• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
"Have you ever read an opinion so stupid that you legitimately felt bad for that person's brain?"

Thanks to Gamefaqs, I have and still do see these things with astonishing regularity. I would call it despair-inducing but it's just Gamefaqs' "high standard" at work I guess.

EDIT: I forgot the air quotes. It's Gamefaqs' high standard, not an actual legitimate high standard. This is a valuable distinction to make.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
You people are absolutely cancer to the video game industry. Listen. Developers need to put what THEY want in the game because THEY are the ones making it. They spend years developing these games and speed very little time seeing their friends and family. They should consider listening to their fans but shouldn't have to fallow through. If I had to spend 16 hours a day, 6 days a week with **** pay to creat a piece of art that takes years to finish, you better be damn sure I will put what I want in it.

If you want Ridley, K. Rool, or whatever this awful fan base is wants nowadays, ruin your own lives making this game.

Boycott this game so those late nights that were spent away from the developer's kid's birthdays are in vain just because a piece of art is in the vision of the creators and not the viewers.
Gotta love sheep mentality! Sorry guy, but they are creating a product to be sold to a consumer base. If they don't satisfy that said consumer base, then they will lose money and customers. Pretty simple.

They spend years developing these games and speed very little time seeing their friends and family.
Literally made me laugh out loud. Sorry, but this isn't a charity.

Anyway on the subject of this thread i was wondering, what exactly is wrong with the other M design for ridley? I've seen multiple people express displeasure with it but i still don't understand why, it looks fine to me, and seems like the perfect candidate for a playable form of ridley...
The duck beak, the muscles (that no previous Ridley design had), the washed up purple color palette, the random spikes...

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Gee, isn't it interesting how Sakurai shows off pretty much every aspect of a stage near it's reveal?

Would certainly help show off the fact that a certain space pirate may not actually be a part of a stage this time around, huh?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ok....the fact that the logo in the boxing ring changes, has any purpose? because i found that really useless....

I think that a random nintendog watching tv is more useful...

Do you really think Sakurai is going to make that hole on Pyrosphere disappear when Ridley is on the stage as a playable character?

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That sort of "developer can do no wrong" attitude is disgusting. Sad thing is, so many people believe it with Smash. Everything Sakurai does is the right decision, obviously, whereas everything he doesn't do or everything he disagrees with was obviously the wrong decision. Funny, I can't find the link to it, since it was years ago, but I remember someone posting one of Sakurai's Famitsu columns where he praised Sakamoto for "taking risks in a different direction" with Other M or something to that effect. You guys will love that, I'm sure.

Point being, everyone has their own criteria for buying the game; the people who claim they'd buy it unconditionally are most likely being disingenuous, just because they have the luxury of the conditions they personally need met (e.g. gameplay that's not godawful, the bare bones basic characters) being met, because they'd never not be met. There's no need to lambast anyone whose criteria is different from your own, though if that never happened, we wouldn't have GameFAQs, now would we?

Anyways, I only skimmed the TooBigots' posts in that thread. I'm not worried about them, because even if Ridley is not in the game for whatever reason, they will have succeeded at doing nothing more than reducing their cause down to a pathetic meme, ridiculed by the vast, vast majority of the intelligent forumgoers. Whereas you see people becoming convinced that Ridley could work all the time, you never see anyone devolving into TooBigotry. They're a dying breed, made to seem more prominent than they are by attention-seekers on YouTube like that one guy who talks about turtles and anatomy and stuff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ridley is too goddamn big

of an epic character not to include. :troll:

(old joke is old, I know)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
View attachment 9137

@Ridley_Prime I HAD TO DO IT!! i couldn't stop laughing! and my hand was shaking! xD
Embarrass Late to the party, but I'm... glad at least one lame or tasteless joke I made gave someone a good laugh, let alone that it inspired the making of a glorious drawing such as this.. I'm honored, really.

xD I wish there was someone that could get a part of a beauty and the beast song lyrics modified for those two.....like they did with Ridley Kong xD
Like they did for Ridley Kong?... Come again?

Ya know...

I keep hearing people say that Ridley is overrated...

Is he becoming the new Sonic?
Not really. The few that say he's overrated I think are just people that don't fully understand why we want him as a character and find it odd that "some random cool dragon/boss" would be so highly requested. Some of them are just indifferent toward his inclusion though rather than against it, which I'll take over having more toobigots any day.

I always noticed how that particular Ridley fan-art had that Zedd kind of design to him. I knew I couldn't of been the only one who thought that!

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Surprise surprise.... I've had another thought to post! :o

So you know we all fear that lingering possibility that Sakurai would try and make the Other M Ridley "mutation" into a gimmick of a character instead of giving us actual Ridley.

...Now I think there's an extremely good chance Sakurai will NOT do this. Why?

...THIS! Right here!

...Little Birdie is a SPOILER! Sure, Other M is infamous and was (and occasionally still is) a hot button topic. And it seems by now everyone ought to know Little Birdie is Ridley. But the internet always has that tendency to think what it knows is common knowledge outside. But good chance it actually isn't common knowledge. There could still be plenty of people who are familiar with the Metroid series but have yet to play Other M. Thus they wouldn't know how Ridley is involved.

The thing is, there isn't a Smash character on the roster that spoils anything about their game. Not even Zero Suit Samus is a real spoiler. At this point if you didn't know Samus was a girl, you probably don't even care about the Metroid series. The closest to a spoiler things get is ZSS's paralyzer. But that doesn't need to be interpreted as anything other than a weapon she uses when not in her suit.

Little Birdie however is a major reveal in Other M's plot. Making a character around Ridley's mutation would completely give the surprise away for those who've not played Other M. I don't think Sakurai would do that unless he honestly didn't care about spoilers.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

So you know we all fear that lingering possibility that Sakurai would try and make the Other M Ridley "mutation" into a gimmick of a character instead of giving us actual Ridley.

...THIS! Right here!

...Little Birdie is a SPOILER! Sure, Other M is infamous and was (and occasionally still is) a hot button topic. And it seems by now everyone ought to know Little Birdie is Ridley. But the internet always has that tendency to think what it knows is common knowledge outside. But good chance it actually isn't common knowledge. There could still be plenty of people who are familiar with the Metroid series but have yet to play Other M. Thus they wouldn't know how Ridley is involved.

The thing is, there isn't a Smash character on the roster that spoils anything about their game. Not even Zero Suit Samus is a real spoiler. At this point if you didn't know Samus was a girl, you probably don't even care about the Metroid series. The closest to a spoiler things get is ZSS's paralyzer. But that doesn't need to be interpreted as anything other than a weapon she uses when not in her suit.

Little Birdie however is a major reveal in Other M's plot. Making a character around Ridley's mutation would completely give the surprise away for those who've not played Other M. I don't think Sakurai would do that unless he honestly didn't care about spoilers.
Sadly, I don't think Sakurai really cares about spoilers. The trophy for Lucas in Brawl has some pretty big spoilers...

But I still doubt Sakurai would base Ridley off of that kind of mechanic. Seems like too much effort to put into something that obviously wouldn't be well received.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
Sadly, I don't think Sakurai really cares about spoilers. The trophy for Lucas in Brawl has some pretty big spoilers...

But I still doubt Sakurai would base Ridley off of that kind of mechanic. Seems like too much effort to put into something that obviously wouldn't be well received.
the new pork city stage from brawl was another huge spoiler, i remember people being pretty pissed of when it was revealed on the brawl dojo. loads of people did not play mother 3 yet around that time, because we we're still hoping nintendo would also release it outside japan. porkey's boss batlle was another kick in the nuts

i don't think little biride will be included as a gimmick because it's a spoiler, but because it's only appearance is only in other m. it's the beginning of a new ridley, while the ridley we've known for many years did not give us little birdie. the ridley we are going to get for smash bros is probably a overall presentation of ridley through the years.

really, i don't see little birdie becoming more than a trophy, together with adolescent puberty ridley, and even beside that; ridley is probably going to have another gimmick to go for

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion

...THIS! Right here!

Unfortunately, I must raise a counterpoint: Sheik. Spoilers for the end of Ocarina of Time three years after the game came out.

Still, I don't see a mutation gimmick being used.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Wut. Someone has a "Ridley won't be playable" username. When you think you have seen everything...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Thanks for watching and enjoying the video. Just something I noticed with the Little mac stage and spirit tracks stage, it seems like a common thing, so why cant it apply to the metriod hazard? Heres hoping for that dragon!
It looks like your only possible half correct now the arena stage has 2 versions just like wario in brawl (mario world wario and wariware wario for costumes)

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Obviously if Ridley ends up playable we should be happy with whatever incarnation they decide to go with, but nonetheless I do hope it isn't his Other M form. Idk, something about that small head, almost pink body, just doesn't seem right. Also the argument as to why is because Other M Ridley could serve as the stage hazard for Pyrosphere while classic (Super Metroid) Ridley is playable.

Not to mention it'd give Sakurai the opportunity to troll the living daylights out of us by showing stage hazard Ridley first.
:glare:

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Watching shokio's & ultra's videos against Ridley

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
That location is obviously not referring to the Smash 4 roster.

EDIT: According to Google Maps, No Ridley is somewhere around the Philadelphia International Airport.

"TL;DR, You should buy a game because people worked hard on it, not because you want it."

This is too funny, man, like pure gold. With this in mind, "guys I just took a crap, you should buy it cuz I worked hard on it, duh" sounds like something smart to say.

Also @ UltimateWario UltimateWario I'm lovin' your avis, man, I believe I have said this before, but there is never enough Costanza in this world.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Obviously if Ridley ends up playable we should be happy with whatever incarnation they decide to go with, but nonetheless I do hope it isn't his Other M form. Idk, something about that small head, almost pink body, just doesn't seem right. Also the argument as to why is because Other M Ridley could serve as the stage hazard for Pyrosphere while classic (Super Metroid) Ridley is playable.

Not to mention it'd give Sakurai the opportunity to troll the living daylights out of us by showing stage hazard Ridley first.
I also feel that Sakurai could make M:OM Ridley a hazard and SM Ridley playable if Pyrosphere has a hazard at all. Which at this point, doesn't appear to be the case.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Watching shokio's & ultra's videos against Ridley

I had a discussion with him on Facebook, he's kinda reasonable but the whole point "Look how ugly this Ridley mod is that's because he can't be playable" it's pure ****. Also I pointed out how Pikachu is supposed to be like 1/10th of Charizard but he simply said that isn't the same thing. Double standards like always.

Still a very nice dude btw.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
With how much they're basing things off of Other M, it's going to be his Other M design.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Well its more likely for the other m ridley. But he might do a 50/50 split if playable (which is super metroid ridley being an alternate costume for Ridley)

But here's the bad new. His character trailer might start like that show him as a hazard then when we think its over ridley suddenly lands on the arena and then the banner pops up. (Ridley swoops in.) something like that

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I had a discussion with him on Facebook, he's kinda reasonable but the whole point "Look how ugly this Ridley mod is that's because he can't be playable" it's pure ****. Also I pointed out how Pikachu is supposed to be like 1/10th of Charizard but he simply said that isn't the same thing. Double standards like always.

Still a very nice dude btw.
I guess it's not the same thing because Charizard's anatomy isn't that of a dragons, so he's workable..... Wait a minute!

Staarih

Smash Master
Here's still hoping for an original Ridley design, with Other M design being the base to keep on par with Samus and to work maybe better in Smash, but with hints of older looks here and there to keep the iconic/most known Ridley in there somewhere too.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
while Other M Ridley is better than no Ridley, Super Metroid Ridley is superior to Other M Ridley 1000x over.

that's my opinion on the matter.

also, just because samus was redesigned to match her other M appearance, and because a stage was from other M, doesn't mean Ridley will take his other-M appearance.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
while Other M Ridley is better than no Ridley, Super Metroid Ridley is superior to Other M Ridley 1000x over.

that's my opinion on the matter.

also, just because samus was redesigned to match her other M appearance, and because a stage was from other M, doesn't mean Ridley will take his other-M appearance.
It's in an area from the game where he appears in, Would be all the more fitting really.
But then again, there is Skyloft with TP Link and Zelda.

Top Bottom