• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Sure it's possible that he's a boss. But the way things are going, the main disappointment won't be Ridley not being playable as much as it will be what they did to him as a boss.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Does Bossley have a shadow in Brawl? I'm asking this because it could possibly help (or hinder) us in comparing this Ridley's size to his predecessor.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Does Bossley have a shadow in Brawl? I'm asking this because it could possibly help (or hinder) us in comparing this Ridley's size to his predecessor.
We don't really need the shadow because we can see Bossley in Brawl. In Brawl, Bossley is some twice Bowser's size. The only reason we're using shadows is because of the lack of SSB4 Ridley's body, remember. :p

But it's sort of like this: If we assume Bowser is about the same size and not larger in SSB4, Brawl Bossley takes up about a quarter of the stage and is comparable to a taller flying Yellow Devil in size.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
How come this wasn't posted before?

We don't really need the shadow because we can see Bossley in Brawl. In Brawl, Bossley is some twice Bowser's size.
It could still help somehow. I mean, it's possible that our size estimations for SSB4 Ridley are off, and that he might be bigger than his shadow suggests.

The only concrete info that I can buy on Ridley's size are the tailbone and left side of his wing, which suggests he isn't very far off the ground.

majora_787

Smash Hero
How come this wasn't posted before?

It could still help somehow. I mean, it's possible that our size estimations for SSB4 Ridley are off, and that he might be bigger than his shadow suggests.

The only concrete info that I can buy on Ridley's size are the tailbone and left side of his wing, which suggests he isn't very far off the ground.
The only way SSB4 Ridley is bigger than his shadow suggests(or at least, big enough to matter) is if he is an exception somehow to how Pyrosphere's shadows work. We have Bowser and his own shadow to work off of, which indicates that characters really are not noticeably off from their shadows.

PunchesMalone

Smash Rookie
20140606_011607.jpg I think that this here thread might appreciate Radley.

Edit: Aaaaand he's sideways. Oops.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The only way SSB4 Ridley is bigger than his shadow suggests(or at least, big enough to matter) is if he is an exception somehow to how Pyrosphere's shadows work. We have Bowser and his own shadow to work off of, which indicates that characters really are not noticeably off from their shadows.
I see. So this probably means that, if he's a stage element, that he was made smaller so that players could avoid him as well as the other hazards on the stage like lava.

You brought up some good points though. The one thing that caught my attention the most was that it looked as though he was jumping before the scene cut to black.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So... there is a dragon in the PotD

Gee I wonder if that means something

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Holy crap you scared me for a moment.

Anyways, where is that? It doesn't look like it's from Fire Emblem Awakening. Is it from the Akaneia games?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
In only a few days, we could finally know Ridley's role in Smash 4. This is truly the moment we have all been waiting for. Personally, I am betting on Stage Hazardley happening.

This is really it.

Zynux

Smash Lord
I'm disappointed in all of you. During the detractor role-playing, not one of you mentioned how Ridley would obviously be a clone of Charizard and thus can't be a fighter. Though points to @MorbidAltruism for mentioning how Ridley will just be an alternate costume of Charizard instead. :laugh:

Anyways, If e3 even whispers anything relating to Ridley, this whole site is going to be a nightmare. Whether we get a final, irrefutable confirmation of playable/not playable, my condolences to the Moderators in advance. The Varia Suit probably won't even be enough to save you.

With that said, while I still very much believe that he may be getting hyped up for the boss hazard mechanic, I reeeeeeally hope I'm wrong and the possibility of playability is still there, though I'm obviously not nearly as confident of this outcome as others are.

This basically sums up the entire debate, if Sakurai makes him a boss, not only it will be a s*** move to do on the supporters but we would also get a small and slow moving boss, I'm pretty excited to fight YD while playing with my friends, but making Ridley a disapointing boss would be even worse than not having him playable
If Ridley does unfortunately show up as a Boss Hazard, yup he's pretty much guarenteed to be a disappointing boss like you said. Not only does Smash Bros Physics not work well for Boss fights at all, but remember that these "Boss Hazards" will be appearing in the middle of the match. They are probably going to have minimal AI, simple attack patterns, and little mobility to not interfere with the match too much.

