• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The San Antonio Brawl Thread: Steakfest 3, 7/31, see 1st post, new annoucements!

What night would you like Gamelot's weekly gaming fests to be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Lol, goto SWAT instead Broly.

That is where SA is going and I believe Santi is still housing, I'm not sure.

Santi

Smash Lord
You guys won't really need money for food.
I'm gonna charge a 2$ venue fee and use that to buy snacks/sodas/ possibly pizza
PLus Dojo's mom is cooking LUNCH for everyone on the 23rd. I know this was kind of like a surprise but I'm gonna tell yall :)
She has bought several briskets and a bunch of other stuff and will be cooking for everyone.

When people are ready for lunch we are gonna put the tourney on hold for a little bit and san angelo will drive everyone to Dojo's house to eat. (85 second drive)

edit: i like the van idea :)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Santi, why are you and Dojo so **** awesome?

It's like a BBQ/Smashfest.

It makes me sad that I'm gonna have to destroy you in tournament... :p

Santi

Smash Lord
Santi, why are you and Dojo so **** awesome?

It's like a BBQ/Smashfest.

It makes me sad that I'm gonna have to destroy you in tournament... :p
We just are and we want everyone to have a good time :)
it is like a super BBQ/sexy smashfest :)

Lol. you probably willl destroy me.
in low tier

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
You guys won't really need money for food.
I'm gonna charge a 2$ venue fee and use that to buy snacks/sodas/ possibly pizza
PLus Dojo's mom is cooking LUNCH for everyone on the 23rd. I know this was kind of like a surprise but I'm gonna tell yall :)
She has bought several briskets and a bunch of other stuff and will be cooking for everyone.

When people are ready for lunch we are gonna put the tourney on hold for a little bit and san angelo will drive everyone to Dojo's house to eat. (85 second drive)

edit: i like the van idea :)
That right there is why San Angelo win at everything.

Anyways yea we gonna do the van thing. Though I'm gonna suck *** cause I'm getting enough practice. Ohwell.

Wealth and Glory to the Winner

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
That right there is why San Angelo win at everything.

Anyways yea we gonna do the van thing. Though I'm gonna suck *** cause I'm getting enough practice. Ohwell.

Wealth and Glory to the Winner
Van thing is official? Since there's gonna be a BBQ Santi is right there probably isn't any need to worry about food.

****, a BBQ/smashfest/tourney.

This sounds too good.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my friend Travis is off on Mondays, has his own apartment, and is looking to get better in Brawl, particularly as Fox, Pit, and Squirtle.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'll try getting there as well, KM.

Oh, and if we are indeed doing the van thing, we have at most 8 slots available this time. Greyfox, Prime, Tag, Kayloz, myself, Kyle (?), Morningstar (?), Ethan (?)

Was that good?

Try to fill all the slots before next weekend so we can do this thing. We have 13 days to figure out who else was gonna be able to go, so lets do this.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Looks like despite APEX's amazing (and atypical) results, the MK ban ball may be getting a bigger push, and we quite frankly need to decide what we are going to do as a city.

2/3 major tournaments have been finished. MK flat out dominated one, MK tied for the most used character in the top 8 in the other. Some are calling APEX proof that MK doesn't need to be banned. I call it an anomaly, and not the rule.

Louisiana is very seriously considering banning MK. Xyro has already said he will ban MK at all of his tournaments if this happens. Florida would apparently likely follow suit if Texas + Louisiana banned MK as they are also discussing it seriously.

However, Xyro =/= All of Texas. San Antonio also hosts large tournaments. Not as often as Xyro does, but it still counts. Final Smashes attract 100+ players, and that is something we can not ignore. We do need to decide what we are going to do.

I for one believe we should ban MK. For one thing, almost nobody locally plays MK. It wouldn't affect us much, if at all, during our local tournaments. That is an aspect holding back some cities, but not us. Secondly, if Xyro does ban MK, it would be wise for us to follow suit. Like it or not, he hosts most of the big tournaments, other cities in Texas focus on HOBOs a lot, and expect other large tournaments in Texas to play similarly. During HOBO 16, Praxis from the East Coast came down to play. Why? MK was banned. A guy from Colorado was going to come but he got too sick. Banning MK will not affect our Final Smashes negatively, HOBO 16 proved it. And form what I've heard people found it more fun. Finally, I think it would be funny to beat Xyro to banning MK. XD.

What are your guys' opinions on this matter?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
So, were we gonna go to Travis' house today?
Just making sure I'm not the only one going.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I for one careless about the meta-ban. However, Tourneys run alot better without him cause people goto those more. Other characters need to step up their meta-game and the meta-ban can do that.

@Jack: You are on my Brawlers group list and I forgot to take you out cause I knew you werent going.

@Broly: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229848

Nike.

Smash Hero
Since DMK dissapeared, the only metas in SA are Ethan and (forgets name) Eddies friend. So a ban is basically only affecting them.

SA just isnt one of those cities that has to worry about this problem.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Since DMK dissapeared, the only metas in SA are Ethan and (forgets name) Eddies friend. So a ban is basically only affecting them.

SA just isnt one of those cities that has to worry about this problem.
Ah, but due to Final Smash, we must worry about it. What we decide obviously affects those tournaments. And those tournaments ain't exactly small and unknown outside of SA.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
>_>

I still say SA should ban MK.

In other news: I looked up my username on youtube, found out that all the way back in june some guy from gamefaqs filmed himself beating me over wifi, and bragged that he did so, and then claimed he wasn't lagging. I know I sucked back then, but I know for a fact I never thought charging up Eruption in the middle of smashville was a good edgeguarding technique.

Stupid idiot. I don't care if it was nearly a year ago, I want to punch idiots like him in the face. And then curb stomp them. If you're going to film, lie, and brag, at least have the flipping balls to tell the other guy.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
>_>

I still say SA should ban MK.
How ironic!

Starting in july,Houston Tx is banning metaknight. This means all future hobos will have metaknight banned. Louisiana/New Mexico already have him banned. Oklahoma is considering it. I ask that my fellow smashers in san antonio ban him as well. You can join or or you choose not to. My choice is 100% final.

A storm is coming.............

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I'm going to go with what M2K said in the Apex results.....

OMG guys I did not sandbag

I had every intention of winning

I wanted to win for myself and for USA; I have wayyyyyyyyy too much pride to purposely lose the set at such a great opportunity to win. I am really competitive and I'm not going to purposely lose at a great opportunity to slightly sway a stupid metaknight argument give me a break

I was upset that I lost but not very upset about it because of the way I lost - by someone using skill (also I like Ally so it was no big deal to me ... but that certainly DOESN'T MEAN that I didn't REALLY WANT TO WIN)

and I did ask Ally if he wanted to split and he said no. I didn't really care either way though; in fact I'm kind of GLAD he said no because I wanted that epic, extremely fun fight and can't wait to do more of them in the future because that was the most fun I ever had in Brawl in my life, comparable to me vs Shiz from Revival.

(btw this is unrelated, but we split top 3 in Melee after I 3-0d Kage cuz I went upstairs and got drunk and then was too drunk to play Melee. I did manage to beat Chu in a Fox vs ICs money match in Melee tho and I beat Jman 3-1 and 3-0 in Marth vs Fox money matches. They were all really fun.)

that's why I love how this game is going after Apex. It's starting to be really fun

also ICs infinites should not be banned either altho I do think it's very cheap. That is the reason ICs are good and it takes practice to do, so banning that is like... you might as well just ban ICs. The first 2 matches that I lost in the first set... the first one was LAST HIT (like one down smash or w/e from winning I believe) while the last game was like last stock mid %. All 3 games I won in losers were last stock, and first one was last hit. The difference wasn't actually that big at all, it was just barely enough in my favor, and I was camping as hard as I Could. The only thing I think should be banned are stupid stages where luck is involved or random factors or extreme camping are involved, but honestly I don't care much either way. I'm really tired of having everything being banned it's stupid just play the game and try to win.

In crews the last day, Judge lost to Meeps ICs in crews when Judge had 3 stocks and Meep had 2, Meep won by 1 stock 50%. Not only that, Meep messed up the chain grab like 4 or 5 times, so it could have been worse if he mastered the CG better like Lain did. It was on FD, but the point is that ICs are an extremely good character. I honestly do not think I could beat Lain if he mastered that BLIZZARD WALL Thing where he makes one IC jump then the other do it and the other to make a huge blizzard wall. Once he masters ICs even more idk if I can beat him.

Ally I had every intention of winning against and I tried my hardest, but I got about like 20 IMs about Apex asking me if I sandbagged. I would not sandbag, I really really really wanted to win and Snake is also my most practiced matchup by far (computer practice). Maybe I wasn't playing my very best but I was playing at - LEAST - average, I was warmed up, and he just went super beast mode and I wish he would do that more often (he was way harder than at CoT4 because he fixed his habits, such as his air dodge habit and has more mix ups with DI now too).

Dojo I think got 2-0d by Candy in a money match, and lost to Candy 2-1 in tourney bracket (and the match Dojo won was last stock 120+ I heard). Because of Candy vs Dojo and me vs Ally, I changed my mind about Snake vs MK matchup and Snake in general. I think the matchup is dead even now, just like Marth vs Fox in Melee. Bout time the Snakes caught up to the MKs. ICs vs MK also feels very even.

edit - I'm better at being aggressive than defensive now - before Apex I practiced aggressive Metaknight a lot because being aggressive is really useful in teams and it's also way more fun. I tried to make that my style and I don't think I could go back to that camping vs a lot of characters anyway. Snake outcamps Metaknight by far guys - he has projectiles and Ally is MAD good with explosives. All that waiting around does is risk me getting hit while there's no risk of him getting hit, as well as giving him more times to set traps. I don't think a defensive style vs Snake is even good at all honestly.

edit again - I trained Ksizl a few days before Apex for FIVE HOURS AT MY HOUSE since he was willing to take public transportation down here. He wanted to improve really badly, and he told me it took like 4 hours to get here even though it's only an hour and a half drive if he woulda got a ride (idk why it took that long, I'm just telling you what he told me). I also taught him Atomsk's weakness vs Tornado - that once you move away from him he thinks you are retreating for good - and then you can hit him with the very end of the tornado. Ksizl said my advice helped a lot to make him do as good as he did, as well as helping vs other people. 5 hours of MK dittoing me and listening to my advice I guess helps a lot (also their set was 2-1). Atomsk took me to last stock 60% with DDD and I'm good vs DDD. I don't think that matchup is that bad anymore either, but MK definitely has the clear advantage in it.

By the way, MKs down throw isn't even that good vs Snake. At Cat 4 and CoT4, Ally always DId my down throws up and towards me and air dodged soon after, but never fast enough to air dodge my Uair (I don't know why, but you can immediately air dodge it and be safe from the Uair or Fair if you know MK will do that). He kept DIing away, and he also did a lot less air dodges and reacted to down throw really well every time. I was always able to easily get him into the air and juggle him with Uairs, while this time he did not allow that to be possible. Snake easily beats MK on the ground, while MK has the advantage in the air, but Snake has a lot more options in the air than most people think. Bairs, Nairs, Fairs are good too if you use it smart, Dairs can be good because it starts fast so you can use it when you are being juggled by MKs Uair, and B pivoting and holding nades are good too. Random fast falls or not fast falling can be good mix ups as well (and if you saved your double jump, you can DJ then C4). I am convinced that the odds of hitting MK out of down throw are greater than 50/50 after playing Afro thunder and Ally... I mixed it up randomly all the time and they got me like at least 2/3rds of the time x_x
I think this shows just how much of a difference there is between the east coast and Texas.

BTW my opinion on Dojo's performance at Apex: probably had to do with the territory and not having the home turf. Yes, I know he got fourth at COT4, but also note what happened at the end of that tournament. Top 20 or so played in a guy's apartment. Smaller atmosphere, less pressure. As far as I know that didn't happen at Apex.

Dojo's still good, just my guess on what affected his game.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I'm going to go with what M2K said in the Apex results.....

I think this shows just how much of a difference there is between the east coast and Texas.

BTW my opinion on Dojo's performance at Apex: probably had to do with the territory and not having the home turf. Yes, I know he got fourth at COT4, but also note what happened at the end of that tournament. Top 20 or so played in a guy's apartment. Smaller atmosphere, less pressure. As far as I know that didn't happen at Apex.

Dojo's still good, just my guess on what affected his game.

the IC ICG ban has been removed since world hobo . i dont know if you ever had them on.

and no johns for dojo. He got beat and he will learn from it.

Suspect

Smash Hero
Pervert....
no u
.....o.o

Priii~iime, protect meee!!!

(Jk, <3 Suspect.)
:chuckle:

naw....but u better do good!

EDIT:

As far as the MK ban go, i dont even really care now cause stong chance i wont be here. The area i should be headed to there are few mks (i heard) and they play the game like it was suppose to be played anyways. No campers, turtle-ers or spammers. Only mk i know in that area is bombsoldier

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Where's your avatar from? Looks like some manga worth reading....
Hehe, the Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories manga. It's Larxene, one of the Organization members.

Don't read the manga. Play the games -- they're INFINITELY better. The manga's actually pretty a**, but I read the series anyway because I'm obsessed with KH. And proud of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom