• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Please not a Fusion stage... Or a fusion anything...
It's gonna happen anyway. We already had Brinstar with acid and Norfair with lava. The next logical step is Sector 4 with electric water. :awesome:

Plus, Fusion is an awesome game with plenty of environments to choose from anyway. I don't see what's the problem there.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Personally there's a lot that Fusion can offer despite being on a space station. The SR388 sector for instance has some nice varied environments that could be used for a stage (including acid...). There's also some like Sector 4 and 6 which allows for some unique ideas to be worked with as well.

So I hope there is a Fusion stage, though I wouldn't be surprised if Zero Mission gets more love on that front.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Personally there's a lot that Fusion can offer despite being on a space station. The SR388 sector for instance has some nice varied environments that could be used for a stage (including acid...). There's also some like Sector 4 and 6 which allows for some unique ideas to be worked with as well.

So I hope there is a Fusion stage.
Well it came out after fusion so that makes sense

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Completely off-topic, here, but last night I had a dream that Sakurai confirmed "Ridley" as a stage hazard. I put quotes around "Ridley" because it was really just a metal barrel painted to look like Meta Ridley. "Phantoon" was also there (but he gets the quotes too because it was really just a bunch of Monoeyes from Kid Icarus). Sakurai confirmed the real Ridley as a playable character later that day.

This morning, I woke up with a song in my heart.
what in the world have you been smoking

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Do you know what the proper translation of the japanese quote is?
きょうの一枚。 おもむろに新ステージ紹介。 『メトロイド Other M』より、パイロスフィア! サムスのトラウマも、登場するかもしれない……。

One piece today.
New stage introduction Omomuroni.
From "Metroid Other M", Pyro Sphere!
Trauma of Samus also, ... that may appear.
This is a rough google translate. From my japanese friend it basically says, "Samus's trauma may also appear." It's pretty clear he's referring to Ridley in a really cryptic way. Just look how he finishes the sentence with the ellipsis. He's talking about Ridley but in what capacity is anyone's guess. Because of how this was worded and Sakurai's silly and trollful nature I am now heavily leaning toward playable though.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
きょうの一枚。 おもむろに新ステージ紹介。 『メトロイド Other M』より、パイロスフィア! サムスのトラウマも、登場するかもしれない……。

This is a rough google translate. From my japanese friend it basically says, "Samus's trauma may also appear." It's pretty clear he's referring to Ridley in a really cryptic way. Just look how he finishes the sentence with the ellipsis. He's talking about Ridley but in what capacity is anyone's guess. Because of how this was worded and Sakurai's silly and trollful nature I am now heavily leaning toward playable though.
It seems like he's referring to the events of the game, I think whoever translated that is the troll

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
It seems like he's referring to the events of the game, I think whoever translated that is the troll
He has definitely commented on epic battles or moments from games when revealing stages. When revealing Norfair on the brawl dojo this is what the english translation had to say. "Norfair is the location in Metroid where the enemy boss Ridley was. There was a lot of lava, and it seemed like a rather hot area." There was just nothing ambiguous about it. As apposed to the pre-Galaxy reveal pic of the day. "Pic of the day. Isn't Kirby drawn with a familiar artsy style?" It was obvious to many what he was talking about and not so obvious to others but it was clear he was hinting at something that wasn't Battle Field at night, despite how hard others were saying that was exactly the case.

If he had just come out and said the trauma thing as straight forward as "FYI she's an assist trophy" I would take it your way. But it's just too sneaky to mean one thing or another for my tastes. But you could be right, we'll see.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Finally finished. Took way longer than it should have because I over-complicate the process. :rolleyes:

Thanks to AndreaAC for letting me know Flipnote even had a GIF option.
OH MY! i love it~! :3

Oh, that song. How could I forget?! lol As for your latest pic, I get why you made it and can definitely understand not being a fan of the Other M evolution line, but that scenario's just a tad bit sadistic, even for me. To be fair though, that is prolly how Ridley would react to an infant version of himself or his species, so...
oh, wait...you think that the drawing is sadistic???:ohwell: well, i mean, Ridley is sadistic, and if you knew what was my original idea before i made the drawing, it was way more violent and bloody maybe, but i tought that it would take too much time..., I think if i got a free time, I will make another drawing....and yeah, i don't like that evolution thing, and never will, so for me....The Real Original Ridley never had such thing as that evolutionary line...nor that Roid appearence...

Sorry if i sounded too aggressive...

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Dunno wth that is but i like it so sure :)
Ridley-2 (or possibly Ridley-Z) is an unused Ridley form from Metroid: Zero Mission which possessed a third claw on the end of his tail, likely for grabbing Samus with extended reach. He also appears to have wings on his arms as opposed to their own separate pair of limbs. This form was only seen in concept art and may not have made it past that stage of development.

... is what the Metroid WIki tells me

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well that's something.

And really I don't feel like I should even have to explain the problem with Metroid Fusion because when I played it 90% of its problems were glaringly obvious but this isn't the thread for me to complain about anything other than its terrible depiction of Ridley. Or well I guess it's clone-Ridley. Its terrible depiction of Clone Ridley. Both are accurate.

Anyway I doubt we'd be seeing Ridley-Z. I mean for starters it would randomly be a Zero-Mission design for no reason and is kind of like if they added Dark Meta Ridley. And second off, Ridley has been pretty solidly depicted without the whole tail-claw thing going on. I don't really know why they would add it now.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Well that's something.

And really I don't feel like I should even have to explain the problem with Metroid Fusion because when I played it 90% of its problems were glaringly obvious but this isn't the thread for me to complain about anything other than its terrible depiction of Ridley. Or well I guess it's clone-Ridley. Its terrible depiction of Clone Ridley. Both are accurate.

Anyway I doubt we'd be seeing Ridley-Z. I mean for starters it would randomly be a Zero-Mission design for no reason and is kind of like if they added Dark Meta Ridley. And second off, Ridley has been pretty solidly depicted without the whole tail-claw thing going on. I don't really know why they would add it now.
It would be interesting but It's not a completely serious suggestion.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Whenever I think of RIdley vs his clone/Roidley I can't help but imagine Gojira/Godzilla vs American Godzilla/Zilla from Godzilla from Final Wars.

The thought of Roidley being obsessed with fish might explain the excess bulk.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Whenever I think of RIdley vs his clone/Roidley I can't help but imagine Gojira/Godzilla vs American Godzilla/Zilla from Godzilla from Final Wars.

The thought of Roidley being obsessed with fish might explain the excess bulk.
That's a lot of fish, huh?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
So, real talk, has anyone ever put the "too big" argument in our favor? Think about it for a second- because players might have a hard time seeing characters, for the 3DS version, they added outlines. The outlines help the player to see better on smaller screens. I'd say if the character is big, that alone would help the player see them and the outline would only help. Ridley being large could be a good thing after all...

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The problem with that argument would likely lead people pointing to the smaller character stating how it doesn't matter and immediately return back to other arguments about him being too big. I don't think it would do much in that case.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
While we're apparently on the subject, here's a question I'd like to ask those who use the "too big" argument: What is "too big?" Is there a specific size characters have to be in order to be in Smash? How is it classified? What's the limit, and how is it measured? How do we know for sure that a character is "too big?" What evidence is there to back this up that is not opinion based?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The only thing I can assume it is either a character that could not be scaled down effectively, a size that causes some time of weird balance issue, or is too big for the stage elements that are created.

A lot of it seems to come down to the idea that if you scale down Ridley you are diminishing him somehow.

Zynux

Smash Lord
I understand where you are coming from. Extremely linear, annoying AI computer that felt the need to break the flow of gameplay every two seconds just to tell me where to go instead of having me explore the place, awful suit design, boring setting in general (and why they rehashed it in Other M is beyond me). I loved the game, but for its definitely one of the weaker Metroids. The SA-X sections were legit awesome though.

Ridley-2 (or possibly Ridley-Z) is an unused Ridley form from Metroid: Zero Mission which possessed a third claw on the end of his tail, likely for grabbing Samus with extended reach. He also appears to have wings on his arms as opposed to their own separate pair of limbs. This form was only seen in concept art and may not have made it past that stage of development.

... is what the Metroid WIki tells me
Having a claw at the end of his tail? Ew, definitely doesn't sound all that great. And I never liked having wings on the arms. Almost always looks silly to me unless its specifically based off the wyvern design.

I'm still holding hope for a Maridia stage. But I digress, that doesn't have anything to do with Ridley.
Out of Curiosity: Underwater Maridia? Or Sand Maridia? Mixture of both?

Finally finished. Took way longer than it should have because I over-complicate the process. :rolleyes:

Thanks to AndreaAC for letting me know Flipnote even had a GIF option.
Beautiful! :)

He already revealed an enemy from Samus' past on the Pyrosphere.

View attachment 9250
I'm almost 100% positive he's referring to Ridley. Why would he reference Mother Brain on Pyrosphere, of all places? Besides, if the original Japanese does reference trauma, then that can be only Ridley. Mother Brain may have been a big bad, but she did not inflict even a fraction of trauma that Ridley inflicted.

Woop woop moar Ridley for ya, guys.

(can anyone tell me how to make it smaller/thumbnails and how to make spoiler tags? I don't want to inconvenience everybody with huge posts all the time)
Pretty damn impressive. I love it!

While we're apparently on the subject, here's a question I'd like to ask those who use the "too big" argument: What is "too big?" Is there a specific size characters have to be in order to be in Smash? How is it classified? What's the limit, and how is it measured? How do we know for sure that a character is "too big?" What evidence is there to back this up that is not opinion based?
Too big is essentially they feel that a character can't be properly resized while remaining true to his character. They feel that it would look weird or awkward. There's nothing objective about it.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The only characters that I'd legitimately call too big are characters like Kraid that are actually defined by their size. In the Metroid games, Ridley is actually one of the smaller characters, so he obviously doesn't fit that criteria. Kraid, on the other hand, is used as a towering background character that turns the stage around in Melee. That's something that can be used as a legitimate counterargument.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
The only characters that I'd legitimately call too big are characters like Kraid that are actually defined by their size. In the Metroid games, Ridley is actually one of the smaller characters, so he obviously doesn't fit that criteria. Kraid, on the other hand, is used as a towering background character that turns the stage around in Melee. That's something that can be used as a legitimate counterargument.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if people end up supporting Kraid for Smash Bros for Super Wii UU HD or something.

Also, NES Kraid. :troll:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Then were does being too small fit into this, olimar is supposed to be small, that's his character yet in smash he's only slightly shorter than mario when he should really be able to crush him without even noticing

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if people end up supporting Kraid for Smash Bros for Super Wii UU HD or something.

Also, NES Kraid. :troll:
Hardware limitations of the time :onlyhalftroll:
Then were does being too small fit into this, olimar is supposed to be small, that's his character yet in smash he's only slightly shorter than mario when he should really be able to crush him without even noticing
Because we see Pikmin from Olimar's perspective. If we were seeing the game from the size of a typical human, yeah, it would be an issue. But we're not.

Then again, I could be entirely wrong about this. Since canon doesn't matter anyways, seeing as they're all toys, it's possible anyone could be fit in. Even characters like Kraid.

Top Bottom