• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Woop woop moar Ridley for ya, guys.

(can anyone tell me how to make it smaller/thumbnails and how to make spoiler tags? I don't want to inconvenience everybody with huge posts all the time)
AWESOME.... :) Really

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, not looking forward to these next weeks/months of speculation with that quote alone, and not just for Ridley's sake. If someone can give a sensible reason to feel more positive again, I'm all ears.

@ Andrea: Nah, you're good. Don't really have anything more to add to that subject though (of original Ridley versus clone), but it's fine.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm not really worried. Not to sound heartless, but if Waluigi and his fans "try hard" then Ridley and his fanbase have their foot in the door and are in the process of successfully delivering a fatal suplex to the entire building.

The only thing that's going to matter is how the people inside handle that situation. :p Though really people are willing to say literally anything deconfirms Ridley. How much are you guys willing to bed if Ridley gets confirmed, people will take his newcomer trailer as deconfirmation? Especially on Gamefaqs.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am not worried either. Ridley isn't a random Mario character, he is the nemeses of Metroid's main character, so the comparisons people are drawing between them are utterly ridiculous. Of course, I have my doubts Ridley will be playable (and I hope to god he is, if only to piss off toobigots and some annoying users on neogaf), but the comment on today's PotD is the less of my concerns.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm not really worried. Not to sound heartless, but if Waluigi and his fans "try hard" then Ridley and his fanbase have their foot in the door and are in the process of successfully delivering a fatal suplex to the entire building.

The only thing that's going to matter is how the people inside handle that situation. :p Though really people are willing to say literally anything deconfirms Ridley. How much are you guys willing to bed if Ridley gets confirmed, people will take his newcomer trailer as deconfirmation? Especially on Gamefaqs.
Well, they would probably use the typical argument of "thatain'tRidley" and say that the true Ridley will never be in Smash, and what we got was a horrid abomination that doesn't deserve the title of Ridley.

Yeah, that's one way they could pull that off.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Waluigi is a spin-off character in a franchise which already has 5 playable representatives and his fanbase has always been in the middle-ground.
Ridley is a main character in a franchise with 1.5 representatives and his fanbase is a larger than life group that is constantly poking Sakurai in the head.
The only similarity is that they're both purple people.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Waluigi is a spin-off character in a franchise which already has 5 playable representatives and his fanbase has always been in the middle-ground.
Ridley is a main character in a franchise with 1.5 representatives and his fanbase is a larger than life group that is constantly poking Sakurai in the head.
They're both kinda skinny too :p

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yea I saw it too

And as for this

Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle.

What does he mean try hard?

I know those I hate ridley is going to be poking at us for weeks but this does not deconfirm ridley

It just means he's going to to try the best he can to get some characters In battle.so it means he might do the best he can on making ridley playable oviously.

It just means he's going to try hard for making some characters playable.

And one more thing I think he knows not many people wanted Waluigi playabel.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Honestly, I think Sakurai's quote today is being read into too much and it's just mostly stating something that we already knew to a degree. Given taht nearly every possible character in existance has people wanting their addition that there are going to be disapointments along the way. The closer we get to Smash 4 release the more people will be facing disappointment.

As Ridley fate is still unknown all we can do is wait.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think Sakurai's quote today is being read into too much and it's just mostly stating something that we already knew to a degree. Given taht nearly every possible character in existance has people wanting their addition that there are going to be disapointments along the way. The closer we get to Smash 4 release the more people will be facing disappointment.

As Ridley fate is still unknown all we can do is wait.
Agreed some wanted characters will be deconfirmed

But ridley is not deconfirmed nor any of the other highly requested characters

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's more that this statement doesn't deconfirm anyone other then Waluigi today. People who are using it to deconfirm other highly requested characters doesn't make sense in the current context.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Regardless of what Sakurai actually meant, the next few months are going to be torture because now everyone is going to use that statement against any character they don't want in the game even if said character has a reasonable chance. This will be especially severe for Ridley.

Screw you Miiverse. :evil:

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Regardless of what Sakurai actually meant, the next few months are going to be torture because now everyone is going to use that statement against any character they don't want in the game even if said character has a reasonable chance. This will be especially severe for Ridley.

Screw you Miiverse. :evil:
That's why I'm just going to ignore those using that quote for the arguement because it means nothing

As a matter of fact it accrued to me

http://www.smashbros.com/wii/en_us/items/assist/assist14.html

The quote today looks alarming simular to the one on that dojo about Waluigi

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, if Ridley gets confirmed, one of the first things that I'm going to do is try to compile all the reaction posts from Ridley haters online. Especially from GameFAQs, Miiverse, Youtube (hello Shokio), Metroid Database (sigh...), etc.

It's going to be a lot of work, sure, but I bet it will be worth it.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So, if Ridley gets confirmed, one of the first things that I'm going to do is try to compile all the reaction posts from Ridley haters online. Especially from GameFAQs, Miiverse, Youtube (hello Shokio), Metroid Database (sigh...), etc.

But, such a list would be too big! :troll:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I think we won't see every newcomer prior to the game's release. The only characters we'll be seeing until then would be all veterans and starter newcomers. Any unlockable newcomer would be revealed after the game's release to avoid spoiling the surprise.

With that in mind, I'm not exactly sure whether or not Ridley should be shown before or after the game's release. I mean, it'd make sense that he's unlockable, and it'd be neat to have him challenge you by surprise, kinda like Mewtwo in Melee.

Sadly, we don't have the luxury of simply waiting for that to happen and don't worry about a thing, because until then, we still have to deal with TooBigots annoying the living hell out of us until we rip our eyebrows off out of frustration.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
So, real talk, has anyone ever put the "too big" argument in our favor? Think about it for a second- because players might have a hard time seeing characters, for the 3DS version, they added outlines. The outlines help the player to see better on smaller screens. I'd say if the character is big, that alone would help the player see them and the outline would only help. Ridley being large could be a good thing after all...
What the hell did you just say?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good afternoon my fellow Space Pirates, sorry for being away so long, you can blame Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for that one, the game's so damn good...if only Capcom would put their time into other franchises like it *Cough* DARKSTALKERS *Cough*. Anyways, Waluigi announced today sparks many a butthurt, and somehow Ridley gets dragged into it...I don't even know anymore.

But I did make this on Miiverse:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think we won't see every newcomer prior to the game's release. The only characters we'll be seeing until then would be all veterans and starter newcomers. Any unlockable newcomer would be revealed after the game's release to avoid spoiling the surprise.

With that in mind, I'm not exactly sure whether or not Ridley should be shown before or after the game's release. I mean, it'd make sense that he's unlockable, and it'd be neat to have him challenge you by surprise, kinda like Mewtwo in Melee.

Sadly, we don't have the luxury of simply waiting for that to happen and don't worry about a thing, because until then, we still have to deal with TooBigots annoying the living hell out of us until we rip our eyebrows off out of frustration.
Eh not sure I entirely agree, as there is no evidence to suggest that every character that has been listed on the website so far are strictly starters especially when there are character that were traditionally unlocked have been shown completely forward. Given Sakurai earlier statement about spoilers, he may be less likely to go out of his way to hide such things. Either way there isn't enough evidence to support either side of that idea.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
There's other similarity: Both are lanky.......... well at least classic Ridley is.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WALUIGI WAS MY SECOND MOST WANTED CHARACTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
....... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

btw .... I think a stage from MZM and MF will be cool
For the MZM one you could play on Samus' ship while some Zebesians' ships in the background are shooting at you :colorful:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WALUIGI WAS MY SECOND MOST WANTED CHARACTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
....... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

btw .... I think a stage from MZM and MF will be cool
For the MZM one you could play on Samus' ship while some Zebesians' ships in the background are shooting at you :colorful:
Don't worry, you can still get the other purple monster.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
No doubt some people will go to that level of denial, as crazy as it sounds. Lately, Sakurai's been immediately deconfirming characters as soon as pictures of them are posted; Ridley's one of the very few (or only) that has been hinted at, but never shown at all. I'm looking forward to a day where the Smash site updates and Ridley's mug is on the front page with the big old CHALLENGER APPROACHING logo.
Also, I'll be keeping my bed, thank you very much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speaking of Ridley-related drawings, I did draw the following over a month ago...

Ridley is probably one of the toughest characters that I've tried to draw, especially when it's the Other M variation.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Got you covered this should be posted here again when Ridley is confirmed playable

Reactions of Ridley haters seeing ridley is confirmed playable

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

I actually wouldnt be suprised if the only super hype char announced is Mewtwo and hes not even a newcomer and just throw in FE Char and Palutena also Pacman or Snake and call it a day....

Its so easy for Sakurai to do this.

I get ya

I dont think he will reveal everyone before hand either been thinking that for a while.

Top Bottom