• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Samus Boards are at Peace | The Dead Social

i made this poll before polls were cool

• Total voters

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I prefer PS1 over PS2. I would have not liked either, but when I played against Xyro one time, I thought the stage wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Not to mention, the music is better.

I prefer PS1's transitions (yes, even the camptastic ones) and I prefer PS2's neutral setting. PS2's transitions.... oh dear.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Does anyone have any recording equipment? I recorded some matches yesterday vs a falco (grrrr), snake, and marth (grrrr some more). I don't have any recording equipment. I wanna upload it so I can get critique. There's a tourney comin up and I wanna build her up to tourney level.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Have you guys ever quit someone for a while, came back with that character in like, 2 months, and found yourself better than you left off? I did that with Lucas and i found myself 2 stocking a really good Marth that used to 3 stock me.

well im going to be picking up samus seriously now. i hope to get some vids for critique at some point
You have the chance to go back if you want. Welcome aboard if you're serious about her.

Have you guys ever quit someone for a while, came back with that character in like, 2 months, and found yourself better than you left off? I did that with Lucas and i found myself 2 stocking a really good Marth that used to 3 stock me.
Yes.

yes i have done that before. sometimes leaving allows you to forget old habits, and then when you come back you learn new better ones, etc
What he said.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
we shall see how long it lasts. im curious about using her in a specific matchup that would get me laughed out of here if i mentioned. however its equally as bad of a matchup for my main yet i feel so much more comfortable using samus in the matchup XD

You will not be laughed at for saying it. I at one point believed that we went even with MK (no joke).

You want to talk to NOID about it then. NOID literally lectured me for about 30-40 minutes on that match up. It was beautiful. He knows it well, hit him up on AIM.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Talking is one thing but actually DOING it is another. NO samus has consistently beaten a damn good olimar or marth

Neither have you. So be quiet servant and bring me some tea or I'll be forced to give you a first class whooping at WHOBO3.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
correct. marth boards show both matchups as the same, and all my research has shown a corrosponding similarity. you guys dont use numbers so it was a little harder but i still came to the same conclusion that i wasnt moving backwards. all thats different are different tools for each character

Hive

Smash Lord
Samus v Marth IS awful when the marth main knows the matchup decently. Samus will not be beating marths consistently in upper level play, marth has too much control over the matchup- good approach making gameplay close range, can break any combo and can usually up b samus out of her own moves for more damage, powerful out of grab combos, he has amazing antiledge game, way better kos, and can space samus too good. For the avg marth you will see, however, samus can do well, but when marth knows the matchup its just no contest imo.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Saying Samus won't be beating [blank] in high level play is a silly point because we're talking about Samus.

I feel like Samus has the tools to mess up Marth's spacing, and the tools to recover against marth if you're smart/creative. If Marth gets in, you're going to take damage, but it's not the end of the stock.
It's still not a good matchup but it's not Olimar awful.

Hive

Smash Lord
Saying samus can beat characters when they don't know the matchup is a silly point. :/ (as is any analysis where we compare good players to bad ones in order to determine which character is better imo).
When marths know the matchup they will win, but your right I don't think its as severe as, say, mk. Good marths will not be spaced out by samus or outdamaged, but against the avg tourney marth samus can gain some advantages through spacing, offledge and ledge play depending on what the player is weak at.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Depending on how many matches there are I'd be willing to record them for you.
Should be no more than 5, but I think it's around 3-4 matches: 1 vs marth, 1 vs snake, 1 vs falco, and 1 vs mk. I think those are the vids, but I'm not sure. I tried to get vids where I didn't do something blatantly stupid or SD haha. Is there a way to know what the most recent recordings correspond to the filename.bin? I saved some of my snake matches for the hell of it, but I don't wanna send you those by accident.

As for marth, my friend mains Falco and Snake. He's not really a marth main and since I play him a lot, he knows the general Samus playstyle. Needless to say, when he went marth against me, it was a pain. I feel like the only top tier that's bearable to play is snake due to his poor aerial mobility.

On another note, I finally know what NO-IDea meant by not continuously jump > zair at mid/tilt range. I would try to retreat zair only to grabbed before it came out.

Hive

Smash Lord
Samus won't be beating anybody with her current mindset. Believe that she won't anytime soon, but who knows really.
that's not fair :( just because you recognize her weaknesses in a matchup doesn't mean you shouldn't and can't try to push her potential. Being a samus main doesn't have to be about having an anime mentality that she can do anything if we just believe she can. One of the most important things for a samus main who is going into a tournament to understand (and one of the least mentioned) is how to deal with failure. There are so many times that you will be doing everything right and then you will just get counterpicked and killed by something totally ******** and skilless and have to stop playing in tournament, and its not fair. But dealing with that and understanding that is really important. I'm not saying you should assume ahead of a game that you will def lose or you should give up either, you should always try to win a match, but its about realistically considering her position in a matchup as to not underestimate your opponent, or get completely discouraged when things don't go how you envisioned them and be too hard on yourself over something small. Seeing weaknesses in a match and having realistic goals/mentality is actually helpful for confidence in the long run because you don't get discouraged when you can't realistically meet the matchup expectation you've set.

edit: (For example, at sacanime for my birthday this weekend I played in a brawl tourney and was doing really great for myself and even got to semifinals, but then ended up getting hit with mk and having to stop. That's discouraging, and you can't always have a "no johns" attitude and beat yourself up over it, sometimes you have to realize when you are limited in the type of control you can have in a match, especially for low tiers)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Every time I try/kept trying to think of a response, I got new ideas. My comment was not directed to anyone in particular, nor was I inferring that she will become better if had unwavering confidence and determination. I believe her potential still lies untapped, whether it's better or worse than she is now. I personally am not one who accepts limitations easily, and I realize many differ and could be a better player/w.e than me for that reason. I like to think of speed runs as an example(Metroid coincidentally being a popular subject to such playthroughs, but I digress) in that people are always exploring, doing whatever they can to get even a half a second off, or better. It may not be a significant contribution, but they can certainly add up over time. In short, I believe we have yet to have someone that shows off this full potential, someone who works past the weakness by learning and using her strong points to the max. Hate to make the comparison, but I think of what Taj did for Mewtwo. Not exactly expecting the same results or anything, would just like to see someone with that much passion and innovation and that is taller than any of us show what Samus is capable of. As Xyro said, talking about it is one thing, and this is why I believe that this won't happen this(relatively) early into Brawl.

It's hard enough work just to get by as Samus, so one could see that anyone trying to put that much work into Samus will take a while to show up. I really like the way you put it, that you can gain confidence from recognizing your character's flaws, and whoever doesn't do this will be the one that goes on to make or break the Spamus name. Through sweat and toil, fairness and utter bull****, recognition and hate, etc. This is all just what I think, I haven't even touched or seen Brawl for months(bro got me involved in a crazy get rich quick scheme with his friend), and am still trying to convince myself on a few things(if I should continue giving this much of a damn over a children's fightingparty game, that Samus is crap, whether or not I'm gonna get drunk on the bouncy house at some point today, if I should eat breakfast now, where I should lurk after this post and so on). Don't Z-air me bros.

tl;dr - Bump.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Every time I try/kept trying to think of a response, I got new ideas. My comment was not directed to anyone in particular, nor was I inferring that she will become better if had unwavering confidence and determination. I believe her potential still lies untapped, whether it's better or worse than she is now. I personally am not one who accepts limitations easily, and I realize many differ and could be a better player/w.e than me for that reason. I like to think of speed runs as an example(Metroid coincidentally being a popular subject to such playthroughs, but I digress) in that people are always exploring, doing whatever they can to get even a half a second off, or better. It may not be a significant contribution, but they can certainly add up over time. In short, I believe we have yet to have someone that shows off this full potential, someone who works past the weakness by learning and using her strong points to the max. Hate to make the comparison, but I think of what Taj did for Mewtwo. Not exactly expecting the same results or anything, would just like to see someone with that much passion and innovation and that is taller than any of us show what Samus is capable of. As Xyro said, talking about it is one thing, and this is why I believe that this won't happen this(relatively) early into Brawl.

It's hard enough work just to get by as Samus, so one could see that anyone trying to put that much work into Samus will take a while to show up. I really like the way you put it, that you can gain confidence from recognizing your character's flaws, and whoever doesn't do this will be the one that goes on to make or break the Spamus name. Through sweat and toil, fairness and utter bull****, recognition and hate, etc. This is all just what I think, I haven't even touched or seen Brawl for months(bro got me involved in a crazy get rich quick scheme with his friend), and am still trying to convince myself on a few things(if I should continue giving this much of a damn over a children's fightingparty game, that Samus is crap, whether or not I'm gonna get drunk on the bouncy house at some point today, if I should eat breakfast now, where I should lurk after this post and so on). Don't Z-air me bros.

tl;dr - Bump.

I understand you dont share our gloom and doom for samus but the facts are facts. Its been 2 years 10months and me/noid are the only Samus players to do "amazing" in tournament and when i say amazing i mean DECENT. There are plenty of other low tiers that have done better than us(boss/kirin/pinkfresh and a few others) and tbh thats pretty sad that the closest we get is 33rd at MLG dallas. I seriously work my *** off to do good but because brawl is seriously ******** and samus was built very badly i truly believe there is a roof( a short one). We can reach it but i think thats it after that. You can write and read noids stuff all day long but NO ONE(not even him) puts it into practice or else he/we would be doing amazing.

Also, please dont refer to melee when talking about brawl. Taj plays melee. We play brawl. HUGE difference. In melee you can win with 99% of the characters(cept pichu) if you are the smarter player. This cannont be done in brawl. So please dont look at melee and think "well if taj/neo/dire/germ can do it then so can i" because its simply not the case.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Okay going completely off topic here (sorry D: ). But have any of you seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87p53rAD7Sk
I've seen that before. It was, a tad disturbing. I looked at my cats afterward, then i left the room.

I love Samus :D I didn't want to use her in my tourney matches yesterday, but she was extreme in my friendlies. I saw Wes at the tournament, i forgot to ask him for Melee friendlies D:

Hive

Smash Lord
I watched all of that video. In 2 sittings, splitting it half each time.... No idea why I'm proud of that.

Hive

Smash Lord
I.. didn't realize it was crucial to your understanding of the material, or that people actually policed punctuation on an internet gaming forum (good luck). :)

Top Bottom