• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMPDx

Smash Cadet
If you don't do it from a crouch it can be very surprising. But I'd rather have a grenade there and a mortar soaring above me than dtilt camp the edge. >.>
yeah i understand what you mean. Still it depends on the situation. take a look a this match when its at 52 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdJhVbaS1-Q (im only using this match as an example on how or when the down tilt can be use. there are other videos if you would like to see.)

there are other videos at my account regarding on Snake vs Falco.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Question: Is it possible to PS our grenade and then buffer a utilt--thus having both connect? This is assuming they are heavy or it is at low percent. Because, I keep thinking I should try this. I've been working on PSing my grenades more, or just shading with them while they explode for space. But, if I can buffer a utilt into it [assuming my opponent is grounded] I can tack on some more damage.

But, I think this maybe impossible because the grenades do not have a whole lot of hit-stun I believe...and it takes like what, 1 frame to PS, right? Then the drop takes a frame, then the utilt comes out.

I feel that we should start coming up with more clever ways to use our grenades--I do not see anyone do this, but grenades can clearly push you. Someone discovered you can tilt your shield and you can DI with your shield (sort of), and I wanted to start using that in my game as well. Is that even useful, or no?

.decoy

Smash Ace
im not sure about the PS to utilt thing. has to be tested.
tilting your shield is very useful, probably most notable when mk nados the top of your shield (tilt it up and it's less likely to break).

.decoy

Smash Ace
that is true but if its going to break simply stop shielding (as im sure you know).
i do find it useful though, given that you can be on your feet when the nado ends as opposed to taking three % and popping into the air.

Tiender Bocks

Smash Cadet
Is there a good way to avoid Pikachu's Thunder (down-b) when recovering? Should I try to airdodge through it or try to recover above it?

-Ran

Smash Master
The key is not to get scared. You can dodge the Thunder bolt on reaction, so do not air dodge until your opponent does it. If you air dodge before they do it, you'll be bolted.

This question is really dumb, but anyone have a crash course in killing? The biggest problem I have in all match-ups is not damage racking, I have that down pretty much. The problem I have is killing someone. Seriously, everyone I play against pretty much lives as long as I do unless I manage to pull off some sort of edgehog or an aerial KO with Nair/Bair/Uair near the stage ceiling/sides.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
This may sound dumb, but you gotta not go for the kill. Because theyre at killing percentage they will expect you to use kill moves on them. So theyre less likely to hit.

What I like to do is try to grab them and either get the kill from a techchase or throw them in the air/offstage to put them in a bad spot, then try to get the kill as they recover.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Don't approach, a common mistake when at KO % is to stop camping and run after them hoping they'll fall for a dodge or roll or something and then KO them, they expect that and it will only work if you call their every move(if you have this ability you should be having no problems winning anyway). You're always at a disadvantage when you approach in this game, so just keep camping and force them to get around you. Grenades will KO eventually....

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Also, if they're at killing percents they are likely to feel more pressured. They may change strategies, choke, or fall for baits a bit more easily. If you have at them cornered at a ledge, be patient, don't approach, and watch the opponent. Sometimes they'll just try something stupid like a roll behind you or F/SHAD. I tend to always rush and watch less - but when I got the advice to really pay attention, it did wonders.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
one thing I've found useful is using dthrow tech-chasing alot but trying to purposfully not punish them so much when the pick the option of lying there doing nothing to fake me out, so that when I get a grab at kill percent I dthrow into a buffered utilt and most of the time they'll try do the lying thing and get hit and die, if you can get them into the right mindset then it works like a charm.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Personally for the Dthrow tech chase. I lay them down and turn around. More often than not they will either do a direct get up(which just leads to an easy pivot grab) or a roll the other way.(Boost grab.) At higher percents I do one jab and then just shield. If they attack they are dead. The only safe option they have is to roll away which just gets them hit by a dash attack. If the jab hits, buffer the utilt next.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Snake's best options at low percents is just to go below the ledge and jump to grab it. At higher percents he will use a cypher boost to get high and back to the stage. Your best choice would probably be to use an upsmash where you think he is landing. Or a pivot grab. Be careful because he will probably mix up his recovery with b reversals.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
What should I do against MK that just runs in shields? F-tilt/jab gets grabbed and sidestep gets punished with Dsmash. Sometimes, MK can just sh FAir at the last second to punish sidestep as well.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
When MK starts a dash your best option is to pivot grab.

However, I personally like to pull a nade then walk back and grab.

An easter egg.

Whenever you use remote mine, it randomly shapes into a butterfly from MGS 3. You didn't know that?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
if you shield sh fair, you can ftilt him before he lands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom