• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I'm kind of blind but i do not see any of the similarities in that shadow with the Original Ridley....it looks like Roidley...i do not see any changes on the model...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This guys last point is a pretty good one imo everything is based of Other M so if Ridley is a boss on Pyrosphere why have him have a Hybrid design like all playable chars do?

And before you bring up Brawl Ridley is based of SM Ridley right? SM Ridley never had a 3D Design before and Other M came out after Brawl.

Plus there has ben People saying it looks like Meta Ridley which i disagree but it could be a re design but why just for a boss.....has classic two toes not 3 like Roidley.

View attachment 12151
I've seen that comment before... Now where was it...

That toe thing is interesting, although that might be hard to verify considering the difficulty of analyzing a shadow.

AndreaAC

size compare-ridley.png

can someone please point out the similarities between the shadow of Roidley and the Original one? like i said i have a poor sight

majora_787

Smash Hero
View attachment 12152

can someone please point out the similarities between the shadow of Roidley and the Original one? like i said i have a poor sight
It would be all about posture. However as you can tell, Roidley has a shorter/longer head, a more knife-like tail as opposed to a spear-like one, much larger wings proportionately, and GENERALLY thicker limbs. However it seems that the Roidley present on the Prysophere is a little skinnier than normal, so it appears to possibly be a hybrid. However it definitely has Roidley's head, tail, and wingspan.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
View attachment 12152

This quote should explain your question

Alright. As mentioned on the last page, here's my interpretation of the footage.

First off...
It's definitely Other M Ridley. Besides the tail spike, some other noteworthy features.

The spikes on his arms seen right around when Ridley's shadow appears, (pardon the really crude outline)

and his notorious duck bill face, a little further into the video.

Now the interesting part people have started pointing out.
Ridley is grabbing Pikachu.

Can't see it?
I'll slow it down a little...

Pause #1: Ridley's grab animation begins; he reaches out with a massive hand to the out of screen Pikachu.
Pause #2: Ridley hoists Pikachu in his hands. To me, it looks like he's placing Pikachu in his feet, like how an eagle grabs its prey. Still hard to make out what's going on here.
Pause #3: A full-body shot of Ridley and Pikachu.

Lastly, after a few seconds of grab animation, Pikachu breaks free of Ridley's grasp, like any fighter does when grabbed for too long and not thrown. It's only a few frames long, so it can be hard to miss, but it's right before Ridley resumes flying across the stage. Pikachu's tail is outlined in yellow.

It's not much, but it does raise one interesting question to me. Boss grabs (Master Hand, Crazy Hand, even Tabuu's whip) all activate an attack animation where they squeeze/pummel the opponent. Here, Ridley is very clearly holding Pikachu but not doing anything other than flying idle, swaying back and forth for several seconds. Why?
...Also, why is Ridley only shown as a shadow?

Curse you all for giving me hope.

AndreaAC

It would be all about posture. However as you can tell, Roidley has a shorter/longer head, a more knife-like tail as opposed to a spear-like one, much larger wings proportionately, and GENERALLY thicker limbs. However it seems that the Roidley present on the Prysophere is a little skinnier than normal, so it appears to possibly be a hybrid. However it definitely has Roidley's head, tail, and wingspan.
oh, thank you! hmm...a hybrid? do not want....maybe the Original Ridley with more brilliant colored textures...but not a hybrid with Roidley....

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Right before the direct he said everything we see is still in development and subject to change. Which is why we saw a debug menu and some characters using their Brawl artwork. Not everything is done yet.

Again, basic logic.
Well, okay, I'll give you that. But since it's been, what, half a year since the reveal of Pyrosphere, you'd assume that what appears to be the main hazard in the stage should have been completed, let alone being shown at all. How much sense does it make to be teasing a potential feature in a stage for six month, and when they finally decide to show it, they don't show it completely because it's still on a development stage? I mean, if it's still not finished, why show it to the public at all?

#BasicLogic

I'm not really liking this logic.

In the case of the DKs, they really are two different characters. They're grandfather and grandson, with the grandfather going by a different moniker after the grandson comes into existence.
All Links are the same being; they are merely reincarnations whenever the world needs the Spirit of the Hero. That being said, ST Link and WW are different incarnations, but they are the same being.

Other M Ridley is a clone of the late, original Ridley. Not only that, but he's treated as a direct rebirth of the original, especially with the fact he retains his memories of Samus.
Fine, I get it, DK and CK, who are separate characters, can't be compared to the Toon Links and the Ridleys, who are technically the same beings in different bodies. But hey.

If an incarnation of Toon Link can be playable while the other is a stage element, why can't the same apply for Ridley? (inb4 "Alfonzo doesn't have a Metroid counterpart")

I mean, I'm probably missing something dreadfully obvious here and I may be making a fool out of myself right now, but that's what I'm getting from your message.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Alright. As mentioned on the last page, here's my interpretation of the footage.

First off...
It's definitely Other M Ridley. Besides the tail spike, some other noteworthy features.

The spikes on his arms seen right around when Ridley's shadow appears, (pardon the really crude outline)

and his notorious duck bill face, a little further into the video.

Now the interesting part people have started pointing out.
Ridley is grabbing Pikachu.

Can't see it?
I'll slow it down a little...

Pause #1: Ridley's grab animation begins; he reaches out with a massive hand to the out of screen Pikachu.
Pause #2: Ridley hoists Pikachu in his hands. To me, it looks like he's placing Pikachu in his feet, like how an eagle grabs its prey. Still hard to make out what's going on here.
Pause #3: A full-body shot of Ridley and Pikachu.

Lastly, after a few seconds of grab animation, Pikachu breaks free of Ridley's grasp, like any fighter does when grabbed for too long and not thrown. It's only a few frames long, so it can be hard to miss, but it's right before Ridley resumes flying across the stage. Pikachu's tail is outlined in yellow.

It's not much, but it does raise one interesting question to me. Boss grabs (Master Hand, Crazy Hand, even Tabuu's whip) all activate an attack animation where they squeeze/pummel the opponent. Here, Ridley is very clearly holding Pikachu but not doing anything other than flying idle, swaying back and forth for several seconds. Why?
...Also, why is Ridley only shown as a shadow?

Curse you all for giving me hope.
Hum...

I wonder does ridley grabs samus in this fashion in other m? it seems weird.

majora_787

Smash Hero
He does what he did in the Subspace Emissary. Grabs her and flies her up for a wall scraping. Nothing like what is going on in the direct's footage.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
He does what he did in the Subspace Emissary. Grabs her and flies her up for a wall scraping. Nothing like what is going on in the direct's footage.
so, I take it as another fishy evidence isn't that weird how he's doing this? like I would expect to rep him, as an hazard, to act like his game.

Last edited:

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
If Ridley is a stage boss then he would have to be his accurate size right? Then explain to me why he is carrying pikachu by two arms when he grabbed samus in one palm in Other M and Brawl.

Last edited:

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This guys last point is a pretty good one imo everything is based of Other M so if Ridley is a boss on Pyrosphere why have him have a Hybrid design like all playable chars do?

And before you bring up Brawl Ridley is based of SM Ridley right? SM Ridley never had a 3D Design before and Other M came out after Brawl.

Plus there has ben People saying it looks like Meta Ridley which i disagree but it could be a re design but why just for a boss.....has classic two toes not 3 like Roidley.

View attachment 12151
Yea that one I caught I think he had 3 toes compaired to the 4 on other M ridley

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Grabbing people with his feet like a damn bird is stupid and wasted potential. It dosent make any sense cause he has those hulking arms to use.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
OH YEAH, I also see that they changed his toes…

A few days ago I thought it was over for Ridley, but now I'm slowly being convinced that he's definitely playable…
One of us! One of us!

Grabbing people with his feet like a damn bird is stupid and wasted potential. It dosent make any sense cause he has those hulking arms to use.
Well, he has had a precedent of using his feet to grab things...

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
:laugh:
I love it when Roidley has big "What's happening!?!?" eyes !

To me it looked like he grabbed Pikachu with his foot, like in Super Metroid...
I meant that he grabs Samus in Brawl and in Other M with his hand for scraping.

I actually think Ridley is doing the "baby metroid foot carry" too.

EDIT: Also, it's not necessarily required that they have Ridley be big for a boss appearance, since if he is a boss he is most likely to be a boss with a lava stage hazard. But this all just adds up to "weird".

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, he has had a precedent of using his feet to grab things...
that's the problem here assuming other m ridley is an hazard, why would he have a move from the one in sm? also why in other m he doesn't do that and he would has an hazard? think about it other m stage, other m ridley, place in other m when you fight ridley so why not behaving like other m ridley?

Neighbor_Kid

Smash Cadet
I can understand Ridley picking up smaller characters with his foot.

...but what happens when Ridley grabs a larger character like Dedede or Bowser?

Last edited:

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
I would like to add (I am sorry if anybody has mentioned this yet), that after watching the clip of ridley's shadow a couple times, I think I can confirm that those are the wings of ridley from other m. I checked the artwork and models of all the ridleys and only other m ridley has spikes on the bottom of his wings.
In all his other models his wing membranes connect directly to the tips of his wing 'fingers'.
If you watch the part where the shadow of ridley's wings can be seen I think you will know what I mean, as it is kind of hard to explain.

Again, sorry if this was already mentioned.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I would like to add (I am sorry if anybody has mentioned this yet), that after watching the clip of ridley's shadow a couple times, I think I can confirm that those are the wings of ridley from other m. I checked the artwork and models of all the ridleys and only other m ridley has spikes on the bottom of his wings.
In all his other models his wing membranes connect directly to the tips of his wing 'fingers'.
If you watch the part where the shadow of ridley's wings can be seen I think you will know what I mean, as it is kind of hard to explain.

Again, sorry if this was already mentioned.
Yes. Other M Ridley has a very significant wingspan, as this one does. I would wager that his wingspan makes his shadow appear to cover 2-3 times more area than it really does. And yes, it probably would look weird if Ridley was carrying large characters. Especially as a boss. But if he's a really small boss he's a really small boss and it's just going to have to look weird I guess.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The fact that Charizard now is a stand alone character, is a bit worrying.
It's like "Sorry, we didn't make Ridley playable - here, take Charizard instead".

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I think that Sakurai just want to troll as usual; ... I have the feeling that, the perfect opportunity to show Ridley as a playable character is when nobody is expecting him,.. not even his fans, whose had already the hopes potentially crushed in the last Direct.
So, ...I'm still waiting for something more concrete to really finish with the Ridley hopes for Smash4

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I can understand Ridley picking up smaller characters with his foot.

...but what happens when Ridley grabs a larger character like Dedede or Bowser?
Easy this but with 2 hands

And as for the foot grab he use both feet for a heavy character

( I think he grabs the character with his hand(s) and pressing Foward throw he places them in his foot(feet) like donkey kongs Foward throw)

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Or two feet. :p While Bowser / Dedede / Donkey Kong flail helplessly with an awkward expression on their face.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think I found a good size comparison with other m other m ridley
With smash bros wii u other m ridley hope this helps

The smash brothers one looks smaller easily

It's the pillar is whats the key ridley is as tall as it in other m but estimating the shadow size hes may not be as tall as the pillar

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
We'd have to be assuming the pyrospheres are the same size. It would depend on proportions. If Ridley is only a little wider than bowser then we would have to determine his height somehow or anther. I could probably guesstimate it here and see what happens.

EDIT: I've got a picture cleaned up here to show what I mean roughly.

Assumptions being made:

1. Bowser and Donkey Kong are close to if not more or less equivalent in height.
2. Ridley's hunched / upright difference is the same in Other M as it is in Super Metroid (75% as tall when hunched)
3. Ridley is proportionate between width and height to how he is in Other M.

The first column is two Bowsers standing on top of each other.
The second column is Ridley's estimated "upright" height.
The third column is Ridley's estimated "crouching" height.
The fourth column is RIdley's measured height in Brawl, calculated compared to Bowser's height in this picture. It's not perfect but it gives some idea of what is going on.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
We'd have to be assuming the pyrospheres are the same size. It would depend on proportions. If Ridley is only a little wider than bowser then we would have to determine his height somehow or anther. I could probably guesstimate it here and see what happens.

EDIT: I've got a picture cleaned up here to show what I mean roughly.

Assumptions being made:

1. Bowser and Donkey Kong are close to if not more or less equivalent in height.
2. Ridley's hunched / upright difference is the same in Other M as it is in Super Metroid (75% as tall when hunched)
3. Ridley is proportionate between width and height to how he is in Other M.

The first column is two Bowsers standing on top of each other.
The second column is Ridley's estimated "upright" height.
The third column is Ridley's estimated "crouching" height.
The fourth column is RIdley's measured height in Brawl, calculated compared to Bowser's height in this picture. It's not perfect but it gives some idea of what is going on.
Well give or take 3 to 5 inches shorter or taller that's pretty close to what the shadow ridley size is

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I've actually been also trying to compare Yellow Devil in on this, and it appears Yellow Devil is a little taller and much wider than Other M Ridley is upright, since I believe Yellow Devil is slightly over twice as tall as Bowser while also being like two times as wide. Not sure what this all says, but it definitely says things.

AndreaAC

SCAN0147.JPG

Listening to Brinstar Depths give me the idea....and the fact that i was hungry...

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I've actually been also trying to compare Yellow Devil in on this, and it appears Yellow Devil is a little taller and much wider than Other M Ridley is upright, since I believe Yellow Devil is slightly over twice as tall as Bowser while also being like two times as wide. Not sure what this all says, but it definitely says things.
I wouldn't bother too much with comparing them. Yellow Devil has always been huge in the Megaman games. Though I will say he does look just a smidge smaller than he usually is.

View attachment 12168

Listening to Brinstar Depths give me the idea....and the fact that i was hungry...
At least Ridley is getting his protein.
I wouldn't be too surprised if Ridley were to do this.... Curious, did Ridley ever get to see that Robot Ridley the Space Pirates made for him?

Top Bottom