• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snorlax Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You can't use files directly from WMM. You have to go to File > Publish Movie... and follow the steps there (it may take a while to finish that, depending on how much Movie Maker is deciding to suck at the moment). That should save it as a Windows Media Audio/Video file which will work with YouTube.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lmao definitely something ive never seen before.......

koga's muk

swagger + screech

made my jirachi OHKO itself in confusion from full HP

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I like Chuck's Hitmonchan with Double Team / Swagger / Mach Punch / Focus Punch. I sent in a lv. 19 Duskull and PP stalled it to die with Pain Split / Will-o-Wisp.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I like Chuck's Hitmonchan with Double Team / Swagger / Mach Punch / Focus Punch. I sent in a lv. 19 Duskull and PP stalled it to die with Pain Split / Will-o-Wisp.
Oh wow, really?

I can just send in Haunter or Gengar to destroy it o_o

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You hate stereotypes so much that you're telling all us "white people" that we're judging you.

Yeah except we're not all judging you.
Well, I could've called you a gringo like every hispanic calls you guys, but I didn't

and North American sounds awkward anyways.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Every time this argument comes up, someone decides to say this as if it somehow makes stereotypes totally sensible.

It doesn't.

I know people don't pull stereotypes from out of their butts, but that doesn't mean that if they say every person of ____ descent is stupid, they've actually met every person of said descent and can actually make that statement.

I'm not just complaining about racial stereotypes either, I'm complaining about them in general. Like, one of my co-workers seemed surprised that I, as well as some of her guy friends, enjoy music with a female singer. Can someone explain to me why music should suddenly be less enjoyable to me because a woman's singing?

I'm not sure why I bother getting angry over stereotypes, though, since they're pretty much a fact of life. One more reason I'm a huge fan of people.
Please read what I said. I am saying that all stereotypes are based on truthes. You must think I am saying all stereotypes are truthes, or maybe stereotypes are good, etc etc. Which they aren't. Stereotypes are just a way our mind catagorizes things. Or something like that, just remember hearing that in Psych.

M.K

Level 55
Please read what I said. I am saying that all stereotypes are based on truthes. You must think I am saying all stereotypes are truthes, or maybe stereotypes are good, etc etc. Which they aren't. Stereotypes are just a way our mind catagorizes things. Or something like that, just remember hearing that in Psych.
Psychologicalyl, he's right, Firus.
A "stereotype" is misused so many times being racially related or sexually related, it's disgusting.
The psychological interpretation of a "stereotype" is a mental categorization of prototypes in the brain that is used to identify objects faster. Prototypes are mental images in the brain of a "normal" object.

For example:

The stereotype of a car has 4 wheels, windows, and headlights. Because your brain creates the "image" of a car in your mind, you are better able to understand what's in front of you.
However, the stereotype is misled when certain cars (See: Volkswagon Buggy, Smart Cars, Convertibles, Sports Cars, Hummers, etc.) do not match the stereotype of the common car, or in better terms, the "prototype" of the car that you've come to known.

Socially, the "stereotype" of a black man is different from the "stereotype" of a Hispanic man. A stereotype is what should be considered the "normal", and since it's an overused "generalization" is to say that black men eat watermelon, fried chicken, and live in the projects, it eventually becomes the prototype in your brain, which develops into the stereotype.

TL:DR Version: The correct word here is "generalization". Stereotypes ARE based on truths, but what you guys are describing are NOT stereotypes.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well, I could've called you a gringo like every hispanic calls you guys, but I didn't

and North American sounds awkward anyways.
...You missed my point entirely.

You were stereotyping us gringos/whites/North Americans by saying we ALL do something. Don't really care what it is you call me.

I read what you said, and my point is that yes, stereotypes are based on truths, but just because they are BASED on truths doesn't mean they ARE truths. And because they're NOT truths, it's stupid to actually apply them.

TL:DR Version: The correct word here is "generalization". Stereotypes ARE based on truths, but what you guys are describing are NOT stereotypes.
Um...yes they are?

Dictionary.com said:
a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group
And to be perfectly honest I don't care all that much what they actually are called anyway, you know what I'm saying.

Whatever psychological mumbo-jumbo is behind it is mostly irrelevant to me, all I know is I hate stereotypes.

I had a headache for the majority of the day at work today and I still have a mild one so if I'm a little irritable, that's why...

M.K

Level 55
Meh, they aren't though, but seeing as how you're dismissing the psychological terms, it's not worth getting into.

TL;DR version: Anyone that uses/takes a generalization/stereotype seriously is ignorant, and most are used as jokes.

Niiro

Smash Ace
There is a whole lot of stereotyping on people who use stereotypes here. You are generalizing that they (stereotyping people) are all ignorant, which is based on some fact, but not true under all circumstances =P

M.K

Level 55
There is a whole lot of stereotyping on people who use stereotypes here. You are generalizing that they (stereotyping people) are all ignorant, which is based on some fact, but not true under all circumstances =P

You're stereotyping that the people who stereotype on people who stereotype .....BLAHHHH jaykay :p

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
...You missed my point entirely.

You were stereotyping us gringos/whites/North Americans by saying we ALL do something. Don't really care what it is you call me.
Oh.... well then you also missed my point entirely as well. I wasn't stereotyping you, I was pointing out a stereotype you guys have on us

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yeah, it's stereotypical to think all americans have stereotypes on you.

._.

God ****it we'll just keep on adding another stereotype forever and ever.

aaaaaaaaaa

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Meh, they aren't though, but seeing as how you're dismissing the psychological terms, it's not worth getting into.
The problem is that whatever stereotype may mean in a psychological sense apparently isn't the same as what it means NORMALLY. I pulled up a dictionary definition, which I thought pretty much proved that.

Again, not that I really care either way if it's the technically correct term or not, if you understood what I meant by "stereotype" then whether or not it's actually called that is entirely beside the point.

Which, in itself, is a stereotype.
._.
^
This was my point.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
So uh...as I think I said here already, I set a goal to get 100% in all of the Metroid Prime games before Other M came out. I got through Prime 1 and 2, and enjoyed them both thoroughly (2 is now my favorite of the trilogy), but I started on 3 last night and between the motion controls and cliché plot-points/gameplay concepts, I couldn't even bring myself to get through the prologue of the game (for those of you who have played the game, this means I didn't even get the PED Suit yet).

So I decided to drop it and replace it with Super Metroid, since I've never 100%'d it except on the VC, and that was using a guide to get me through the entire game.

I apparently haven't lost my touch with the game at all, despite the fact that I haven't played through it in more than a year and a half. Sequence broke and got the Super Missiles without fighting Spore Spawn, got the Ice, Wave, and Spazer Beams early, and accidentally got the Power Bombs "early" (technically I was at a point where I could've gotten it anyway, but I got it from an expansion instead of where you're supposed to get it).

And those kinds of speed tricks/sequence breaking possibilities are exactly why I love Super Metroid so much.

/attempt at a new topic

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Hear that, PowerBomb? Firus cheated on you.

Oh, the awkwardness of that wording. Lol.

I liked the Prime series regardless. I was a bit shaky at first but got used to it.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
I couldn't make myself play Metroid Prime 3. I HATED the motion controls... it was just so bad for me. If they came out with one that was usable with a GC controller, I'd be happy, but it'll never happen.

Hopefully Other M isn't as annoying.

Terybad said:

OOOOOH

Where's a troll picture when you need it?

XACE-K

Smash Master
So I just came back from the movie theater with some friends after watching Inception. All I can say is that it is possible the best movie I've ever seen.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

Ahahaha. Somehow, I never picked up on the fact that his name was "Power Bomb"...

I liked the Prime series regardless. I was a bit shaky at first but got used to it.
Yeah, even Prime 3 is a good game, just...in comparison to the first two, and given the fact that I had just finished with them, and had just finished realizing how much they excelled in things where Prime 3 changed it, I couldn't get through Prime 3 right now.

2nd time through must make a difference, because I did the same thing in the summer of '07, before Prime 3 came out, but just with beating Prime 1 and 2 -- as I had never done so before for either.

I couldn't make myself play Metroid Prime 3. I HATED the motion controls... it was just so bad for me. If they came out with one that was usable with a GC controller, I'd be happy, but it'll never happen.
Yeah...the worst part is everyone loved the motion controls so much that there's no way in hell they'd ever make a version of it without them.

Hopefully Other M isn't as annoying.
Hopefully...I'm a little skeptical it might have a fair share of problems, though. The more I see Samus doing some stupid finishing move on the enemies in pretty much every trailer for the game, the more worried I get about how stupidly action-y Team Ninja made it.

I'm sure it'll be a good game, but I have an inkling it won't be much of a Metroid game.

Terybad said:

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Maybe it'll be refreshing to see something new added to a Metroid game...

Kind of like with B/W, they're adding rotation battles and slightly changing that battle formula. Team Ninja is adding something new to the Metroid franchise... maybe it'll be a hit. Prime did it really well.

Speaking of Pokemon MP3's, I find orchestrated remixes very pleasant and the lack of OC remixes disappointing :/

Also online class <3

EDIT: It's also VERY disappointing that there are no OC remixes of Skull Dungeon from OoA :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs9XJXxygbk

Tell me that ain't awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom