• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Well one question at the E3 if ridley gets confirmed playable is

Why did you show ridley at the direct?
Well thats obvious to throw us off his trail and hey he did a great job clearly... So many Ridley supporters jumped ship. Sakurai wants it to be a big surprise but he isn't fooling me. Sakurai knows Ridley is the most talked/debated character so he is just having alittle fun. To me 5 characters weren't revealed at that direct 6 were....

majora_787

Smash Hero
I wouldn't ask Shokio to find an answer for Ridley, he'd just say "It's because he's too big". Especially if size is 150% unrelated to the answer he gets. :B

Jokes aside though I know things aren't looking the best for Ridley, but 10%? Yikes, that's some superpessimism. :p

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
Well I apologize for giving Ridley such a low chance score, I have nothing against him (as my RTC want score shows), it's just that things aren't looking too good; however, I do feel this whole thing could be a giant troll move by Sakurai, so there's that. You could say I'm currently in "hope for the best, expect the worst" mode regarding Ridley.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Eh. Still it's just surprising to see people who would give him lower than 25% but still say they have hope left. Maybe my definition of an abysmally low chance is just different I dunno. xD

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
Yeah, you could say that. My definition of abysmally low is like 5% or less. 10% to me is you have a small sliver of hope.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
4%.

Also I dunno who was going on about how Zamus is still based on her Zero Mission design, but that is pretty clearly wrong.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I mean I give Ridley like 75% because I think Sakurai was full of some stuff the whole direct through but obviously that's just an unpopular opinion nowadays. :p

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
There's no way Sakurai doesn't know that Ridley is hugely wanted as a playable character in the West.

Sakurai has hundreds of people on his team in Japan and dozens at Nintendo of America, as well as personal friends, fans he meets in Japan and abroad, journalists, and others who read Smash forums, Miiverse, etc, and then relay this information to him.

It's ridiculous to think that he'd know that the West wanted Little Mac playable, but not Ridley. Ridley talk is, and has been, about 200x Little Mac talk.

Therefore, the argument that Sakurai thinks Ridley fans will be thrilled that he's a boss (and that's why he's been teasing Ridley so long) makes no sense.

Last edited:

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
My % for Ridley is indeterminate, because you can't predict anything that Sakurai does with this game at all.

Morbi

Scavenger
There's no way Sakurai doesn't know that Ridley is hugely wanted as a playable character in the West.

Sakurai has hundreds of people on his team in Japan and dozens at Nintendo of America, as well as personal friends, fans he meets in Japan and abroad, and others who read Smash forums, Miiverse, etc, and then relay this information to him.

It's ridiculous to think that he'd know that the West wanted Little Mac playable, but not Ridley. Ridley talk is, and has been, about 200x Little Mac talk.

Therefore, the argument that Sakurai thinks Ridley fans will be thrilled that he's a boss (and that's why he's been teasing Ridley so long) makes no sense.
Not only does the argument not make sense; it is quite literally counter-intuitive.

Zuba Oki

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys quick question. Other M Ridley or Roidley as some would call him. Is Roidley's adolescent and larval stages representative of what normal Ridley what look like in his larval and adolescent stages? If not what do you all think those stages would look like?

here's a reference for Roidley's stages

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hey guys quick question. Other M Ridley or Roidley as some would call him. Is Roidley's adolescent and larval stages representative of what normal Ridley what look like in his larval and adolescent stages? If not what do you all think those stages would look like?

MAAAYBE...or its just the same problem as with Jurassic Park`s dinosaurs.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

You know, for me, the Original (real) Ridley did not had that Evolutionary line....he matured like most dragons do, starts from a cute little one, grows up bit by bit, and ends up like the sexy anorexic one we all know and love...

010.gif

I mean, really, he is already unique enough, why they would give him a Xenomorph-like evolution line? i find it completely unnecessary.

Oh, yeah it would be necessary for Other M's "Mystery" plot, because you would never guess that a demonic furby would end up like a (duck-faced) dragon on steroids... freaking ingenious idea...:facepalm:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You know, for me, the Original (real) Ridley did not had that Evolutionary line....he matured like most dragons do, starts from a cute little one, grows up bit by bit, and ends up like the sexy anorexic one we all know and love...

View attachment 12205

I mean, really, he is already unique enough, why they would give him a Xenomorph-like evolution line? i find it completely unnecessary
Aw, look at that cute dragon...

And its more like Pokemon evolution line. By the way, Ridley is just xenomorph with wings, normal head and neck and more dragon-like limbs. Just look at this image:
This was made by using spinosaurus` and xenomorphs` parts

AndreaAC

Aw, look at that cute dragon...

And its more like Pokemon evolution line. By the way, Ridley is just xenomorph with wings, normal head and neck and more dragon-like limbs. Just look at this image:
This was made by using spinosaurus` and xenomorphs` parts
I know that it also was based from pokemon's 3 stages evolution, but the Xenomorph part is how it happens, that Roidley sheds off "shells"? from his back as it grows out from the inside...wich is really gross....and that realistic Ridley looks kind of creepy....no wonder why it says "childhood's fear"....

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I know that it also was based from pokemon's 3 stages evolution, but the Xenomorph part is how it happens, that Roidley sheds off "shells"? from his back as it grows out from the inside...wich is really gross....and that realistic Ridley looks kind of creepy....no wonder why it says "childhood's fear"....
Gross? And the husks/shells he sheds off has nothing to do with xenomorphs as far as i know since they do nothing like that other than burst out of ribcage/chest/stomach/whatever, but only once and i think roidley shed them off like butterfly does it...just with better looking shell...why it looks creepy? Its just xenomorph/spinosaurus/dragon hybrid...and still i would like it more that roidley...

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Gross? And the husks/shells he sheds off has nothing to do with xenomorphs as far as i know since they do nothing like that other than burst out of ribcage/chest/stomach/whatever, but only once and i think roidley shed them off like butterfly does it...just with better looking shell...why it looks creepy? Its just xenomorph/spinosaurus/dragon hybrid...and still i would like it more that roidley...
It was two times actually....
birdie.png

xD and yeah your are right, i would also like that realistic version over Roidley...

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

AndreaAC

I was talking about xenomorphs. Roidley did it 3 times actually if there is egg stage...but yeah, two times. Still looks kinda clean for a chestbuster-like shedding.
Oh ok, is just that i'm half asleep and i did not read it clearly.... :)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Warning Received
That's what he did in Brawl, even. Twice. But not here. Instead he is teasing literally nobody except for Ridley in an ambiguous way. And Palutena is much less ambiguous, since Ridley is more like:

"He might be playable! Orrrr he might be a boss! Well I mean he's obviously a BOSS but is he a BOSS? or is he a PLAYABLE boss. WHO KNOWS!"

and Palutena is more like: "Is Paluena in? Who knows! Buy the game and find out!"

But they're both just really unusual on Sakurai's part to be like this.
R.O.B and who was the other teased char?

443-444-445_8826.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm willing to bet this was Sakurai's master plan all along. Give a glimpse of the dragon in questionable settings to fool the masses into thinking he's out of the runnings, only to take everyone by complete surprise later.

That's my clinging hope anyway.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I wouldn't ask Shokio to find an answer for Ridley, he'd just say "It's because he's too big". Especially if size is 150% unrelated to the answer he gets. :B

Jokes aside though I know things aren't looking the best for Ridley, but 10%? Yikes, that's some superpessimism. :p
Oh shokio was lying all along he was messing with us he was getting everyone emotion his feelings are neutral on ridley

I knew the whole time ridley could be resized

By the way the picture of the day

Uhhhhh coincidence (charizard on the pyrosphere stage and greninjas SHADOW sneak attack)

And the party continues of messing with us

(A good start too no ridley in it now that we know he's in but as what boss or playable?)

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Oh shokio was lying all along he was messing with us he was getting everyone emotion his feelings are neutral on ridley

Uhhhhh coincidence (charizard on the pyrosphere stage and greninjas SHADOW sneak attack)

(A good start too no ridley in it now that we know he's in but as what boss or playable?)
I just keep thinking that Ridley's boss appearance will involve him flying in through that hole in the wall.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I don't think that Ridley evolves but not because I don't like it.

They cloned Ridley with what they found on Samus's suit right? I think somehow, multiple creatures were cloned, it started with some creatures being cloned into one, and then they both evolved into Ridley.
I'm no expert in Metroid canon, but this could explains why Ridley looks so different (as if he still kept a few elements from these creatures), and that Samus didn't see any threat coming from fluffy baby thingy, why?

Look:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120104214854/metroid/images/2/29/Trapped_animals.gif

Big ears, bird-like body.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I just keep thinking that Ridley's boss appearance will involve him flying in through that hole in the wall.
This brings up the suspicious thing point out early

The lava is not pouring out of the machine in the final destination version of it and the hole ridley made is still there

Hint for rising lava hazard maybe??

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

To be fair, this is the FD version of Pyrosphere. The Pyrosphere has long been used as a means to show off moveset differences, items, and more, pictures of it aren't really indicative of anything.

majora_787

Smash Hero
This brings up the suspicious thing point out early

The lava is not pouring out of the machine in the final destination version of it and the hole ridley made is still there

Hint for rising lava hazard maybe??
That's more than a hint. If it's removed, especially lava on a Metroid stage, it must have interacted with the stage somehow. Not that that really proves Ridley's not a boss. It just proves Ridley would be a boss you have to deal with on top of a lava hazard.

Also I seriously doubt Ridley somehow follows a different aging process than Roidley. If anything, I would imagine Ridley might have spent more time growing than Roidley did. But yeh, that doesn't really matter much since the real interesting part of Ridley's evolution is how he goes from being an aduld space dragon to "Meta Ridley", "Meta Ridley II", "Omega Ridley", and "Ridley Reborn". Meanwhile, Roidley, who people don't really like, becomes Ridley X which is the worst Ridley there has ever been. His resume isn't great. :p

And I don't know if Sakurai "knows" we don't like Other M Ridley or not. But I do know he is basing Metroid content off Other M. I mean he COULD be making a playable Ridley that looks intentionally out of place, OR it could be the reason he is redesigning Other M Ridley to be a sort of "hybrid design".

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
That's more than a hint. If it's removed, especially lava on a Metroid stage, it must have interacted with the stage somehow. Not that that really proves Ridley's not a boss. It just proves Ridley would be a boss you have to deal with on top of a lava hazard.

Also I seriously doubt Ridley somehow follows a different aging process than Roidley. If anything, I would imagine Ridley might have spent more time growing than Roidley did. But yeh, that doesn't really matter much since the real interesting part of Ridley's evolution is how he goes from being an aduld space dragon to "Meta Ridley", "Meta Ridley II", "Omega Ridley", and "Ridley Reborn". Meanwhile, Roidley, who people don't really like, becomes Ridley X which is the worst Ridley there has ever been. His resume isn't great. :p

And I don't know if Sakurai "knows" we don't like Other M Ridley or not. But I do know he is basing Metroid content off Other M. I mean he COULD be making a playable Ridley that looks intentionally out of place, OR it could be the reason he is redesigning Other M Ridley to be a sort of "hybrid design".
Well accually I took a closer look at today's pyrosphere picture it might be the final destination one and sadly the lava is turned on does it hurt lava rising

(Oooor it goes on and off signals of when to GET THE %#}^ TO THE PLATFORMS)

negativeX

Smash Apprentice
Eh. Still it's just surprising to see people who would give him lower than 25% but still say they have hope left. Maybe my definition of an abysmally low chance is just different I dunno. xD
Technically, his appearance would only be considered a "rare" appearance at below 5%, because that is beyond the second standard deviation. At 25% it is, however, beyond the first standard deviation which cuts off at 32%.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
It was two times actually....
View attachment 12206

xD and yeah your are right, i would also like that realistic version over Roidley...
It's specially bizarre considering that Teen Roidley could easily grow to become Roidley, by becoming bigger, sprout some wings and shed his protofeathers, instead of attaching to a wall, dislocate every joint in his body in the process and have a steroid addicted duck burst out of his back.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You can ask Shokio. He'll be at E3 this year, and he may get a chance to talk to Sakurai.

In all seriousness, though, great idea. Hopefully we won't get another "impossible" type comment. Sorry to say I don't have any serious suggestions as to what journalists to ask.
That guy feeds off of attention. I think this thread will understand if I don't give him more of it.

There was one journalist, the one who asked Sakurai if tripping was going to return, who took user submitted questions on his Twitter (which was how the tripping question got brought up). Maybe we can preemptively get ahold of him and see if he'll be doing a post-game interview as well?

Top Bottom