• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
At this point, I'm convinced that the Pyrosphere is yet another "rising lava" Metroid stage. Why? Because this picture here shows the presence of lava below the stage.

There's also the position of the platforms, which call back to Norfair in SSBB like others have said. Why else draw attention to it when showing off the stage for the first time? Some might argue that leaving it a black void would be unusual, but I don't think that's the case.
I actually think that the lava could just be for decoration, and the stage is actually hazard-less. This is just from looking at the all the footage we've seen of the Pyrosphere, particularly that of Rosalina's trailer where the Pyrosphere is used for multiple combo demonstrations. I would think they wouldn't choose a hazardous stage to record complex footage like that.

Well, that's what I think, at least. Either way, that's a plus for Ridley.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Looking at the Phyrosphere and it seems like its walled off. If there is a stage hazard it could be the Vorash and if you fall too low he will jump up and pull you into the lava with him.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
alright, I respect your opinion.

......wait, do you mean the model itself looks better scaled down than at it's current size, or do you mean better than the super metroid one?

because frankly, there's nothing more iconic than the super metoid one when it comes to ridley. and for good reason, too.
The latter, as lanky Ridley looks a little more awkward when compared to Roidley.

At this point, I'm convinced that the Pyrosphere is yet another "rising lava" Metroid stage. Why? Because this picture here shows the presence of lava below the stage.

There's also the position of the platforms, which call back to Norfair in SSBB like others have said. Why else draw attention to it when showing off the stage for the first time? Some might argue that leaving it a black void would be unusual, but I don't think that's the case.
There goes tourney legality. :rolleyes:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Sakurai's only statement about Ridley being in smash bros. was that he "probably could have made him work if he tried", and that he would be "slow". Nothing about him calling Ridley inappropriate for Smash Bros., and definitely no mention of being too big.

Though worth noting, Villager WAS stated by Sakurai to be inappropriate for Smash bros. and a definite no-go. ... He was then confirmed at E3 as a playable character, so I mean.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pretty sure the lava is there for looks.

I seriously doubt Pyrosphere having a hazard of any kind.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I want Crocomire's skull jumping out of the lave as the stage hazard. Yep, that makes no sense, but it would be ****ing cool.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If Pyrosphere had various fire/lava-oriented Metroid bosses jumping out to attack you, it would completely erase my unfair bias against it being an Other M level.

Maybe, in the background, we could have a ginormous 16-bit sprite of Ridley pass through as a callback to Smash 64's Zebes stage. :troll:
Fixed.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Well remember feburary 22nd picture

This video may have some pointers

His idea is stages change dependent on which characters are on the stage so the hole could disappear when Ridley is on the stage

(What helps the theory is the punch out logo is on while little mac is on the stage and in the diddy kong picture of him hitting mario its saids smash bros on the banner not punch-out. So little mac may not be on the stage)
Thanks for watching and enjoying the video. Just something I noticed with the Little mac stage and spirit tracks stage, it seems like a common thing, so why cant it apply to the metriod hazard? Heres hoping for that dragon!

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
10/10 would watch

the lyrics would be so awkward too

I know you killed my parents but... somehow that twinkle in his eyes

no sorry i cant
xD I wish there was someone that could get a part of a beauty and the beast song lyrics modified for those two.....like they did with Ridley Kong xD

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
I actually seriously doubt that Pryosphere will have rising lava. Hopefully the stage won't have any hazards at all.

And the whole "possibly the hole is covered up if Ridley is on the stage." If that's true, then I must seriously ask: what is the point of these variant stages at all? I mean, the logo changes in the Boxing Ring is pointless enough, and I can't believe they would waste development in patching a hole when a certain character ist on the stage...but then again, they seemed to have wasted time in developing two different punch-out stages...

The latter, as lanky Ridley looks a little more awkward when compared to Roidley.
I think "lanky" Ridley can work, actually. As I've said before, the problem is that Brawl's model overall is just super weird and disproportionate in general, which is why It doesn't work to well (and why people need to stop using it for comparisons, as it does more damage to Ridley Support then helps it). However, if they were to remake Super Metroid or Zero Mission Ridley for Smash it could probably work just as well as Other M Ridley.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I actually seriously doubt that Pryosphere will have rising lava. Hopefully the stage won't have any hazards at all.

And the whole "possibly the hole is covered up if Ridley is on the stage." If that's true, then I must seriously ask: what is the point of these variant stages at all? I mean, the logo changes in the Boxing Ring is pointless enough, and I can't believe they would waste development in patching a hole when a certain character isn't on the stage...but then again, they seemed to have wasted time in developing two different punch-out stages...
Concerning Punch-Out, I'd reckon that it's because each franchise - including Newcomers - will have a minimum of one stage per system.

We already know that there is an Animal Crossing stage for both the Wii U and 3DS, for instance. I'm expecting a Wii Fit and a Mega Man stage for the 3DS to be revealed in the future. We won't get a Mario Galaxy stage for the 3DS, however, since Rosalina is already part of the Mario franchise.

When it comes to Punch-Out, It is simply that Little Mac only has boxing rings going for his franchise of origin, hence the duplication across both systems (Wii Fit may also be subjected to the same fate).

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said. Cosmetic differences (like the Smash-Punch Out rings) seem rather arbitrary to me as well (though I do appreciate the Alfonzo thing, especially in the advent of his hilarious meme output XD).

I think "lanky" Ridley can work, actually. As I've said before, the problem is that Brawl's model overall is just super weird and disproportionate in general, which is why I doesn't work to well (and why people need to stop using it for comparisons, as it does more damage to Ridley Support then helps it). However, if they were to remake Super Metroid or Zero Mission Ridley for Smash it could probably work just as well as Other M Ridley.
They'll certainly model him to have proportions that work for a playable fighter. A slightly refined Other M Ridley is the most probable design, but I certainly wouldn't oppose a Classic Ridley design, or even a brand new one (having different designs as alternate costumes is also most acceptable).

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
As I see Pyrosphere stage is either a hazardless stage or a another lava rising stage like Norfair.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Thread - "Your Honest Reaction If Ridley is Actually a Stage Hazard"

He was made to be a stage hazard.

EDIT: And I would be totally okay with that because lolridleyplayablelol
SO you guys saying if Ridley not in you won't buy it. One character who never been in wont stop me from buying it. Plus I would laugh if Ridley is not in. I'll be fine with Lucas(if he in) Kirby, T.link and Wii Fit Trainer(will be my new main) anyways so i don't care whose in or not.
After a few people saying they wouldn't buy the game-

You people are absolutely cancer to the video game industry. Listen. Developers need to put what THEY want in the game because THEY are the ones making it. They spend years developing these games and speed very little time seeing their friends and family. They should consider listening to their fans but shouldn't have to fallow through. If I had to spend 16 hours a day, 6 days a week with **** pay to creat a piece of art that takes years to finish, you better be damn sure I will put what I want in it.

If you want Ridley, K. Rool, or whatever this awful fan base is wants nowadays, ruin your own lives making this game.

Boycott this game so those late nights that were spent away from the developer's kid's birthdays are in vain just because a piece of art is in the vision of the creators and not the viewers.

TL;DR, You should buy a game because people worked hard on it, not because you want it.
He'd be where he belongs, as a boss/hazard.
Among a lot of members, there's a mentality that, if you want/think Ridley will get in, you're an idiot. Nothing new there. The thing is, as Ridley gets more and more likely (obvious, even), the hatred seems to become more and more venomous and fiery.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"TL;DR, You should buy a game because people worked hard on it, not because you want it."

I don't even...

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Thread - "Your Honest Reaction If Ridley is Actually a Stage Hazard"
Among a lot of members, there's a mentality that, if you want/think Ridley will get in, you're an idiot. Nothing new there. The thing is, as Ridley gets more and more likely (obvious, even), the hatred seems to become more and more venomous and fiery.
To the authors of those posts, particularly that third one:

Well, excuse us for wanting Nintendo All-Stars in a game meant for Nintendo All-Stars.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Anyway on the subject of this thread i was wondering, what exactly is wrong with the other M design for ridley? I've seen multiple people express displeasure with it but i still don't understand why, it looks fine to me, and seems like the perfect candidate for a playable form of ridley...

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Guys, guys, the bolded stuff is mine. I was just summing up what the guy was saying, although he did essentially say that exact sentence later on.

Anyway on the subject of this thread i was wondering, what exactly is wrong with the other M design for ridley? I've seen multiple people express displeasure with it but i still don't understand why, it seems fine to me...
Personally, it's many small things rather than one large flaw. The upturned, thin, duck-like beak, the pink spikes of villainy, the huge muscles...they all just look...un-Ridley. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I greatly prefer the lithe, sleek, serpentine Ridley from Prime.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
TL;DR, You should buy a game because people worked hard on it, not because you want it.
Um, what?

I'm sorry, what?

Edit:
Guys, guys, the bolded stuff is mine. I was just summing up what the guy was saying, although he did essentially say that exact sentence later on.
...My response is still the same.

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Anyway on the subject of this thread i was wondering, what exactly is wrong with the other M design for ridley? I've seen multiple people express displeasure with it but i still don't understand why, it looks fine to me, and seems like the perfect candidate for a playable form or ridley...
Those random spikes and that duck beak.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well the fan picture is pretty

But at this point I'm sure ridley is not a stage hazard

Oh by the way I think the hole will disappear when Ridley is on the arena

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
"TL;DR, You should buy a game because people worked hard on it, not because you want it."

But we're all selfish, we don't care if fifty-seven people died making it, I'd rather get a game that i really want that a 9 year old worked on for a week. :troll:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ya know...

I keep hearing people say that Ridley is overrated...

Is he becoming the new Sonic?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You should buy a game because people worked hard on it, not because you want it.
That's just stupid. That's like saying you're supposed to pay for every little thing people churn out from their work, no matter how half-assed it turns out.

Imagine that if Nintendo decided to throw out the entire roster except Mario in SSB5, replacing them with his different transformations and identities. All of the Marios are more or less identical with nothing really distinguishing them each other, to the point that they all have the same Final Smash.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Anyway on the subject of this thread i was wondering, what exactly is wrong with the other M design for ridley? I've seen multiple people express displeasure with it but i still don't understand why, it looks fine to me, and seems like the perfect candidate for a playable form of ridley...
My only problem with his Other M design is that his face isn't as... his skull is just not... it looks like you could rip his... beak(?) right off. Like it has no bones in it and is just a flap with teeth.

Though I have no doubt that it would be improved in the transition into SSB4. :p

Also I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to start something but "random spikes" complaints always remind me of genwunners. :B

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Imagine that if Nintendo decided to throw out the entire roster except Mario in SSB5, replacing them with his different transformations and identities. All of the Marios are more or less identical with nothing really distinguishing them each other, to the point that they all have the same Final Smash.
SUPER MARIO BROS!

.....oh wait

Top Bottom