• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The San Antonio Brawl Thread: Steakfest 3, 7/31, see 1st post, new annoucements!

What night would you like Gamelot's weekly gaming fests to be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Let's make sure we know what's going on, Greyfox.

Remember, it's JUJ, Greyfox, Me, Nike, Prime, Tofer, and Castro.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting someone.

Do we have the transportation needed for this? What about housing?

Nike.

Smash Hero
I wish JUJ posted more :( He's driving greyfox said.

Nike Car
JUJ Car

and everyone rides like that. And if that's happening, I could take a tv so that we have an extra setup in the hotel.

JUJ also is planning the hotel stuff.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Ok so I'll try to piece it together for everyone to get.

Ok as far as who is driving is as follows:

JUJ
G-Fox
Nike (in reserve)

Those that are going are as follows:

JUJ
G-Fox
Nike
Espy
K Prime
Tofer
MorningStar

Castro

[Red still needs to pay me]

Thursday is a smashfest at JUJ's the night before we leave.

So the plan is that we leave Friday morning get there with enough time before pools. Personally I think we need to leave Thursday night to get there sooner.

JUJ is getting 2 rooms for SA and Austin to split. I still need to find out the rates from him but I think he is going to let us know that day.

More info or questions about WHOBO, Get @ meh.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Hey guys Pik A Nik Feast this friday!! My house, bring TV's and wii's+Brawl please :3

Address

506 Bertetti Dr 78227
210-326-4310 call me if you need help with the directions.
True, what time would it start? I might not be able to make it, car and family Johns.
No car to drive until 6PM ... Can't stay late because I'm leaving out of town Saturday morning.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
So yeah...

SA tournaments should have top 5 payouts (48/22/14/8/4/4), redemption tournaments, and one other crazy event per tournament.

And Pools, yes, even if it's just ~20 people!

=====

I don't know when, but when I DO do Steakfest 3, you can expect those things.

Singles Pools, Redemption, Top 5 places payout, and maybe something else that I'll think of.

EDIT: Suspect's a monster, because now I've re-fallen in love with Vertigo.

Suspect

Smash Hero
I knew you would like that.

But redemption tournies are dumb, all it does is make ONE scrub feel happy.

Teams or RC or Mid tier :D

/im drunk

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I knew you would like that.

But redemption tournies are dumb, all it does is make ONE scrub feel happy.

Teams or RC or Mid tier :D
Redemption got nothing but positive feedback. Doubt they're, by our player's standards, dumb. Most people enjoyed it.

San Antonio rarely manages teams (didn't do it at Nikefest because only 2-3 people were interested in teams), not enough of us play anything below Mid Tier (Castro, Greyfox, and Espy), and there was clearly no interest in RCRS (since no one mentioned it at all).

@Nike: Most people enjoy pools, especially those who get knocked out early. More games for their tournament dollars.

Paw

Smash Ace
NNID
pawzor
Redemption

Same rules as singles. Everyone who places below 9th in singles bracket is placed into their own tournament. In this tournament, the winner gets their entry fee back. 2nd and 3rd get nothing

i play mid tier too :D

Gnw is almost mid tier too

Nike.

Smash Hero
Actually, we included the four 9th place spots at nikefest. It made the 16man bracket with only 3 byes (which we gave to three of the four 9th place seeds)

It serves no purpose whatsoever to the top 8/16/whatever the cutoff is. But it gives the lower skilled players a chance to experience making it far in a bracket.

We got brawl singles and repenption both to winners finals and losers semis. Switching both of them back and forth, the redemption matches got as much hype as the normal bracket. It's the same setting basically, and it's great that the lower half gets a chance to experience that. Ask Zook, an entire room cheered him on against Greyfox's falco. Castro got to watch his padawans play very serious sets and coach them.

And like Espy said, SA doesnt care about dubs, low tier, and Prime usually discourages RC. Redemption gives everyone not on our PR the same intensity of a tourney.

Redemption was brilliant. There are too many reasons why it was a great idea for Nikefest. The lower half gets to play seriously against each other without getting knocked out by the top 8, they get more matches for their money, they get to find rivals and learn more about tournament play without just getting a spanking, and EVERYONE enjoyed watching those matches. I think it is the perfect thing for San Antonio, and will ultimately bring our lower half to a much higher level.

Someone tell me more about what to expect at WHOBO.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Actually, we included the four 9th place spots at nikefest. It made the 16man bracket with only 3 byes (which we gave to three of the four 9th place seeds)

It serves no purpose whatsoever to the top 8/16/whatever the cutoff is. But it gives the lower skilled players a chance to experience making it far in a bracket.

We got brawl singles and repenption both to winners finals and losers semis. Switching both of them back and forth, the redemption matches got as much hype as the normal bracket. It's the same setting basically, and it's great that the lower half gets a chance to experience that. Ask Zook, an entire room cheered him on against Greyfox's falco. Castro got to watch his padawans play very serious sets and coach them.

And like Espy said, SA doesnt care about dubs, low tier, and Prime usually discourages RC. Redemption gives everyone not on our PR the same intensity of a tourney.
Redemption was brilliant. There are too many reasons why it was a great idea for Nikefest. The lower half gets to play seriously against each other without getting knocked out by the top 8, they get more matches for their money, they get to find rivals and learn more about tournament play without just getting a spanking, and EVERYONE enjoyed watching those matches. I think it is the perfect thing for San Antonio, and will ultimately bring our lower half to a much higher level.
At first it sounded silly, but considering how other sides events fair in San Antonio, I like it a lot. I've seen similar types of events in other tournaments, usually refereed to as amateur or semi pro events.

However, calling it a redemption tournament gives it a unique feeling. It's a good buzzword. However, it would seem limited to the size of the tournament being run and the places paid out. Nike did mention switching back and forth.

Of course, there's the loser's bracket. That's where your redemption is supposed to be already.

Good idea, but time is an issue. For San Antonio, it's just fine. For other places in Texas, like Houston running an average of 3 or 4 tournaments per HOBO, it probably wouldn't fly.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
The redemption tournament was a great idea. It was almost like a tourny for those who are almost on the same skill level, and for those who have to fight Espy in their second round T_T
stupid St. Phillips

But, seeing redemption also makes it worth spending the money for the tournament. And being glad that you're not going to be knocked out in the beginning and not play again for the rest of the night.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
The redemption tournament was a great idea. It was almost like a tourny for those who are almost on the same skill level, and for those who have to fight Espy in their second round T_T
stupid St. Phillips

But, seeing redemption also makes it worth spending the money for the tournament. And being glad that you're not going to be knocked out in the beginning and not play again for the rest of the night.
Mizuumi, First round: Espy
No need for me to say what SA has already said about Redemption.
Most matches then going to all three matches was pretty satisfying as well.
Though if it weren't for hype (and JoWii) I would've been dead tired switching between tourney finals and redemption finals. Should it be kept that way?
Then again...

The chance to experience that same feeling, yeah sounds about right.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
At first it sounded silly, but considering how other sides events fair in San Antonio, I like it a lot. I've seen similar types of events in other tournaments, usually refereed to as amateur or semi pro events.

However, calling it a redemption tournament gives it a unique feeling. It's a good buzzword. However, it would seem limited to the size of the tournament being run and the places paid out. Nike did mention switching back and forth.

Of course, there's the loser's bracket. That's where your redemption is supposed to be already.

Good idea, but time is an issue. For San Antonio, it's just fine. For other places in Texas, like Houston running an average of 3 or 4 tournaments per HOBO, it probably wouldn't fly.
Agreed.

It's as Nike said:

San Antonio runs singles, but we're always at a loss for a side event that keeps people coming back. RCRS has been running around, but we've almost never had a good teams event, low tier event, etc.

And I wouldn't say that Prime buzz kills the RCRS, really. >_>

This is, of course, not including the Final Smash and Gamelot Monthlies that we had for most of 2008-2009.

And the number of entrants to a specific tournament, I would think, should dictate the cutoff point for a Redemption Tournament, if any take place. Again, regurgitating what Nike already said, we only allowed the 9th place players into the Redemption because it came the closest to filling out the 16 Man bracket, and with seeding, gave us a pretty evened out bracket.

I enjoyed watching pretty much all of the matches in Nikefest, and for smaller, San Antonio (+Austin) events like S.L.U.T., Nikefest, Steakfest, and whatever JUJ is scheming, I'd think it beneficial to our community if we continued with the Redemption events.

Give 'em what they love, right?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Stitch is always happy. He's the best Disney character ever, after all.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Reverse main tournament?

Secondary tournament?

Item Standard Play tournament?

MELEE!

come on, redemption is only good/made for big tournies, it was made for people who didn't get out of pools. If you don't believe me go ask plank.

edit: and it's not even a tourny ALL the players can do, If you have a redemption tourny at least have something for the players that are just sitting there.

oh yea last thing >_>

Middle
C :pit: :toonlink: :zerosuitsamus: :kirby2: :rob:
D :dk2: :peach: :fox: :luigi2: :wolf:
E :shiek: :pt: :sonic: :ness2: :bowser2:

That's mid tier, I see characters that I use(kekeke) Espy-Sonic, Kprime-Ness, Mstar-DK, Paw-ZSS, Zigsta-PT, Nike-Toon Link (what he told me on aim) Greywolf-wolf and Castro and Tofer-Peach

And if you wanted to inlcude low tier with that, we would have even more players/selection

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
LOL @ Sus.

When have you ever seen SA excited to see/play in those tourneys. Granted we never played/tried any of the other tourneys but for SA redemption/semi-pro/amateur is just fine.

Honestly its actually better for SA. =/

Paw

Smash Ace
NNID
pawzor
redemption should be going on while regular tournament is still going on, and should finish at the same time.

i guess if there was more time left, there could be another side event.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
It gives a better perspective of who the next good or upcoming players are. Granted it doesn't help top players like Espy, Prime, MorningStar, Nike, JUJ, Castro, and few others including Austin, but they can see how much they are improving thus giving them tips on what they are doing wrong and the like.

Point being it doesn't help top players but it keeps the other players from just leaving just cause they lost out of the main tourney. Plus the hype for it can still be there for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom