• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snorlax Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Also catcher in the rye is a horrible book. it's so boring and holden is the most obnoxious main character ever and blaaaaaargh
God talk about it (Holden's the main character right? I've only read like 6 chapters out of it). He is so ****ing annoying. I didn't hear ANYTHING other than how this guy was a phony and this other guy was a bigger phony.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
You don't get Holden's idea, right? Catcher in the Rye isn't a bad book at all.

Go read The Great Gatsby. I found that book very enjoyable.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Gatsby was a great book. The ending
was really sad, though. Gatsby gone, and Daisy still with Tom, that's just terrible. I still remember one line, I think by Nick. Something along the lines of Tom and Daisy ruin things and let other people pick up the pieces.

UberMario

Smash Master
I just spent three hours looking at TV Tropes, and I don't even remember how I got there . . . . . . .

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Just finished it.

At the end, did Winston actually die or is he still alive? Is the whole conversion thing just in his head as he 'loves' Big Brother?

I thought it was pretty interesting. Scary concept though.
He's technically alive, but he's basically completely dead inside and brainwashed.

The whole book I was expecting some sort of turnaround and for Big Brother to be overthrown, so the ending was pretty shocking to me. Unhappy endings are seriously underrated, they have a much larger effect on you.

Also catcher in the rye is a horrible book. it's so boring and holden is the most obnoxious main character ever and blaaaaaargh
God talk about it (Holden's the main character right? I've only read like 6 chapters out of it). He is so ****ing annoying. I didn't hear ANYTHING other than how this guy was a phony and this other guy was a bigger phony.
I disagree with both sentiments. I really didn't enjoy it for the first half or so of the book the first time around, but by the end of the book, I changed my opinion. It's really quite an interesting book, and the whole idea of the flawed narrator in Holden adds another level to it.

You don't get Holden's idea, right? Catcher in the Rye isn't a bad book at all.

Go read The Great Gatsby. I found that book very enjoyable.
Gatsby was a great book. The ending
was really sad, though. Gatsby gone, and Daisy still with Tom, that's just terrible. I still remember one line, I think by Nick. Something along the lines of Tom and Daisy ruin things and let other people pick up the pieces.
Agreed with both of these, The Great Gatsby is a great book too.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Gen 5 metagame is awesome. Seeing Shell Break Cloyster mess things up everywhere.

Firus said:
He's technically alive, but he's basically completely dead inside and brainwashed.

The whole book I was expecting some sort of turnaround and for Big Brother to be overthrown, so the ending was pretty shocking to me. Unhappy endings are seriously underrated, they have a much larger effect on you.
Yeah... I was really hoping for Winston not to end up like this, but I guess given the way the story is, it was inevitable.

So should I read Dracula or Tale of Two Cities next?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Oh wow the irony I have to read The Great Gatsby for school right now.

:V

Oracle

Smash Master
I love the great gatsby! That's a great book.

I saw the idea that holden was supposed to portray, but he did it poorly. He's supposed to be an anti hero, but an anti hero still has to accomplish something. Holden really is just an angsty teenager mad at the world but lacking the conviction to do anything about it. It's not like it was poorly written, i just didn't enjoy the way he portrayed the "message"

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I have lost Sephiroths the Mightyena, which was promptly replaced with Spire the Absol.

The Team
Circa the Blaziken
Wave the Linoone
UltiMario the Manectric
Mood4Food the Hariyama
Yink the Altaria
Spire the Absol

You'll be the next one, PowerBomb!

Moozle

Smash Champion
I liked Gatsby, but my favorite book that we read in 11th grade was The Things They Carried. I wrote a cool paper about that book :)

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Is it me, or is AP Environmental Science insanely easy? I swear I've gotten near 100% on both tests so far and I've barely studied.

Anyone taken that class? Such a joke compared to APBio.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
AP Environmental Science is essentially a weaker AP Biology. Everyone takes that class for the A in an AP course, ahaha.

I wish I could've taken APES instead of AP Statistics. AP Stat. is such a joke I wish I invested those credits into another AP science course.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
My Honors Pre-Calc teacher wouldn't sign off AP Stats. She told the class that it was basically a way to fail math courses in college.

So I took calc. ._.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I disagree with both sentiments. I really didn't enjoy it for the first half or so of the book the first time around, but by the end of the book, I changed my opinion. It's really quite an interesting book, and the whole idea of the flawed narrator in Holden adds another level to it.
Well that's your opinion. And if you've known me for a long time, you'd know I'm willing to read ANYTHING. But the personality of Holden and the fact that they say the word boy in about every sentence just turned me off.

Dracula isn't that great. It's rather boring.

It is an interesting metaphor for homosexuality though.
How so? I never noticed it when I read through it.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well that's your opinion. And if you've known me for a long time, you'd know I'm willing to read ANYTHING. But the personality of Holden and the fact that they say the word boy in about every sentence just turned me off.
Indeed, it is my opinion...that's all I intended it to be. Enjoyment of a book pretty much has to be subjective.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You can get into objectivity with books (and any medium, really), but because everyone gets enjoyment from different things it's pretty much impossible to be objective if you're talking about enjoyment, which was what I was talking about in my post.

M.K

Level 55
Except that ____________ is the greatest book ever. That certainly isn't an opinion.
That's still an opinion, you just worded it to sound like a fact.

"The best color is blue"

"My favorite color is blue"

^-Twa'hah'aaha

I'm bored.

*throws Sweet Tarts into Snorlax Room*

DANCE MINIONS!

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Hihidaruma more like Hihididyermama

How so? I never noticed it when I read through it.
I'm too lazy to type out an entire paragraph or two about it, but basically there is a lot of homoerotic imagery (the count sucking on that mail character's neck), vampirism is a way to reproduce without requiring a female, and blood is a metaphor for semen.

I took a Gothic Tales class last year, didn't pay a whole lot of attention. lol

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Alright, so I got my HDTV, as well as the HDMI for Wii (Thanks, Wave), and is saving up for the PS3.

Games I'm getting:

Final Fantasy XIII (I have too, despite it...)
Super Street Fighter IV
Dragon Age (And all DLC)

Any Reccomendations? And no, I don't care for FPS.

Also, got Monster Hunter Tri to give me something to do besides Drakengard's grinding and Pokemon's Pokedex...insanity.

And to keep me from playing B/W yet.

Just finished *** quests on offline, and I have to say it's pretty cool. All the weapons are fun (haven't tried Bowgun or Long Sword yet, though), and me and my girlfriend love beating the records in Arena XD.

Anyone on PC have codes and wanna team up sometime? (I know theres a MH3 post in LH, but I'm just asking here)

And on a final note...are blogs here gone forever? :/

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'm also planning on getting a PS3 one of these days, maybe buy myself one for Christmas.

I've played a little Killzone 2 with my friends, fun game, probably pretty cheap now. There's also some other old-ish PS3 games like Little Big Planet and MGS4.

Also BlazBlue, but I think I'm a little biased on that one

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I like JP games, jrpgs (obviously), but..really anything but fps. Outside of Metroid, I find fps boring an repetitive.

Dunno why.

Wish my HDMI port would come though, I've actually heard some good things about this adapter. I mean Wii will never look like PS3, but hey, it can try XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom