in Japan to modify game software and hardware. Doubt that would give Nintendo a standing in the US but it is a thing.
... Slippi doesn't require you to modify the game, it's a program that injects code in real time to run and do its thing. This is a real grey area in reference to the law, but it's more of a dolphin modification than it is a game modification, and it'd be interesting to see them make a case against it, but yeah, the big house is in the US, so it's not reall a case here. And also, yeah, i imagine most people get isos of the net, but the problem is that is impossible to prove without genuinely searching computers. They can accuse all they want, but proving they pirated the game is.... really hard.

here's their statement.

They actually do accuse them of being "illegally copied."

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Gonna add on to this: this extends to more just companies. Anybody you don't know on an interpersonal level isn't your friends. Youtubers, Streamers, Musicians, Actors, etc, they're not your friends. They don't know you, more than likely will never know you, so don't pretend that ya'll are buddy buddies. This is why Stan Culture needs to die.

Also, diet coke? really?
Ok but I’m still gonna stan Steve.
agreed. I’m sure a lot of people have been a bit of a simp for famous or popular people they’re a stranger to at some point (I know I was for a couple or so celebrities when I was still a teen, but didn’t say anything creepy thankfully even if a bit lovey-dovey sometimes but mostly average/normal nice and funny comments, and maybe I do still sometimes have feelings of attraction/a crush even though I realize it’s a dumb feeling and I’d just like to be a friend or online friendly acquaintance anyway Embarrass), but they don’t know who you are and while you may wanna be their friend since they seem cool etc., people gotta realize it’s extremely unlikely.

And then you have all those weirdos claiming stuff about them as fact even if it’s something that should be seen as normal or a personal thing anyway, like shippers claiming two people are a couple even if their actions show just good friends at best (and it’s none of their business anyway, they’re human dang it), and those creepy dudes asking for even marriage or weird stuff, and jerks treating content creators as entertainment slaves or even objects...they’re all frickin weird. Also those people who defend the popular person they like even when they know they did something very wrong, like those competitive Smash players some months back...

And people need to stop defending companies/consoles and such at all costs, too. They’re not perfect, they’re not free of criticism, they’re trying to get our money for goodness sake; we can disagree on things but good gosh people are allowed to criticize something they don’t like about a company or what they’re doing. And console wars are dumb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom