• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Guide/Faq of King Dedede. (Updated 7/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I really liked your guide, very nice. There where just two things I wanted to add though.

You mention that his Back throw is one of the strongest in the game, but in fact it is THE strongest throw in the game. Not a big deal, I just wanted to point it out. It does 16% and the most anyone else can do is I think 14% on one of Olimar's.

Also the Dtilt can cause tripping up to 15%. If the opponent is at 0% then using Dtilt after the first two of his jabs can cause a total of about 20 damage and get you a free hit afterwards if they trip. Again, its nothing major, just thought I'd bring it up.

Doval

Smash Lord
You mention that his Back throw is one of the strongest in the game, but in fact it is THE strongest throw in the game. Not a big deal, I just wanted to point it out. It does 16% and the most anyone else can do is I think 14% on one of Olimar's.
Probably more accurate to say it's the most damaging in the game. Saying it's the strongest makes people think it does the most knockback.

yoonie

Smash Cadet
great guide, but worth noting that dedede isn't the ONLY heavy character with a great recovery- snake is right up there in both categories.

CO18

Smash Hero
I really liked your guide, very nice. There where just two things I wanted to add though.

Also the Dtilt can cause tripping up to 15%. If the opponent is at 0% then using Dtilt after the first two of his jabs can cause a total of about 20 damage and get you a free hit afterwards if they trip. Again, its nothing major, just thought I'd bring it up.
Yeah, I believe its the most damaging as you said but Ness's backthrow is far stronger than
Dedede's and can kill quite easily.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
somebody said that you can change the tragectory of the waddledee throw like you would toon links boomerang.

is this true? id try it but im not ner my wii haha, if it is...then you should put it in the guide ^_^

Gindler

Smash Champion
I just thought I'd throw this out there, Dedede does not have the strongest non final smash in the game. Yoshi's Flutter kick can do 35 (in terms of damage this is the best) As far as knockback goes, oh yeah dedede is the king.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
add this to your character matchups

DDD VS MK

if you think MK will dash at you, then dash at him and grab (into back throw).

if you think MK will space a shuffle fair in your face, shield it, then let go of shield and dash grab (into back throw).

if he's near the edge and you grab him, and he expects you to forward throw him, you can down throw him then dash grab to the edge, and get a free CG off (extra 8% from the full powered down throw) before F throwing.

after spacing aerials, especially near the edge, come down randomly with neutral B to suck him up if he runs into you.

to edge guard, jump over him and fall on him with Bair.

if he's jumping from directly under you and is about to up B, expect it, block it, then shield hop Bair him as his up B spins around, making sure not to get hit by his glide attack.

if he tornados either block it all, then try to dash grab into back throw (if you can), or down smash him out of it (up tilt works too, but down smash always works).

if you get caught in tornado, mash upwards + air dodge a lot and you'll get out (this also works vs Smart Bomb items, you can get out easily by smash DIing).

also occasionally I F smash or dash attack if i know when he's going to run at me, but I have to think like really far ahead to make sure I'm going to get that (this doesn't work as well vs ppl with good reflexes, but it worked as much as I could figure out). Best time to use F smash (vs anybody actually) is right after they grab the ledge, they often try to jump out and attack as soon as possible, try to time the F smash to hit them just as their ledge invincibility would end. This is a good way to get 30-40% gimp kills on people.

aznxk3vi17

Smash Cadet
I was under the impression that MK was not able to be chain grabbed. Are you saying something more of a tech chase grab near the edge?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
no, he can just be CGed if he DIs in

ANY character lighter than Marth can be chain grabbed --- ONLY --- if they DI up+towards DDD (basically, be kind of close to the edge, so they expect forward throw, so they DI up+towards you, then you can down throw them and dash grab again before forward throwing at the edge).

also wow @ this guide, no offense this isn't very good. DDDs neutral B is really useful, if you're going to give it ratings give it like 4.5/5, waddle dees 4.5/5 or so, DEFINITLEY NOT 5/5 they are slow and only do 5 damage and in DDD dittos you can just shield cancel into a dash grab to start a CG vs another DDD. I'm considering making my own thread for DDD but I don't feel like putting forth the effort to update it a lot and I don't know for sure many matchups yet.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I've been working alot on the MK match-up myself and I have to agree with most of what you said. I would also like to add that if you attempt to inhale him while he is doing mach tornado, then he will be pulled threw you instead of being swallowed, similar to what happens if they are laying on the ground and you inhale. If you are standing near the edge and do this then he will be pulled behind you, putting him off the stage. If you do this near the end of his tornado then he will end up in "special fall" off the stage, sometimes resulting in a suicide.

It's not a very reliable technique, but my brother mains MK and I have done it to him once or twice. I doubt it would work on better players though.

CO18

Smash Hero
no, he can just be CGed if he DIs in

ANY character lighter than Marth can be chain grabbed --- ONLY --- if they DI up+towards DDD (basically, be kind of close to the edge, so they expect forward throw, so they DI up+towards you, then you can down throw them and dash grab again before forward throwing at the edge).

also wow @ this guide, no offense this isn't very good. DDDs neutral B is really useful, if you're going to give it ratings give it like 4.5/5, waddle dees 4.5/5 or so, DEFINITLEY NOT 5/5 they are slow and only do 5 damage and in DDD dittos you can just shield cancel into a dash grab to start a CG vs another DDD. I'm considering making my own thread for DDD but I don't feel like putting forth the effort to update it a lot and I don't know for sure many matchups yet.
Dam you. I know Neutral B is useful. But its not like you can pull it off that often until the point its a 4.5. Also sorry about the half point for waddle dees..

Thanks for the MK update though. Ill be sure to add it.

I do need to update this but its an effort like you said, ill update it again this weekend.

But could you describe more specifically whats wrong with it? other than the neutral b..

Also thanks for the tidbit highandmighty.

Get some vids out M2k plz. Need to see if theres something else I need to work on. The only vid you have is of you like infiniting the crap out of some other poor dedeede then swallowciding twice. lol

Mew2King

King of the Mews
The only vid with DDD I ever recorded was 1 out of 7 matches I had with Forte with DDD from winners finals at chus biweekly and it's on a random person's wii that hopefully wasn't deleted. I should have recorded my first tourney, where I fought Vidjo's ROB/Lucas/MK and I 3-0d him and beat other ppl before that, but I didn't save any of them which I regret now.

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
For me the only arial that I ever use is fair and bair. I also like to throw them of the platform and the inhale them for a double suicide. Go Suicide dedede's.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
the dk matchup is a little off, I've been finding ways around the projectiles, but it should still be easy cause I usually can only get 50% in before I'm grabbed

AJtwist

Smash Cadet
King De3 threw a capsule today. his side B. The capsule broke and out came a smash ball in an ITEM OFF match... has this ever happened?

CO18

Smash Hero
this guide claims that f-tilt does 12% damage...how?

It always does about 5-6% damage for me. Do you have to space it differently.
You sure thats not with diminishing damage? Ill check again.

Also AJtwist read the stickied topic.

IF youre playing on wifi and your opponent only has it set to none then you can still throw it.

Also I know the DK matchup is off, I havent completed it yet, I just put some stuff that was on the top of my head down.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
hmm.. how do you think the matchup againstt marth is? i main mk and now secondary dedede soo basically .. should i use dedede against marth or use meta knight? lol

is there any thread that gives a list of counterpick stages for dedede? can anyone post it please

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
King De3 threw a capsule today. his side B. The capsule broke and out came a smash ball in an ITEM OFF match... has this ever happened?
I've been meaning to ask if this is a legitamate technique. There was a thread that showed D3 doing it to get the Dragoons but not confirmed if it was items off. even so, with itmes on, should not the capsules come out that sonsistantly? If it is true, How do you do it?

Really? "its time for king dedede to cause some dededelicous dededestruction"? looks like someone needs to clobber dat der bluebolt :dedede: :kirby2: :sniper:

Met

Smash Ace
I've been meaning to ask if this is a legitamate technique. There was a thread that showed D3 doing it to get the Dragoons but not confirmed if it was items off. even so, with itmes on, should not the capsules come out that sonsistantly? If it is true, How do you do it?

Really? "its time for king dedede to cause some dededelicous dededestruction"? looks like someone needs to clobber dat der bluebolt :dedede: :kirby2: :sniper:
hahah ahahaha

Met

Smash Ace
Then why is HE the one people ask for help.
because the majority of people who main dedede apparently are scrubs, I am not saying your bad co18 i have watched some matches and your pretty decent but there are alot more dedede's above you and above me. but also he is willing to help out people who ask so good **** dude

Rust

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rustic
Don't know if this has been stated yet, or if it's even useful, but the damage that the Jet Hammer deals to Dedede tops out at 150%

Just trying to be helpful ^^;

whut?

Smash Journeyman
this thread needs to be updated,
bowser cant escape the CG with upB, no one can. (unless they fall)
ddds upB doesnt have to do with momentum. You have control in the startup,
when ddd starts to say"huhmpf" and his body flashes with invincibility frames.
you can use this move standing still into any direction,
or it can be used running <left but alter it to go >right

CO18

Smash Hero
Sorry. I'll do a big update soon. Just have been insanely busy due to exams, School is over with now so I'll have alot more time.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
Sorry. I'll do a big update soon. Just have been insanely busy due to exams, School is over with now so I'll have alot more time.
no need to be sorry! alot of people know these things but new ddd users keep coming to the forums asking questions that could be answered here.
The ddd community has gained way more knowledge since the release of brawl.
waddle dee trajectory, chaingrab types, mech hammer glitch even, etc.
this forum is full of info its just not condensed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom