• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR official stance on Metaknight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

'V'

Smash Lord
more people play brawl because it's newer and is just more profitable, but melee gameplay is obviously more exciting and it's a million times better to watch, watching brawl is kind of...stupid really, it's good for educational purposes only, never entertainment.
This.

Though people are entitled to their own opinions. Brawl has its points that people do like about it. I'm a hardcore spectator, so I've actually seen some exciting things in Brawl, at least when both sides aren't trying to outcamp each other for 3 minutes.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
there ARE those few who enjoy really gay camping in tournament

usually very cynical ahahaha

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
This may not seem related, but is there a list of those with access to the SBR, the broomers? I'm interested in who those are and what their mains are. And no, I'm not making an accusation. I'm honestly just interested.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
Were your feelings hurt because I suggested that being good at the game counts? :psycho:
How could you do such a thing! He was just a poor scrub. You should be ashamed of hurting a bad player's feelings.

Snorunt does not approve.

Kwyjibo

Smash Rookie
Personally, I'm against banning any character in any fighting game. Every fighting game will have a best character. In Brawl, that character is Meta Knight. The correct thing to do isn't to ban that best character. The right thing to do is to find a way to beat it. Meta Knight may be good, but he's far from unbeatable. When there's something you personally can't beat, the right thing to do is to get better. If you don't like people who use Meta Knight, instead of asking for him to be banned, you should instead keep practicing so you can become a good enough player to beat Meta Knight.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You do realize that anti ban refuted alot of what was in the OP which had many errors and false truths, but noone answered most of our posts. Pro ban named tons of "theorically" broken stuff which was also full of errors.

You dont prove that something is broken in "theory", because that is implying that although it is not broken right now, it will be broken in the future. This is not why we ban characters. We ban characters because they force overcentralization. MK doesn't do this.

Comparing to other fighters is relevent as it allows us to compare our ban criteria to see if it makes sense, although it is not the end of it all argument. Counterpicking characters still exist in other fighting games. We also used the example of super smash bros 64, but then pro ban dismissed it cause it was too "different", once again. Pro ban has been avoiding avarice's, Spadefox and my argument for very long, yes their OP may "seem" better, but it was full of flaws.
Theory must be supported by fact, of course, but it's ultimately the attributes which define what is and what isn't banworthy.

If a character is overcentralizing due to simple popularity, it's not banworthy, only when fact and theory are unified do we know that a character is truly banworthy.

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
How could you do such a thing! He was just a poor scrub. You should be ashamed of hurting a bad player's feelings.

Snorunt does not approve.
I am not scrub. I am da man that believe in theory as much as practice, because in future, they wil merge to a point when MK will be banned/SSB4 will be released. They are only half-merged at this point, but banning MK/hacking/playing SSBM is only way how to keep this game playable in future. I hope ya got it.
And I think first 2 options are better than 3rd.
And you show no regard to counterpick system. He was my childhood hero.

Personally, I'm against banning any character in any fighting game. Every fighting game will have a best character. In Brawl, that character is Meta Knight. The correct thing to do isn't to ban that best character. The right thing to do is to find a way to beat it. Meta Knight may be good, but he's far from unbeatable. When there's something you personally can't beat, the right thing to do is to get better. If you don't like people who use Meta Knight, instead of asking for him to be banned, you should instead keep practicing so you can become a good enough player to beat Meta Knight.
That would make me laugh if I wouldn´t hear that ******scrubby nonsense all over this place. MK isn´t only CHARACTER, CPU that you can find safe strategy to beat it. It is a player as well, and guess what, he CAN GET BETTER AS WELL. And with BETTER CHARACTER. And guess what, he will beat you thanks to him using better character. It isn´t like MK has any weakness. When there is someone you CAN beat, when he don´t have MK and can´t beat when he does, right thing to do isn´t to get better, but to pick better option on character selection screen, period.
difference between banning and not banning metaknight is 16 characters. Think whether it is worth it or not.

Browny

Smash Hater
Also, I am lol'ing at people who used to argue that their character used to go even with MK, all you had to do was 'learn the matchup'

and then MK mainers learned the matchup in reverse. owned

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
Also, I am lol'ing at people who used to argue that their character used to go even with MK, all you had to do was 'learn the matchup'

and then MK mainers learned the matchup in reverse. owned
Right. I don´t like ****** that say "lrnMU" when MK can do say.. They pretend MKs are bad, what is wrong.. :/

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Re: Counterpick system - Characters like DDD ensure that the need for counter picking exists for characters that get infinited by him. In fact, DDD probably makes more low tier characters inviable than MK does.

Re: Camping and running away like a stooge. I was at a SF4 tournament in OK a couple of months ago, and since I'm posting on Smash Boards, obviously said tournament had Brawl as well. I got to witness a Wario live up to 150 percents... After he took off a stock on MK and was whittling away at MK while at high percents. It was a pretty hilarious match because of how the Wario player acted.

Re: Items in Brawl. Please, yes. I can understand the argument against items in Melee, because items were clearly imbalanced and lame and even attempting to tame them resulted in BS instakill stuff, but Brawl took measures to actually give players some items worth leaving on as well as the option to turn off instakill capsules. Maybe there's some luck involved that nobody likes, but I don't think it's enough luck to outweigh the extra layer of strategy that would be added as a benefit.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Re: Items in Brawl. Please, yes. I can understand the argument against items in Melee, because items were clearly imbalanced and lame and even attempting to tame them resulted in BS instakill stuff, but Brawl took measures to actually give players some items worth leaving on as well as the option to turn off instakill capsules. Maybe there's some luck involved that nobody likes, but I don't think it's enough luck to outweigh the extra layer of strategy that would be added as a benefit.
Items don't add an extra layer of strategy, they make the game even more shallow(who'd have thought this was possible in brawl...) because standard methods of fighting are strictly inferior to "run away and get items first".

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Re: Camping and running away like a stooge. I was at a SF4 tournament in OK a couple of months ago, and since I'm posting on Smash Boards, obviously said tournament had Brawl as well. I got to witness a Wario live up to 150 percents... After he took off a stock on MK and was whittling away at MK while at high percents. It was a pretty hilarious match because of how the Wario player acted.

These two compliment each other greatly if you think about it. Run + look around for the best items = big advantage.

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
Re: Counterpick system - Characters like DDD ensure that the need for counter picking exists for characters that get infinited by him. In fact, DDD probably makes more low tier characters inviable than MK does.
Who cares about low tier? Even though I main bottom tier myslef, I don´t think it is important whether they make low or even mid tier or maybe even high tier unviable. It is important whether they make TOP tiers inviable, which MK with his matchups practially does.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Who cares about low tier? Even though I main bottom tier myslef, I don´t think it is important whether they make low or even mid tier or maybe even high tier unviable. It is important whether they make TOP tiers inviable, which MK with his matchups practially does.
best characters in the game vs MK IMO

Snake 45:55, some think it's closer to 40:60 but not quite there
Wario 45:55/40:60
Ice Climbers 45:55, some say even
Diddy Kong 45:55, some say even

Falco 45:55 or 40:60
DDD 45:55 or 40:60
Marth 35:65
Olimar 40:60
Pikachu 40:60
ROB 35:65
Lucario 45:55
Game and Watch 40:60

Kirby 40:60
ZSS 40:60
Pit 35:65
TL 35:65
DK 40:60 or 35:65

that's not exactly unviable until you get pretty far down the list, marth and ROB are the only really good characters that get ***** by MK

Broly

Smash Lord
yea back in melee, shiek had a 7-3 on marth yet he was higher than her on the tier list. he can beat her with gimps and aerial combos. can meta knight really lose consistently to R.O.B or Marth? no

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
yea back in melee, shiek had a 7-3 on marth yet he was higher than her on the tier list. he can beat her with gimps and aerial combos. can meta knight really lose consistently to R.O.B or Marth? no
7-3?
What the **** is juice?
She didn't go 7-3 against Marth.
jesus a hard counter would have dropped marth down,.

It was 6-4 or was it 55:45?

Remember the triangle?
marth beats spacies, spacies beat sheik, sheik beats marth.

Broly

Smash Lord
last i heard shie was A counter to marth. puff loses to fox 2-8 or 3-7 and we all saw mango 4 stock m2k. back then, characters can still win thru skill. mk doesnt have too many flaws where that can happen.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I will never forgive Brawl's removal of the Red Shell :mad:
gtfo
red shell was crap. How you gonna hurt me and all I did was throw you?

toss that mofo off the stage. :mad:

last i heard shie was A counter to marth. puff loses to fox 2-8 or 3-7 and we all saw mango 4 stock m2k. back then, characters can still win thru skill. mk doesnt have too many flaws where that can happen.
shhhh... you gonna get the anti-banners mad and they gonna say that MK clearly has exploitable weaknesses.

etecoon

Smash Hero
can meta knight really lose consistently to R.O.B or Marth? no
yes, yes he can. both characters have a lot of unique tools that allow them a chance, yes an equally skilled/experienced MK will win, but that's not to say that a ROB/Marth can't win simply by being the better player.

Broly

Smash Lord
maybe marth, but rob? hell no, hes too slow in the air. mk will out prioritize all his aerials and can gimp him w/ the right edgeguard.

MK has VERY little weaknesses. his moves have little to no lag. his f-air is a better spacing tool than marths f-air. its ******** to think he can be exploited by the cast that ''go even with him''.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Theory must be supported by fact, of course, but it's ultimately the attributes which define what is and what isn't banworthy.

If a character is overcentralizing due to simple popularity, it's not banworthy, only when fact and theory are unified do we know that a character is truly banworthy.
Yes, but first you need overcentralization to happen and THEN evaluate if something is broken due to forced overcentralization or if its just bandwaggon effect by checking its attributes, not the other way around.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
overcentralization did happen. it was curbed with "banned MK" tourneys.

Broly

Smash Lord
1 guy does not fix things. fox/shiek were always top of the melee tier list in their eras, but ken a MARTH player was winning the big ones. one guy doesnt change the fact that mk is broken

etecoon

Smash Hero
MK has VERY little weaknesses. his moves have little to no lag. his f-air is a better spacing tool than marths f-air. its ******** to think he can be exploited by the cast that ''go even with him''.
his moves all have lag, many are very low lag, some are absurdly low lag(glide attack mostly), but none of them are "no lag". I think that is debatable, marth's has more range and he has better air movement, but MK's is multihit which protects him from a lot of power shielding.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
his moves all have lag, many are very low lag, some are absurdly low lag(glide attack mostly), but none of them are "no lag". I think that is debatable, marth's has more range and he has better air movement, but MK's is multihit which protects him from a lot of power shielding.
Wrong much? Marth has less range than MK EVERYWHERE. I think Tipper Fsmash is the only place that he has more range, and I'm not even sure about that.

And glide attack is literally lagless. It autocancels.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Wrong much? Marth has less range than MK EVERYWHERE. I think Tipper Fsmash is the only place that he has more range, and I'm not even sure about that.

And glide attack is literally lagless. It autocancels.
marth's fair outranges MK's by a pretty obvious amount. MK mostly outranges marth on the ground with tilts...and SB has more range than fsmash, you don't even know marth's range compared against his own moveset why are you bothering to compare it to anyone elses? true though that marth's range is often in unsafe moves like these.

glide attack has 2 or 4 frames of landing lag

Broly

Smash Lord
you try punish an mk after he charges f-smash. it goes directly into a d-smash. or try punishing a shuttle loop from below a stage and as he lands on stage, he can loop again. even fully blocking a tornado does not guarantee punishment. THATS ********

etecoon

Smash Hero
you try punish an mk after he charges f-smash.
I've never had a huge issue with this, it leaves MK open for 12 frames, 5 on shield drop, which would be 9 or 10 if he goes right to dsmash as you say, plenty of time for me to shield > ftilt for 21% : ) if he shields then there is literally no margin for error, but then he has to guess what you're doing, which doesn't break the normal play of the game at all...

and that's to say nothing of power shielding.

or try punishing a shuttle loop from below a stage and as he lands on stage, he can loop again. even fully blocking a tornado does not guarantee punishment. THATS ********
below stage SL can be punished if you space yourself outside of its hitbox pretty easily, you don't have to wait for him to hit the ground before you start, and if you have a good power move that has the range it's a bad option for him if you cover it. tornado is safe situationally if he runs to SV's moving platform or to any platform if you're a character with bad mobility, but if he sits right on top of you with it? that's not safe.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
marth's fair outranges MK's by a pretty obvious amount. MK mostly outranges marth on the ground with tilts...and SB has more range than fsmash, you don't even know marth's range compared against his own moveset why are you bothering to compare it to anyone elses? true though that marth's range is often in unsafe moves like these.

glide attack has 2 or 4 frames of landing lag
Marths Fair>MKs yes, but it doesn't matter, because Mk's tilts outrange Snakes tilts, and marth loses to snake on range, so how is this valid? Mk completley outranges marth on the ground, so why leave the ground? Marth wouldn't have a problem with Mk if he didn't get outranged in the most basic level.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Marths Fair>MKs yes, but it doesn't matter, because Mk's tilts outrange Snakes tilts, and marth loses to snake on range, so how is this valid? Mk completley outranges marth on the ground, so why leave the ground? Marth wouldn't have a problem with Mk if he didn't get outranged in the most basic level.
marth loses to snake because of his survivability/power output and camping more than his tilt range, snake has mediocre air defense and doesn't have much other than retreating against a marth that spaces perfectly, and he only barely loses to snake.

yeah, MK's tilts outrange fair horizontally, guess I should just use dtilt a lot next time marth approaches me with fair. and again you're wrong, marth's matchup with MK would be pretty decent if tornado didn't destroy his spacing game, MK's tilts don't completely shut down marth's zoning, tornado does.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
marth loses to snake because of his survivability/power output and camping more than his tilt range, snake has mediocre air defense and doesn't have much other than retreating against a marth that spaces perfectly, and he only barely loses to snake.
What? Yes, Snakes survivablilty is a problem, but Marth can beat people with great survivability by spacing so well that he doesn't get hit. The range is the problem, because he can obsolete most of the cast via range/mobility. Who are the three characters he loses to? MK snake d3. What do they all have in common? range.

yeah, MK's tilts outrange fair horizontally, guess I should just use dtilt a lot next time marth approaches me with fair. and again you're wrong, marth's matchup with MK would be pretty decent if tornado didn't destroy his spacing game, MK's tilts don't completely shut down marth's zoning, tornado does.
Upb the tornado anytime soon? Tornado is a horrible approach, and it can be upbed out of. It has too much startup time to be used as a counter. As long as the marth does more than retreating Fair, the nado isn't that much of an issue. Yes, it beats his aerials, but that isn't all marth does.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
ok ur right tornado is awful against marth, thanks for educating me.
Plaese don't insult me like that. I'm noit saying it's horrible against him, I'm saying that it's far from the be all end all against him. He loses to people who can punish his poking game, ALA MK,, Snake, D3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom