• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Honestly, for me, I only watch anime for the worldbuilding and characters. I don't really like isekai or slice of life precisely because I feel those anime lack both of those things at a fundamental level. If it doesn't have a compelling story either than I'll usually pass on it.

When it comes to anime I honestly feel like Snakefighter at times lol

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, for me, I only watch anime for the worldbuilding and characters. I don't really like isekai or slice of life precisely because I feel those anime lack both of those things at a fundamental level. If it doesn't have a compelling story either than I'll usually pass on it.

Nowadays, I find myself keep coming back to slice of life because there's no pesky stuff like plot getting in the way of character interaction lol.

World-building done right is amazing but it can also be a big commitment when I just want to kick back and enjoy myself.

D

Deleted member

Accidentally was ten minutes late to class.
Learned that class was cancelled for today.
This is a good start to Friday.
Funny, that happened to me around few weeks ago.

Slife of life really isn't my thing either.

I really like to see drama and action.

Not saying slife of life is always bad, but I don't think it is really my thing.

D

Deleted member

look at them waddle-waddle-waddle
https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/jx5uc4
Nowadays, I find myself keep coming back to slice of life because there's no pesky stuff like plot getting in the way of character interaction lol.

World-building done right is amazing but it can also be a big commitment when I just want to kick back and enjoy myself.
That's a fair point, but honestly if I want to watch something Slice of Life ish I can just turn my tv to the local cartoon channel here. Anime is fun to watch for me because the best of the bunch offers stuff I don't really see often over here in the states(where cartoon comedy and live action comedy are apparently the only two kinds of media for teens and kids, least from my experience)

D

Deleted member

You do bring up a good point about slice of life generally having more room for character interactions.

But it is possible to have an amazing plot and amazing character interaction at once.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Eh, outside of a select few good recommendations from my friends, plus Soul Eater and Pokemon, i barely watch and seldom want to watch anime. It just isn't my preferred form of animation.

I really like RWBY, though. But that one's a western animation, that, muxh like Avatar and Teen Titans, is just anime-inspired, so I don't count it as being any of the above.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

Pretty much why as well. Just kick back and relax and let the characters laugh.

You do bring up a good point about slice of life generally having more room for character interactions.

But it is possible to have an amazing plot and amazing character interaction at once.
This is gonna be long so bear with me and I'll tag @Bakugan2556 , Lamperouge Lamperouge , Wademan94 Wademan94 (since you like reading this stuff from me) and @JDCabrera if you want to read this about slice of life.
Well honestly with how stressful my life is with what's going with me, I kinda find slice of life to be a nice respite from it all. Laid Back Camp a perfect example of it.

And thinking about it, three of my five anime of all time is at least some sort of slice of life.

Kino's Journey - Slice of Life/Philosophy/Adventure
Re:Zero - Thriller/Isekai
A Place Further Than The Universe - Coming of Age/Slice of Life
Laid Back Camp - Slice of Life
Violet Evergarden - Drama

I think also part of why I watch slice of life as well is because it shows things that I kinda wish I was able to enjoy while I was younger or had things been different and in a way maybe I watch it out of awe to the characters. Non Non Biyori, K-On, Laid Back Camp as mentioned, even slight fantasy ones like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Helpful Fox Senko-san, Haruhi Suzumiya etc all have those kinda strange everyday ness that I wish I experienced and made my days more even eventful instead of being in my room all day and being depressed because of stuff.

We sometimes entertain ourselves for escapism or inspiration and I'm not saying I hate the way I grew up but you always wish better for it. You always hope life gets a lot better with the hand you deal with like I do but you know for some it can take years for that.

And for Laid Back Camp today, rewatching clips of it? It reminds me why I want to pull through with this physical, mental and psychological chronic stress I'm going through. It reminds of why I want to stop subconsciously thinking I'm going to die of some illness everyday or whatnot because of stuff like constant muscles spasms or pains in my chest. It's so I can visit these places that inspire me and to try and expand my borders as a human being and well, finally grow up as an adult. Watching clips of it and my favourite slice of life anime has pushed forward my determination to do so. Those pains and feelings are gonna be in me for a good while longer but I need to push if I want to not only get back to a sense of normality, but also to achieve said dreams.

It sounds dramatic but that is the effect of when something like a certain bit of fiction can inspire you so far as a person. And this is before we even get into talking about Kino's Journey as well which was has a much bigger effect on me.

Sorry for this being long but I kinda had that thought in me for a while and doing this out in the open.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh, outside of a select few recommendations from my friends, plus Soul Eater and Pokemon, i barely watch or want to watch anime. It just isn't my preferred form of animation.

I really like RWBY, though. But that one's a western animation, that like Avatar and Term Titans, is just anime-inspired, so I don't count it as being any of the above.
Personally I love anime as an artstyle but I can never seem to find anything that fits my taste. So I mostly just stick with card game anime.

D

Deleted member

I remember watching anime on Youtube back when there was a 10 minute limit on videos. If you were unlucky, one part would just be missing, fun times, yet oddly nostalgic as well.
I remember the times where I would just watch One Piece clips non-stop as a kid. Those were the days....

D

Deleted member

This is gonna be long so bear with me and I'll tag @Bakugan2556 , Lamperouge Lamperouge , Wademan94 Wademan94 (since you like reading this stuff from me) and @JDCabrera if you want to read this about slice of life.
Well honestly with how stressful my life is with what's going with me, I kinda find slice of life to be a nice respite from it all. Laid Back Camp a perfect example of it.
For me personally I just want more substance in what I watch. I don't want to just watch characters laughing and having a good time, I want a world where I can see the characters motivations, drama, how they react to crisis(s), fights, all that. In other words, I want depth. If there is none, I really don't see the point in it. I especially like it when anime have plots, characters, and quotes, that are philosophical in nature and get me to rethink my perspective(Stride Gate-hen is a near perfect example of what I mean)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
10 more days of November until we finally enter the month of Christmas. Despite the rough times, the world is going through, let's not allow this to damper our spirits and keep them up.

As usual, I'm gonna change my avatar for that month to Krampzilla once again as well as watch Krampus, and Elf as well as any other Christman movies I find. And of course, obsessing over Krampus. Not gonna lie, given the state of the world at this point, I feel we could use him to deal with such people like Trump and the morons in China that tried covering-up COVID which is why were in this damn mess in the first place.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Dutch Raikuna Dutch Raikuna I feel that slice of life animes can be funny and neat if done right, ngl.

Also, I'm currently at a restaurant near the coast:

Dude I just love the fact that you live on this (small compared to others) island out in the Atlantic and just chilling some days like this.

Gotta ask but how much of a walk does it take for you to walk to the beach? For me it's about 25 minutes.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Dutch Raikuna Dutch Raikuna I feel that slice of life animes can be funny and neat if done right, ngl.

Also, I'm currently at a restaurant near the coast:

Restaurants near the coast are super pog. Atmosphere like no other.

Hope you enjoy and stuff. :colorful:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So what are everyone's VGA predictions for this year?

All I can say is I'm certain we'll get footage/gameplay of God of War: Ragnarok which I look forward to seeing.
I'm also not expecting a Smash reveal, a tease could happen but I don't think we're getting anything until January.

D

Deleted member

Dude I just love the fact that you live on this (small compared to others) island out in the Atlantic and just chilling some days like this.

Gotta ask but how much of a walk does it take for you to walk to the beach? For me it's about 25 minutes.
Around 15 or 25 minutes too.

Dutch Raikuna

Around 15 or 25 minutes too.
Again, gotta say I'm a bit jealous of people live on islands that size you're from or islands way out in the ocean. Feels like you got the whole world right there. However I'm also a bit jealous of those who live on the mainland of continents.

My mind was blown when I went to US and did the roadtrip because of how big it is to be on a mainland of a place like it.

Same with Greece and I was like "I'm on the same landmass as places Beijing, Paris, Seoul, Munich and all! Continental Freedom!" Then you remember you have no driver licence, all because you don't want to be in a metal box all the time.

D

Deleted member

Again, gotta say I'm a bit jealous of people live on islands that size you're from or islands way out in the ocean. Feels like you got the whole world right there. However I'm also a bit jealous of those who live on the mainland of continents.

My mind was blown when I went to US and did the roadtrip because of how big it is to be on a mainland of a place like it.

Same with Greece and I was like "I'm on the same landmass as places Beijing, Paris, Seoul, Munich and all! Continental Freedom!" Then you remember you have no driver licence, all because you don't want to be in a metal box all the time.
I wish I could one day explore South America, Australia and part of Italy.

Dutch Raikuna

I wish I could one day explore South America, Australia and part of Italy.
For me it will always be places like Japan, South Korea, Central Europe and the numerous small islands scattered across the world. Yes maybe where you are from as well.

Feels like I've explored where I wanted to in the UK and Ireland. Me and my dad are talking about going up the coast again around Christmas time as his love for fishing and going to these remote spots was where I got my taste for that.

I wanna see new terrain in real life. Only so much times you can enjoy the area around you mostly.

D

Deleted member

I want to live in Mars, where I am pretty alone. I do not know why. It intrigues me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom