• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snorlax Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Maybe it'll be refreshing to see something new added to a Metroid game...

Kind of like with B/W, they're adding rotation battles and slightly changing that battle formula. Team Ninja is adding something new to the Metroid franchise... maybe it'll be a hit. Prime did it really well.
Well, Prime really just took Metroid and made it 3D...which was not at all an easy feat, and it did it amazingly, but it didn't really change the core gameplay.

Metroid was never really about the combat, though -- it sounds silly to say that, given how abundant enemies tend to be and considering that boss fights occur regularly, but the focus tends to be on the puzzle/adventure aspect -- enemy fights are usually more about finding the weakness and exploiting it than just piling a bunch of Power Beams into them.

But with Other M's big deal out of finishing moves and such, as well as the fact that the health system is too close to the current FPS health system for comfort -- enemies no longer drop energy, you can merely "focus" anytime you're not fighting an enemy to restore energy -- I'm a little nervous about that direction.

I'm hoping that they're just trying to make the trailers flashy with all of the finishing moves and Other M turns out to be an excellent game. I still intend to get it on release date and am looking forward to playing it, I'm just sort of skeptical. And really, I'd rather be skeptical than hyped, because it makes it less annoying to wait for the game, and if the game doesn't turn out to be stellar I won't be disappointed.

At the very least, the plot should be interesting.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Prime 2 is easily the worst of the 3 prime games lol. You're just a weird person Firus, dont hate on 3.
Well, that's your opinion. I initially thought the same, but second time around I found I enjoyed Prime 2 much more. Prime 1 is also amazing, but Prime 2 beats it for me.

Prime 3 isn't bad, but between the fact that it's almost entirely devoid of the typical Metroid isolation and the fact that Phazon went from being this terrifying, radioactive substance to being as common as water but with healing properties...plus the fact that I don't like the motion controls...it's my least favorite of the trilogy. I've played through it almost two times (the second time, I got to the Energy Cell hunt and stopped), but it's hard to replay it given such a sharp contrast to the first two.

I am a weird person, granted, but that's my opinion.

Tacel

Smash Lord
Oh that's amazing. Thanks, TAL!
No problem.
The quality is terrible, though.
Hmm, not sure if I know what your talking about. I haven't had problems with the quality, but I have only done it one or twice.

The only people that are home right now are my dad, a guy working on our bathroom, and me.

So today's my birthday. The problem is that my brother is at school, my sister is at college, my mom is at work, and I think I might be getting sick.

Once my brother gets home we're going to play some Smash.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Eh, maybe it's because I'm used to .flac, but songs from YouTube never sounded all that great to me.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAL.

I TOTALLY HAVE A COLD, LET'S BE SICK BUDDIES

wait

That sounds weird.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hmm, not sure if I know what your talking about. I haven't had problems with the quality, but I have only done it one or twice.
How obvious it is depends on how good the upload quality was in the first place, but YouTube in general has pretty bad audio quality. If you listen to a YouTube quality version of something, then an original version, it's usually pretty easy to make out the difference.

In any case, happy birthday!

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Well, that's your opinion. I initially thought the same, but second time around I found I enjoyed Prime 2 much more. Prime 1 is also amazing, but Prime 2 beats it for me.
The only thing that was kind of "eh" about Prime 2 was the ammo for beams, but I guess it added to the survival aspect of the game.

But I might agree with you about Prime 2 having a better atmosphere; I love Tallon IV and all of its locations (it's so pretty!), but between the moody Torvus Bog soundtrack and the foreboding and lonely dark world locations, I think Prime 2 has a slight edge.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Happy b-day, TAL.

Also, dem Phendrana Drifts!

Torvus Bog was awesome though. Except for the Alpha Blogg. I hate that stupid thing.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Prime 2 being your favorite does not disprove it as being the worst of the series.
Prime 2 being the worst in your opinion does not prove it as being the worst in the series.

Seriously, it's all opinion...

Prime 1 was nice due to unlimited ammo (lawl 255 Missiles), Prime 2 was nice since it basically had two worlds that established a nice mood- dark, dreary, and dangerous.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Prime 2 being your favorite does not disprove it as being the worst of the series.
You keep saying it's the worst of the trilogy (which I'm not sure can even be decided objectively), but why would you argue it's the worst of the trilogy?

Beam Ammo is annoying at times to be certain, but the fact that you have limited Beam Ammo requires you to use strategy and makes the game more difficult -- you COULD just spam Light Beam in Dark Aether and easily destroy almost every enemy, but if you do, you'll run out quickly. Annihilator Beam, once you do get it, is incredibly lethal, but spamming that is even more costly. I mean, it does make the Beam Combos almost useless because they're not easy to hit with and are incredibly costly, but I barely ever used those even in Prime 1. And it's not as if you can wind up stuck, because if you run out of ammo you can just charge up to shoot a regular shot of that kind -- even using Dark to get Light Ammo or vice versa, if you need to.

Dark Aether's atmosphere being harmful is somewhat annoying to be sure, but again, it requires you to use more strategy and planning. If you really need to, you can camp in a safe zone and heal, although the game discourages that to an extent because it takes so long.

Atmospherically, it really does excel -- between the environment itself and how the music contributes to that, it's quite immersive.

The one complaint I have with the game is how little they incorporated the "Echoes" theme. I think the Annihilator Beam involving sound (interesting that a combination of Light and Dark make that) and the Echo Visor's concept are both really cool, and I wish they might've incorporated them more -- perhaps had them obtainable earlier to do so -- but overall, I think the game was executed quite well.

I'd almost compare Prime 2 to Majora's Mask, in that it took what the original did and, while maintaining the same sort of gameplay concept, changed the way gameplay was executed and did so in a darker manner. I'd also say that it has the same part where it tends to be overshadowed and not as well liked, though Majora's Mask has grown in popularity over the years.

...That long analysis of the game wasn't really necessary, but I just sort of started typing and that's what came out. That's why I used to have "[/rant]" in my sig. >_>

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
IGN Reader's ratings:

1: 9.3
2: 9.2
3: 9.1

Editor's ratings:

1. 9.8
2. 9.5
3. 9.5
We aren't really citing reviews as an actual argument as to which game is better, are we?

Everyone has their own opinions, and really, other people's opinions matter very little to me. Even with averaged reviews such as on Metacritic and the like, I take them *** grano salis. Mirror's Edge received mediocre reviews on average, and it's my favorite game of all time.

M.K

Level 55
Likewise, Firus and I had an awesome time with Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, which has like...a 60 or 70 something Metacritic >_>

EDIT: Yes, Firus and I are brothers.
<3

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
The one complaint I have with the game is how little they incorporated the "Echoes" theme.
Actually, I think the reasoning behind the Echoes title relates to how Dark Aether is an "echo" of Light Aether, being a similar, but "lesser" form of it. I always thought the Echo visor was just tying it all together.

I'd almost compare Prime 2 to Majora's Mask
Teehee, my favourite games of 2 of my favourite series. :3

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
We aren't really citing reviews as an actual argument as to which game is better, are we?
I never said that, but in hindsight, I probably should have said why I posted them, since I knew someone would misinterpret it on purpose to be a jerk.

Reviews are as close as you can get to a definitive answer. Unless, of course, you have a better way.

M.K

Level 55
I never said that, but in hindsight, I probably should have said why I posted them, since I knew someone would misinterpret it on purpose to be a jerk.

Reviews are as close as you can get to a definitive answer. Unless, of course, you have a better way.
The "better way" is forming your own opinion and respecting others, whether it agrees or disagrees with yours.

Riddle me this: A man walks up to you, says "I DESPISE tomatoes. They are ALWAYS rotten and they are prone to giving you diseases. I would give tomatoes a 4/10".
Is this man's critique of tomatoes going to be your own interpretation?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The "better way" is forming your own opinion and respecting others, whether it agrees or disagrees with yours.
One's own opinion is the opposite of objective.

Riddle me this: A man walks up to you, says "I DESPISE tomatoes. They are ALWAYS rotten and they are prone to giving you diseases. I would give tomatoes a 4/10".
Is this man's critique of tomatoes going to be your own interpretation?
No, but I would definitely take his opinion into consideration while I ask another 1,199 people about tomatoes.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Actually, I think the reasoning behind the Echoes title relates to how Dark Aether is an "echo" of Light Aether, being a similar, but "lesser" form of it. I always thought the Echo visor was just tying it all together.
I'm sure the reasoning for Echoes in the title was akin to that, but I merely wish they had incorporated sound in there more -- because I really do think sound is an interesting gameplay element.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk and I certainly didn't misinterpret it on purpose, considering all you did was paste review scores during a discussion of objective better/worse, I assumed that was what you were saying.

I could've worded the first sentence of my response better and even considered leaving it out altogether, but that's legitimately what I thought you were saying.

I don't see why we need a definitive answer, honestly. I enjoy Prime 2 the most out of the trilogy, and that's really all that matters to me. I enjoy Mirror's Edge like no other game, and despite the fact that I know no one else who gets the same enjoyment out of it as I do, I'm content to keep enjoying it.

I recognize that most people do not agree with me on that, and I'm content with that as well. I see lower reviews for a game I enjoy as a sign that people disagree with me, and well -- it doesn't really matter to me that they do.

M.K

Level 55
One's own opinion is the opposite of objective.

No, but I would definitely take his opinion into consideration while I ask another 1,199 people about tomatoes.
There is NO objective solution to this kind of situation, so we must resort to the closest thing, a personal opinion.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
You keep saying it's the worst of the trilogy (which I'm not sure can even be decided objectively), but why would you argue it's the worst of the trilogy?

Beam Ammo is annoying at times to be certain, but the fact that you have limited Beam Ammo requires you to use strategy and makes the game more difficult -- you COULD just spam Light Beam in Dark Aether and easily destroy almost every enemy, but if you do, you'll run out quickly. Annihilator Beam, once you do get it, is incredibly lethal, but spamming that is even more costly. I mean, it does make the Beam Combos almost useless because they're not easy to hit with and are incredibly costly, but I barely ever used those even in Prime 1. And it's not as if you can wind up stuck, because if you run out of ammo you can just charge up to shoot a regular shot of that kind -- even using Dark to get Light Ammo or vice versa, if you need to.

Dark Aether's atmosphere being harmful is somewhat annoying to be sure, but again, it requires you to use more strategy and planning. If you really need to, you can camp in a safe zone and heal, although the game discourages that to an extent because it takes so long.

Atmospherically, it really does excel -- between the environment itself and how the music contributes to that, it's quite immersive.

The one complaint I have with the game is how little they incorporated the "Echoes" theme. I think the Annihilator Beam involving sound (interesting that a combination of Light and Dark make that) and the Echo Visor's concept are both really cool, and I wish they might've incorporated them more -- perhaps had them obtainable earlier to do so -- but overall, I think the game was executed quite well.

I'd almost compare Prime 2 to Majora's Mask, in that it took what the original did and, while maintaining the same sort of gameplay concept, changed the way gameplay was executed and did so in a darker manner. I'd also say that it has the same part where it tends to be overshadowed and not as well liked, though Majora's Mask has grown in popularity over the years.

...That long analysis of the game wasn't really necessary, but I just sort of started typing and that's what came out. That's why I used to have "[/rant]" in my sig. >_>
I say it's the worst of the trilogy because it bases itself around key collecting and ONLY key collecting. The main gameplay mechanic is boring as ****, and honestly the worst part about the FIRST game was the end game key collecting(thankfully a lot of that could be done during the earlier parts of the game but if you didnt know you're supposed to be doing it you'd wind up having alot of annoying backtracking to do) Its tedious game play that degrades an otherwise amazing game.

Also the Beam ammo and Dark World do not produce more strategic game play. It just led to a lot of "Avoid attacks, spam normal blaster." Though honestly i blame that on the fact that the Dark Beam and Light Beam were just exact copies of the Ice Beam and Plasma Beam in the first game. The Ice Beam was terrible, it's slow rate of fire and projectile speed made it basically useless so they really didnt need to bring it back again =\ The Light Beam was almost good but because it wasnt the "last weapon" it wasnt nearly as powerful as its MP1 counterpart and with that drop in power it just becomes a slow firing weapon that you can for some reason run out of ammo for. I understand why they gave you ammo for the weapons, I really do, the light beam would be stupid broken in the dark world if you could use it as much as you wanted but that doesnt make it any less terrible of a mechanic.

Also, dont compare MM to Metroid Prime 2. Majora's Mask didnt just take OoT and make it darker, it made an entire world, filled it with interesting characters and stories and destroyed the stereotypical Zelda story trend. Metroid Prime 2 is Metroid Prime 1 with the lights off. Still, Metroid Prime 1 was fun so having more of it wasnt bad, but it never actually managed to surpass the original and even managed to be worse in some spots, hence the "Worst of the trilogy" point i keep making.

Metroid Prime 2 isnt a bad game. It's just not as good as what came before it. Metroid Prime 3 is ALSO not as good as MP1 but it's definitely better than 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom