• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh. Older FF games were turn-based. Beginning with IV, they play in real-time. Beginning with FFXV, they're action RPGs.
Calling the FF games which utilise the ATB, real time is pushing it. All it does determine when a character's turn takes place and really the only other real time aspect beyond waiting for a gauge to fill is that you can choose what to do during someone else's turn.

Also FFX ditched the ATB.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Calling the FF games which utilize the ATB, real time is pushing it. All it does determine when a character's turn takes place and really the only other real time aspect beyond waiting for a gauge to fill is that you can choose what to do during someone else's turn.

Also FFX ditched the ATB.
So, FFI-FFIII and FFX-FFXIV were turn-based or did FFX add a new formula to the series?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Did anyone actually see this last night?

Or were people just not interested?
The idea itself seems interesting.

The shows you're picked though... Yeah, no. I'd rather it be more classic Disney movies. A few shows I'd be down for, but not an "all-show" experience.

And as a diehard Simpsons and Kingdom Hearts fan... Please, for the love of God, keep them seperate

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The idea itself seems interesting.

The shows you're picked though... Yeah, no. I'd rather it be more classic Disney movies. A few shows I'd be down for, but not an "all-show" experience.

And as a diehard Simpsons and Kingdom Hearts fan... Please, for the love of God, keep them seperate
Considering the idea for the game in it's entierly came from wanting to make a Kingdom Hearts game about the Disney TV shows......

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
ATB is still turn-based, but you have more options and the enemy can move(depending if you set it that way). So it's partial real time. In a similar way to every Paper Mario game except Super Paper Mario. There's action elements, but they're still turn-based. Incidentally, Quest 64 is the same way with special action elements.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
The outright worst Final Fantasy game is probably All The Bravest. It's essentially an asset flip of FFV, with sprites from FFI-VI thrown in. I'll take any of the aforementioned games over it any day of the week, month, or year.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So, FFI-FFIII and FFX-FFXIV were turn-based or did FFX add a new formula to the series?
FFIV-IX utilised the ATB system but starting from X, each game introduced its own battle system. X uses the conditional turn-based system, which is kind of like the ATB with the time element gone. There are no rounds of turns like FFI-III but the order of turns is based on things like the speed stat, status ailments and cooldown. Unlike the ATB, however, there's no time progression while choosing an action. Rather than an emphasis on reaction, FFX favours careful planning and strategy.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
FFIV-IX utilized the ATB system but starting from X, each game introduced its own battle system. X uses the conditional turn-based system, which is kind of like the ATB with the time element gone. There are no rounds of turns like FFI-III but the order of turns is based on things like the speed stat, status ailments and cooldown. Unlike the ATB, however, there's no time progression while choosing an action. Rather than an emphasis on reaction, FFX favours careful planning and strategy.
Huh, I guess FFXII has additional strategies with the job system and all that. I believe it's a combination of X and V. What was its battle system, other than the job system?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Huh, I guess FFXII has additional strategies with the job system and all that. I believe it's a combination of X and V. What was its battle system, other than the job system?
XII has the Active Dimension Battle system, which in less fancier words is off-line MMO. It's like Xenoblade in that you aggro enemies, auto attack, use commands when they become available and make use of area of effect.

FFXII also has the Gambit system, which is essentially a way of pre-programming the AI party members. If you know what you're doing you can basically have them on auto-pilot without issuing commands for them at all.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
XII has the Active Dimension Battle system, which in less fancier words is off-line MMO. It's like Xenoblade in that you aggro enemies, auto attack, use commands when they become available and make use of area of effect.

FFXII also has the Gambit system, which is essentially a way of pre-programming the AI party members. If you know what you're doing you can basically have them on auto-pilot without issuing commands for them at all.
Doesn't really sound all that interesting IMO. Is it really though? I hear this game's the longest of all the Final Fantasy games at 60+ hours.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Doesn't really sound all that interesting IMO. Is it really though? I hear this game's the longest of all the Final Fantasy games at 60+ hours.
I found it fun to play but it can be a little tricky to get a set up that suits the environment (ie deal with the enemies appropriately).

FFXII's underlying character growth system has been changed several times. It's comparable to FFX, in that you gain points to spend on abilities and move through a progression map. Originally, each character had identical license boards, so developing characters was based on what you spent license points on. This was changed for the Zodiac version, which introduced a job system, each having its own license board with different stat growth and abilities. You had to commit to how you would develop a character as you couldn't change jobs in the first version of XII's job system. The first HD versions allowed characters to choose two jobs, meaning characters could now have two license boards. There was still an element of committal and planning, because certain job combinations are more optimal than others. By the time the Switch version released, it was changed again so you could now change jobs (and therefore license boards) and gain back your license points.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
The only things I really saw on twitter was people freaking out, but also a couple posts saying that the post is misleading.

I honestly don't know what the truth is. I just hope what is the truth comes out and soon before any innocent people suffer for it.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Ayy I finished Crash 4

Loved it, honestly it was great. And I think it has my favorite art style of any game.

If you’re into platformers, give it a try. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Now am I going for 106% completion?

NO.
Best part was in Dingodile said "********".

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
I found it fun to play but it can be a little tricky to get a set up that suits the environment (ie deal with the enemies appropriately).

FFXII's underlying character growth system has been changed several times. It's comparable to FFX, in that you gain points to spend on abilities and move through a progression map. Originally, each character had identical license boards, so developing characters was based on what you spent license points on. This was changed for the Zodiac version, which introduced a job system, each having its own license board with different stat growth and abilities. You had to commit to how you would develop a character as you couldn't change jobs in the first version of XII's job system. The first HD versions allowed characters to choose two jobs, meaning characters you could now have two license boards. There was still an element of committal and planning, because certain job combinations are more optimal than others. By the time the Switch version released, it was changed again so you could now change jobs (and therefore license boards) and gain back your license points.
So, it's similar in a way to FFV's job system. But, as job levels in FFV go up, you can use the skills of one class in another class, and eventually when you master a job (by reaching the max job level, for example it's level 7 for Black Mages) the job's abilities go to a special job called the Freelancer. Again, it's complex and just like FFXII, it's tricky to get the right set up.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just finished reading issue #29 of the IDW Sonic the Hedgehog comics. :ultsonic: I'm just REALLY loving this series!
The Metal Virus arc has come to close but what happened to Sonic?
Now to wait for InkyPen to crank out more issues.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Considering the idea for the game in it's entierly came from wanting to make a Kingdom Hearts game about the Disney TV shows......
You asked for feedback, I gave you feedback.

I'm not against shows being represented in Kingdom Hearts, but at some point you need to show some restraint. The films that usually get chosen for KH games are either cream of the crop Disney classics, or ones that thematically fit with the story the series is telling. And yeah, it can get weird. But still, you gotta know where to draw the line.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You asked for feedback, I gave you feedback.

I'm not against shows being represented in Kingdom Hearts, but at some point you need to show some restraint. The films that usually get chosen for KH games are either cream of the crop Disney classics, or ones that thematically fit with the story the series is telling. And yeah, it can get weird. But still, you gotta know where to draw the line.
Fair assertion. But when someone asks you to critique a cherry pie, and they say "I don't like cherry, make a blueberry one instead", like... they're entitled to that opinion but it's not very useful feedback.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Lol, I'm playing FFII right now and a Mage I defeated dropped a Scourge tome. FFII is the only FF game where enemies can drop spells. In every other game, you either learn them, or buy them.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So, it's similar in a way to FFV's job system. But, as job levels in FFV go up, you can use the skills of one class in another class, and eventually when you master a job (by reaching the max job level, for example it's level 7 for Black Mages) the job's abilities go to a special job called the Freelancer. Again, it's complex and just like FFXII, it's tricky to get the right set up.
FFV encourages job switching to mix and match abilities and try out new jobs that you unlock. FFXII is more about spreading out abilities to make a balanced team with job switching only being added as an undo option.

Also FFV jobs develop in a linear fashion and you can feasibly learn the same abilities throughout your entire team. FFXII's character growth on the other hand, has the job classes set hard boundaries for what your characters can do. Once you basically decide what a character will and will not be able to do, it's then up to you to decide what to spend your license points on and when.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
FFV encourages job switching to mix and match abilities and try out new jobs that you unlock. FFXII is more about spreading out abilities to make a balanced team with job switching only being added as an undo option.

Also FFV jobs develop in a linear fashion and you can feasibly learn the same abilities throughout your entire team. FFXII's character growth on the other hand, has the job classes set hard boundaries for what your characters can do. Once you basically decide what a character will and will not be able to do, it's then up to you to decide what to spend your license points on and when.
Well, all I can say is that FFIII can't say anything.

D

Deleted member

Screenshot 2021-03-21 8.05.09 PM.png

If there's any silver lining to having to go back 5 days a week with both divided groups, it's that I can finally play MTG with a group of people rather than with my brother. hopefully anyway, my school never can seem to fully commit to minor stuff like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom