• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Guide/Faq of King Dedede. (Updated 7/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
indeed...i was let down when mr. trump was cut from the roster,
but i talked with sakurai and he said he will see what he can do for SSB4.

but totally check out the damage radius for Fsmash.
im interested

Jaydo

Smash Rookie
I really hope this isn't a repost, I didn't bother to read anything past the first post and found nothing if this there.

When pulling out waddle dees and doo's and such, you can randomly pull out a smash ball. My friend discovered this a few hours ago playing CP mario, with no items on.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
You have to turn no items on and disable all the items in the item switch to make it so he dosent throw items

if for example you have smash ball marked as being on, but items off as a whole he'll still throw it

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
You have to turn no items on and disable all the items in the item switch to make it so he dosent throw items

if for example you have smash ball marked as being on, but items off as a whole he'll still throw it
so, ur saying that dedede can HOLD ONTO a smash ball? i didnt know that was possible...:ohwell:

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
so DDDD's f.smash > his jet hammer?
if so thats just messed up...
if not...whats the point of f.smash? hah

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
so DDDD's f.smash > his jet hammer?
if so thats just messed up...
if not...whats the point of f.smash? hah
hmm, ur kinda right on that.
the jet hammer takes too long too fully charge, while the fsmash is a lil quicker.
With the hammer, walks while charging,losing health at the same time.
to me, both of these moves are too slow to implement into anything.
i use the down smash, gets both sides, quick, great knockback, and greater damage.
all these pros with no cons. it's also easy to combo into.;)

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
so, ur saying that dedede can HOLD ONTO a smash ball? i didnt know that was possible...:ohwell:
*Zenjamin takes his hammer and smacks the stupid out of snowbonez*
*snowbonez suddenly realizes that you cant actually hold on to your minions like peach can her turnips, so there is no reason to think it would be different with items.*

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Great guide ;D I'd sticky it if it wasn't already stickied.

I didn't see a use for Jet hammer until I read the guide. Then again, I hadn't really used the move that much anyway.

CO18

Smash Hero
Lol, yeah you cant hold on to anything.

But in regards to the Jet hammer it definitley has its uses. Although the start up lag may be bad once its fully charaged it releases rather quick.
So lets say the opponent is trying to get back on the stage, you would have to time it perfectly with his Fsmash and it will be extremely slow and predictable.
But if you charge up his Jet hammer before he gets back on, you can release it rather quick and it deals awhole lot of damage.
Plus you can use the Jet Hammer in mid air which can be useful.
Im trying to work on some combos that could possibly end with the Jet hammer, i feel I will crack one soon.
In addition, the Jet hammer can be used for some pretty good mindgames, it just sucks that you have to take a little damage.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
CO18, when you are talking about the opponent getting back on the stage, what do you mean? The character is hanging on the ledge, and you are charging up your jet hammer to approximately where the character will roll when he gets on stage?

Sorry, I just was wanting a bit of clarification there...

T-major

Smash Champion
I took it as; when they are jumping back to the stage after getting knocked off.

and CO, question about the Jet Hammer. when fully charged, the swing make Dedede spin around. so, does it hit people behind him? or just in front?

CO18

Smash Hero
Alright so I tried the Fsmash to see how far it can hit without directly hitting the opponent. This range is actually pretty far, as the opponent can be an extra body length away from the hammer and it still hits.
This does 5% damage and still has pretty good knockback.
Also, I was originally wrong about how much the JEt hammer does in the air. It actually does 28% max.

Also I spammed Dedede's moves to see how much less damage it did with the New diminishing moves in Brawl. I only tried it on Waddle Dees and his Fsmash and these were the results in terms of how much damamge for each hit.
Wd - 5,4,4,3,2,2,2,2
FSmash - 24,21,20,19,16,14,13,11,

Also to T-major. The Jet hammer cant hit behidn you.

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
*Zenjamin takes his hammer and smacks the stupid out of snowbonez*
*snowbonez suddenly realizes that you cant actually hold on to your minions like peach can her turnips, so there is no reason to think it would be different with items.*
smash balls, you cant actually grab them! that's what i was saying. you have to stop thinking ur better than me. u might know some more things, but dont rub that in my face.:ohwell:

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
*Zenjamin belives in "tough love", so he takes his knowledge and rubs it into snowbonez' face in the hope that it will soak into his brain*

snowbonez

Smash Apprentice
*Zenjamin belives in "tough love", so he takes his knowledge and rubs it into snowbonez' face in the hope that it will soak into his brain*
that's what my dad said, before i got my restraining order on him, lol.
whatever, at least i learn some stuff about Dedede, that's what matters most.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Everybody, if you have not already, click on DALegendarySauce's profile.
from there you can add him to your ignore list.

I personally will not, so i can report him when he trolls.

anyways
He is not evil but rather misguided and Greedy.
This is just not true. he cant be misguided, there is nobody better then him to misguide him. and besides, hes pretty much always right.

also, he is not greedy, he can actually be quite humble. He just has a quest to keep his legitimate throne of dreamland.
Why? because he is a caring and loving individual, and he knows that someone as wise and badass as himself being in power would benifit everybody.

CO18

Smash Hero
why is co18 writing a guide when he's not good?

Don’t get your point. Besides you out right saying that I’m bad without ever playing me or seeing me play is dumb by itself.

Since I have access to the game, I decided to make a guide for other Dedede users that don’t have the game and would like to know more about Dedede’s attacks.

Is there something wrong with the guide? Im pretty sure its not… otherwise it would not have been stickied, or have it’s rating that it has. I am telling all the information I know about Dedede at this point in time and I believe its helpful. If it wasn’t, I’m quite sure we would see some other type of conflict or disagreement because there are like 4 or 5 other Dedede uers on this board that have the game and none seem to disagree with what I’ve written.

Regardless if I was bad or not, does that take away the right of me making a guide to help others? Am I blind? No. I can clearly see how much range, lag, or knockback a move does as well as see its damage.
Does a football coach not get a job because he never played in the NFL? Oh wait… no, just because the person was never good at the sport doesn’t mean he doesn’t know what you have to do to play it well.

Also since everyone is bad at this game that would mean there should be no guides whatsoever anywhere because people have at max had the game for 2 weeks, and it is very different from melee. So I’m guessing that’s what you want right? No guides..

Anyway, since I’m bad, I would love to play you online and I’m quite sure you would love to play me since I’m not good and you’ll get an easy win.
Am I right?
Well we’ll see how that turns out….

Anyway back on topic:

Just did a couple ot tests to see what some of his moves would kill mario at from the center of FD.

D-tilt- 135%
F-tilt - 280%
U-tilt - 105%

N-air 170%
F-air 130%
D-air – 160%

D-smash – 115%
U-smash 110%

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I was playing against my friends Marth last night (one of the best Marth Melee players in Socal), and noticed how badly King Dedede gets ***** by throw->fsmash combos due to his size. I'll post my thoughts about the matchup:

- Spamming projectiles didn't work. His Marth easily knocked them away with his sword and got even closer.
- Very easy to get Ken Comboed if you don't DI correctly.
- King Dedede gets punished for missing just about any attack due to his lag
- Throw->fsmash always results in a tipper (normally)

But there were some positive things I got out of it:

- Dtilt works wonders. It has quite alot of range, and can send a rushing Marth away with a decent knockback. The negative thing is that without wavedashing in Brawl, a Marth is going to switch to an aerial combo game to get kills.
- D3's downb helps alot. It has very little windup lag, and can stop a barrage of Fairs from Marth. I wasn't able to test it that much, but it seemed useful.
- Bair out of shield goes both ways. If you hit, Marth goes flying and you have time to think about what to do next. If you miss, Marth ****s you up with a fmash.

I'll work on more things against different characters.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering about Nair. Watching BOWM's video tutorial, it seems that Nair has a large hitbox and very little landing lag. In a video I believe I saw someone SHFF an Nair and it popped the opponent straight up, to a low height that could easily lead to a Uair, Utilt, Bair, etc. Thus to me it looks pretty good, although I don't have the game. Is Dair just a better option, or are there drawbacks to Nair that I'm missing?

Edit: This isn't the video I remembered but in this video at around 50 sec, Coen hits Wario with an Nair that sends him straight up.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fa7vlZvh4w0

CO18

Smash Hero
I'm wondering about Nair. Watching BOWM's video tutorial, it seems that Nair has a large hitbox and very little landing lag. In a video I believe I saw someone SHFF an Nair and it popped the opponent straight up, to a low height that could easily lead to a Uair, Utilt, Bair, etc. Thus to me it looks pretty good, although I don't have the game. Is Dair just a better option, or are there drawbacks to Nair that I'm missing?

Edit: This isn't the video I remembered but in this video at around 50 sec, Coen hits Wario with an Nair that sends him straight up.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fa7vlZvh4w0
Neutral Air is sort of weird, you're right about it having a large hitbox with little lag.

But out of Dedede's Aerials it has the lowest priority, and is the weakest. Also, it can only hit the opponent when they're at certain angles. It's good if the opponent is extremely close to you in the front since his forward air has a little bit of startup lag. Its pretty much like a weaker sex kick. But if they're behind you or below you its much better just to use his bair and dair, because they do much more damage, have better range, and have more priority.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
dam, this guide is freaking epic. thanks dude, i plan on using Dedede so its good to see what he is capable of.
rep +5

cheifrocka

Smash Apprentice
I was playing against my friends Marth last night (one of the best Marth Melee players in Socal), and noticed how badly King Dedede gets ***** by throw->fsmash combos due to his size. I'll post my thoughts about the matchup:

- Spamming projectiles didn't work. His Marth easily knocked them away with his sword and got even closer.
- Very easy to get Ken Comboed if you don't DI correctly.
- King Dedede gets punished for missing just about any attack due to his lag
- Throw->fsmash always results in a tipper (normally)

But there were some positive things I got out of it:

- Dtilt works wonders. It has quite alot of range, and can send a rushing Marth away with a decent knockback. The negative thing is that without wavedashing in Brawl, a Marth is going to switch to an aerial combo game to get kills.
- D3's downb helps alot. It has very little windup lag, and can stop a barrage of Fairs from Marth. I wasn't able to test it that much, but it seemed useful.
- Bair out of shield goes both ways. If you hit, Marth goes flying and you have time to think about what to do next. If you miss, Marth ****s you up with a fmash.

I'll work on more things against different characters.
Did you try f-tilting to create some separation? Not sure if it outranges marth's fsmash but it's pretty darn rangy. I'd try poking a bit and see if I couldn't draw him in closer.

Of course, he sounds like just a kickass marth player anyway.

junokim

Smash Rookie
yeah, just playing right now, found out some stuff aboutthe forward+b. Items were off for sure. Somehow, i managed to throw a pokeball, a capsule with a shell and a freaking smashball. just a little tidbit.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
ya, he can do that like peach can.

but he throws all Items at the other guy.

I suggest manually turning all items off that you would not like thrown at the other guy (such as food.) and then turning the "all" item switch off.
that way you can me sure you only throw PK balls and stuff, instead of giving your enemy a heart.

CO18

Smash Hero
yeah, just playing right now, found out some stuff aboutthe forward+b. Items were off for sure. Somehow, i managed to throw a pokeball, a capsule with a shell and a freaking smashball. just a little tidbit.
Items must have been on man.

He cant throw items when items are off.

You probably just had those items on.. because any items that are on could be possibly thrown.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I went to a singles Brawl tournament tonight, and I got alot of friendlies in with other Socal smashers. I used that time to look for strategies and ****, but I didn't get much.

I used alot of ftilts and dtilts in my games. I would use Waddle Dees to lure them close to me, then ftilt them when they came in range. Eventually, they would either run up to me, or roll to me. At that point, I either dtilt or grab.

It's still in the works, but it was working quite well. I want to develop this play style alot more, and hopefully get some videos up.

T-major

Smash Champion
would someone who has the game be able to check something out for me?

go to a stage with a wall, inhale someone with Dedede's B move, and shoot them into the wall. does it do any additional damage? also, check the damage and knock back on shooting an inhaled opponent into another opponent.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I went to a singles Brawl tournament tonight, and I got alot of friendlies in with other Socal smashers. I used that time to look for strategies and ****, but I didn't get much.

I used alot of ftilts and dtilts in my games. I would use Waddle Dees to lure them close to me, then ftilt them when they came in range. Eventually, they would either run up to me, or roll to me. At that point, I either dtilt or grab.

It's still in the works, but it was working quite well. I want to develop this play style alot more, and hopefully get some videos up.
Oh wow haha, I was there. I played Dedede all day except for some diddy matchs. Are you going to the one next week?

All Dededes tilts are good stuff, I love utilt its such a **** kill move. I developed a similiar strategy to this to, heh

Since it was the first time for me playing the game I was trying to get adjusted to it, but the running back air and jab canceling I could tell be effective from the few times I did it. I didnt do to it much because I was adjusting but I could tell it'd be effective for Dedede

Met

Smash Ace
pssht someone else needs to write a better guide because tis one may have alot of facts about ow much damage his moves do but in terms of stratagy with dedede its bad. Me and chillin just finished holding a brawl tourny at my house and we have been playig nonstop and i have gotten pretty good with dedede enough to go even with chillin and east coast eddie and i can tel you that this guide isn't that good.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
well, perhaps you would like to explain how.

CO18, did the best possible with what hes got, but he does not have the benifit of playen chillin.

so add your insight, explain why something wouldnt work agains players is all fine and dandy, but simply saying. "not that good, you should change it" is worse then saying nothing at all.

so please, lend us your wisdom.

PS
how did you place? do you have vids comming? whats your youtube tag?

Foxy_Marth

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1951-3128
DDD recovery isn't 5/5 if you consider some others 4.5/5 is more realistic.

Pit is 5/5 for example.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
NOOOB!

you can hit pit out of his upB and send him to the pits of hell pretty easily.

I have never seen DDD not recover unless he was being a noob and used upB with a celling above him

and pit is light.
DDD is the hardest character to kill in the game.
period.

CO18

Smash Hero
pssht someone else needs to write a better guide because tis one may have alot of facts about ow much damage his moves do but in terms of stratagy with dedede its bad. Me and chillin just finished holding a brawl tourny at my house and we have been playig nonstop and i have gotten pretty good with dedede enough to go even with chillin and east coast eddie and i can tel you that this guide isn't that good.
Yeah man, you act like ive played a 100 matches against multiple characters.

I dont have the benefit of playing a smasher like chillin non-stop.

And if you feel like something should be in it. plz tell me since you have all these strategies..

And yeah foxy, im pretty sure being able to recover from everything is deserving of 5/5.

Also to T-major, shooting someone against the wall does not do any additional damage.

Edit: Forgot about this. Nicktendo went to a tournament in Socal. After the tourney he played alot of matches against his friend's Olimar and he said that Dedede's rotating hammer from his neutral A attacks helps a lot in stopping Pikmin spam.
He also pointed out something interesting, that after you hold A(resulting in the continuos rotation of his hammer) if your opponent DI's into you they get ***** for a whole lot of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom