• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Friday: Pic of the day. Ridl- (new pic of the shadow)
Monday: Pic of the day. -le me this Mega Man! (pic of Mega Man looking down on a new item confused)
:troll:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Tomorrow's PotD will be a character reveal. Cause Sakurai wants people to walk into E3 HYPED up.

I can hope.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
The description for this picture, one single word; "BIG"
No. It will be, "BIG news today." Big will be written exactly like that. Even though miiverse doesn't allow other fonts. And colors. And sizes.:troll:

Edit: Quote error fixed.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0207.JPG

Oblivious Roidley is oblivious...just a random sketchy thing for fun...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If we don't hit 800 by E3 I'm going to be personally disappointed in everyone who's ever posted and not posted in this thread

and you

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If we don't hit 800 by E3 I'm going to be personally disappointed in everyone who's ever posted and not posted in this thread

and you
Quick! Someone make a leak of Ridley in the game like Palutena's!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
'eh, I really do think he's playable. People were jumping to conclusions about Ridley too quickly in the direct. The same direct where Sakurai trolled everyone by announcing Zero Suit Samus wasn't playable than retracting that almost immediately.

I don't have as much connections to Ridley as most everyone in this topic, but I don't care, I think he'll be great. Its certainly not hard to come up with a moveset for him.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Welp, after spending all day with my router refusing to give off a wireless signal for some reason, apparently I missed three pages of exactly nothing different from what normally goes on in this thread. :p

We've got what. Near 4 days left now? Are we going to start spamming Majora's Mask pictures starting on Saturday?

D

Deleted member

Welp, after spending all day with my router refusing to give off a wireless signal for some reason, apparently I missed three pages of exactly nothing different from what normally goes on in this thread. :p

We've got what. Near 4 days left now? Are we going to start spamming Majora's Mask pictures starting on Saturday?
Majora's Mask Moon confirmed for playable E3 reveal.
Only one player can select him at a time and all you can do is spam the A Button to gradually lower him onto the screen, once he touches the stage everyone gets auto-KO'd and the match ends. The Moon player can never lose. :troll:

majora_787

Smash Hero
If someone uses fan-made games as a reason for someone to be in Smash Bros., do I have the thread's collective permission to bludgeon them with Ridley, or...

D

Deleted member

If someone uses fan-made games as a reason for someone to be in Smash Bros., do I have the thread's collective permission to bludgeon them with Ridley, or...
Why not just paint a bunch of Crocodiles purple, strap wings to their backs and then tie Steaks to this person and dangle them over the Crocodile's pit with a slow-burning rope? :awesome:

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Why not just paint a bunch of Crocodiles purple, strap wings to their backs and dangle this person over their pit with a slow-burning rope? :awesome:
And then repeatedly hit them with Ridley while they dangle over the pit. And then put lasers on the crocodiles' heads. Brilliant.

D

Deleted member

And then repeatedly hit them with Ridley while they dangle over the pit. And then put lasers on the crocodiles' heads. Brilliant.
I like the way you think.
People like you are the people that need to be running this world.
Got a problem with terrorists?
Beat them with Models of Ridley and feed them to Ridley Crocodiles.
The crime rates will sink like the women during the Salem Witch Trials. :awesome:

EDIT: Hey look! I hit 200 posts! [Insert Halo: Reach Birthday Party Sound Effect Here] :bluejump:

Last edited by a moderator:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Majora's Mask Moon confirmed for playable E3 reveal.
Only one player can select him at a time and all you can do is spam the A Button to gradually lower him onto the screen, once he touches the stage everyone gets auto-KO'd and the match ends. The Moon player can never lose. :troll:
Majora's Mask confirmed for e3 reveal!

On 3ds. As a remake.

And majora, from where are you saying fan made games affect this? And what fan made game? Does the Satellaview Link to the Past sequel count as a fan made game? No one needs to answer the last question, that's more just idle rambling.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Majora's Mask confirmed for e3 reveal!

On 3ds. As a remake.

And majora, from where are you saying fan made games affect this? And what fan made game? Does the Satellaview Link to the Past sequel count as a fan made game? No one needs to answer the last question, that's more just idle rambling.
Someone on Miiverse saying Mother needs at least two additional newcomers or else the game is not worth buying, on the basis of the fan-made Mother 4. It doesn't have much to do with Ridley, but Miiverse is exasperating sometimes.

EDIT: I"m not going to sit here and smack talk a series in the Ridley thread but that means about as much as however many explicit or otherwise fan-made Metroid games there are on Newgrounds.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
If they added a trailer with Ridley in it alongside multiple characters, I'd only hope it'd be with other new bad guys as playable characters.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Tomorrow's PotD will be a character reveal. Cause Sakurai wants people to walk into E3 HYPED up.

I can hope.
That or something just as big tomorrow

The potd today is a big hint for this due to being the lamest potd ever since we got pretty far in development.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think that the June 6th PotD will just end up being about that Tomodachi Life stage that we literally saw once and never again. So nothing to do with Ridley.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I think that the June 6th PotD will just end up being about that Tomodachi Life stage that we literally saw once and never again. So nothing to do with Ridley.
A comment about how they had to raise the roof in the apartment to compensate for how large some of the game's fighters are.

I guarantee it.

Last edited:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
KILL THEM WITH FIRE
Preferably Ridley fire.
A comment about how they had to raise the roof in the apartment to compensate for how large of the game's fighters are.

I guarantee it.
Oh, come now, I highly doubt Sakurai would talk about size like...

Pic of the day. Two that are actually not so tall. Kirby's about 8 inches high, Captain Olimar may be a little over an inch.

Oh my...
A comment about how they had to raise the roof in the apartment to compensate for how large of the game's fighters are.
Best PotD ever.
'tis true.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I actually don't remember. I remembered reading somewhere that King Dedede is technically only four feet or something like that? He should be as tall as Mario, but they sized him way up to be with DK and Bowser. :p

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I actually don't remember. I remembered reading somewhere that King Dedede is technically only four feet or something like that? He should be as tall as Mario, but they sized him way up to be with DK and Bowser. :p
I think its because they had to size up Kirby as well, so they sized Dedede to be relative to Kirby.

In other words, as is said numerous times throughout this time, size doesn't affect Smash Bros. in anyway way, and definitely doesn't affect Ridley. :p

bassem6

Smash Lord
So I was doing some thinking today and I can say with the 99% confidence that Ridley will be playable in smash 4. Before I start with my reasoning, I would like to point out that I am neutral towards his inclusion and I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible in my analysis. Lets start with reasons as to why he WOULD'NT be included.

1) Lets get this out of the way. "He's too big." This argument is not a valid concern. Characters do not always go by their canonical sizes in the smash series and Ridley is of varying sizes in all the different Metroid games. They have increased character sizes (olimar) and shrunk characters (Bowser) and this should be no exception. Here is a screenshot that shows how Ridley could potentially be scaled compared to the rest of the cast. http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/write.ign.com/155989/2014/02/Ridley-size-600x270.png

2) Deconfirmed in the boss characters portion of the direct. I'll address this later as it goes along with why I think he is playable.

Can anybody think of any more reasons as to why he wouldn't be in? Those are the biggest two I think. Lets talk about why he will be playable...

1) Second most relevant character in the Metroid series (after Samus).
2) Would make for a unique moveset
3) Would add more character diversity
4) Has been a highly requested character

Okay, now that the obvious stuff is out of the way, lets take a deeper look at the not-so-obvious. Specifically, why would Sakurai include Ridley in the boss character portion of the direct video? A lot of people are taking this at face value and not thinking any deeper into it. I actually think Ridley's inclusion in that clip guarantees he will be playable. Why do you ask?

1) Why would Sakurai, who has shown time and time again to be at least SOMEWHAT in tune with what the fans want so cruelly tease Ridley fans by showing a shadow and not actually deconfirming him? This would be straight up disprespectful to anybody who was hoping for Ridley to be playable. Every other character that has been requested and revealed in footage has been either confirmed or deconfirmed right away. Sakurai is known to troll and I don't suspect that the boss character clip is any exception. I wholeheartedly believe he included the shadow to build hype and make Ridley's playable reveal that much bigger of a surprise.

2) Look at the stage that Ridley's shadow appears on in the clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb35vh33Mb8#t=56

The stage is very clearly pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M. http://cdn.nintendonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ssb_metroid_other_m.jpg

Now lets think back to the days of brawl. Remember the bosses from subspace emissary? NONE of those boss battles happened on playable stages. Each one of them had their own unique "boss stage" if you will. This doesn't mean as much in smash 4 since Yellow devil appears on the playable WIly's Castle stage but it likely rules out the possibility that it is a story mode boss of any kind (if there even is a story mode). This means that if he WERE a stage hazard, it would be very similar to the yellow devil stage situation which would detract from the uniqueness of both stages and we all know how Sakurai loves keeping things as fresh as possible...

3) The play on words to build hype. The text "Other boss character appearances" and Sakurai's quote of "Boss characters make appearances in other stages...not just this one." The biggest thing that Ridley detractors overlook is that these phrases are very vague and open to interpretation. Sakurai could very well be referring to PLAYABLE boss characters and not just "boss character stage hazards." Bowser and Ganondorf are both "boss characters" and they too make appearances in other stages! The vagueness of the statement leaves it an exciting mystery for players to speculate about.

4) This is one of the more interesting things I noticed and lead me to a conclusion about the whole boss character clip. Take another look at it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb35vh33Mb8#t=56

Notice how Ridley's shadow moves at the end there. The shadow flaps to the center of the stage...remains idle for a couple of seconds, flaps to the left...and then at the very last second starts moving to the right again. Think about all the boss fights you have ever played throughout your video game careers. Have you EVER seen a boss that moves in such a manner? What I'm getting at is that Ridley's shadow appears to lack purpose (for lack of a better phrase). There is no attack or sudden movement. It moves for a bit...sits there (in what appears to be an IDLE animation)...and then moves some more back towards where it came from originally. Imagine how silly any other boss from any game would look doing this. This shadow looks like it is being controlled.

My hypothesis is that what we are seeing in that clip is in fact, Ridley's final smash. This final smash causes Ridley to become larger in size, utilize new attacks and gain the ability to fly freely similar to how Sonic, Diddy kong, and Yoshi all could in brawl. It would explain why the shadow is so large and it would explain why he is able to just hover in the air for what seems like an indefinite amount of time. I think all of this will be revealed at E3.

That's my theory and If I haven't convinced you of anything then I hope that I at least provided you with some new food for thought.

majora_787

Smash Hero
So I was doing some thinking today and I can say with the 99% confidence that Ridley will be playable in smash 4. Before I start with my reasoning, I would like to point out that I am neutral towards his inclusion and I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible in my analysis. Lets start with reasons as to why he WOULD'NT be included.

1) Lets get this out of the way. "He's too big." This argument is not a valid concern. Characters do not always go by their canonical sizes in the smash series and Ridley is of varying sizes in all the different Metroid games. They have increased character sizes (olimar) and shrunk characters (Bowser) and this should be no exception. Here is a screenshot that shows how Ridley could potentially be scaled compared to the rest of the cast. http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/write.ign.com/155989/2014/02/Ridley-size-600x270.png

2) Deconfirmed in the boss characters portion of the direct. I'll address this later as it goes along with why I think he is playable.

Can anybody think of any more reasons as to why he wouldn't be in? Those are the biggest two I think. Lets talk about why he will be playable...

Okay, now that the obvious stuff is out of the way, lets take a deeper look at the not-so-obvious. Specifically, why would Sakurai include Ridley in the boss character portion of the direct video? A lot of people are taking this at face value and not thinking any deeper into it. I actually think Ridley's inclusion in that clip guarantees he will be playable. Why do you ask?

1) Why would Sakurai, who has shown time and time again to be at least SOMEWHAT in tune with what the fans want so cruelly tease Ridley fans by showing a shadow and not actually deconfirming him? This would be straight up disprespectful to anybody who was hoping for Ridley to be playable. Every other character that has been requested and revealed in footage has been either confirmed or deconfirmed right away. Sakurai is known to troll and I don't suspect that the boss character clip is any exception. I wholeheartedly believe he included the shadow to build hype and make Ridley's playable reveal that much bigger of a surprise.

2) Look at the stage that Ridley's shadow appears on in the clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb35vh33Mb8#t=56

The stage is very clearly pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M. http://cdn.nintendonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ssb_metroid_other_m.jpg

Now lets think back to the days of brawl. Remember the bosses from subspace emissary? NONE of those boss battles happened on playable stages. Each one of them had their own unique "boss stage" if you will. This doesn't mean as much in smash 4 since Yellow devil appears on the playable WIly's Castle stage but it likely rules out the possibility that it is a story mode boss of any kind (if there even is a story mode). This means that if he WERE a stage hazard, it would be very similar to the yellow devil stage situation which would detract from the uniqueness of both stages and we all know how Sakurai loves keeping things as fresh as possible...

3) The play on words to build hype. The text "Other boss character appearances" and Sakurai's quote of "Boss characters make appearances in other stages...not just this one." The biggest thing that Ridley detractors overlook is that these phrases are very vague and open to interpretation. Sakurai could very well be referring to PLAYABLE boss characters and not just "boss character stage hazards." Bowser and Ganondorf are both "boss characters" and they too make appearances in other stages! The vagueness of the statement leaves it an exciting mystery for players to speculate about.

4) This is one of the more interesting things I noticed and lead me to a conclusion about the whole boss character clip. Take another look at it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb35vh33Mb8#t=56

Notice how Ridley's shadow moves at the end there. The shadow flaps to the center of the stage...remains idle for a couple of seconds, flaps to the left...and then at the very last second starts moving to the right again. Think about all the boss fights you have ever played throughout your video game careers. Have you EVER seen a boss that moves in such a manner? What I'm getting at is that Ridley's shadow appears to lack purpose (for lack of a better phrase). There is no attack or sudden movement. It moves for a bit...sits there (in what appears to be an IDLE animation)...and then moves some more back towards where it came from originally. Imagine how silly any other boss from any game would look doing this. This shadow looks like it is being controlled.

My hypothesis is that what we are seeing in that clip is in fact, Ridley's final smash. This final smash causes Ridley to become larger in size, utilize new attacks and gain the ability to fly freely similar to how Sonic, Diddy kong, and Yoshi all could in brawl. It would explain why the shadow is so large and it would explain why he is able to just hover in the air for what seems like an indefinite amount of time. I think all of this will be revealed at E3.

That's my theory and If I haven't convinced you of anything then I hope that I at least provided you with some new food for thought.
In all seriousness, I think the biggest piece of evidence is this here. http://i.imgur.com/NRQaBdp.jpg

That link, while people will call it non-evidence for whatever reasons they have, is a comparison between Ridley's shadow from the direct, Pikachu from the same angle in the direct, Bowser, and Bowser's own shadow on Pyrosphere. Not only can he be scaled down, but he has definitely been significantly been scaled down from his previous size, which was over twice Bowser's size and much more comparable to that of Yellow Devil. It may not be evidence of playability, but this has to be the biggest question worth asking right here.

We had Ridley as a boss on a very similarly sized stage with a significantly larger size. So why would they take Ridley and make him a player-sized boss on such an expansive stage? It even has platforms, which a boss would clip through and a player could use to dodge their already avoidable attacks. Unless of course, the boss were akin to the weird versions of playable characters found in every Smash game to date. But for that to be true, Ridley would have to kind of be... You know.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Thanks for the extended analysis, although I think these issues have been covered already. :p Still, its a pretty good recap.

I'm open to the possibility of Ridley NOT being playable, but I really do think he is and as far as I'm concerned the evidence points to it, not against it.

Top Bottom