• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
I threw the Dark Emperor in there and it becomes a little ambiguous. But it basically boils down to: Ridley is either the biggest character or the smallest boss.

EDIT: Yeh, but I was just curious. And there are a number of ratio assumptions going on, but basically what it boils down to is at his tallest Ridley is a little bigger than Bowser and smaller than Yellow Devil AND the Dark Emperor. And... that's really all it says, but it probably means something to someone :p

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't bother too much with comparing them. Yellow Devil has always been huge in the Megaman games. Though I will say he does look just a smidge smaller than he usually is.

At least Ridley is getting his protein.
I wouldn't be too surprised if Ridley were to do this.... Curious, did Ridley ever get to see that Robot Ridley the Space Pirates made for him?
I though that Ridley made that robot by himself.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I though that Ridley made that robot by himself.
That was my understanding too. That he made Mecha-Ridley, but the Space Pirates were responsible for his mechanical enhancements on his own body.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Bah, one of the few times I take the word of someone else without looking into it, and it's wrong. Blah. Yeah it was made by Ridley.

I never thought Ridley would be so narcissistic....
I always thought that Ridley was looking at his reflection in the mirror while he was on the drawing board planning the concept....

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well if the Metroid Community is any indication, between the two of his species we've seen Ridley is the most attractive. :troll:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Well if the Metroid Community is any indication, between the two of his species we've seen Ridley is the most attractive. :troll:
Inb4 more maid costumes and bikinis. Inb4 dat long sexy Ridley tongue must be great for french kissing.
The question is, besides Samus, who would Ridley date in the Nintendo Universe?

Do you think it'd be possible for the Robot Ridley to be a boss, while Other M Ridley (maybe with alt costumes) to be playable? I don't see Robot Ridley getting in, but it's just a thought.

D

Deleted member

Fine, I get it, DK and CK, who are separate characters, can't be compared to the Toon Links and the Ridleys, who are technically the same beings in different bodies. But hey.

If an incarnation of Toon Link can be playable while the other is a stage element, why can't the same apply for Ridley? (inb4 "Alfonzo doesn't have a Metroid counterpart")

I mean, I'm probably missing something dreadfully obvious here and I may be making a fool out of myself right now, but that's what I'm getting from your message.
If Ridley was just a background character for the stage (like back on Planet Zebes for Smash 64), then it there's no issue. But from what was stated, he's a boss for the stage. He's far more integral to it to the point that a replacement would be rather bizarre.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I am entirely convinced that we're either getting playable Other Ridley or boss Other Ridley.

But a Mecha Ridley boss would definitely be cool.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
If Ridley was just a background character for the stage (like back on Planet Zebes for Smash 64), then it there's no issue. But from what was stated, he's a boss for the stage. He's far more integral to it to the point that a replacement would be rather bizarre.
Then again, I don't really see the issue with having both Toon Links onscreen to begin with, and the same goes for the Ridleys. But that's just me. I don't know what are Sakurai's thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
He's probably just worried about confusion from people who don't know the different Links. Though that would make a bit less sense in regards to Ridley since his variants look much different than do different Links.

D

Deleted member

Then again, I don't really see the issue with having both Toon Links onscreen to begin with, and the same goes for the Ridleys. But that's just me. I don't know what are Sakurai's thoughts on the matter.
Sakurai seems to be avoiding having the background Link and the player Link at the same time, so logically, he probably would want to avoid a player Ridley and a boss Ridley at the same time.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Considering it's not that uncommon to have character dittos when fighting it is strange....... I just hope we always get to use character dittos, cause it sucks whenever a game forces you to be different from the other person you're playing against.

Perhaps the conductor Toon Link is an alt skin for Toon Link? That's the only thing I can really think of off the top of my head.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It does seem kind of strange that he would flat out deconfirm some characters and then not even show boss Ridley.
I mean he could have totally showed Ridley off fully and completely deconfirmed him.
(Like he did Saki:c)

majora_787

Smash Hero
It does seem kind of strange that he would flat out deconfirm some characters and then not even show boss Ridley.
I mean he could have totally showed Ridley off fully and completely deconfirmed him.
(Like he did Saki:c)
That's what he did in Brawl, even. Twice. But not here. Instead he is teasing literally nobody except for Ridley in an ambiguous way. And Palutena is much less ambiguous, since Ridley is more like:

"He might be playable! Orrrr he might be a boss! Well I mean he's obviously a BOSS but is he a BOSS? or is he a PLAYABLE boss. WHO KNOWS!"

and Palutena is more like: "Is Paluena in? Who knows! Buy the game and find out!"

But they're both just really unusual on Sakurai's part to be like this.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Agreed. I've always said that I don't want to fall into delusion or denial, and official word or image is all it would take to get me to stop talking about how much I want any of my newcomers, but Ridley just literally has not been flat-out confirmed to not be a playable character.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Agreed. I've always said that I don't want to fall into delusion or denial, and official word or image is all it would take to get me to stop talking about how much I want any of my newcomers, but Ridley just literally has not been flat-out confirmed to not be a playable character.
Implications are everywhere and nobody knows anything anymore, and Sakurai is (laugh)ing as the world burns.

Just another day in the Smash community.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
By the way to point something out

Nobody is allowed to ridley is deconfirmed if he is not shown at E3 (playable nor hazard boss)

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I wish this hazard-boss thingy would just end up being some sort of Mecha Other M Ridley or something. In hindsight it would then make sense for it to be mostly concealed since it would all but confirm the actual non-mecha variety.
Alas, only a pipe dream.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Despite Other M's design for the character being inferior (to put it gently) to Brawl's/Super Metroid's...I think it's that design that could give us a playable Ridley. In Other M, he's much more upright and built in a more human shape. If the devs really did have issue with the character design being too big, then this model should be easier for them to scale down and thus they may be more willing to add him to the roster. Now, I would much prefer the Brawl design but I don't think it's likely.

Honestly, I think the best possible design for him as a playable character would be one that closely resembles his cameo in the Melee intro. He was hardly bigger than Samus, upright and looking like a "walking" character, and still designed like the classic Ridley.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Wow I go away for one day and this forum has jumped ahead 30 pages, just wow.

But on a more serious note I still want Ridley to be in and I am going to be cheering him on all the way, but I'm not sure if about anything anymore. With what all Sakuri has been doing I have no idea what he is planning with this game, because with the inclusion of Greninja I have no idea what the requirements for a character is anymore.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wow I go away for one day and this forum has jumped ahead 30 pages, just wow.

But on a more serious note I still want Ridley to be in and I am going to be cheering him on all the way, but I'm not sure if about anything anymore. With what all Sakuri has been doing I have no idea what he is planning with this game, because with the inclusion of Greninja I have no idea what the requirements for a character is anymore.
It's the tongue. And Ridley can build a robot of himself, so he has to have a tongue that qualifies, right?

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
So I haven't posted here since the direct, and I thought I'd give my thoughts. I still have hope, but I'm beginning to doubt it now. I think we could still get Super Metroid Ridley, but I'm unsure at this point. For now I'm going to support Ridley for Project M, but if we get him in Smash 4 that'd be great. I'm still going to be around this thread however, as I still cherish some fond memories here.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Guys, one goal I had in mind in case Ridley (and K. Rool) is disconfirmed is to seek out whatever journalists may be interviewing Sakurai post-release, and to ask them to bring up the character(s) in a question like Nintendo Power did. There's no downside; we get some form of answer, the character(s) get shoved in his face again as a reminder that we still want them and he chose not to add them, and we have something, positive or negative, to rally around again, as well as to provide new topics of discussion.

Groose

Smash Champion
Guys, one goal I had in mind in case Ridley (and K. Rool) is disconfirmed is to seek out whatever journalists may be interviewing Sakurai post-release, and to ask them to bring up the character(s) in a question like Nintendo Power did. There's no downside; we get some form of answer, the character(s) get shoved in his face again as a reminder that we still want them and he chose not to add them, and we have something, positive or negative, to rally around again, as well as to provide new topics of discussion.
You can ask Shokio. He'll be at E3 this year, and he may get a chance to talk to Sakurai.

In all seriousness, though, great idea. Hopefully we won't get another "impossible" type comment. Sorry to say I don't have any serious suggestions as to what journalists to ask.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
You can ask Shokio. He'll be at E3 this year, and he may get a chance to talk to Sakurai.

In all seriousness, though, great idea. Hopefully we won't get another "impossible" type comment. Sorry to say I don't have any serious suggestions as to what journalists to ask.
Well, I'll be there too, so I'll be sure to find Shokio and punch him in the gut for all of us! :awesome: I wouldn't be able to talk to Sakurai himself though...
Wait...why the heck is Shokio going to E3? Oh, whatever, I don't care.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
One of my COWORKERS said Ridley is too big and I told him to shut his dirty maintenance mouth and go clean up some poop because I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANOTHER WORD.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well one question at the E3 if ridley gets confirmed playable is

Why did you show ridley at the direct?
The same reason he said Zero Suit Samus would not be participating in this iteration of Smash Bros.

On another note, the RTC thread is doing Ridley today. I think it'll be interesting to see what everyone seems to think of Ridley's chances now, especially since the issue is so divided. Who knows, maybe we'll learn something.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The same reason he said Zero Suit Samus would not be participating in this iteration of Smash Bros.

On another note, the RTC thread is doing Ridley today. I think it'll be interesting to see what everyone seems to think of Ridley's chances now, especially since the issue is so divided. Who knows, maybe we'll learn something.
I saw it and wow despite all of the evidence we all found (who still think he's in right now) they are all down graded to nearly 10% but the other half is 50% I went with 60% chance

Top Bottom