• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Anyone seen this yet?

(Yes, Ridley is in it)
Because I'm lazy about repeating myself,

As expected, the comments section is filled with disdain of how the video made Samus sound like a Disney princess which is even worse than her Other M self and blahblahblah. :p I liked it though for what it was worth. Pretty much all of it, including the Ridley and Mother Brain bits, and the little details like freezing a Ripper with the ice beam, etc. And to think it had been worked on since 2011... Never underestimate the power of some fans.
Those are my thoughts/first impressions on it.

:D WOW! that animation is awesome! and Ridley looks amazing! :love:....I really want to see a Metroid movie someday, but that it does NOT turns out as Disney romance musical type movie....The only reason i would see it, is because Ridley would appear on it...
Aw, why not a Disney romance musical? You know you'd want to see a Beauty and the Beast kind of take on Ridley and Samus. :troll:

But yeah, ever since I saw this live action Super Metroid commercial back in the day with Ridley breaking into the Ceres station, I've imagined how epic it would be to see him in all his CGI glory, and if he were to speak he would talk like one of the dragons from Dragonheart or something, except would be more evilz of course.

So Oasis is back out of lurking again huh? I've... got nothing on that that hasn't already been said, but welcome back.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Say, are there any Metroid fan sites that near-universally want Ridley playable? I'm asking this because the Metroid Database is infested with trolls and too bigots, and is a shadow of its former self. It just doesn't seem to fit to me that only Smash fans want the main villain of Metroid in as a playable character, so there has to be at least one fan community that's all for him.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Aw, why not a Disney romance musical? You know you'd want to see a Beauty and the Beast kind of take on Ridley and Samus. :troll:

But yeah, ever since I saw this live action Super Metroid commercial back in the day with Ridley breaking into the Ceres station, I've imagined how epic it would be to see him in all his CGI glory, and if he were to speak he would talk like one of the dragons from Dragonheart or something, except would be more evilz of course.
xD Oh my God.....beauty and the beast take by those two? I MUST make a drawing of that!......I never laughed so hard!!.....And yeah i have seen that old commercial before, too bad that only Ridley's hand holding the baby metroid appears on it....and Ridley talking....i need to hear those other dragons to give me an idea...

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Say, are there any Metroid fan sites that near-universally want Ridley playable? I'm asking this because the Metroid Database is infested with trolls and too bigots, and is a shadow of its former self. It just doesn't seem to fit to me that only Smash fans want the main villain of Metroid in as a playable character, so there has to be at least one fan community that's all for him.
Unfortunately, no, I don't believe there are any "big" Metroid forums besides the Metroid database, which is, as you said, DOA.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I was very impressed with that Ridley model and it's animations. that's kinda what I always pictured him looking like in smash bros.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
JUST LOOK AT THIS

it's very well done, and I expect smash's to be even better!

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
JUST LOOK AT THIS

That is really good! You are right
People that say Ridleys character is based on Size....look how intimadating that looks.

Also your pic is better with just the Beedrill plz.

LmAoooooooooo (not trolling be honest but justt soo funny reguardless)

RealTalk

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
JUST LOOK AT THIS

Wow, such art. So evil. Much Ridley. Love the proportions of his wings and tail.

This picture actually makes me want him to have his SM/ZM design in Smash even more.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
yeah, I absolutely LOVE that design. better than other M

scaling down Super Metroid design would do a lot less "damage to Ridley's character" than if they included other M Ridley at any size.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
yeah, I absolutely LOVE that design. better than other M

scaling down Super Metroid design would do a lot less "damage to Ridley's character" than if they included other M Ridley at any size.
To be honest, I feel that the Other M model looks better scaled down.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
To be honest, I feel that the Other M model looks better scaled down.
alright, I respect your opinion.

......wait, do you mean the model itself looks better scaled down than at it's current size, or do you mean better than the super metroid one?

because frankly, there's nothing more iconic than the super metoid one when it comes to ridley. and for good reason, too.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I agree, the Other M model does look better scaled down. And considering it will probably be improved for Smash Bros. and won't literally just be the Other M model, I have an optimistic opinion on how Ridley will turn out.

Blackmamba618

Smash Rookie
add me to list of supporters. Also, would someone be so kind as to create a Ridley model with Other M body(including neck) and prime head, and then do the whole size comparison thing? :) This would be the type of model i'd want to see in SSB4

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well remember feburary 22nd picture

This video may have some pointers

His idea is stages change dependent on which characters are on the stage so the hole could disappear when Ridley is on the stage

(What helps the theory is the punch out logo is on while little mac is on the stage and in the diddy kong picture of him hitting mario its saids smash bros on the banner not punch-out. So little mac may not be on the stage)

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't know. Ridley being a stage hazard in general seems off to me because Sakurai would be have to essentially be copying Dead or Alive to do that.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
JUST LOOK AT THIS

Does anyone have a comparison of that design downsized next to Samus and co? I think that could decide if the design could work or not.

In response to majora_787, Ridley not being a stage hazard feels off to me. No, I'm not saying that is what he's guaranteed to be 100%, but...

Like I mentioned before, the Pyrosphere seems too neutral as far as Metroid stages go. With Brinstar, Zebes, and Norfair, we had lava rising all over the place, and with Brinstar Depths and Frigate Orpheon, the environment would flip/rotate, changing the layout of the stage. In the Pyrosphere, all we have is, well, a flat stage with some platforms thrown on the sides. Not that I would mind a neutral Metroid stage for once, but we know how Sakurai can be with this.

Also, another thing to note is the platform placement, which as I mentioned before, are thrown at the main platform's end at each side, leaving a big, open gap in the middle, seemingly letting room for a giant stage hazard to occur.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
In response to majora_787, Ridley not being a stage hazard feels off to me. No, I'm not saying that is what he's guaranteed to be 100%, but...

Like I mentioned before, the Pyrosphere seems too neutral as far as Metroid stages go. With Brinstar, Zebes, and Norfair, we had lava rising all over the place, and with Brinstar Depths and Frigate Orpheon, the environment would flip/rotate, changing the layout of the stage. In the Pyrosphere, all we have is, well, a flat stage with some platforms thrown on the sides. Not that I would mind a neutral Metroid stage for once, but we know how Sakurai can be with this.

Also, another thing to note is the platform placement, which as I mentioned before, are thrown at the main platform's end at each side, leaving a big, open gap in the middle, seemingly letting room for a giant stage hazard to occur.
Wouldn't this not having a hazard be a good thing then? One of the major complaints is that Metroid's stages are too "samey" which almost all having lava and all of them having hazards. It being neutral would actually allow it to stand out.

Also, I looked at the stage again and I noticed that the platforms are placed at two different heights and are spaced out a bit horizontally from each other, which is reminiscent of a certain lava stage...

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I dunno, I just feel like he's more likely to make a neutral Metroid stage or turn the Pyrosphere into a rising lava stage than he is to rip off another game.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think Ridley's chances are pretty high. He has literally nothing going against him.

Sakurai isn't going to spend all of this time teasing us and then go "Ha, no, he's just a Stage Hazard". There's just too much evidence that Sakurai is savvy to Ridley's situation for him to write him off again. You may see plenty of dissent on other boards (or even on this one), but the truth is, Ridley has everything needed to make a great addition to Smash and more.

He's #1 in line for a series that is sorely lacking representation and variety. Metroid is a big, popular series (in the West, which is nothing to scoff at, because Zelda's not huge in Japan either), one with plenty of fans and a (mostly) great reputation. Ridley's also highly requested over here, and still has a decent following in Japan.

Things are looking very good for Ridley.

Last edited:

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I think the main issue with Ridley would be that he is a super-heavyweight flying type character. Super-heavyweight and flying would make him fall faster than he can fly upwards. If they made him light-weight so that he would be able to actually fly he would still be, at the least to avoid looking odd, about Bowser's size. This would make him a very, very, easy target and cause him to possibly be the worst character in the game tier-wise

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Lol.....

Calm down everyone...Ridley is playable alright....Me and Sakurai had some tea and crumpets in the morning today in nearby cafe me being from London and all we were both sitting cross legged in suits sitting on raised chairs.

RealT....

No..i cant say that...its a lie..sorry...that never happened...

Although i have thought about it a couple times when i do walk by my local cafe in the morning...but then a translater would need to be present and that just makes it.....(-_-)...you..know...

Less Cool....

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think the main issue with Ridley would be that he is a super-heavyweight flying type character. Super-heavyweight and flying would make him fall faster than he can fly upwards. If they made him light-weight so that he would be able to actually fly he would still be, at the least to avoid looking odd, about Bowser's size. This would make him a very, very, easy target and cause him to possibly be the worst character in the game tier-wise
Weight ≠ Fall Speed. Fox is light as a feather, yet falls like a stone. I think most of us expect Ridley to have a slow/below average fall speed.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Tiers don't entirely matter in and of themselves in this context for starters.

But a thing to note is, he would presumably be heavier, and he would be able to have multiple jumps and presumably glide. These are issues held by Charizard and King Dedede who as far as I know aren't "the worst characters in the game". He would also presumably have a long reach comparable to Dedede as well as projectile options. He can be heavy and fly, and if he is heavy and powerful with projectiles I don't see why on a basic level it would be so impossible for him to survive in a fight that he would be the worst character in the game.

And even if he ended up being terrible, it's not like people don't want Ganondorf to be in Smash Bros. anymore because he was bad.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think Ridley's chances are pretty high. He has literally nothing going against him..
He does have one problem: Does Sakurai think he is a appropriate character for Smash?

No anti-Ridley-ism here, but I feel as things like fan support and importance can crumble if Sakurai can't figure a right way to make it work, as far as play-ability goes at least.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
He does have one problem: Does Sakurai think he is a appropriate character for Smash?
I suppose so, but you could literally bring that up about any possible character.

He has said that he would work before, but that was in an interview full of contradictions and other nonsense, so I don't think it's a reliable source any longer.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

No anti-Ridley-ism here, but I feel as things like fan support and importance can crumble if Sakurai can't figure a right way to make it work, as far as play-ability goes at least.
I would think Sakurai has enough creativity to make that work.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That's a question we have to ask for every character we want. Does he think King K. Rool would be a good character? What about Dixie? Pac-Man? Miis? Etc. Every character could be deemed inappropriate in Sakurai's eyes and we won't have a clue which ones until we have the roster. If he does, we'll see our purple dragon duking it out with apes in ponytails, kosplaying krocodiles and avatars.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Does anyone have a comparison of that design downsized next to Samus and co? I think that could decide if the design could work or not.

At this point, I'm convinced that the Pyrosphere is yet another "rising lava" Metroid stage. Why? Because this picture here shows the presence of lava below the stage.

There's also the position of the platforms, which call back to Norfair in SSBB like others have said. Why else draw attention to it when showing off the stage for the first time? Some might argue that leaving it a black void would be unusual, but I don't think that's the case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom