• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Third option, @ False Sense False Sense ...Sakurai himself is a TooBigot and does not believe that playability does Ridley "justice," only out-of-character boss battles or stage hazard appearances do. And also, butchering Ganondorf and Mewtwo into bottom tier characters does them justice.

*cue "You will know true evil" image of Ganondorf wearing a bunny hood and holding Lip's Stick*
Sakurai just has a vendetta against Zelda for some reason, we call it Hyrule Tier for a reason you know.
I can guarantee you, in Sakurai's office there are several Zelda, Link, and Ganondorf plushies, all impaled on large metal spikes.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Third option, @ False Sense False Sense ...Sakurai himself is a TooBigot and does not believe that playability does Ridley "justice," only out-of-character boss battles or stage hazard appearances do. And also, butchering Ganondorf and Mewtwo into bottom tier characters does them justice.

*cue "You will know true evil" image of Ganondorf wearing a bunny hood and holding Lip's Stick*
Well, yes, that's a possibility as well. However, I find that a little unlikely, for two reasons. One is the interview where Sakurai says they could have made Ridley playable in Brawl if they put their best effort into it. That doesn't sound like he's dismissing the character as a possibility, to me at least. There's also the fact that Sakurai is trying to sell a product. If Sakurai knows Ridley is wanted in this game, and if he's capable of putting him in it, I would think he wouldn't let something like the idea of being "too big" get in the way of making a game people want to buy. That's just me, though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, yes, that's a possibility as well. However, I find that a little unlikely, for two reasons. One is the interview where Sakurai says they could have made Ridley playable in Brawl if they put their best effort into it. That doesn't sound like he's dismissing the character as a possibility, to me at least. There's also the fact that Sakurai is trying to sell a product. If Sakurai knows Ridley is wanted in this game, and if he's capable of putting him in it, I would think he wouldn't let something like the idea of being "too big" get in the way of making a game people want to buy. That's just me, though.
You'd hope, right? But the way I look at it, Sakurai is aware by now that he can add in virtually any character (or exclude virtually any character) with no repercussions, be it among the fanbase, sales, or critical reception. He's a hard-working genius god, no matter what, as far as most care. If he's playing Ace Attorney and judges Ridley as "more just" in a nonplayable role, that's where he's going to stay.

Also, he's trying to create hype for a product, so even if he has judged Ridley to "not be done justice" in a playable role, he's not going to let that slip in an interview. The fanbase puts out so much hype from the possibility of playable Ridley, and TooBigots draw so much attention to Smash, period, by crusading against playable Ridley, that he knows better than to just kill all of that off with a straight answer. Hell, that's why he's still shrouding Ridley in shadow, despite him blatantly being a stage boss. It's a lazy strategy to milk hype out of a character without using that character the way fans want him used, but a functional one nonetheless.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

....The way I see it, he's just a guy that is making a game.
He's not some infallible deity that can do no wrong nor is he some demon that deliberately crushes dreams to feast upon the salty tears.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My personal mindset is that Sakurai is a rather average developer, who makes a handful of wise decisions, along with a handful of painfully out-of-touch ones. With Ridley, he's showing basic, albeit cynical knowledge of cause-and-effect principles.

"If I outright disconfirm Ridley early on, I lose hype from Ridley fans and attention from TooBigots, and create a group of angry fans pre-release, where they're more audible. Lose-lose for me."

"If I tease shadows and pic captions, then show boss Ridley post-release, I prolong the hype and attention as long as possible, and the group of angry fans are drowned out by the sheer fan noise inherent after a release. Win-win for me."

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good evening fellow Space Pirates, and I'm here with quite possibly the GREATEST thing you could hope for, the funniest thing you will see all night. I almost keeled over from laughing, and I pardon the language, but my God, this was in my inbox and my GOD is it gold:

From a fanboy known as EpicAO:

"Clearly you can't comprehend the fact that you're jealous of Shokio. But why even bother, it's not like you can compete with the goodness and faith in humanity that is by the name of Shokio... So why don't you shut up and acknowledge the fact that no one will ever respect you.
And show pride to your true gender you transgender ****..."

And all because he can't respect my opinion for my own wanted characters in Smash 4...laugh at it. :p

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Good evening fellow Space Pirates, and I'm here with quite possibly the GREATEST thing you could hope for, the funniest thing you will see all night. I almost keeled over from laughing, and I pardon the language, but my God, this was in my inbox and my GOD is it gold:

"Clearly you can't comprehend the fact that you're jealous of Shokio. But why even bother, it's not like you can compete with the goodness and faith in humanity that is by the name of Shokio... So why don't you shut up and acknowledge the fact that no one will ever respect you.

