• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Here's a random thought to entertain you. What would be more probable, playable or unplayable Ridley, supposing his status wouldn't be revealed at E3?
Playable, but unlockable. Mainly because all evidence points towards the fact that with Ridley's proportions and appearance, he'd be a really ****ty boss.
It's much more understandable that they'd spend all this time working on a playable character's appearance than a boss.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Here's a random thought to entertain you. What would be more probable, playable or unplayable Ridley, supposing his status wouldn't be revealed at E3?
I doubt they will keep Ridley's status hidden. The only way I can see that happening is if Pyrosphere isn't included in the demo. And it seems pretty weird to exclude a stage we've known for such a long time.

But to answer your question: if Ridley isn't shown during E3, I'm going to assume he's unlockable.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well the new stage is gorgeous and yep does remind me of the melee intro.

(Maybe its the same place)

Anyway just 1 more picture and ridley survives to E3

And ridleys shadow hinted and still never shown again till tuesday thats a sign of playable too me.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
In all seriousness, I think the biggest piece of evidence is this here. http://i.imgur.com/NRQaBdp.jpg

That link, while people will call it non-evidence for whatever reasons they have, is a comparison between Ridley's shadow from the direct, Pikachu from the same angle in the direct, Bowser, and Bowser's own shadow on Pyrosphere. Not only can he be scaled down, but he has definitely been significantly been scaled down from his previous size, which was over twice Bowser's size and much more comparable to that of Yellow Devil. It may not be evidence of playability, but this has to be the biggest question worth asking right here.

We had Ridley as a boss on a very similarly sized stage with a significantly larger size. So why would they take Ridley and make him a player-sized boss on such an expansive stage? It even has platforms, which a boss would clip through and a player could use to dodge their already avoidable attacks. Unless of course, the boss were akin to the weird versions of playable characters found in every Smash game to date. But for that to be true, Ridley would have to kind of be... You know.
Playing Devil's Advocate, but that Ridley shadow, based on the shape of the arms (They look like just the forearms), looks hunched over.

But as you said, he'd still be a tiny-as-hell boss, if he's that small balled-up.

I'll try tracing a more splayed-out picture of Ridley later in the day.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Well the new stage is gorgeous and yep does remind me of the melee intro.

(Maybe its the same place)

Anyway just 1 more picture and ridley survives to E3

And ridleys shadow hinted and still never shown again till tuesday thats a sign of playable too me.
2 actually. Isabelle was deconfirmed on the day of the direct (not that I care).

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
4 days until the big day, right? I don't even know anymore.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I dreamt a few days ago that Ridley was revealed at E3 as a playable character, but he had Arbok's head for whatever reason. Everyone's reaction in this thread was pretty much just "Okay..."
It's been a while since the last time I laughed so hard

Exegguter

Smash Lord
There's one thing that's still bothering me before I'm clear of doubt.

That one Potd showing the hole on pyrosphere that leads to ''an empty space.'' Was sakurai hinting that that's the hole ridley's comming from when he'll appear as a stagehazard?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
There's one thing that's still bothering me before I'm clear of doubt.

That one Potd showing the hole on pyrosphere that leads to ''an empty space.'' Was sakurai hinting that that's the hole ridley's comming from when he'll appear as a stagehazard?
no, that's where the stalkers from this thread hide

No, I've just been stalking y'all.
see?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I think we can rest easy until E3 by this point. Even if Sakurai, for whatever reason, is hyping up Ridley as a stage hazard, there's no way he'd fully reveal him as such the day or hours before the big show considering how much buildup he's put into it.

Reila

Man, this thread is slow today. I went to sleep, I am back and I can still see my post right above.

So, don't you guys think Sakurai showing a stage with a dragon in the background, in the week before the Direct, is a bit suspicious? :p

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Man, this thread is slow today. I went to sleep, I am back and I can still see my post right above.

So, don't you guys think Sakurai showing a stage with a dragon in the background, in the week before the Direct, is a bit suspicious? :p
I think any Ridley connections made from pic-of-the-days are just reaching at this point.

The damage was done at the Direct. There's no more need to tease Ridley when everyone thinks he's a boss.

Seriously though, we don't NEED to associate Ridley with every pic when we have evidence enough of his playability.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Madness. Of course we do, that is our job as supporters. :laugh:
I once adopted a persona of a mad cult leader seeking to bring people into the glory of Playabley by not believing the filthy infidel lives of Bossley.

I wonder if I should do that again, or if people would just be pissed off at Ridley because of the behavior of his supporters.

Reila

I wonder if I should do that again, or if people would just be pissed off at Ridley because of the behavior of his supporters.
To be honest, at this point, people are either supporting Ridley or pissed at the character and mainly at his supporters. It can't be helped.

We shouldn't try to annoy people even further... yet. Lets wait for his confirmation first. :denzel:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Let's just all agree not to go ape if Sakurai pulls the troll card on us and shows off a boss Ridley first, all right? I still say we're gonna get both.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
Let's just all agree not to go ape if Sakurai pulls the troll card on us and shows off a boss Ridley first, all right? I still say we're gonna get both.
What if they show a different Ridley than the one that was shown in the Direct? The only way we would know is by the tail. I would lose it on here.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
....no one took the Rhedogian idea seriously?

Maybe I didn't use enough of a serious tone;

Compare the shadow to the Rhedogian. It flies, it has a tail tip like Ridley's (more importantly, like the tip we see in the Direct), it's a recurring boss in Other M, and is fought in the Pyrosphere at one point (not in the power plant, but still).
We could be potentially looking at a fake-out here.
Does it fly? I ask this because I haven't actually played through Other M.

Either way, I still believe that shadow is most definitely Ridley's.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@GoldenYuiitusin
I have to agree with Armless here. I'm fairly convinced it's Ridley's shadow. Definitely an interesting theory with some merit, but I think people are going to be having trouble following trains of thought very well with their brains boiling with E3 hype.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Whilst getting both Boss Ridley and Playable Ridley is a possible outcome, it makes me wonder what's the point in having a lava hazard on top as well (assuming it is, considering lava's missing in Pyrosphere FD). Having a boss hazard and lava hazard seems a bit much for a stage, especially since stages with Boss Characters as Stage Hazards, like Dr. Wily's stage (Yellow Devil, you can fight and defeat it) and Find Mii stage (Dark Emperor, you might be able to fight and defeat it), seem to only have 1 hazard each. Other stages with Boss characters have them causing the hazards, like Gerudo Valley's Twinrova and Mushroom Kingdom U's Kamek, without them the stages would be plain. Twinrova seems to cause fires (possibly icing up the place as well), and make the bridge collapse. Meanwhile with Kamek, he changes the scenery of the stage, so one example is that he changes the stage from the grass world to the seaworld (or whatever it is) and makes those Urchin creatures (spiked purple things) pop up from below. There are possibly other elements from New Super Mario Bros. U that haven't been mentioned or shown yet for that stage.

Note that, from what we've seen so far, the boss characters that are the hazards (that you can fight/may be able to fight) appear on stages when there's no platforms visible, but boss characters that cause hazards appear regardless of whether there's platforms or not. From the screenshots that we've seen so far in pictures, the platforms on Pyrosphere don't seem to have moved, so do they actually move or are they fixed? If they don't move, Ridley might clip through them, which isn't good for a boss to do. With proper bosses in past games (Master Hand, Crazy Hand, bosses in Sub Space Emissary), they've been on flat stages with no platforms. So having Ridley being the only boss to appear on a stage with platforms (that don't move for the fight), seems a bit odd and inconsistent. It also makes me think why turn off the lava and lava spores, and change those purple things for Pyrosphere FD, if they're just there to make the place look pretty and have little/no purpose, whilst "Boss-ly" is the only hazard for it.

Without Sakurai explaining the Pyrosphere stage and its Final Destination counterpart in full, we're still left in the dark. And the longer he keeps this going, the worse the conflict and tensions will be between the two sides. Announcing Ridley as a boss hazard and the lava is just nothing (at a big event), despite evidence of it being removed in the FD version, after all this time, would just be... well... awful... I know I seem to be like repeating things, but it just annoys me that if Sakurai chose Boss-ly as the hazard, that he has kept it all this time from us. Rather than telling us and letting us down quick and easy, like with de-confirmed characters, he ends up humiliating us at a big event. Yes, promoting a new mechanic's all fine and good, but don't wait so long to reveal something that will easily let fans down and get disappointed with, but at the same time allow haters of that character to ridicule the supporters for getting their hope up. Hopefully at E3, he'll state Ridley's playable, and the lava is the actual stage hazard.

Seriously, how can you hype up a character with a boss hazard role, so much when you know that the character's fans want that character as playable... ._.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Holy crap you scared me for a moment.

Anyways, where is that? It doesn't look like it's from Fire Emblem Awakening. Is it from the Akaneia games?
It's a design which pays respect to the Arena maps in general in the FE franchise, Arenas were present in essentially all of the FE games until PoR and onwards (meaning they were not in Awakening). So this map isn't from any one particular game, but rather is a representation of all of the older, "classic" FE titles where you could not go back to maps from previous chapters to summon monsters and farm experience points (like you can in Awakening with the Reeking Boxes). Thus you really had to commit to certain units because you could not, for example, neglect units and then late in the game go back and level them up as the story and difficulty progressed from chapter to chapter with no chance to go back to old maps. (with Sacred Stones being the first exception in that it was open-world). A good example is in Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken, where for the most part decent quality weapons and magic had to be purchased in shops on the map during the chapter itself (not in between chapters). So in the game chapter 31x was entitled "Battle Preparations" where the player was given 30,000 gold and 5 turns to restock items and train units in a town with no enemies and 4 armories (physical weapons), 2 shops (magic weapons, items), an Arena and a house, all there to prepare for the final few chapters of the game.
In summary, the Arena was an additional way to gain experience for some of your fighters aside from fighting the story enemies in many of the older games.

On Topic: Some of you might remember the moveset that @ZanZero posted a little while back, we are currently working on tweaking and essentially revamping the moveset and hope to have it posted (at least I do) before E3, just a little something Ridley related for some of you to maybe look forward to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reila

I am thinking Sakurai might have announced this stage today because it will be present in the newcomer(s) trailer in the Direct. Maybe the idea of the Fire Emblem newcomer be fighting against Ridley in the trailer (emulating the classic knight vs dragon combat) will become a thing. It is not my favorite scenario for Ridley's debut, but hey, I will take what I can get.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
If he is confirmed we need to come up with a religion for Ridley. I propose Ridleyanity
Personally, I prefer Ridleyism.

I once adopted a persona of a mad cult leader seeking to bring people into the glory of Playabley by not believing the filthy infidel lives of Bossley.
How well did that work out?:troll:

C'MON BLUE FAL- I MEAN LUCKY 777 PAGES!

Ragingtsunami726

Smash Cadet
Man **** I told myself I wouldn't get all worked up about Ridley, that I wasn't gonna be cocky about it or anything.

Four days till E3 and I'm confident we're going to see him (but oh man, if we don't I'll feel a unique sense of disappointment I haven't felt in over six years)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If Ridley makes absolutely no appearance at E3 (trailers, stages, what have you), whatsoever, I think we may have actually won this thing.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
How? I'm curious
It'd be incredibly easy to show a passing clip of Ridley attacking the fighters on Pyrosphere during any trailers we get, or even in another "WOW LOOK HOW COOL THESE BOSSES* ARE" clip. There are a billion opportunities for Sakurai to casually deconfirm Mr. Scott like he did (or tried to, I guess) during the Direct.

*glorified stage hazards

We'll likely be seeing a LOT of footage at the expo, so I fully expect Bossley to be shown without a second thought. If we seriously go the entirety of E3 without seeing him, I may actually be convinced he's playable. Which is saying something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom