• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Warning Received
Ridley is a boss ... BUT WE HAVE ADOLESCENT RIDLEY PLAYABLE
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

... ok it's just too awful ...

Last edited by a moderator:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I think I see a platform's shadow.
pyro.jpg

Maybe, I'm looking too much into it.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
As I see the situation, Ridleys chances are low. Ridley has been hinted to be a stage element not once, but twice (Pyrosphere stage pic of the day comment suggested that Ridley might appear in the stage and the nintendo direct's hint was obviously hurting his chances). I wouldn't have minded Ridleys inclusion; he could have actually been quite unique and different choice.

At this point, if you still believe in Ridley, at least your psychological defense mechanisms are working.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
The pic shows the lava hazard, so it is not the Final Destination version...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, what's been going on here? I'm guessing things are a little less heated now? Maybe?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
No, because we still have lava.
i2VrwqRGixyLl.gif

Anyway, if by some chance, Ridley ends up being playable, I think I know which color swap I'm sticking to. I've grown to like the Zero Mission look more. Eh, I tend to like darker colors and stuff.

Now that I'm thinking of it, we should get Light Suit Samus too.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be fair, this is the FD version of Pyrosphere. The Pyrosphere has long been used as a means to show off moveset differences, items, and more, pictures of it aren't really indicative of anything.
Lava is there. So no, it's normal Pyrosphere.

AndreaAC

SCAN0149.JPG

"You don't know what to expect from that guy anymore...."

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Does anyone else find it painfully obvious Ridley will be playable? I'm actually shocked how many people are falling for the stage boss trick....Sakurai gave it away with the whole showing Ridley grab Pikachu amongst other factors. Sakurai has got everyone right where he wants them atleast the majority.

http://i.imgur.com/XpKGpy5.jpg

D

Deleted member

For a Metroid rep, it's either Ridley or none. Let's face it, which other Metroid character could be added? The 3 other important chars were confirmed as Assist Trophies

Morbi

Scavenger
For a Metroid rep, it's either Ridley or none. Let's face it, which other Metroid character could be added? The 3 other important chars were confirmed as Assist Trophies
Honestly; that mentality is perfectly logical, but you never know with Sakurai. I don't like saying that, I really don't. It is such a cop-out response, but in all actuality, he could see the potential in a character that no one cares about.

On the other hand, I am more than positive Ridley will be included as a playable character in this iteration.

AndreaAC

:3 you are totally right....and i love your signature! i always wanted to see Ridley in formal attire

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
A totally possible and not in anyway completely odd choice would be Kraid.
kraidzeromission.gif

Who's too big now?

D

Deleted member

A totally possible and not in anyway completely odd choice would be Kraid.View attachment 12229
Who's too big now?
I wouldn't mind Kraid, I mean, he is one of the Space Pirates leaders... AS LONG AS THEY ADD RIDLEY
:3 you are totally right....and i love your signature! i always wanted to see Ridley in formal attire
Is the picture even showing up? For me, it just shows the upper half

Morbi

Scavenger
Does anyone else find it painfully obvious Ridley will be playable? I'm actually shocked how many people are falling for the stage boss trick....Sakurai gave it away with the whole showing Ridley grab Pikachu amongst other factors. Sakurai has got everyone right where he wants them atleast the majority.

Speculation is subjective; I thought Sakurai gave away his inclusion during the Pyrosphere reveal to be perfectly honest. However, I am surprised by how many Ridley "supporters" jumped ship after such a menial allusion. I honestly thought that the opposite would happen.

AndreaAC

I wouldn't mind Kraid, I mean, he is one of the Space Pirates leaders... AS LONG AS THEY ADD RIDLEY

Is the picture even showing up? For me, it just shows the upper half
Yeah, but when i saved it, the whole picture showed up, now i have a really good reference

10177437_429356723874850_3608411003079352574_n.jpg

D

Deleted member

Speculation is subjective; I thought Sakurai gave away his inclusion during the Pyrosphere reveal to be perfectly honest. However, I am surprised by how many Ridley "supporters" jumped ship after such a menial allusion. I honestly thought that the opposite would happen.
If he was a mere stage boss, Sakurai would have already crushed our dreams, he didn't made this with Skull Kid, Ashley and Waluigi fans, he specifically said they weren't fighters,either playable or he justs really hates Ridley

Steelia

Smash Champion

Maybe it's all apart of his master plan. Maybe he saw how many fans dislike the Other M design, so he trolled them into thinking Ridley is a stage boss so they could become more accepting of any form of Ridley as playable. The sly dog.

sakureye.png

Sakurai: [laughs]

D

Deleted member

Maybe it's all apart of his master plan. Maybe he saw how many fans dislike the Other M design, so he trolled them into thinking Ridley is a stage boss so they could become more accepting of any form of Ridley as playable. The sly dog.

View attachment 12232

Sakurai: [laughs]
I actually like his Other M design

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I'm just glad E3 isn't far off. In a way im kinda happy people don't expect him now...Like I said thats what Sakurai wants after all. Everyone is gonna go nuts when he is revealed and your gonna here alot of "Oh dat Sakurai sure fooled me!" posts that take up 30 pages in a span of 10 minutes hehehe.

Morbi

Scavenger
If he was a mere stage boss, Sakurai would have already crushed our dreams, he didn't made this with Skull Kid, Ashley and Waluigi fans, he specifically said they weren't fighters,either playable or he justs really hates Ridley
Exactly; if he didn't want to allude to Ridley in a boss character context, he would not have. Either or fallacy inbound... either he would show us Ridley's model as Ridley is one of the more ideal and "obvious" boss characters, or he doesn't selectively place a clip of Ridley in the Direct at all. This silhouette indicates that he wanted to share something about Ridley while giving nothing away, so if Ridley really was a boss character, his whole execution (literally talking about boss characters as the clip plays) is counter-intuitive.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
We have fight for months trying to prove by any means possible that Ridley wasn't a stage hazard, fearing every day that Ridley would beshown as one in a pic of the day and then this happen.

I'm really not surprised that so many of us have fallen, howewer I really didn't expect to see so many new supporter, even some people who didn't care that much about Ridley before and more surprising people who were against Ridley joining our ranks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm just glad E3 isn't far off. In a way im kinda happy people don't expect him now...Like I said thats what Sakurai wants after all. Everyone is gonna go nuts when he is revealed and your gonna here alot of "Oh dat Sakurai sure fooled me!" posts that take up 30 pages in a span of 10 minutes hehehe.
I would love to see Shokio making a "movement" to remove Ridley because he looks "********"

Morbi

Scavenger
We have fight for months trying to prove by any means possible that Ridley wasn't a stage hazard, fearing every day that Ridley would beshown as one in a pic of the day and then this happen.

I'm really not surprised that so many of us have fallen, howewer I really didn't expect to see so many new supporter, even some people who didn't care that much about Ridley before and more surprising people who were against Ridley joining our ranks.
Yes, I am one of them. Prior, I found Ridley inevitable, but I didn't want him to become a detriment to the roster. My fear was that he would be difficult to develop, and therefore not as awesome as he could have been... or that he would be super awesome, but take too much time to work on. After the Direct, I had no doubt in my mind that he is playable. So now that I know that he is on the roster, I am more excited for him. Weird.

Or worse. People lying and asserting that they "knew it all along."

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice

Before the Direct I just thought that it would be kinda neat to see him in the game.
After the Direct and reading the things on this thread he became one of my most wanted characters.
Also got me to try playing Metroid Prime again which the first time I played I gave up on the countdown on the intro thing. But that's probably irrelevant to this.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You seem quite confident in Ridley, don't you? Do you suppose you'd be able to convince me that Ridley will be playable? I'm afraid I'm one of those who "jumped ship" as you say.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
You seem quite confident in Ridley, don't you? Do you suppose you'd be able to convince me that Ridley will be playable? I'm afraid I'm one of those who "jumped ship" as you say.
I think Michael Jacobsen on Youtube says it best. Read the comment below that starts with "Prepare for an extreeemmmeeelly long wall of text. TL DR version at the bottom."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB7B3zfLhA4

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
I just want to start off by saying I am sorry for 'jumping the boat' I saw the clip with his shadow and instantly thought he was a stage hazard, but after looking over all the arguments I have come to the understanding that we have no conclusive evidence for anything other than Ridley being in the game in one form or another. I will not give up on one of my favorite characters of all time.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I just want to start off by saying I am sorry for 'jumping the boat' I saw the clip with his shadow and instantly thought he was a stage hazard, but after looking over all the arguments I have come to the understanding that we have no conclusive evidence for anything other than Ridley being in the game in one form or another. I will not give up on one of my favorite characters of all time.
Welcome back, you don't have to be sorry, I did the exact same thing, and then wonder "but what if" before swimming back to said boat.

I would say keep to hope but still be ready just in case.

And if the worst were to happen, Ridley will just destroy bassicaly every possible candidate next smash just with his resume, "you've been playable in this one game, that's cute, I've been in every smash game so far" =p

Edit : Also 666 posts, be ready Too Bigots, Ridley is coming for you !

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I have no fear believing in Ridley. Some have warned about potential disappointment should he not be playable, but I've been let down so many times in my young life that frankly I ain't really affected by such things anymore, so screw it, I'm going all out for the purple space dragon.

Morbi

Scavenger
If you haven't been convinced as of current, nothing I could possibly say would influence your decision. But you are correct, I NEVER assert that a character is definitively in the game unless I am truly confident. The only character that has ever been afforded that respect was Mewtwo.

Ridley is the most prominent and prevalent Metroid character aside from Samus. There is an overt series discrepancy with Metroid, it is one of the most notable Nintendo franchises with only one representative. So Ridley IS the definitive choice for the roster in regards to Metroid. His popularity is staggering, as someone mentioned earlier, it is literally impossible for Sakurai to discern Little Mac's popularity in the West while disregarding Ridley's. Sakurai has also personally spoken on account of Ridley; that is something, in my opinion, that demonstrates an interest in the character. He is also one of the most relevant characters pertaining to the Smash series, he appears in every title.

His role as a boss character was already used in the last installment, this could conceive a precedent that entails his return as a boss character; however, I believe that Ridley has been one of the least stagnant characters in Smash. He was a background character, an opening cameo, and a boss character. Reintroducing the character as a stage-hazard is seemingly diverse; but it is slightly redundant when one considers that he is essentially a glorified background character. The most logical innovation for the character is to become included in the roster.

Sakurai's intent; it is easy for some individuals to make unsupported accusations alluding to Sakurai as a "troll." This is not the case, Sakurai, is merely attempting to market his game in an original or creative way. If you notice, the entire "mystery" around Ridley is purposefully ambiguous. As someone who is quite familiar with the structure of novels, it is blatantly overt that he is attempting to incite discussion; he is introducing us to context that is malleable. This is the same with Ridley's introduction as a silhouette. One must not ponder one what he was stating, that is propaganda 101. You must articulate what he was attempting to convey. Again, he wanted to reveal something about Ridley; the perfect opportunity to reveal a second boss character arose, he didn't insinuate anything in regards to Ridley. It was just audio over a clip. Secondly, silhouettes are notoriously used for... keeping something a secret. If Sakurai wanted to keep Ridley's fate ambiguous, he would not have stated anything in regards to Ridley (which he didn't). So it is logical to assume that had he wanted us to learn about Ridley, he would have shown us the model. Had he wanted to keep Ridley under wraps, he wouldn't have introduced the clip.

Surely, even if you are skeptical, you have to admit that the choice was odd. Why keep his boss status indeterminate and blatantly give it away at the same time? That is irrational and counter-intuitive. It is all about the theatrics, he wants to generate hype for the event 2 months away.

Let us go back to square one, don't you think we would have learned that Ridley is a boss character if he was one? We have seen dozens of Pyrosphere photos, nothing would indicate a stage-hazard, least of all Ridley. No respected developer would "taunt" fans of their product about the inclusion of their most demanded character so consistently if they never intended to add whatever it is the fans wanted. It would be much more wise to get the Ridley reveal out of the way if it was unfavorable, he is indicating to us that the reveal is something good and unexpected. Not something expected and boring. He is not ignorant enough to accumulate such labored disdain. The Direct was full of such practice. The Palutena quiz and fallacious Zero-Suit Samus deconfirmations come to mind.

Remember, it was an audio clip over an edited game-play clip that was intended to be ambiguous. Do you want to rely on that as "evidence" of his non-inclusion?

Last edited:

NinjaKnight

Smash Rookie
I think Michael Jacobsen on Youtube says it best. Read the comment below that starts with "Prepare for an extreeemmmeeelly long wall of text. TL DR version at the bottom."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB7B3zfLhA4

I copy pasted that original comment here:
Youtube User [URL='http://www.youtube.com/profile_redirector/101086630119472571415']Michael Jacobsen[/URL] said:
Prepare for an extreeemmmeeelly long wall of text. TL DR version at the bottom.

Let me start that I am biased towards Ridley, he is my #1 wanted character (Well, Rayman is, but Ridley is my realistic #1) That being said, when I saw Ridley in the Direct I almost gave up hope on him being playable.

But then I started researching that Direct a little more, and found out a few things that gave me hope. I don't even think that's a boss character shown. So lets start as to why:

First off, we have to determine which Ridley it is. The thing that's clipping in to the picture is not Meta Ridley's wing, it's Other M Ridley's tail, you can tell by the movements of the shadows. They are identical to each other, that is almost definitely Other M Ridley. This is further supported by the fact that Ridley's arms are much more muscular then Meta Ridley, and much longer. But they aren't quite up to par with Other M Ridley's arms, they are about 2/3's the size in proportion to the rest of his body. His head also looks more like Classic Ridley (Thank God), and his foot, shown in a link later, isn't Other M's 3 clawed foot but actually his classic two toed one, which makes me believe that, like Zero Suit Samus, this may be a tweaked, hybrid design. Now, why on earth would an Other M stage where you fought Other M Ridley not have a Ridley identical to the one in the game?

Secondly, lets look at Ridley's behavior. He calmly flies in from the right, hovers for a few seconds, then calmly flies to the left, coming back to the right in the last second we see of him, flapping much faster and gaining altitude. All of his animations are extremely choppy, especially compared to his Boss battle in Brawl, his wings are flapping much faster then his Brawl and Other M incarnations, and his stop/go animations aren't smooth at all. In his boss battles, well, in Boss battles in general, Bosses animations are telegraphed so you have some warning of what they are going to do. But not here. Ridley flies in, does an idle animation, and flies off. This is extremely odd, very boring for a boss, and extremely weird that he isn't doing anything with the Pikachu he grabbed... wait, what? Yup. Ridley actually grabbed Pikachu off screen. You can see in the bottom left corner of the screen when Ridley is idling that Pikachu's tail is sticking out of his left hand. Just as Ridley flies away Pikachu breaks free, Ridley does absolutely nothing to him while he is in his grasp, more similar to a player grabbing you then anything else. Now, a boss whose attacks are to pick you up for a few seconds then let go doesn't seem much like a boss at all.

Third, Ridley's actual size. By comparing the shadow of Ridley to the stage itself, we can tell that Ridley is actually smaller overall then he has ever been. This is a gamefaqs forum that we're currently trying to compare Ridley's size to other shadows that have appeared on the Pyrosphere, there are multiple images throughout that show that Ridley is actually smaller then you would think, which is again pointless if he's nothing but a boss.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68996063

Fourthly, there is the fact that Ridley is flying for the entire duration he is shown. A character can't do that, right? Well, Peach can hover. Plenty of characters can stay airborne for quite a while. (Pit in Brawl can stay airborne for a ridiculous amount of time) But he grabs Pikachu midair! It's never happened before, but that doesn't mean it can't. It makes sense that Ridley would be able to fly for an extremely long amount of time, especially since his hitbox would get a lot bigger midair. Trading a bigger hitbox for godlike recovery. And grabbing people midair is something Ridley does in several of his game, no other character can do it, but lots of characters can do things others can't. Nobody but Donkey Kong can move while grabbing someone is a good example.

Fifth and finally has to do with Sakurai. Sakurai has trolling down to an art, he will hint and tease at things, building hype until a fantastic reveal. He deconfirms things in a very abrupt manner (Waluigi is a good example of this). Ridley however, has been hinted at for over half a year now, and has yet to even be mentioned by name. If Ridley is just a boss/stage hazard, why all the secrecy? There is NO reason whatsoever to keep people in the dark over this, you don't take one of the most requested character for Smash, hype him up, then underdeliver his reveal. The fact that Sakurai is still leaving us with a shadow of doubt about Ridley (Literally) points to the fact that Ridley is more then just a simple stage hazard, you don't crush the hype you've been building for months, that isn't smart.

For a TL, DR version, my points are:
1. The Ridley shown is close in design to Other M Ridley, but parts of his design borrow from other incarnations of Ridley, making this more of a hybrid design, completely unnecessary if Ridley was only appearing in an Other M stage.

2. Ridley doesn't act like a boss whatsoever. His animations are choppy, he doesn't telegraph grabbing Pikachu at all, and doesn't do anything with Pikachu while it is grabbed.

3. Ridley has been scaled down, link to a discussion showing how.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68996063

4. There is no reason Ridley can't be flying that entire time, and would actually make for a very unique playable character. (Something, I might add, Sakurai seems to be aiming for this time around)

5. Sakurai's a troll. nuff said.

Ridley is a highly requested, highly hinted at character. And with Dark Samus an assist trophy, he is the only possibility of a new Metroid rep, literally every other character people request have only made a single appearance in Metroid games. If Ridley wasn't a character they would have put Dark Samus in, they wouldn't put a Hunter playable and Dark Samus as an assist trophy, it would be the other way around. Ridley is not confirmed to be a character, but his chances are nowhere near as low as people would suggest, and he CERTAINLY hasn't been disconfirmed to be a character.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If you haven't been convinced as of current, nothing I could possibly say would influence your decision. But you are correct, I NEVER assert that a character is definitively in the game unless I am truly confident. The only character that has ever been afforded that respect was Mewtwo.

Ridley is the most prominent and prevalent Metroid character aside from Samus. There is an overt series discrepancy with Metroid, it is one of the most notable Nintendo franchises with only one representative. So Ridley IS the definitive choice for the roster in regards to Metroid. His popularity is staggering, as someone mentioned earlier, it is literally impossible for Sakurai to discern Little Mac's popularity in the West while disregarding Ridley's. Sakurai has also personally spoken on account of Ridley; that is something, in my opinion, that demonstrates an interest in the character. He is also one of the most relevant characters pertaining to the Smash series, he appears in every title.

His role as a boss character was already used in the last installment, this could conceive a precedent that entails his return as a boss character; however, I believe that Ridley has been one of the least stagnant characters in Smash. He was a background character, an opening cameo, and a boss character. Reintroducing the character as a stage-hazard is seemingly diverse; but it is slightly redundant when one considers that he is essentially a glorified background character. The most logical innovation for the character is to become included in the roster.

Sakurai's intent; it is easy for some individuals to make unsupported accusations alluding to Sakurai as a "troll." This is not the case, Sakurai, is merely attempting to market his game in an original or creative way. If you notice, the entire "mystery" around Ridley is purposefully ambiguous. As someone who is quite familiar with the structure of novels, it is blatantly overt that he is attempting to incite discussion; he is introducing us to context that is malleable. This is the same with Ridley's introduction as a silhouette. One must not ponder one what he was stating, that is propaganda 101. You must articulate what he was attempting to convey. Again, he wanted to reveal something about Ridley; the perfect opportunity to reveal a second boss character arose, he didn't insinuate anything in regards to Ridley. It was just audio over a clip. Secondly, silhouettes are notoriously used for... keeping something a secret. If Sakurai wanted to keep Ridley's fate ambiguous, he would not have stated anything in regards to Ridley (which he didn't). So it is logical to assume that had he wanted us to learn about Ridley, he would have shown us the model. Had he wanted to keep Ridley under wraps, he wouldn't have introduced the clip.

Surely, even if you are skeptical, you have to admit that the choice was odd. Why keep his boss status indeterminate and blatantly give it away at the same time? That is irrational and counter-intuitive. It is all about the theatrics, he wants to generate hype for the event 2 months away.

Let us go back to square one, don't you think we would have learned that Ridley is a boss character if he was one? We have seen dozens of Pyrosphere photos, nothing would indicate a stage-hazard, least of all Ridley. No respected developer would "taunt" fans of their product about the inclusion of their most demanded character so consistently if they never intended to add whatever it is the fans wanted. It would be much more wise to get the Ridley reveal out of the way if it was unfavorable, he is indicating to us that the reveal is something good and unexpected. Not something expected and boring. He is not ignorant enough to accumulate such labored disdain. The Direct was full of such practice. The Palutena quiz and fallacious Zero-Suit Samus deconfirmations come to mind.

Remember, it was an audio clip over an edited game-play clip that was intended to be ambiguous. Do you want to rely on that as "evidence" of his non-inclusion?
not to mention that if you take what he said literally is that "Other boss character (which might not include ridley) makes appearance on other stages (which might not be pyroshpere)." So let's just say (and I hope not) that king k rool appears as a boss in a dk stage, that would make his statement true without having ridley as a boss. But the thing is if he actually intended to say those words in way to make us believe information not stated explicitly like that, well he's the best troll final dot.

Top Bottom