• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
How the Rate Their Chances thread is going thus far:

Seriously, I can get all the drops in likelihood, but in WANT as well?
As someone who's reasons for supporting Palutena include knowing a lot of people want her playable and wanting to see them happy (in fact, it's my biggest reason), it saddens me to see people hyping up Pale Tuna to no end and then just taking a dump all over Ridley and his fans.
Yes, I'm aware it's not a lot of people, it's only a few, but the lesser person in me wants to completely throw all want for Palutena out the window and insult her character to no end just to smite them, but...ugh, that just isn't me. I'd be lying to myself. Because I DO want them to be happy. And I do, at the very least, care somewhat about the character. It kind of stings when the people I want to see satisfied don't give ****s about me.
I mean, really? 0% for "Want?" Not ever a 0.00000...1% acknowledgment just for that liiiitle sliver of compassion in you that could, just maybe, be just somewhat happy to see others so ecstatic? That stings.
Oh well, such is life I suppose. I'm not mad, really. Just a little saddened. Hope they enjoy their Tuna, honestly.

Last edited:

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
I have to say I am still really cheering Ridley on and I absolutely want him in this game, but I think all of the stuff that you guys come up with to try to prove him and disprove other evidence is just great. I am actually getting more entertainment out this than some other things I do. You guys got to keep doing what you guys do.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Palutena's ratings have got me thinking...what if there was a Rate their Chances for characters with one hypothetical factor in play; Sakurai is developing the Smash game for which they are candidates immediately following developing a game in which that character is a key player. I certainly think the ratings of every single character you could throw out there would be bumped up at least 10% or so in that case.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Palutena's ratings have got me thinking...what if there was a Rate their Chances for characters with one hypothetical factor in play; Sakurai is developing the Smash game for which they are candidates immediately following developing a game in which that character is a key player. I certainly think the ratings of every single character you could throw out there would be bumped up at least 10% or so in that case.
Sakurai says he's taking a break after development of Smash Bros 4. Kit Kat Bar's chances immediately increased to 100% for Smash Bros 5.

I'm so sorry

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Would it at all be worthwhile to start a Twitter / email campaign supporting playable Ridley, if only for the Wii U version? Stuff like tweeting Nintendo employees, sending emails, maybe even physical letters and mailing Ridley plushies to Sakurai's office. Get creative, you know?

There likely isn't enough time to design, animate and balance Ridley by late August for the 3DS version (although it's possible if they put a ton of people on the task), but there's surely enough time to add him for the Wii U release.

At that point he could be DLC for the 3DS.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
Would it at all be worthwhile to start a Twitter / email campaign supporting playable Ridley, if only for the Wii U version? Stuff like tweeting Nintendo employees, sending emails, maybe even physical letters and mailing Ridley plushies to Sakurai's office. Get creative, you know?

There likely isn't enough time to design, animate and balance Ridley by late August for the 3DS version (although it's possible if they put a ton of people on the task), but there's surely enough time to add him for the Wii U release.

I don't think that would at all be effective.
But sending a bunch of Ridley plushes to Sakurai sounds fun. (do those even exist?)

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I don't think that would at all be effective.
But sending a bunch of Ridley plushes to Sakurai sounds fun. (do those even exist?)
There is hardly enough Ridley merchandise anywhere.
Or maybe I'm just terrible at looking. I've never been able to find much.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Not for this game, it wouldn't matter, but having official character Twitter accounts would certainly be an innovative new way to spread the word next time around.

That, and I'd like to have the 'Next Game Character Discussion" board opened on this forum earlier this time. It started June 2012 this time, after the game was well underway in development, but if it began a bit earlier next time, the truly big characters will have time to emerge and stand out to outside observers (beyond just being brought up a lot within a jumbled mess of an SSB5/6 thread).

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Not for this game, it wouldn't matter, but having official character Twitter accounts would certainly be an innovative new way to spread the word next time around.

That, and I'd like to have the 'Next Game Character Discussion" board opened on this forum earlier this time. It started June 2012 this time, after the game was well underway in development, but if it began a bit earlier next time, the truly big characters will have time to emerge and stand out to outside observers (beyond just being brought up a lot within a jumbled mess of an SSB5/6 thread).
Ah but it could impact DLC!

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
anyone lost all hope has a director ever let ppl think a character is something that it's not and was playable instead to tease?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
anyone lost all hope has a director ever let ppl think a character is something that it's not and was playable instead to tease?
Just add him to the list of people who taunt or belittle Ridley fans for things that are expected of other character fans. No, this is not playing the victim, it's a legitimate observation. Other fans can support and defend their characters without getting stigmatized as "sensitive" or "annoying." But not Ridley fans.

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman

If Ridley doesn't get in as playable in Smash Wii U /3DS, we'll have to make sure that for the next game the hype and discussion goes well beyond Smashboards and Miiverse.

An official RidleyForSmash Twitter account, campaigns to get #Ridley4Smash trending, a Ridley Facebook page, coordinated campaigns to send hundreds or thousands of tweets / emails / Ridley plushies and cupcakes to important Nintendo / Sora staff, Sakurai himself, etc. Think outside the box.

I still don't think Sakurai is intentionally being a spiteful jerk towards Ridley fans. Sure the controversy / mystery / teasing is generating tons of discussion for Smash 4, but why end it with revealing Ridley as a stage hazard? What does Sakurai have to gain by pissing off a huge section of the Smash fan base, who then may not buy the next games?

Obviously, if Sakurai doesn't make Ridley playable in Smash Wii U / 3DS, it's because the fact that an absolutely massive number of people don't just want, but crave playable Ridley didn't come across to him loudly and clearly enough. Simply put, the support, hype, and overall Ridley hysteria was too confined to certain forums and didn't start early enough.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That, and this time around, we need to make those @Angelglory images of Ridley go viral. Put them absolutely everywhere. Same goes for the various drawings of @ AndreaAC AndreaAC ...goodness knows, she has no shortage of excellent ones to go around.

This time, all we had was that one drawing by @ Oasis_S Oasis_S in the OP's moveset, and while it's a great drawing, it's just one drawing. We've put out so much more than that since then, and we need to make that known. In this very thread, we've had skeptics converted to supporters through those images. Time to broaden our horizons.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I think Sakurai knows he is REALLY wanted...

i mean, suposedly there were 4 votes for Ridley to be playable in brawl and Dedede also had 4, but later got 1 more and got a place in the game....i can't stop thinking that it was Sakurai's own vote for him, since it is one of his creations...or that he was lazy to think how to make Ridley work....

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Well there was Ryota Niitsuma and how he trolled the hell of out of megaman fans with this, and more only to end up giving zero an X costume at the most.

This in game wanted poster comes to mind

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
I think Sakurai knows he is REALLY wanted...

i mean, suposedly there were 4 votes for Ridley to be playable in brawl and Dedede also had 4, but later got 1 more and got a place in the game....i can't stop thinking that it was Sakurai's own vote for him, since it is one of his creations...or that he was lazy to think how to make Ridley work....
yh I just don't think he cares we want him I mean the jpn don't care for him so all is good right?

also the ridley campaing needs to start now, DLC and the smash 6 next year( expansion maybe?) would be in the planning stage soon.

Last edited:

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
If Ridley doesn't get in as playable in Smash Wii U /3DS, we'll have to make sure that for the next game the hype and discussion goes well beyond Smashboards and Miiverse.

An official RidleyForSmash Twitter account, campaigns to get #Ridley4Smash trending, a Ridley Facebook page, coordinated campaigns to send hundreds or thousands of tweets / emails / Ridley plushies and cupcakes to important Nintendo / Sora staff, Sakurai himself, etc. Think outside the box.

I still don't think Sakurai is intentionally being a spiteful jerk towards Ridley fans. Sure the controversy / mystery / teasing is generating tons of discussion for Smash 4, but why end it with revealing Ridley as a stage hazard? What does Sakurai have to gain by pissing off a huge section of the Smash fan base, who then may not buy the next games?

Obviously, if Sakurai doesn't make Ridley playable in Smash Wii U / 3DS, it's because the fact that an absolutely massive number of people don't just want, but crave playable Ridley didn't come across to him loudly and clearly enough. Simply put, the support, hype, and overall Ridley hysteria was too confined to certain forums and didn't start early enough.
-2020 if Ridley isn't playable in SSB4. Sakurai goes to his office one morning, and sees the office with Ridley plushes of varying sizes everywhere, and on his desk, a tray of cupcakes and a piece of paper listing every supporter of Ridley.
"Everyone with a brain pretty much."-

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So, now there is nearly no one left who thinks that Ridls is disconfirmed?
Also, would any of you more-or-less calm down if he IS a boss, but the battle with him will be the hardest and most awesome of all Ridley battles ever?

If he is a boss, then i hope i won`t screw something up with my upcoming project m charizard alt:

Were is his feet? I will fix that and few other things soon.

Last edited:

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
I rather him not be in at all if he is not playable, it is going to suck being reminded that he is not in ever time you play in pyrosphere

D

Deleted member

So, may someone make a video inspired by this one with the appropriate changes (such like replacing the XOne "face" with the one of certain persons) and that it to be broadcasted the day when Ridley get finally confirmed ?

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Listen, I have a theory about the "enemy from Samus' past" if Ridley is playable.

Let me get this clear. I am currently indifferent about Ridley. I don't support him, don't hate him. Don't expect him, don't call him deconfirmed either. Now, here's the theory.

It's Ridley. And no, I'm not talking about Other M Ridley being separate from Ridley (pardon my lack of knowledge on Metroid), that would be so stupid that Sakurai purposely avoided this in Spirit Train by putting Alfonzo there. You see, I am talking about how Brawl had characters being challenged after a match if you play a certain number of matches. Ridley could be a new challenger, and could be fought on Pyrosphere after X number of matches.

And no, it's not Kraid. That would just be stupid considering that Ridley, and only Ridley, was fought there. But don't fret, Ridley fans, there's still hope.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sakurai clearly said there will be other bosses you fight on stages when Ridley showed up... How can anyone NOT see that as a confirmation Ridley is not a playable character?

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Sakurai clearly said there will be other bosses you fight on stages when Ridley showed up... How can anyone NOT see that as a confirmation Ridley is not a playable character?
Copy Pasta:
#1 Ridley is playable size, and is incredible small for a boss character.
Taking into consideration of Pikachu's Size with the shadow, Ridley is around Bowser height

#2 Un-bosslike movements:
When transitioning from holding Pikachu to the glide, it is rather choppy like a player's movement. As opposed to the smooth animation with the long time it takes for previous smash bosses to move, since they need to let you know what's going to happen.
#2.5 Ridley moves awfully slow for a boss. Previous smash bosses move fast because they have to catch up with the player, and punish them if they weren't paying attention.

Add on top of it that it's strange for Sakurai to just not outright de-confirm him as playable like every other character that was likely to become playable and it's pretty likely he's a playable character.

Top Bottom