• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR official stance on Metaknight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swordgard

Smash Hero
you try punish an mk after he charges f-smash. it goes directly into a d-smash. or try punishing a shuttle loop from below a stage and as he lands on stage, he can loop again. even fully blocking a tornado does not guarantee punishment. THATS ********
If you hit the nado he gets more knockback, alot of characters can deal with it too. You obviously didnt read any of the actual counter arguments people gave.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Yea, cause we'll go to the Russian mafia and tell them to send brutes to every Smash event in order to enforce that people do what they want.

Didnt you see the clearly based on SBR movie trailer video i posted. Everyone who had any means to stand up to the SBR is now dead or missing.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Items don't add an extra layer of strategy, they make the game even more shallow(who'd have thought this was possible in brawl...) because standard methods of fighting are strictly inferior to "run away and get items first".
This man has the right idea.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Yea, cause we'll go to the Russian mafia and tell them to send brutes to every Smash event in order to enforce that people do what they want.
Can I be one of the brutes?

I've got tons of martial arts experience!

*jumps up and down while waving hands and shouting "pick me"*

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fixed.

10fixeds.
Well according to them they're just a bunch of friends that really don't have any true influence on the community so... I've been letting that stew in my head for the past two days and, the more I think about it, the more it annoys me simply because it's almost the polar opposite of how the SBR was in the past (ie; the Melee days). I mean, seriously, you have a good number of top players, directors, MODs, and discussion leaders and they don't have any influence on what goes on in the Smash community? Really? Really? I'm surprized I'm even able to type right now because a statement like that kind of makes me want to take an extended vacation from this place. "We host the major tournaments, make the tier list, decide the basic rules of competitive Smash, research new techs, rank in the big tournaments, lead match up discussions, and can ban people if they step out of line but... no, we don't have any influence or authority over the Smash community." *quack*

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Well according to them they're just a bunch of friends that really don't have any true influence on the community so... I've been letting that stew in my head for the past two days and, the more I think about it, the more it annoys me simply because it's almost the polar opposite of how the SBR was in the past (ie; the Melee days). I mean, seriously, you have a good number of top players, directors, MODs, and discussion leaders and they don't have any influence on what goes on in the Smash community? Really? Really? I'm surprized I'm even able to type right now because a statement like that kind of makes me want to take an extended vacation from this place. "We host the major tournaments, make the tier list, decide the basic rules of competitive Smash, research new techs, rank in the big tournaments, lead match up discussions, and can ban people if they step out of line but... no, we don't have any influence or authority over the Smash community." *quack*
I think you're misunderstanding what he's trying to say, you also gotta remember that English isn't his first language.

SBR has tons of influence, but they don't have any direct power. That's why they can't send the mafia to your door for example. They only have influence as long as people listen to them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think you're misunderstanding what he's trying to say, you also gotta remember that English isn't his first language.

SBR has tons of influence, but they don't have any direct power. That's why they can't send the mafia to your door for example. They only have influence as long as people listen to them.
Actually, I'm not referring to Spadefox, I'm actually referring to comments that Hylian made the other day when he basically said "heh, dude, we're pretty much a secret club of good friends that just goofs around and people listen to us for some unknown reason." They can't force people to do things, granted, but, as I said earlier in this thread, they do have a decent amount of power when it comes to people's opinions on certain matters.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I thought this thread was dead. Hasn't it been a week yet? I see a new post, and something urges me to come and read what they're talking about... And all that's happening is people dissing and defending the SBR.

Meh.

Flayl

Smash Hero
And yet a lot of SBR members will host MK banned tournaments, or host tournaments with different map settings, or host tournaments where Planking is banned.

Of course they have influence, what Spadefox said multiple times, which you ignore on purpose, is that SBR isn't the say all be all on Smash. If they recommend something, it's because there is a good reason to do so.

Maybe it is best if you take a vacation from this subject.

edit: this is what I get for tabbed browsing on a forum.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
They're not but there's no denying that they have a strong control over the major trends and beliefs. Take the tier list for example; it indirectly decides who most people play as and what most people will face in competitions. Tell me, do you think Metaknight be as popular as he is if it weren't for the tier list backing him up? There was a short point in time when Snake was a lot more popular than Metaknight; why? It's because it was speculated by the higher ups that he was the best character in the game. Also like I said earlier, most of the biggest tournaments in the the Smash community are hosted by SBR members. Metaknight banned tournaments don't really matter at this point because they don't even get counted in the tournament results and neither do tournaments that deviate too strongly from the standard and online tournaments too. The point is that, yes, there are options to side step the influence but, in turn, these ways also side step your overall impact on certain things like the tier list. In other words, you can do whatever you want but, unless you go about things a certain way, it's not going to really count for Jack which, on a forum like this, is decently important.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
SBR's recommendations are sort of a "Hey, we think these rules are the best for playing Brawl competitively. Try them out, we bet you guys'll love them!" tip. You might want to play differently, but most of the Smash community enjoys those rules, so no need to bash them on recommendations. After, it doesn't automatically change your Wii's settings to what they say. If the majority in the SBR recommends a conclusion to a problem (like the Items debate, and the MK debate), it's just that: a recommendation.

You can ignore their "tips" and do things as you like. If no one attends your MK-Banned events, it means that the population trusts the SBR's decision on how to make the game a better experience... Not that MK-Banned events are resented by the populace. No one forces you to abide by their recommendations. So many people play Brawl casually, with final smashes, 5 stocks, in Hyrule Castle, and they're just fine playing without the recommendations. That's proof enough that their voice doesn't hold enough weight to revolutionize the community.

People abide by what they say because the group was created before, and was admired by all to be the "Best of the Best" in all aspects of the game. They still abide by what they say because they still feel that they're the best at some things others are not, INCLUDING sharing ideas and debating with facts. If they're not as respectable towards the community as before (see Inui), well that's the now, and the other was the then. Not everyone is likeable, but they must have been invited into the SBR for a reason. What good is a board ful of top players, if they all believe their characters are the best and we get a tier list based entirely on opinions? You don't see Xyro saying Samus should be top, high or mid tier because the will to push personal bias aside prevents things like I said from happening, which is put characters where they don't belong in a tier list. AND THAT'S JUST AN EXAMPLE of what people outside the SBR tend to do, they put characters on how they "feel" like they should be in the tier list, with their characters usually higher up than what the list says...

Stop jumping to conclusions with unfounded data. Who's to say they voted AntiBan because the game would be better, healthier, worse, or simply because MK was "fun"? If a person or two had personal bias in the SBR, it doesn't mean the rest are the same AND there's no proof you can pin on anyone that they voted simply for the laughs of seeing the community worsen.

EDIT: And for those of you that think the SBR fuels the community's need to win tourneys with tier lists... Even if the SBR didn't exist, the obvious choice is MK for best character, Snake for second, and whoever the trend falls on is because of what character beats the best player. Diddy, Wario, IC's and Snake are all winners of the "I beat M2K's MK in a set, so I can do it!" awards. I don't think the SBR planned on THOSE matches happening. ADHD went close with Diddy against M2K's MK, and everyone went like "PRO! Diddy's GOOD!" and reinforced their already grounded beliefs due to NinjaLink's matches. Fiction's victory was a reassurance also of Reflex's Wario and its close encounter with M2K's MK. Ally was the last bolt that fastened the structural truth that Snake is the 2nd best character in the game by constantly beating M2K in tourneys. IC's already were notorious for being a match against MK, but when lain beat M2K's MK in a match, everyone exploded with love towards that character. The fact that these trends were fortified after the matches those people won, only show that the SBR's tier lists aren't a direct influence on the community, although it DOES have some. The actual influence comes from tourney matches and HYPE!.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
They're not but there's no denying that they have a strong control over the major trends and beliefs. Take the tier list for example; it indirectly decides who most people play as and what most people will face in competitions. Tell me, do you think Metaknight be as popular as he is if it weren't for the tier list backing him up? There was a short point in time when Snake was a lot more popular than Metaknight; why? It's because it was speculated by the higher ups that he was the best character in the game. Also like I said earlier, most of the biggest tournaments in the the Smash community are hosted by SBR members. Metaknight banned tournaments don't really matter at this point because they don't even get counted in the tournament results and neither do tournaments that deviate too strongly from the standard and online tournaments too. The point is that, yes, there are options to side step the influence but, in turn, these ways also side step your overall impact on certain things like the tier list. In other words, you can do whatever you want but, unless you go about things a certain way, it's not going to really count for Jack which, on a forum like this, is decently important.
He WAS the best character in the game, as far as well knew. Then MKs found out how to get past him. Metagame is what most strongly defines tier list.

Online tournaments have variable lag, there's a reason they don't count. As for tournament results, there's a reason. It's like comparing apples to oranges, they're just not equivilent.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Regarding the online tournaments and what-not, that's the point. I could host tournaments with all the items on and all the banned stages too but my opinion and my tournaments wouldn't be worth anything when it comes to matchup and tier list discussion. As I said, you can do whatever you want, the SBR can't stop you there, but you do have to play by a basic standard ( the one created by the SBR) in order to have any real voice in this community (at least the competitive side).

Add in: Technically, my opinion doesn't matter now because I do play online. *shrugs shoulders*

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Regarding the online tournaments and what-not, that's the point. I could host tournaments with all the items on and all the banned stages too but my opinion and my tournaments wouldn't be worth anything when it comes to matchup and tier list discussion. As I said, you can do whatever you want, the SBR can't stop you there, but you do have to play by a basic standard ( the one created by the SBR) in order to have any real voice in this community (at least the competitive side).

Add in: Technically, my opinion doesn't matter now because I do play online. *shrugs shoulders*
Your opinion matters, but the Tier list is based on the OPTIMUM efficiency characters can exhert. When you have a 6-lag window at OPTIMUM Wi-Fi connections, you're not really saying they're playing at their best, more like they're ALMOST playing at their best. Some characters can get around this thanks to their simplicity, while others are hindered because of how precise their moves have to be in order to be effective.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

That basic standard was not made my the SBR. It was made from tournaments.

You said earlier that the SBR used to do things in the past or whatever but I don't really know where you are getting that from. The 2003-2006 SBR was very inactive. The only thing they did was produce a tier list every year and often months would go by before one post was made in the SBR. Brawl was pretty much out by the time we started making rule lists and those rule lists were heavily influenced by the community standard.

So in short, you guys made the standard, not us.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Your opinion matters, but the Tier list is based on the OPTIMUM efficiency characters can exhert. When you have a 6-lag window at OPTIMUM Wi-Fi connections, you're not really saying they're playing at their best, more like they're ALMOST playing at their best. Some characters can get around this thanks to their simplicity, while others are hindered because of how precise their moves have to be in order to be effective.
That's what I'm saying though; because I don't (more like can't) compete offline, my opinion is pretty much garbage and trumped even by people with limited offline experience. With that being said, I really don't have a say in the tier list or match ups or at least not have people think "wait, is he referring to online or offline play?" Again, it's a matter of going by set standards. My opinion would be worth something if I did compete offline but I don't so it has about as much force as a fart in a hurricane. :laugh:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
FMOI is right, for all intents and purposes the sbr does force people to abide by their rules, because the general populace gives them that power.

also, adumbrodues STAYS makin johns for people, its crazy.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
FMOI is right, for all intents and purposes the sbr does force people to abide by their rules, because the general populace gives them that power.

The population enjoys the SBR's rules, and the population is what forces you to play that way. The SBR just wrote a post with their rules, people like, they use. You come across a tourney and wonder why the rules are that way, while you see hyped people smiling and saying "Brawl is cool", then you ask if they wanna play a free-for-all with final smashes and they look at you all weird. IT'S THEM, NOT THE SBR. They just prefer playing by the SBR's rules because they like the rules.

And not everyone abides their rules. Some states have different stage selections, others different times, some banned a couple of infinites, and there's also been a number of "MK Banned!" events. If anything, the ones affected by the SBR's ruleset are TO's. They're the ones making their tournies, and players enjoy those rules. TO's have to do their tourneys how the players expect a tourney to run like, or else they won't show... It's a risk TO's take when they change the rules around a bit, and luckily it works for them from time to time.

Lol, I went to this tourney where the TO didn't let me change my name's controls! How horrible was it for me, I couldn't do the maneuvers I usually do with ZSS or Kirby, I almost lost a match to a random MK since I depend on Kirby's utilt as a counter for whiffed/powershielded misspaced attacks. If they throw a rule like that again, I won't participate. This hurts the TO because I want the rules to be MY way, which are the SBR's recommended ruleset. I was the player, not the TO. WHo suffered here?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
who suffers? that depends

If you dont show up to a tourney, you are the one that loses out. if you are like m2k and you decide not to show up, which could possibly effectively lower the turnout for the tourney by half, than the TO loses out, its all based on how much pull you have.

yes some times deviations work, but other times you have gauntlet type stuff that happens, where you only get like 17 people to show for a tourney that would have had 30-50 people otherwise

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Why are you the worst serious poster?
You know what? I was thinking about quitting brawl and decided to give it one last chance. But apparently the community is too full of fucktarded ********s like you.

I'm done.

Here's a little gift for you cunts

bobson

Smash Lord
It's common courtesy to upload your spam images to Imageshack rather than just hotlink them, you know.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
@FMOI & da KID:
So, okay... Let me get this straight.

You want the SBR to include things like casual item play without timer on New Pork City into their tier list, character ranking and ruleset?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

The problem is again, comparing tournaments with different rulesets is really comparing apples to oranges, they're just not the same. When you're talking about influence, their results should be COMPARED not ignored. Except online, because online is simply too inconsistent. I personally think that pretty much all Atlantic North tournaments shouldn't be tabulated with the rest of the tournaments because they ban infinites (except generally ICs), and that changes a lot of the match-ups a LOT.

So you see, there's a reason why we can't count them together, but we should be comparing them.

As far as you, your expirience doesn't really matter in terms of playing the game (cause online really changes things a lot, and very inconsistently) BUT your knowledge DOES.

But again, it's because we choose to abide by their ruleset. If everyone's like "screw this, I'm doing my own thing" SBR will be forced to ascent or it will die.

And it's true, when you talk about "influence" and then talk about sending the mob to somebody's house, you know you're using the wrong word.

Influence is ability to gain compliance by networks of power as opposed to direct force.

Power is ability to use either direct force or statutory power to gain compliance.

who suffers? that depends

If you dont show up to a tourney, you are the one that loses out. if you are like m2k and you decide not to show up, which could possibly effectively lower the turnout for the tourney by half, than the TO loses out, its all based on how much pull you have.

yes some times deviations work, but other times you have gauntlet type stuff that happens, where you only get like 17 people to show for a tourney that would have had 30-50 people otherwise
Every single person who doesn't show hurts the TO's bottom line.

Some people hurt more then others, but everyone does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom