• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Dutch Raikuna Dutch Raikuna so. Now that I‘be finished all of FFXV, what have you been meaning to say about it?
That it is one of the most divisive games I've ever damn played in my life and without the doubt the most patchy. It's gonna be a read Snake so wouldn't mind a good response.

It has such a great base of a road tripping modern fantasy game. The fact that you have cars, gas stations and phones but also Behemoths, Chocobos and magic. I know the magitek soldiers but it's like more grounded than FFVII Remake. I love the open world to pieces but then it's gets terrible post Altissia except for the first swamp dungeon.
I really wished they ran with the setting 100 times more cause I want to see more of that in games.

Throwing two examples:
Picture__86.jpeg

Picture__47.jpeg

That, a few great bosses fights, the chemistry of it's main quartet, the voice acting of some characters and the cooking/camping system were the best aspects of the game.

Everything else does not hold up well. Combat got easily surpassed by other games like Nier Automata, FFVII Remake and such. Music is great but isn't as grand as other games like XIII, X and VII.

Most of all the plot is poor and lacks urgency. Oh no your country is invaded! Let's go meet so chocobos and go on a roadtrip. And the lore really ****ing folds in on itself leaving not much room to move around. I would have taken the Starscourge out for that reason alone.

If was up to me the plot would have been in four parts:

1. Noctis goes on a roadtrip/pilgrimage to collect a few of the Royal Arms, gives time to build the world and characters up.

2. After he collects about five or so, Insomnia is invaded and he fights through the city. Regis gets killed and all that prompting him to retreat and start building up a resistance to fight Nifilheim instead of the **** way and not try to get gods to awaken and stuff.

3. More people like Cor and Iris join as well as Ravus and Aranea who defects to his side and they launch an attack again but Ardyn and a few others attack and the supernatural **** happens. Luna............I don't know as I never really liked her. Since this used to be Versus XIII I wish we had Stella in and those two would have been sisters.

4. I don't know. Just that the plot wasn't great. It was too hyped and they should have not put parts of it into other media.

And again, the best parts of the game were in the DLC. Ignis was great with the whole ruined Altissia setting, Prompto with why he is whiny and annoying, Ardyn being an ok prologue to the game and Gladio being a fun boss fight against Gilgamesh.

The game has not aged well and some parts were really really ****. I've spent 200 hours into the game cause I love the setting and some of the quests but man it was a disappointment in hindsight.

There you go Snake and that's the short version cause I'm tired. Have a read and let me know what you think.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
All PM64 and TTYD fans need to play Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling.

Heck, play it even if you aren't.
Is there anything Paper Mario could take away from that game if they ever returned to form?

**** in Boots is banned here, but his cousin, Piss in Boots, is allowed
I’m just gonna say :ultincineroar: in Boots.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Why do so many other players in Dynamax Adventures always ignore type match ups when choosing their pokemon?

"Oh this den's legendary is a Dragon type? Guess I'll dump my full health Wigglytuff for a hecking Wailmer".

I expect this from CPUs, but when playing with randoms it makes me want to pull my hair out. I'm never getting a shiny Giratina.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Man I really need to get out of the habit of checking the same five websites over and over again every five minutes, don't know if anyone else does that when they get bored easily.

Like I need new stuff to discover my horizons on or use my laptop for some other than Smashboards, anime and writing but can't because it's so old. Or I don't know need more of a social life.

Y'all are havin a time tonight, huh.
Just another day at the office my friend.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Man I really need to get out of the habit of checking the same five websites over and over again every five minutes, don't know if anyone else does that when they get bored easily.

Like I need new stuff to discover my horizons on or use my laptop for some other than Smashboards, anime and writing but can't because it's so old. Or I don't know need more of a social life.
I feel this SO hard.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That it is one of the most divisive games I've ever damn played in my life and without the doubt the most patchy. It's gonna be a read Snake so wouldn't mind a good response.

It has such a great base of a road tripping modern fantasy game. The fact that you have cars, gas stations and phones but also Behemoths, Chocobos and magic. I know the magitek soldiers but it's like more grounded than FFVII Remake. I love the open world to pieces but then it's gets terrible post Altissia except for the first swamp dungeon.
I really wished they ran with the setting 100 times more cause I want to see more of that in games.

Throwing two examples:
View attachment 310139
View attachment 310140

That, a few great bosses fights, the chemistry of it's main quartet, the voice acting of some characters and the cooking/camping system were the best aspects of the game.

Everything else does not hold up well. Combat got easily surpassed by other games like Nier Automata, FFVII Remake and such. Music is great but isn't as grand as other games like XIII, X and VII.

Most of all the plot is poor and lacks urgency. Oh no your country is invaded! Let's go meet so chocobos and go on a roadtrip. And the lore really ****ing folds in on itself leaving not much room to move around. I would have taken the Starscourge out for that reason alone.

If was up to me the plot would have been in four parts:

1. Noctis goes on a roadtrip/pilgrimage to collect a few of the Royal Arms, gives time to build the world and characters up.

2. After he collects about five or so, Insomnia is invaded and he fights through the city. Regis gets killed and all that prompting him to retreat and start building up a resistance to fight Nifilheim instead of the **** way and not try to get gods to awaken and stuff.

3. More people like Cor and Iris join as well as Ravus and Aranea who defects to his side and they launch an attack again but Ardyn and a few others attack and the supernatural **** happens. Luna............I don't know as I never really liked her. Since this used to be Versus XIII I wish we had Stella in and those two would have been sisters.

4. I don't know. Just that the plot wasn't great. It was too hyped and they should have not put parts of it into other media.

And again, the best parts of the game were in the DLC. Ignis was great with the whole ruined Altissia setting, Prompto with why he is whiny and annoying, Ardyn being an ok prologue to the game and Gladio being a fun boss fight against Gilgamesh.

The game has not aged well and some parts were really really ****. I've spent 200 hours into the game cause I love the setting and some of the quests but man it was a disappointment in hindsight.

There you go Snake and that's the short version cause I'm tired. Have a read and let me know what you think.
IDK. I didn't get much quality from the interactions of the main quartet. I thought they were all bland one note tropes who just talk about how close they are rather then proving it. The only standout proving their loyalty are Ignis and Gladio in their respective DLC packs, but even then, the reason why they care so much about Cloud's ****ty hot topic little brother beyond "he king, we crownsguards" is never explored. And Ardyn's motivation.... was I missing something because I straight up only found out why he was even doing the things he was doing in the DLC. I straight up did not know he could demonify people until their either. When Ravus showed up as a Deamon I thought they had used the Magitek Soldier process on him or something.

FF7R did side quests very well because there were way fewer of them and they only occurred at very specific points in the story where you naturally have a bit of downtime, or in the case of the final sidequest section, are trying to help out all of the victims of the plate collapse. If XV wanted to have sidequests, it should have been that way. And like... I know functionally holding down the attack button instead of mashing it for combos is basically identical but it was just never as satisfying as cleaving through enemies with the buster sword. Because of that I never really even got much from the boss fights either. Heck, I would die more often doing some of the dungeons that I wasn't quite high enough level for then to the encounters with the Six. Speaking of, summoning was complete botched as a mechanic. 7R did it so much better. Same with magic. I just hated the elemency system. I would create high level spells but then just put them on Gladio or Prompto because I hated how they interrupted the flow of combat. And I was not expecting there to essentially be two Super Sonic boss fights and it made me kind of wish that that was closer to how the Armiger system functioned. And IDK. I already am not a fan of open worlds so I liked when it got more linear towards the end. I liked how the game never really forced me to drive so I could treat those segments like long loading screens and do homework or draw, but I would have rather had the tight dungeon esque design every single area in 7R had rather then just having an open world for the sake of it. I tried doing all of the sidequests to get to max level before I moved on in the story but I just got so sick of hunting for frogs and killing random monsters and having to go back to the hotel to sleep every 5 minutes that it drained me. It is so obviously proto-FF7R and I just wanna go play more of that game now to wash the taste out of my mouth.

And the female characters! Iris should have been a main party member. No ifs ands or buts at the very least. It still kills me that we can turn the Regalia into a friggin Monster Truck and a PLANE but we can't give it more seats so we can recruit Aranea, Iris, and Cor on a more permanant basis.

And it is such a major missed opportunity that we can get Lightning's Sword and the Masamune (not sure if it was specifically Sephiroth's Masamune cause common japanese sword name) as DLC and there were crossover costumes you got from the FFXIV crossover and you could also wear the robes from Assassin's ****ing Creed but not weild or wear any of the other costumes and weapons from the vast lineup of Final Fantasy protagonists. Also, 7 Remake has the better weapon ability and upgrade system. Just... man. Go play 7R if you're reading this and are not Dutch Raikuna Dutch Raikuna because it is everything this game should have been.

I hope that XV's... shortcomings don't sour them on the sci-fantasy idea for the foreseeable future. Like... if 14 and 16 are the directions they're gonna go with their concepts... I'll still love them because I love the gameplay style they fleshed out but man I do not like the whole sword and sorcery thing without that technological edge.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm just watching a video about lost japanese media

There was apparently a japanese dub of Chalkzone at one point.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Is there anything Paper Mario could take away from that game if they ever returned to form?
Nearly everything is just like the originals but there's enough for it to stand out on its own and some little other things. One feature, turn relay, allows you to give up a teammate's turn to another for more strategy options at the cost of less damage. The characters, writing, and lore are defiantly a home-run.

Also, a stupidly insane amount of side missions and optional bosses are waiting for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom