• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Guide/Faq of King Dedede. (Updated 7/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO18

Smash Hero
Think about how many people new to SSB in general are going to roll.

Easily punishable with dash attack.
Yeah, but I think most people are looking it at it from a standpoint of how useful it will be against good players rather than people who just get the game.

LuCKy

Smash Master
lol nobody answered when i ask what has more knock back.......his down b or forward smash....both fully charged??? anyone?

LuCKy

Smash Master
ok thanks a lot........ive been fighting a jiggly a lot so i was wondering what i should do if they miss a rest

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Sorry, I've been away a bit!
OK, Zenjamin, CO18, and all the rest. Fears about Dedede's specials have been dispelled. Everyone does have a use!!! Waddle Dee Toss and Inhale seem good for attacking directly (I personally think Inhale has lots of potential, people just don't use it as much as they should!), nothing can beat SDDD Jump for recovery, and Jet Hammer is great to throw at people in unexpected situations!
Really, he could have had all terrible specials and still been great! His tilts, aerials, grabs, and smashes are all great! He really is just a great character over all, can't beleive I doubted his special potential!

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Sorry, I've been away a bit!
OK, Zenjamin, CO18, and all the rest. Fears about Dedede's specials have been dispelled. Everyone does have a use!!! Waddle Dee Toss and Inhale seem good for attacking directly (I personally think Inhale has lots of potential, people just don't use it as much as they should!), nothing can beat SDDD Jump for recovery, and Jet Hammer is great to throw at people in unexpected situations!
Really, he could have had all terrible specials and still been great! His tilts, aerials, grabs, and smashes are all great! He really is just a great character over all, can't beleive I doubted his special potential!

I'm gonna point out something about his inhale real quick. I found its use (other than the obvious suicide) to be a very useful mindgame. what I do is I inhale the opponent, and I let them wiggle out. Once free they generally pop upwards, and you can do a couple things from there. most of my opponents seem to DI towards me after they pop out, leaving them open for an uair or a fair, either are good. in case they do happen to DI away from you, you can always toss a waddle dee in there direction, and follow up with a grab, or a tilt. thats just my input on that subject.

also a quick point about Dedede's rolls. his backroll is amazingly fast, and you can use it to get out of my situations, and even use it to get across the stage or behind your opponent leaving them up for a grab. now I don't suggest only rolling to get across stage, but its a very useful maneuver for what I stated above.

K. Ruler

Smash Rookie
Thats A nice guide you made there ;), Dedede looks like his a cool character and fun to play. (Waddle Dee toss = kicka**!!) im glad that Sakurai brought Dedede to the game, since K. Rool is not Playable :( But, DDD works for me too :)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
When I saw DDD on Dojo I was pissed because I didn't see what was so great about a big penguin with big hammer but when I saw some vids I had a change of heart. DDD is AWESOME! I'm gonna use him a lot.

DarkHero9360

Smash Cadet
if u mean a roll that has less cooldown time than almost anybody in the game and sets you up for a grab that sets you up for almost anything he has for a edgeguard and maybe a ko than yes, it's still a roll....

ddd ftw!

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
LOL his roll is the new wave dash, and his dthrow is the new waveshine. no wonder I like DDD so much XD

ViciousSLASH

Smash Rookie
Just finished reading the FAQ, it should aid me in becoming the best De3 there is. Many thanks to the OP.

I wish my fellow brothers in the Will of De the best of luck in their quest to get hammer time on peeps domes.

Remember, El Gordo Penguino is the best character in the game, don't shame us other De3 mains with subpar play.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
This might have been brought up earlier (im not gonna bother sifting through all the pages) but it should be mentioned that the Super Dedede Jump spikes pretty hard on the way down.

Possible use: bury someone recovering above the stage, then cancel and grab ledge? some chars dont have many recovery options and would be succeptible.

mindgames.

T-major

Smash Champion
I think the Super Jump Spike was known to most people, but not specificaly mentioned in this thread... I could be wrong, though. if not, you should add it to the main post, CO.

CO18

Smash Hero
This might have been brought up earlier (im not gonna bother sifting through all the pages) but it should be mentioned that the Super Dedede Jump spikes pretty hard on the way down.

Possible use: bury someone recovering above the stage, then cancel and grab ledge? some chars dont have many recovery options and would be succeptible.

mindgames.
yeah, its been mentioned.

But its basically luck if you hit.
First: You cant control it the way you would want its way too slow.
2nd: They would easily see a fat penguin jumping in the air tring to come down on them...
3rd: You would have to make sure you somehow spiked them right next to the ledge otherwise you fall to your doom...

But yeah its pretty much not useable.. but maybe something might come up in the future...

Met

Smash Ace
Do you mean you cant control they direction they go from it? cause if you hit with the right side they go diagnally down to the right. etc...

CO18

Smash Hero
Do you mean you cant control they direction they go from it? cause if you hit with the right side they go diagnally down to the right. etc...
No I was just saying you cant really control the Jump to the point that you would be able to time it and spike the opponent....

Also, just realized The Up throw wasnt even on the guide... :dizzy:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Just a question, I've heard it elsewhere. Does DDD truly have Super Armor during Inhale? *hopes*

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Great guide:D

i think i found a mistake:

"Wdees do nothing unless they walk off the edge and hit the opponent."

im pretty sure i saw a video where the Wdees jump, even if it is like once in 10 secs or if they jump when they are triggered by something... anyways, i saw in a video that a Wdee jumped and it did some dmg to the enemy. if you want me to, i'll try to find it :)

CO18

Smash Hero
Great guide:D

i think i found a mistake:

"Wdees do nothing unless they walk off the edge and hit the opponent."

im pretty sure i saw a video where the Wdees jump, even if it is like once in 10 secs or if they jump when they are triggered by something... anyways, i saw in a video that a Wdee jumped and it did some dmg to the enemy. if you want me to, i'll try to find it :)
You are right. I need to edit that. I forgot too. Thanks for pointing that out?

And uhh... Why do you keep saying on Justin's account Met?

Edit: Nvm. Im dumb, forget what I just said.
Also The Sig.... lol...

Met

Smash Ace
he does on the super jump going up. His inhale I am pretty sure does, or has somehing like it. Sometmes when i inhale someone and they throw a attack right as they get sent into the being inhaled animation i have taken damage but not been knocked out of it. Yeah thanks i just made my sig that was my friend being drunk.

CO18

Smash Hero
Yeah the inhale has super armor frames, if they hit you but are still inside inhale's range and in the process of being inhaled like Met said, you wont be knocked out of it.

T-major

Smash Champion

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Just got done reading all 14 pages of this thread. Thanks a lot for the great guide and thanks to everyone else for their input. I'm pretty new to the boards but I'm a long time Smash player (since release day of SSB64); I've been waiting the whole time for them to add Dedede to the game. Now that he's in I've been practicing with him but was having some trouble adjusting to him. I used to play a very aggressive Sheik so I didn't really think to play defensively as DDD at first. Now that I'm getting used to him though he's really good and I'm sure this guide will help further.

I'm a big fan of his uair though; the fact that it scores multiple hits and a strong knockback hit at the end just seems amazing. Maybe that's my inner aggressive player talking though.

Anyway, thanks. Hammer Penguin ftw.

CK20XX

Smash Rookie
Wow, that's a lotta posts. Allow me to contribute.

Contrary to what you might think, Kirby and King Dedede's Inhale moves are not identical. The differences in them are small, but present.

First of all, King Dedede has a bit more range and pull when inhaling. Kirby has to be nearly right next to an enemy to inhale them since his B move mainly exists to let him copy other B moves. Dedede can afford to stand a bit farther away, and when he does he pulls enemies toward him almost immediately with his lungs.

It's when you have have someone in your mouth that the differences are most obvious. Kirby can barely move with his face full, but King Dedede walks faster and jumps a bit higher with his cheeks stuffed. Try it out. He is surprisingly mobile, so use this to jump, aim, and then spit. Enemies seem to have a harder time getting out of Dedede's more robust belly too.

When Kirby copies King Dedede, he also gains these advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom