• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Should've posted this too

Same size as in the comparison and still able to hold Samus in his hand.
If he has anything to come back on or says something to the effect of "but he needs to be able to tower over Samus" or w/e that's definitely my go-to image.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That has to be my favorite Ridley art ever.

so STRONG.

Even broke the Other M barrier, congratulations.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Should've posted this too

Same size as in the comparison and still able to hold Samus in his hand.
Ok that is a kickass picture so it's still the same size as angelglorys perfect playable ridley size.
If so then him grinding characters on the walls might be his final smash if confirmed.

That has to be my favorite Ridley art ever.

so STRONG.

Even broke the Other M barrier, congratulations.
What's the other m barrier and who broke it

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I am amazed people still think Smash Bros. is required to abide by strict game canon in terms of size and Sakurai has to "explain" how Ridley is suddenly LESS bigger than Samus.

It's like I dunno do people not know how big or small characters are actually "supposed" to be?

Also it is a well known fact that Other M Ridley is what Super Machoman looks like without the makeup, spray tan, and wig.

Body Man

Smash Rookie
I am amazed people still think Smash Bros. is required to abide by strict game canon in terms of size and Sakurai has to "explain" how Ridley is suddenly LESS bigger than Samus.

It's like I dunno do people not know how big or small characters are actually "supposed" to be?

Also it is a well known fact that Other M Ridley is what Super Machoman looks like without the makeup, spray tan, and wig.
Ridley can be whatever size Sakurai-san wants. My body can handle it!

Aside from that, however, Ridley's tail is enough to qualify him for SSB4. All hail the tail!

UltimateWario

Smash Master
...that would be a badass fight, though the original Ridley has the massive advantage of being educated in the art of war and strategy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

...that would be a badass fight, though the original Ridley has the massive advantage of being educated in the art of war and strategy.
....pretty sure they're dead even there. Clone Ridley retained the memories of the original.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I think that's just coincidence, maybe the clone wanted to kill Samus because she watched him fall from the fruit as a furry sh**....

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I remember it was after that, appeared out of the bush with the fruit, fell from it, then it noticed Samus and ran away, later it appeared when Samus was going to the exit and give her that death glare...

D

Deleted member

So Ridley hates Samus on a molecular level.

#makessense
In Ben 10-
*hears boos and hisses*
LET ME FINISH

-this was how Zs'Skayr, a ghost-like alien was able to recreate himself through the Omnitrix as Ben's "Ghostfreak" form. His species is conscious through even the smallest strands of DNA.
My guess is, in Metroid, Ridley's species (or even just Ridley himself) works the same way.

D

Deleted member

A tangential thought, but the fact that a Papa and Mama Space Dragon had once (probably) mated to birth Ridley adds another layer of dread to his existence.
Well, isn't he Geoform 187?
.....perhaps all other 186 Geoforms were previous incarnations.

......and Other M was the birth and death of Geoform 188.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
With Little Mac's confirmation, we finally had another long awaited popular Nintendo All-Star finally confirmed for playable status in Smash Bros.

We are basically done with the first two months of 2014, and yet no concrete information on Ridley's status for Smash Bros. 4.

I have a question for all of you fellow Ridley supporters. During what month of 2014, do you think we will finally learn Ridley's role in Smash 4 (whether it be a playable character, a stage hazard, or a boss)?

My guesses are either March (the anniversary month of Super Metroid in Japan) or August (the anniversary month for the first installment of Metroid in Japan).

Steelia

Smash Champion
I have a question for all of you fellow Ridley supporters. During what month of 2014, do you think we will finally learn Ridley's role in Smash 4 (whether it be a playable character, a stage hazard, or a boss)?

My guesses are either March (the anniversary month of Super Metroid in Japan) or August (the anniversary month for the first installment of Metroid in Japan).
I'm terrible at bets, and Sakurai is the master of unpredictability, but I'm pretty sure the best time to reveal Ridley (as playable) would be at E3. Him or Mewtwo. There's no other better time to reveal that kind of hype and get the pre-orders going. On the other hand, if he's a stage hazard or returning boss, can't say when that kind of reveal would happen...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Provided Nintendo doesn't break from their bimonthly schedule I'd assume August would be the best time ignoring E3. April's also possible since it's a month after Super's anniversary in Japan and would coincide with its western one.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I expect him either at E3 or in September for Other M anniversarry.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
xD oh, it is nothing, it is just a quick drawing, but the idea you give me was glorious!

oh, and by Ridley Kong i mean this song
Eh, thanks, I think... Guess I was just being modest there like I usually am most of the time, but eh, whateves. xd

Oh, that song. How could I forget?! lol As for your latest pic, I get why you made it and can definitely understand not being a fan of the Other M evolution line, but that scenario's just a tad bit sadistic, even for me. To be fair though, that is prolly how Ridley would react to an infant version of himself or his species, so...

And pretty much what the others said on when Ridley will get revealed, if he does. I myself wouldn't bet or gamble on a certain month for his debut though (since I'm terrible at those too), and if he's a hazard, well.. That'll make it even more difficult to predict when he'll get shown. Could be just whenever Sakurai decides to show him out of the clear blue if being a hazard is the case.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm terrible at bets, and Sakurai is the master of unpredictability, but I'm pretty sure the best time to reveal Ridley (as playable) would be at E3. Him or Mewtwo. There's no other better time to reveal that kind of hype and get the pre-orders going. On the other hand, if he's a stage hazard or returning boss, can't say when that kind of reveal would happen...
Uh, Mewtwo would be better being revealed in October (if the game isn't released before that). Mewtwo is obviously the most requested character, but I think Ridley and King K. Rool would be more hype worthy for the E3, since they would be actual newcomers, unlike the legendary Pokémon.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Uh, Mewtwo would be better being revealed in October (if the game isn't released before that). Mewtwo is obviously the most requested character, but I think Ridley and King K. Rool would be more hype worthy for the E3, since they would be actual newcomers, unlike the legendary Pokémon.
You brought up the best reason for Mewtwo at E3, though. He is the most requested character. And after seeing how much backlash Lucario got from people thinking he's replaced Mewtwo "again," it'd be the perfect time to put those doubts to rest.

I don't disagree at the idea of showing completely new Newcomers; K. Rool and/or Ridley alone could easily generate even more hype for Smash. But from the marketing side, showing the unquestionably most anticipated veteran-newcomer from the East & West during the show would be the best move. That isn't to say they can't show Mewtwo and Ridley at the same time, of course :upsidedown:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Completely off-topic, here, but last night I had a dream that Sakurai confirmed "Ridley" as a stage hazard. I put quotes around "Ridley" because it was really just a metal barrel painted to look like Meta Ridley. "Phantoon" was also there (but he gets the quotes too because it was really just a bunch of Monoeyes from Kid Icarus). Sakurai confirmed the real Ridley as a playable character later that day.

This morning, I woke up with a song in my heart.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
At this point I'm not really assuming anything as Ridley doesn't have a particular release or timeframe which he would be revealed though LIttle Mac nor Rosalina had any real reason for appearing when they did as far as I can tell. It's just seems to be whenever he decided to do it regardless of what role he actually plays.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Honestly the only real guess with any weight would be E3. If it was just about any other character (barring the likes of Mewtwo or K. Rool for example) we could easily pick whatever anniversaries or new game release dates. But for a hyped newcomer of this size, it could only be done properly at the biggest event of the year.

This is obviously assuming he is playable to begin with though.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
My memory of Other M is fuzzy, and I'm in no rush to return to it any time soon- did they ever say Ridley was a clone? What if instead of a clone they regenerated Ridley so it's the same one from Super Metroid?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The majority of the creatures in Other M were cloned from Samus' battle-damaged suit from the end of Super Metroid. So yes, it was implied Ridley was cloned alongside things like the Space Pirates, Metroids, etc..

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
So far, almost every character that I wanted playable in Smash has made the cut, there's only two left that need to make it, and Ridley is one of them. And as Sakurai said, the games don't stay true to scale. If that were the case, characters like Kirby and Olimar would be tiny specks on the field, since they are so tiny. Whilst Bowser would take up half of the screen. And with Samus's redesign to resemble more of Other M's, we might see Ridley finally take the stage since his character model is only slightly bigger than Bowser's SSB4 model.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
At this point I'm not really assuming anything as Ridley doesn't have a particular release or timeframe which he would be revealed though LIttle Mac nor Rosalina had any real reason for appearing when they did as far as I can tell. It's just seems to be whenever he decided to do it regardless of what role he actually plays.
You could make the argument for Little Mac's coinciding with the 30th anniversary of Punch Out, but then again Sakurai didn't really note it so that could've been a red herring. Regardless, Rosalina didn't have an anniversary so you are right that there's probably not a method to these reveals. Though having said that, it is fun to mess around with the options.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I suppose it's possible, apparantly Peach was release around Super Mario Bros annverisary so I suppose it's possible, but it seems to be more of a rare expection then the rule.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
With Little Mac's confirmation, we finally had another long awaited popular Nintendo All-Star finally confirmed for playable status in Smash Bros.

We are basically done with the first two months of 2014, and yet no concrete information on Ridley's status for Smash Bros. 4.

I seriously doubt Sakurai would unvei Ridley as a stage hazard or boss as part of the milestone celebration for Super Metroid's release. If I were him, "Stage Hazardly" would have been revealed a long time ago, or kept him in the shadows until release (which is why I'm still somewhat worried).

When I come to think of it, it seems very likely to me that he will be revealed on April 18th considering that it's the 20th anniversary of Super Metroid's release in North America, and that it's the perfect time to unveil another Nintendo Direct. There's also the possibility that he's a secret character, and that the Miiverse post was merely hinting that you would unlock him by playing on the Pyrosphere several times.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I suppose it's possible, apparantly Peach was release around Super Mario Bros annverisary so I suppose it's possible, but it seems to be more of a rare expection then the rule.
Lucario was also revealed to coincide with Brawl's anniversary, which is actually the only anniversary reveal which has been stated to be for that very reason.

I do however think that newcomers are going to be revealed quite randomly, and Little Mac's reveal was likely just a coincidence if anything.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
There's also the possibility that he's a secret character, and that the Miiverse post was merely hinting that you would unlock him by playing on the Pyrosphere several times.
That's actually an interesting idea. Many characters in Brawl were unlocked the same way, and it'd be a clever spin on the hint Sakurai gave us.

But it'd also mean we'd have to wait till launch to find out...

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
You could make the argument for Little Mac's coinciding with the 30th anniversary of Punch Out, but then again Sakurai didn't really note it so that could've been a red herring. Regardless, Rosalina didn't have an anniversary so you are right that there's probably not a method to these reveals. Though having said that, it is fun to mess around with the options.
He was revealed on valentines day and the only thing I can think of is a second date with DK if his artwork on the site means anything

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Calling it now, Sakurai is going to confirm playable Ridley on August 20 to celebrate the anniversary of the Pyrosphere reveal =p

Top Bottom