• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Guide/Faq of King Dedede. (Updated 7/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO18

Smash Hero
CO18, I linked this thread in the Official Dedede thread :D

also, some questions:

when you fully charge the jet hammer, can you then store it and release it later?

how much does your damage increase by while holding it?
No you cant save it, once you release it it fires.

I know it increases in increments of 1% but I was told that it is 2% every second which sounds about right, but its not like ive taken a stopwatch to check.

Banned via Administration
wait........what's the lowest amount of percent you can do with hammer and what's the highest. also how is the knockback/speed of it

CO18

Smash Hero
wait........what's the lowest amount of percent you can do with hammer and what's the highest. also how is the knockback/speed of it
lol...hammer? I might need a little more clarification as to which move...

CO18

Smash Hero
sry lol i meant jet hammer but didnt type it so downb
As for his max, Im almost certain its 30%. I will tell you what the min is tomorrow.
Knockback is amazing when fully charged, but its still good when its not.
Its actually not that slow, its got decent speed and should be very useful for edgeguarding since you can jump and swing in the air while its charged.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
you could also jump and reverse Bair... but when the other guy sees what looks like a 747 jet in the hands of a giant flying penguin, they will likely just crap themselves and kill themselves in fear.

mindgames like woah!

CO18

Smash Hero
you could also jump and reverse Bair... but when the other guy sees what looks like a 747 jet in the hands of a giant flying penguin, they will likely just crap themselves and kill themselves in fear.

mindgames like woah!

Yeah, thats gonna be sooo sweet. I dont know who couldnt be afraid of that.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I'm going to be playing Brawl for the rest of the afternoon in an hour, and I will be online on AIM for that duration. If anyone wishes for me to test something or record some move, just let me know.

AIM - jaketotheizz0

CO18

Smash Hero
I'm going to be playing Brawl for the rest of the afternoon in an hour, and I will be online on AIM for that duration. If anyone wishes for me to test something or record some move, just let me know.

AIM - jaketotheizz0
I need to really download aim, seeing that almost everyone has it.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Finally played the game... I was having too much fun to test anything specific.
But I will say that something verry useful I havent seen anyone else mention is that you can full-hop out of the shield, and start to Dair your opponent, if you dont FF it, you will start to rise into the air, when the last hit of the Dair hits, the opponent will fly a little bit up, and as you gained altitude from the air, you can now follow up with either a Fair or a Dair.

I played a verry good Cpt. Olmar, tonight,
He can out spam you so you have go go to him, he has a move that keeps you approaching from the air, and he is faster then you on the ground...
How do you approach Cpt. Omar?

T-major

Smash Champion
CO18, could you please send me that picture of Dedede's Purple costume thats in your sig? I've been looking all over for a good picture of that costume. D:

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Finally played the game... I was having too much fun to test anything specific.
But I will say that something verry useful I havent seen anyone else mention is that you can full-hop out of the shield, and start to Dair your opponent, if you dont FF it, you will start to rise into the air, when the last hit of the Dair hits, the opponent will fly a little bit up, and as you gained altitude from the air, you can now follow up with either a Fair or a Dair.
Where is your opponent when you are full hopping? If they are sitting next to me putting pressure on my shield, I have to SH->dair.

CO18

Smash Hero
CO18, could you please send me that picture of Dedede's Purple costume thats in your sig? I've been looking all over for a good picture of that costume. D:
I just put a pic of that one along with all his other alts on the thread under miscellanious.

Also guys have you seen or have any confirmation of this...

It appears that Dedede may occasionally throw items as well although I have not encountered this.

Look at around :41 it appears he throws a capsule and at around 5:45 it seems he throws a fan?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fE05SRuQ9Ag

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Where is your opponent when you are full hopping? If they are sitting next to me putting pressure on my shield, I have to SH->dair.
In the guide in this thread many of DDD's moves are discussed.

But DDD's best move, the thing that makes him a good completive character, is not there.

His spot-dodge is the best in the game IMO, you should never worry about people putting pressure on your sheild because of it.
spot dodge, and while they are in lag, jump with the control stick and start the Dair, all of its hits should hit and bring you into the air, and when the last hit of the Dait hits it will pop them up and to the side for you to follow up with an attack of your choosing.

EDIT:
in my 3+ hours of play, i never saw DDD throw a capsule or an item.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
Got the chance to try Brawl today. Dedede is sick.

One thing I think Dedede players will want to do is fish for Waddle Doos, and keep them hanging around. They are way too useful. For most of my matches I kept a Waddle Doo out, and every now and then manouevered to keep him on the stage/ between me and my opponent. I couldn't even believe how many times I could bait people into a full waddle doo beam attack, which almost always resulted in a free grab or hit. (and once a charged Fsmash which -- combined with the beam -- broke Wolf's shield from full.)

If Gordo is Dedede's Stitchface, then Waddle Doos are his Beam Sword.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Im really gonna have to disagree there.

In completive play, we moved much too fast to keep the waddle Doo positioned like that, and Way too fast for him to stay still long enough to be hit by one of those attacks.

and even then, it is much more beneficial to Keep the Dees as a spam soaker and to hit the other guy.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
That sounds like the judgement of someone who has neither seen it or tried it :\. I see now I phrased it terribly the first time, im not suggesting go out of your way to save a waddle doo, or run around guarding it and relying on its beam to open up combos for you. i mean just be peripherally aware of your waddle doo, and give it time to do its thing before you erase it with more Dee spam. With a good opportunity and a little cleverness, he can get you a free, massive hit on an opponent. it HAS happened. and not like 'random-9-hammer-kill-to-win-game' happenend. its more like 'jigglypuff-upthrow-to-platform-techchase-rest' happened, if you follow me on that one.

also id just like to mention anyone can dodge the beam with ease, but they can be thrown, hit, forced, or mindgamesd into it just as easily. With the attack lasting for as long as it does, and with the range that it has makes it a lot easier to get caught in than some people even realize until it happens to them.

Some people will Dee spam. I'll fish for Waddle Doos and let them chill where I can. All about what's appropriate at the time.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Ill try that strat today, but I doubt it will be verry effetive against someone so fast.

I just dont see how the benefit of possibly getting a waddle doo attack outweighs getting abut 3 waddle dee attacks in the same ammount of time, and keeping them spamable for projectile absorbers and spacing.

CO18

Smash Hero
Ill try that strat today, but I doubt it will be verry effetive against someone so fast.

I just dont see how the benefit of possibly getting a waddle doo attack outweighs getting abut 3 waddle dee attacks in the same ammount of time, and keeping them spamable for projectile absorbers and spacing.
Oh guys heres the thing. King Dedede has a 5% chance of throwing out a random item if you're playing with items on. Very cool. Although most of us wont be playing with items on... its interesting none the less.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I threw a Smash Ball yesterday.

CO18

Smash Hero
Alright. I just used the Waddle dee toss 100 times consecutively with items off.
My results were:
Wdees: 78
Wdoos: 18
Gordos: 4

Im gonna take a guess and say that its about 75% change of wdees, 20% wdoes, and 5% chance of gordos.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
true or false: you can send WDees/WDoos flying with a smash, and they can hit your opponent, causing extra knockback. i never got the chance to test if they can actually strike an opponent yesterday and im just curious :\

CO18

Smash Hero
true or false: you can send WDees/WDoos flying with a smash, and they can hit your opponent, causing extra knockback. i never got the chance to test if they can actually strike an opponent yesterday and im just curious :\
True, they can also do it to you. But they cannot pick up or catch your throws.

ODD_JOB

Smash Rookie
great job on the FAQ, I've just started playing the *** version last night with my friends and DDD has some real potential. Now all I need is some practice :)

CO18

Smash Hero
ah. is it just a weak knockback, or is it somehow proportional to the attack used to send the little guys flying in the first place?
Its proportional. If you use his Fsmash they will freaking fly, but if you use like your jab it will barely go anywhere.

Also thanks Odd job. :)

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
You should really tag name the stressful suicide you commit when you accidentally Super Dedede Jump right into your death. I just get pissed and throw the controller when I'm in my last stock and i try a risky recovery... Maybe, "FatFalling" LMAO

T-major

Smash Champion
You should really tag name the stressful suicide you commit when you accidentally Super Dedede Jump right into your death. I just get pissed and throw the controller when I'm in my last stock and i try a risky recovery... Maybe, "FatFalling" LMAO
haha! FatFalling works. I like that

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
I have a random question to anyone that can answer it.

Q - Is Dedede's Inhale EXACTLY like Kirby's? Can you copy an opponent's standard B if you choose to?

CO18

Smash Hero

Q - Is Dedede's Inhale EXACTLY like Kirby's? Can you copy an opponent's standard B if you choose to?
Pretty much, if theres any difference its not really noticeable.

And no Dedede cant copy opponent's standard B.

Thats strictly kirby's move.

Dedede can only spit them back out.

*Fatfalling*.:chuckle:

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice

D3's sucking special is excactly the same, except for not getting their power. I may be wrong, but it seems more powerful, and used for Suicidedede's. (Killing youself with someone in your mouth.) Oh, and another thing, when Kirby obtains D3's power, he uses D3's hammer.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and another thing, when Kirby obtains D3's power, he uses D3's hammer.

HA, HA, HA...think back to when DDD was unknown, we had a thread with a pic of kirby using inhale. he had a dedede hat on too.
everyone was like "DDD'S B move must be inhale then..." but i said "we dont know yet we cant judge on this pic"

and i was semi right, kirby doesnt do dedede's inhale he uses the hammer...as opposed to doing what is shown in that screenie, which was inhaling.

that may sound weird, but that made me smile for a second.

CO18

Smash Hero
D3's sucking special is excactly the same, except for not getting their power. I may be wrong, but it seems more powerful, and used for Suicidedede's. (Killing youself with someone in your mouth.) Oh, and another thing, when Kirby obtains D3's power, he uses D3's hammer.
Its now "Regicide" instead of "Suicidedede" because its much easier to say. :laugh:

It also seems its easier to "regicide" than "kirbycide" as well but then I tried to time how long the opponent stays inside each other's bellies without button mashing there was no difference. Maybe at higher percentages its easier to do... Ill try it out.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
1. Can Dedede after inhaling Pokéballs spit them out, and play them like he would by grabbing and throwing them=???

2. Can Dedede inhale assist trophies=???

3. Can Dedede Suckicide good, if even at all? :laugh: (enahle an opponent, and then suicide with them)

Edit: I got trademark dibbs on suckicide, if it isn't taken already! :laugh:

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
1. Can Dedede after inhaling Pokéballs spit them out, and play them like he would by grabbing and throwing them=???

3. Can Dedede Suckicide good, if even at all? :laugh: (enahle an opponent, and then suicide with them)

This was already cleared elsewhere, but I'll say it for you.
D3 nor Kirby can't suck up Pokéballs and can't suck up AT.
They can, suck up all other items. most of them at least.
Oh, and wario have these limitations also with his Bite move.

CO18

Smash Hero

Well if you wouldve read the previous post....... nothings official or anything but it use to be "Suicidedede" but since its too weird and long to say by tounge its now "Regicide".

Anyway to your questions. :)

1. Dedede cant inhale pokeballs.

2. Yes he can inhale assist trophies but he just swallows them.

3. Dedede's "Regicide" is ok, its basically the same as the kirbycide, although at points it feels like its better, I dont think it really is because I tested the times that characters stay in each of their's stomachs without button mashing and they were the same.

Also snowbonez, I thought I was able to suck up an AT. Are you sure? Ill try it again later but im pretty sure I did.... May be wrong though.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
you forgot to note that his Fsmash has a radius/hitzone that is past his hammer...
it "shakes the earth" around you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom