• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am waiting for a text-wall that asserts the opposition. It would be nice to see the other side of the argument (which, if I am not mistaken, consists of; the Direct confirmed Ridley as a boss-character!)
That is the only argument I can remember seeing as well, but that may just be my confirmation bias acting up again.

Morbi

Scavenger
not to mention that if you take what he said literally is that "Other boss character (which might not include ridley) makes appearance on other stages (which might not be pyroshpere)." So let's just say (and I hope not) that king k rool appears as a boss in a dk stage, that would make his statement true without having ridley as a boss. But the thing is if he actually intended to say those words in way to make us believe information not stated explicitly like that, well he's the best troll final dot.
So even if you take his words literally... there is still ambiguity and double meaning! Sakurai is truly a genius, that is the first and last time anyone will ever have that notion coming out of my keyboard; so enjoy it while you can! :awesome:

That is the only argument I can remember seeing as well, but that may just be my confirmation bias acting up again.
Precisely, that is why I want to hear the other side of the argument.

Zuba Oki

Smash Apprentice
Hey is Ridley the only one of his kind or something? Like his home world is Zebes but where are all the other space dragons?
Was Ridley banished by his people for being too sexy or did he pull a Lobo?

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Just a few days ago I thought it was the end of the world and Ridley was disconfirmed.
This thread changed my view and makes me hope Sakurai was trolling.
But the advantages of initially thinking he was disconfirmed means I'm ready in case he actually is, but when he's revealed as playable...

...It will be 1000× more awesome to me :p

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Just a few days ago I thought it was the end of the world and Ridley was disconfirmed.
This thread changed my view and makes me hope Sakurai was trolling.
But the advantages of initially thinking he was disconfirmed means I'm ready in case he actually is, but when he's revealed as playable...

...It will be 1000× more awesome to me :p
Glad you think so

For gamexplain its a tough one for them

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yes, I am one of them. Prior, I found Ridley inevitable, but I didn't want him to become a detriment to the roster. My fear was that he would be difficult to develop, and therefore not as awesome as he could have been... or that he would be super awesome, but take too much time to work on. After the Direct, I had no doubt in my mind that he is playable. So now that I know that he is on the roster, I am more excited for him. Weird.

Are you serious?
do you see something we all dont?

How are you so Strong?

Or worse. People lying and asserting that they "knew it all along."

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Something came to mind at some point, and I forgot to share it until now. It's actually rather simple, and I've not seen it brought up.

...Why Pikachu? Because of Subspace Emissary? Nope. Keep in mind that just before the Ridley tease, the Direct's focus was on Yellow Devil. Keeping with the subject and the stage theme, Mega Man was fighting Yellow Devil while others were around to show off the victory attack mechanic.

Wouldn't it have made sense then to have Samus over Pikachu? To stick with the stage theme as well as the subject theme? But that didn't happen. Sakurai used Pikachu.

...Rather, Sakurai used a small body to aid in the "demonstration". Consider what would have happened if the shadow that we've observed grabbed someone as tall as Samus instead of somebody as short as Pikachu. The size difference would have been much more noticeable. Or perhaps a taller character would have been harder to fit into the scene while still keeping as much as possible out of view. Either way, I think Pikachu was a convenient pick because of his ties to Ridley in Brawl. But the important thing was Pikachu's size, not his previous role.

... It's nice to wield this weapon for Ridley again. :)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Something came to mind at some point, and I forgot to share it until now. It's actually rather simple, and I've not seen it brought up.

...Why Pikachu? Because of Subspace Emissary? Nope. Keep in mind that just before the Ridley tease, the Direct's focus was on Yellow Devil. Keeping with the subject and the stage theme, Mega Man was fighting Yellow Devil while others were around to show off the victory attack mechanic.

Wouldn't it have made sense then to have Samus over Pikachu? To stick with the stage theme as well as the subject theme? But that didn't happen. Sakurai used Pikachu.

...Rather, Sakurai used a small body to aid in the "demonstration". Consider what would have happened if the shadow that we've observed grabbed someone as tall as Samus instead of somebody as short as Pikachu. The size difference would have been much more noticeable. Or perhaps a taller character would have been harder to fit into the scene while still keeping as much as possible out of view. Either way, I think Pikachu was a convenient pick because of his ties to Ridley in Brawl. But the important thing was Pikachu's size, not his previous role.

I'm not sure I get it.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
so did anyone consider yet that the shadow might be kraid forming a ridley shadow with his hands

and then picking up pikachu with his finger tips

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Good to see you back in full swing, Morbid.

:3 you are totally right....and i love your signature! i always wanted to see Ridley in formal attire
Allow me to oblige.

I'm afraid I'm one of those who "jumped ship" as you say.
I just want to start off by saying I am sorry for 'jumping the boat' I saw the clip with his shadow and instantly thought he was a stage hazard
There is no shame in losing a battle. Trust me, I know.

Welcome back, you don't have to be sorry, I did the exact same thing, and then wonder "but what if" before swimming back to said boat.
Being one of the original R.I.D.L.E.Y. thread members, this is the foremost character that I support, and even in light of it all, I'd still want to sink with the ship. If by some miracle we end up victorious, it'll be that much sweeter on my conscience.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If you haven't been convinced as of current, nothing I could possibly say would influence your decision. But you are correct, I NEVER assert that a character is definitively in the game unless I am truly confident. The only character that has ever been afforded that respect was Mewtwo.

Ridley is the most prominent and prevalent Metroid character aside from Samus. There is an overt series discrepancy with Metroid, it is one of the most notable Nintendo franchises with only one representative. So Ridley IS the definitive choice for the roster in regards to Metroid. His popularity is staggering, as someone mentioned earlier, it is literally impossible for Sakurai to discern Little Mac's popularity in the West while disregarding Ridley's. Sakurai has also personally spoken on account of Ridley; that is something, in my opinion, that demonstrates an interest in the character. He is also one of the most relevant characters pertaining to the Smash series, he appears in every title.

His role as a boss character was already used in the last installment, this could conceive a precedent that entails his return as a boss character; however, I believe that Ridley has been one of the least stagnant characters in Smash. He was a background character, an opening cameo, and a boss character. Reintroducing the character as a stage-hazard is seemingly diverse; but it is slightly redundant when one considers that he is essentially a glorified background character. The most logical innovation for the character is to become included in the roster.

Sakurai's intent; it is easy for some individuals to make unsupported accusations alluding to Sakurai as a "troll." This is not the case, Sakurai, is merely attempting to market his game in an original or creative way. If you notice, the entire "mystery" around Ridley is purposefully ambiguous. As someone who is quite familiar with the structure of novels, it is blatantly overt that he is attempting to incite discussion; he is introducing us to context that is malleable. This is the same with Ridley's introduction as a silhouette. One must not ponder one what he was stating, that is propaganda 101. You must articulate what he was attempting to convey. Again, he wanted to reveal something about Ridley; the perfect opportunity to reveal a second boss character arose, he didn't insinuate anything in regards to Ridley. It was just audio over a clip. Secondly, silhouettes are notoriously used for... keeping something a secret. If Sakurai wanted to keep Ridley's fate ambiguous, he would not have stated anything in regards to Ridley (which he didn't). So it is logical to assume that had he wanted us to learn about Ridley, he would have shown us the model. Had he wanted to keep Ridley under wraps, he wouldn't have introduced the clip.

Surely, even if you are skeptical, you have to admit that the choice was odd. Why keep his boss status indeterminate and blatantly give it away at the same time? That is irrational and counter-intuitive. It is all about the theatrics, he wants to generate hype for the event 2 months away.

Let us go back to square one, don't you think we would have learned that Ridley is a boss character if he was one? We have seen dozens of Pyrosphere photos, nothing would indicate a stage-hazard, least of all Ridley. No respected developer would "taunt" fans of their product about the inclusion of their most demanded character so consistently if they never intended to add whatever it is the fans wanted. It would be much more wise to get the Ridley reveal out of the way if it was unfavorable, he is indicating to us that the reveal is something good and unexpected. Not something expected and boring. He is not ignorant enough to accumulate such labored disdain. The Direct was full of such practice. The Palutena quiz and fallacious Zero-Suit Samus deconfirmations come to mind.

Remember, it was an audio clip over an edited game-play clip that was intended to be ambiguous. Do you want to rely on that as "evidence" of his non-inclusion?
Ah, a properly composed and well thought out argument for Ridley. So refreshing to see. Now, let's see what I can make of it...

Now, you start out by pointing out Ridley's importance to the Metroid series, and the significance of the Metroid series to Nintendo. Both of these, of course, are true. Metroid is plenty deserving of having a second (or third, technically) representative in Smash, and Ridley is the obvious, and perhaps only, choice for that role at this point. Now, you also mention that Ridley is very popular in the West and that Sakurai would have to have taken notice of that. While it's rather difficult to say for sure, it would have been very difficult for Sakurai to do any sort of proper research into popular Smash characters, particularly in the West, without finding out about Ridley. As you pointed out, this is also implied by Ridley's recurring appearances in Smash, which seem to be increasing in importance over time. So, based on all of this information, the logical next step would be for Sakurai to acknowledge Ridley's popularity and importance as a character by making him into a playable character.

But then we come to Sakurai's intent. This, of course, is very difficult to determine exactly, as we can't read Sakurai's mind. That would kind of make this entire portion of Smashboards pointless if we could. The only way to actually figure out Sakurai's intent, or more specifically, his intent with Ridley, is to analyze his actions and what we've seen of the game thus far. From what I've seen so far, I've come up with two possible explanations for Sakurai's behavior towards Ridley, and what the implications of his behavior are.

1.) Sakurai is ignorant. This would be the explanation for Ridley being a stage hazard in this game. Basically, Sakurai is ignorant to what the fans really want out of Ridley and decided to make him into a boss figure once again. All the mystery he's put into the Pyrosphere is intended for a grand reveal of Ridley being a super-awesome boss, which he feels would satisfy fans. Of course, that's not what we want. Not only is Sakurai ignorant to that fact, but he's also ignorant as to how to properly reveal this. If the state of this thread wasn't indication enough, the apparent de-confirmation of Ridley has had quite the negative impact, and a good part of that comes from the fact that Ridley's fate is heavily implied, but is still ambiguous. The result is a large split in the Ridley fanbase, with some believing Ridley is out of the picture, some convinced Ridley is actually in the game, and a good number of people who just aren't sure what to make of this. Quite frankly, this is a bad marketing move on Sakurai's part, yet he remains ignorant to this fact. Or...

2.) Sakurai is actually a tactical genius. This is the explanation for Ridley being playable. As I've previously stated, the ambiguous nature of Ridley's fate has had quite the negative impact on the fanbase. A number of people who believe Ridley's dead have actually given up hope for this game, but because Ridley's fate is still not entirely known, there remains lingering hope that is labeled as denial by most. An outright de-confirmation would have been much less painful. However, this sort of bizarre reveal makes sense if Ridley is actually playable, and Sakurai is just toying with us. So, if Ridley is playable, why would Sakurai make it appear as if he isn't? To generate hype. To put it simply, a character can get a lot more hype out of their reveal if the character was considered to be unlikely and only wishful thinking. By supposedly killing off Ridley, Sakurai is ensuring that Ridley's grand reveal will generate a much larger amount of hype than Ridley would have normally generated. After all, seeing an impossible, yet beloved, character make it into the game is much more exciting than a "shoo-in" character.

So, I guess it's a matter of figuring out what Sakurai is. Is he ignorant to Ridley's popularity as a character, how much people want him in Smash, and how to properly market this game? Or is this all part of some sort of diabolical scheme? It would seem like it should logically lean towards the latter, but at the same time, Sakurai has made some other rather questionable choices with this game and its roster...

Now, all of that is just analyzing what kind of though process Sakurai has in regards to Ridley, and doesn't really touch upon the technicalities of what we've actually seen and heard of Ridley in the game already. I'm afraid I can't really say much about that; the technical details of analyzing Ridley's shadow is a bit beyond me. I guess I would say that it would be very odd for Sakurai to talk about the appearance of other boss hazards and partially show Ridley on the Pyrosphere if Ridley is actually playable and the Pyrosphere has no boss. To me, it almost seems too conspiracy-theory like to think that Sakurai purposefully partially showed off Ridley when he made that statement just to make it seem like Ridley is a boss. By just taking that statement and clip at face value, it would seem to me that Ridley will not be playable in this game.

But... Sakurai did also flat out lie about a certain character being cut...

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Being one of the original R.I.D.L.E.Y. thread members, this is the foremost character that I support, and even in light of it all, I'd still want to sink with the ship. If by some miracle we end up victorious, it'll be that much sweeter on my conscience.
I made the same decision, I tought that if I were to give up now, when my fellow Ridley's fans are in need, I would not be able to look at them face to face next time and call myself a Ridley fan.

Ironically in the end it was people that I've never seen before in this thread who ended up giving my hopes for Ridley in this game back and for this I'm thankfull to every one here =)

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I'm not sure I get it.
Simple. As shown on the Direct, Mega Man appeared to help demonstrate the Yellow Devil on the Mega Man stage.

Dr. Wily's Castle -> Mega Man shown -> Yellow Devil Stage Hazard

So one would assume Samus would appear to help demonstrate the Ridley tease on the Metroid stage.

Pyrosphere -> Samus shown -> Ridley Stage Hazard

Instead we get Pikachu whose only relation is his interaction with Ridley during Subspace Emissary. So you ask yourself "Why not Samus?" It would have made more sense, and it shouldn't have made that big of a difference if the point was to hint that Ridley was going to be the boss hazard for the Pyrosphere stage.

One can then conclude there was a reason to use Pikachu over the more thematic Samus.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
So is there a general consensus on Ridley's status at this point?

Or is everyone still completely divided?
i think it's each his or her own really,

if you think ridley is a hazard and you don't believe he's going to be playable anymore, then i've probably enjoyed speculating with you and wish you the best of luck and the best of times once the game(s) arrive. no harm in that. i am actually kind of skeptical about takamaru's changes being in the game because of greninja. being insecure of doubting something is nothing wrong, as long as you search for a solution that makes you believe in it again.

if you are still on the ship, the hold on tight because the voyage only just begun. glad to see many people returning who think ridley is still in the game.

Last edited:

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't mind it if you believe he's a boss, because it means it'll be that much sweeter when he's confirmed ;)
my thoughts exactly,

i'm actually also trying to let go a bit of ridley's inclusion in smash bros as a playable character or not, and try to focus some more on the confirmed stuff i can be excited about. for example kirby is my most favorite fictional character ever created, but it sucked i never wanted to play as him in melee or brawl just because he simply wasn't all that good, or had an interesting move set that could last long. but now with his new hammer charge and final smash i'm suddenly interested in playing as him again. this makes me very happy.

but after all, i keep coming back to this thread just because i like discussing about ridley being in this smash, as he is my most wanted character. i also just enjoy reading you people's ideas and arguments about ridley's inclusion.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Ridley's fate is still unknown; either a stage hazard or a playable character. Sakurai stated quoted that the game is still under development...
...Regardless, I will believe in Ridley's joining the Smash roster until the very end
...Hope for the best...Ready for the worst...
Let us hope for a miracle....and wait patiently for Sakurai's OFFICIAL confirmation

PS: Here is one of my favorite soundtracks. STAY SMASHY.:)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Ridley's fate is still unknown; either a stage hazard or a playable character. Sakurai stated quoted that the game is still under development...
...Regardless, I will believe in Ridley's joining the Smash roster until the very end
...Hope for the best...Ready for the worst...
Let us hope for a miracle....and wait patiently for Sakurai's OFFICIAL confirmation

PS: Here is one of my favorite soundtracks. STAY SMASHY.:)
O O O O O he did a warning that some so gameplay you see might get changed so ridley could be changed to playable if really is a hazard

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

Awww now I wanna see a Bowser sized Ridley carrying either Bowser or DK in his feet while flying...Struggling to do so.... AndreaAC....You know what to do. lol

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I made the same decision, I tought that if I were to give up now, when my fellow Ridley's fans are in need, I would not be able to look at them face to face next time and call myself a Ridley fan.
Oi oi...

You saying I'm weak or something...

AREN'T I STRONG?! *sNIFFLE*

D

Deleted member

I just realized that Ridley haters always stick to the same argument until a new Pyrospher clip is shown:
Before Direct:"too big"
After: "Sakurai confirms it"
Btw, why they even care? If they make a working Ridley, what are they going to lose? What are they earning by saying he is not going to be in the game? And most of them didn't even played a Metroid game with Ridley on it

D

Deleted member

I just realized that Ridley haters always stick to the same argument until a new Pyrospher clip is shown:
Btw, why they even care? If they make a working Ridley, what are they going to lose? What are they earning by saying he is not going to be in the game? And most of them didn't even played a Metroid game with Ridley on it
Because it's human nature to act like an asshole and nay say everything apparently. Learn to just not care about what they say, it'll do you some good.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
They're trying to destroy what they believe to be an incredibly stupid idea, I think. Most Ridley detractors just can't picture the idea of a boss character like Ridley being playable, and thus think that anyone that thinks it's possible must be mentally deranged and deserving of shame. It doesn't help that there are a good few people out there who make videos encouraging this sort of behavior.

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
You know one thing I never understood? WHY does Ridley get so much hate? I mean, K. Rool is another super popular villain choice but he never gets anywhere as near the levels of hate Ridley gets. Just why? Where did all this Ridley hatebase even come from?

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Third option, @ False Sense False Sense ...Sakurai himself is a TooBigot and does not believe that playability does Ridley "justice," only out-of-character boss battles or stage hazard appearances do. And also, butchering Ganondorf and Mewtwo into bottom tier characters does them justice.

*cue "You will know true evil" image of Ganondorf wearing a bunny hood and holding Lip's Stick*

You know one thing I never understood? WHY does Ridley get so much hate? I mean, K. Rool is another super popular villain choice but he never gets anywhere as near the levels of hate Ridley gets. Just why?
Arseholes and trolls target Ridley either out of stupidity or out of this perception that "Ridley fans are just as bad, or are sensitive." It's a tough situation; fans either have to let anti-Ridley arguments stand, which gives them credibility, or acknowledge them, which idiots use as a reason to laugh at the fans...they're defending their character just like any other fan would, but because they're a Ridley fan, they're somehow an object of ridicule.

Last edited:
Top Bottom