I don't expect much out of them at all.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
#ChromConfirmed

Not a bad way to end the week. Has background stage dragons, fortunately not the purple dragon we know and love. Time to sit back and wait for E3 to roll around.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
In only a few days, we could finally know Ridley's role in Smash 4. This is truly the moment we have all been waiting for. Personally, I am betting on Stage Hazardley happening.

This is really it.
Unfortunately, I am in the same boat with you.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Perhaps we're looking at the wrong place...

Lets compare Yellow Devil's shadow.

D

Deleted member

....no one took the Rhedogian idea seriously?

Maybe I didn't use enough of a serious tone;

Compare the shadow to the Rhedogian. It flies, it has a tail tip like Ridley's (more importantly, like the tip we see in the Direct), it's a recurring boss in Other M, and is fought in the Pyrosphere at one point (not in the power plant, but still).
We could be potentially looking at a fake-out here.

lilt

Smash Journeyman

Reminds me quite a bit of the colloseum in Melee's opening. That's quite epic.

btw: I seriously dreamed of Smash Bros. It had 3 Boss Ridleys in it, to get us Ridley fans happy with even more Ridley represantation!

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Wow, the new stage looks pretty nice! I also love how people on Miiverse say it confirms Chrom, 100%.

Because as we all know, Pyrosphere confirmed Ridley, Palutena's Temple confirmed Palutena, and Balloon Fight confirmed Balloon Fighter...

Xhampi

Smash Lord
At E3 when/if Ridley is shown as a stage boss, please don't make up more reasons for him to be playable. It sounds really desperate.
Well to be fair having non playable versions of playable characters in smash is nothing new:

Could Ridley be playable while Roidley is a boss ? Sure !
Would it happen ? I'm waiting to see how Sakurai is going to call Roidley, Ridley or Ridley's clone from Metroid Other M :
-If it's the former I would think that Ridley is indeed only a boss,
-If it's the latter I would say that it's still possible for the real Ridley to be playable since Sakurai is aware that Roidley is only a one shot clone (two if you count the appearance of his corpse in Fusion) and not the real thing.

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Generally, what this really seems to be is the stage where you fight Marth. This may mean that Ike has his own stage, and Arena Ferox would be Robin's/Chrom's.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
had a dream last night that there were no character reveals at e3.

why brain

why
It's a sign of the Super Smash Bros. community's negativity and how it's affecting your subconscious. You may want some counter dosage, possibly going into another community for a few days and then come back for E3. If no new characters are announced, then that's fine, as the game is coming out soon. If Ridley is confirmed as a boss, shout Sakurai's name. If you really look at all the evidence we have against that, including some that contradict people's reasons for him BEING a boss, it confirms the fact that it makes no sense for him to be a boss.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
had a dream last night that there were no character reveals at e3.

why brain

why
I dreamed a few days ago that Sakurai was doing another kind of "who's that trophy ?" at E3 called "who's that Ridley ?" using shadows to make you guess which Ridley it is

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I dreamt a few days ago that Ridley was revealed at E3 as a playable character, but he had Arbok's head for whatever reason. Everyone's reaction in this thread was pretty much just "Okay..."

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I dreamed a few days ago that Sakurai was doing another kind of "who's that trophy ?" at E3 called "who's that Ridley ?" using shadows to make you guess which Ridley it is

Ha, not sure if better or worse than mine.

It's a sign of the Super Smash Bros. community's negativity and how it's affecting your subconscious. You may want some counter dosage, possibly going into another community for a few days and then come back for E3. If no new characters are announced, then that's fine, as the game is coming out soon. If Ridley is confirmed as a boss, shout Sakurai's name. If you really look at all the evidence we have against that, including some that contradict people's reasons for him BEING a boss, it confirms the fact that it makes no sense for him to be a boss.
idk, I don't find smashboards that bad when it comes to negativity. My brain just likes to mess with me. I also probably wouldn't yell at sakurai. I idolize him too much.

If that's what you dream about then you are way too crazy about this game xD

Ah well I can't really talk can I
No, I totally am too crazy about this game. Keeps me from going crazy over the summer. necessary evil.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Here's a random thought to entertain you. What would be more probable, playable or unplayable Ridley, supposing his status wouldn't be revealed at E3?

Top Bottom