And all because he can't respect my opinion for my own wanted characters in Smash 4...laugh at it. :p
xD THIS IS HOW IM LAUGHING RIGHT NOW

NastCF

Smash Apprentice

No offense but as ridiculous as that message is, coming here to make fun of him doesn't make you sound much better than him.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
What makes you think I waited to come here to make fun of him? :p I've been stringing along the poor kid for the past 15 minutes.
You can make fun of him in private and in the context of the conversation if you want, as that's your business, but I just think mocking him publicly behind his back like that is pretty immature, at least in my opinion.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
You can make fun of him in private and in the context of the conversation if you want, as that's your business, but I just think mocking him publicly behind his back like that is pretty immature, at least in my opinion.
Well, in the words of an awesome character...

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!"

Taking advantages of opportunities is what I do, and if someone is going to make an idiot out of themselves, I'm not just going to let said liquid gold go to waste.

Playable Ridley wasn't in your post.

You disappoint me. :evil:
Cross your fingers and hold your breath for that one, it's going to be a rough 3-5 months.

Last edited:

NastCF

Smash Apprentice

Taking advantages of opportunities is what I do, and if someone is going to make an idiot out of themselves, I'm not just going to let said liquid gold go to waste.
Or you could just, you know, ignore him. You can deal with someone being a **** without being one yourself, is all I'm saying. But whatever, we're getting off-topic. Sorry I brought this up.

To be on-topic, I'm not very familiar with Ridley or Metroid in general, but seeing all the hype for him has got me wanting him in too, even if it doesn't look too hopeful for him right now. I do still think he has a chance, though.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I indirectly insulted you in all three of those posts, it's nothing personal really.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Yeah, because Shokio really restores my faith in humanity.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice

I don't know about you but if a "freaky alien" gave me lemons I'd probably try to dispose of them.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Better break out the bingo card.

I have crossed off 'uses gay slurs,' 'harassment of pro-Ridley YouTubers,' and 'YouTube rant passed off as fact' on mine.

Damn it, those don't line up on mine. Won't be too much longer before I get something that does, though.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

I have crossed off 'uses gay slurs,' 'harassment of pro-Ridley YouTubers,' and 'YouTube rant passed off as fact' on mine.

Damn it, those don't line up on mine. Won't be too much longer before I get something that does, though.
You can mark down "Instances of Downsizing don't count" "He couldn't work!" "I don't need to do any research!" "His character would be ruined" "Uses Excessive Profanity" and "Mental Illness slurs" on your card as well thanks to his other replies. See if that gets you anything. :p

It's when freaky lemons give you aliens that you should start getting worried.
I don't know about you but if a "freaky alien" gave me lemons I'd probably try to dispose of them.
You're both wrong...when a freaky alien gives you lemons...you toss a battleship through their window. :p

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
How the Rate Their Chances thread is going thus far:

View attachment 12270

Seriously, I can get all the drops in likelihood, but in WANT as well?
Bandwagoning is and has always been an unfortunate reality with regard to character want.

"This character is in a new game? Shoo-in and my brand new favorite."

"This character looks less likely? Eh, never cared about them anyway."

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
See, I like Ridley as a character, and I think he should be playable. But if he's a hazard on Pyrosphere (which is what I believe to be the case) then I'm fine with it. It's not because I'm going to judge everything Sakurai does and defend him to the end of his days, but I'm just...okay with it.

The newcomers this game are interesting to me (besides Wii Fit Trainer), and I can't wait to try them out. Ridley was easily a top 5 character for me, but he wasn't a make or break decision for me. I still think the game will be great. I'm not trying to get on a high horse. I just hope this doesn't turn into a "Ridley didn't get in?! I'M NOT BUYING SMASH NOW". Unless of course that's what you want to do. Then go ahead.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Okay, you've piqued my curiosity.

How does Metroid Prime 2 deconfirm Ridley?

From what I remember Echoes, along with Return of Samus have the distinct recognition of being the only games in the series to not feature the space dragon.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Okay, you've piqued my curiosity.

How does Metroid Prime 2 deconfirm Ridley?

From what I remember Echoes, along with Return of Samus have the distinct recognition of being the only games in the series to not feature the space dragon.
That's the point.

Some Ridley detractors (like Shokio) occasionally reference Ridley's "appearance" in Prime 2 for being one of his many huge appearances. It's an oversight on their part.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That's the point.

Some Ridley detractors (like Shokio) occasionally reference Ridley's "appearance" in Prime 2 for being one of his many huge appearances. It's an oversight on their part.
You know, I'm pretty sure Rosalina, Greninja, and maybe even Ganon have had proportionately less appearances in their respective series, so yeah, that totally deserves to be on that Bingo board.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If Ridley is playable, I want him to actually be really large. I want him to be able to fly for a long time and grab people in midair.

Basically, I want him to be a boss.
But playable.

Top Bottom