• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I think the best Ridley's trailer could be like Meta-Ridley's cutscene in SSBB .
Something "far-away" from Ridley happens and then he appears like he made in that cutscene
RIDLEY MAKES HIS BIG DEBUT

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think we won't see every newcomer prior to the game's release. The only characters we'll be seeing until then would be all veterans and starter newcomers. Any unlockable newcomer would be revealed after the game's release to avoid spoiling the surprise.

With that in mind, I'm not exactly sure whether or not Ridley should be shown before or after the game's release. I mean, it'd make sense that he's unlockable, and it'd be neat to have him challenge you by surprise, kinda like Mewtwo in Melee.

Sadly, we don't have the luxury of simply waiting for that to happen and don't worry about a thing, because until then, we still have to deal with TooBigots annoying the living hell out of us until we rip our eyebrows off out of frustration.
Very likely tpfor this to happen but remember sakurai hates spoilers. And not to mention luigi toon link marth and lucario were all unlockable characters revealed early (luigi and toon link are likely to still be unlockable).

So if he is revealing all characters before the release ridley and mewtwo could be revealed at E3

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Aw, Waluigi...

"Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle." Pretty sure this is just a reference to Waluigi's "try really hard to **** everyone else over" personality. I'm sure GameFAQs and Miiverse are having a heyday, though. It'll make it all the more delicious when Ridley's announced.

The sadistic pleasure I'm going to take in telling GameFAQs to go suck a big purple **** is going to be overwhelming.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, just like any time a character is disconfirmed, the Ridley thread now has to deal with TooBigots and general morons declaring "Oh, man! I'm gonna laugh so hard when RIDLEY is disconfirmed too! Bwa ha ha!" Targeting that at him and at no one else, as usual.

Oh, but pro-Ridley and anti-Ridley users are EXACTLY THE SAME. BOTH SIDES ARE EQUALLY BAD. LA LA LA...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well, just like any time a character is disconfirmed, the Ridley thread now has to deal with TooBigots and general morons declaring "Oh, man! I'm gonna laugh so hard when RIDLEY is disconfirmed too! Bwa ha ha!" Targeting that at him and at no one else, as usual.

Oh, but pro-Ridley and anti-Ridley users are EXACTLY THE SAME. BOTH SIDES ARE EQUALLY BAD. LA LA LA...
Your pic is sick

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh, that Shokio video again? Nothing particularly new here. Still the same peremptory attitude as always...
No other characters to compare Olimar's size with in Pikmin, yet a ****ing R.O.B. was found in Pikmin 2. This guy needs to play more games than just the famous ones.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
It would be far more prudently advisable to entirely disregard Shokio through a lack of acknowledgement, rather than continuously bring up the horrendous subject matter of his logical fallacies.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It would be far more prudently advisable to entirely disregard Shokio through a lack of acknowledgement, rather than continuously bring up the horrendous subject matter.
Is it a new vid?
"i watch all anti Ridley vids i can find purely for entertainment and reflection purposes (not trolling)
"dunno how i can say that and then say not trolling but its true.

Shokios and Nitend0Ultra are my faves.

ReaTalk
Not joking

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman

Get a load of this too bigot!
I remember coming across this fellow on YouTube just poking around to see what material Smash Bros fans put on the site. I wasn't a big fan because of how mean-spirited he seems to be. Making a video just to degrade others' opinions only makes me respect him less.

I feel like, in the grand scheme of things, getting in a debate over hardware limitations, canon sizes, anatomy, importance, behavioral issues, and all that jazz is a little odd. I'm pretty sure it comes down to whether or not Sakurai sees it working, so why do they keep going?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Every argument about Ridley has been argued forward, backward, and upside-down a million times over. There's no point anymore.

We'll see if Sakurai has a good enough head on his shoulders to put Ridley in Smash soon enough. There's nothing we can really do at this point: just like with so many other characters, we simply have to play the waiting game. My advice is this, at this point: ignore the TooBigots, haters, and trolls. No matter how much they ***** and moan and go on, Ridley's either in or he isn't. The roster is finalized. If they haven't been swayed at this point, they won't be. Just try to remember that there a lot more of us than there are of them, they're just a lot louder about it.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I remember coming across this fellow on YouTube just poking around to see what material Smash Bros fans put on the site. I wasn't a big fan because of how mean-spirited he seems to be. Making a video just to degrade others' opinions only makes me respect him less.

I feel like, in the grand scheme of things, getting in a debate over hardware limitations, canon sizes, anatomy, importance, behavioral issues, and all that jazz is a little odd. I'm pretty sure it comes down to whether or not Sakurai sees it working, so why do they keep going?
Simple...because they're stupid. :p

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Peoples opnions makes other people angry?
Thats pretty much what its comes to...and people think they know what sakurai wants and does..

Its just based on opnions and hatred just replace ''Ridley'' with ''Favirote football team'' etc its the same.....me personally i find it entertaining it doesnt bother me.

@ UltimateWario UltimateWario what he said basicly to be honest.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It would be far more prudently advisable to entirely disregard Shokio through a lack of acknowledgement, rather than continuously bring up the horrendous subject matter of his logical fallacies.
I agree with this. While everything about Shokio's TooBigotry is abominable, and I fully intend to keep bringing up the idea of a dubstep remix being made out of his video until it actually gets made, I don't believe he needs to be made the 'face' of TooBigotry. Granted, it's an easy thing to do, but that's exactly what people like him want out of their videos; an incessant stream of attention. His should have been cut off yesterday, if not earlier.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I agree with this. While everything about Shokio's TooBigotry is abominable, and I fully intend to keep bringing up the idea of a dubstep remix being made out of his video until it actually gets made, I don't believe he needs to be made the 'face' of TooBigotry. Granted, it's an easy thing to do, but that's exactly what people like him want out of their videos; an incessant stream of attention. His should have been cut off yesterday, if not earlier.
Aaaaaawwwww...but I like making a laughing stock out of him. :c

That aside, I think he's too arrogant to overly care. I mean my God, his opening comment on his video is that he already covered all the points in my Ending the Feud video...when he didn't do that in the slightest. Yes, I'm not kidding, he made a reply video WITHOUT WATCHING THE VIDEO HE WAS REPLYING TO, which overly made all his points in said video null. I mean my God, there's stupid, there's ignorant, there's stupidly ignorant, and THEN there's Shokio. :p

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Shokio is a?

pokemans_460.gif

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Its just based on opnions and hatred just replace ''Ridley'' with ''Favirote football team'' etc its the same.....me personally i find it entertaining it doesnt bother me.
Oh, believe me, it hardly bothers me. I love Super Smash Bros. and speculating the content thereof, but I don't understand how someone could treat another person like dirt over a video game character. I mean, I can understand not liking a character, but the way these "too bigots" go about it is as if they've set aside their life just to crush the wishes of fellow gamers.

I'm pretty sure, if they look deep down in themselves, they would have no qualms with playing as a really cool looking dragon.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Oh, believe me, it hardly bothers me. I love Super Smash Bros. and speculating the content thereof, but I don't understand how someone could treat another person like dirt over a video game character. I mean, I can understand not liking a character, but the way these "too bigots" go about it is as if they've set aside their life just to crush the wishes of fellow gamers.

I'm pretty sure, if they look deep down in themselves, they would have no qualms with playing as a really cool looking dragon.
Much worse happens were i live....

Some people actually like arguing too xD
All i can say is the day Ridley gets revealed as a playable char...my....its gonna be crazy i will celebrate somehow not sure though...hmmm...

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I mean my God, there's stupid, there's ignorant, there's stupidly ignorant, and THEN there's Shokio. :p
Actually, it's pretty much all Ridley-haters (I hate using the word "haters", because of the nearly memetic connotation it's been given, but I don't know what else to use here) that are that way. Making stupid points like how him being unable to fly indefinitely in Smash would ruin him, and how that his proportions and tail are impossible despite being much easier to get working than characters like Rosalina, or what have you. Essentially, visit any anti-Ridley thread on GameFAQs (not difficult, they pop up about once every day or two) to learn about our "opposition's" ignorance.

I hesitate to call them opposition because that implies that they're some sort of force or obstacle, when really, they're just stupid and annoying. Essentially, you're best off just remembering that these people have devoted their internet lives to hating a character that they don't and refuse to understand or care about and to making his fans as miserable as possible. It is essentially a meme to hate Ridley at this point, and people will milk it to the point of chafing just like every other idiotic meme.

As I said, there's no reason to keep fighting anymore. I'd put money on Ridley's inclusion at this point, because, although we like to make fun, Sakurai isn't an idiot. Ridley is a sensible, smart inclusion, and once he's revealed, the ******** will continue for about a week and then cease.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
So perhaps most of us here alreadyunderstand the gist of what I'm about to post, but I'mma post it here anyway as I intend to eventually post it elsewhere.

I'm calling this the "Sakurai's Cat" theory. ...Or phenomenon? Whatevs.

...And noo, not based on Sakurai's actual pet cat. It's a play on "Schrodinger's Cat".

Basically, A character at any point could have two or more roles in Smash until Sakurai confirms otherwise.

This can't apply to just any character. It needs to be a character that currently floats in the middle of unconfirmed and confirmed as a result of actual existing evidence. Naturally, Ridley falls into the category of being a "Sakurai's Cat". But why exactly?

Well the obvious thing comes to mind; Sakurai said "Samus's Trauma may appear...", or as it was translated, "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second...". The statements have been construed as either implying that Ridley would be a stage hazard or that it's just a reference to Other M.

And then there's the stage itself. I construed back when the Pyrosphere was first revealed that its layout was indicative of an arena fitting for a stage hazard to appear and attack the players. Since then I've rescinded my belief that Ridley was a guaranteed stage hazard. However my view on the Pyrosphere itself hasn't changed as much and thus continues to lead me skeptical about Ridley's true role.

...And that's what leads me to this wacky label of a theory that is "Sakurai's Cat"! As of currently, Ridley is PLAYABLE AND A STAGE HAZARD!

... No no, not based on Ridley's multiple incarnations. I mean based on my proposed Sakurai's Cat theory: Until official declaration by Sakurai himself, it should be acceptable that there will be only one Ridley in Smash, and he is CONFIRMED as PLAYABLE and as STAGE HAZARD simultaneously! But why exactly? I surmise the following:

- Sakurai once claimed "If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it". This may possibly still apply even to this day, which means...
- Sakurai and Co. actually are putting their best effort in to it! However Sakurai is all too familiar with failing to get a character in, thus...
- The Pyrosphere's layout is designed as such to allow for a stage hazard... primarily Ridley!
- Should Sakurai and Co. fail at their effort to make Ridley a Newcomer, they only need to take the assets and mold them into a Stage Hazard. Should they succeed, the Pyrosphere still looks good enough to be a neutral stage.

It's why I think it's taking so long for Sakurai to just get it over with and announce Ridley as a hazard: There's a chance Sakurai SUCCEEDED. Otherwise it would be so easy to just call the attempt unsuccessful, reallocate resources, and show off a stage hazard Ridley. They could continue working on him afterward too, so no need for him to be near 100% if just a hazard.

So until Sakurai opens up the proverbial box and reveals the state of the cat inside, technically this means everyone is correct AND incorrect on the matter. Unless you think Ridley is an Assist Trophy. If you do, LOL get out of this thread.

BTW, this also applies to Palutena thanks to that leak that hasn't been disproven. Palutena is effectively unconfirmed AND confirmed right now.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So perhaps most of us here alreadyunderstand the gist of what I'm about to post, but I'mma post it here anyway as I intend to eventually post it elsewhere.

I'm calling this the "Sakurai's Cat" theory. ...Or phenomenon? Whatevs.

...And noo, not based on Sakurai's actual pet cat. It's a play on "Schrodinger's Cat".

Basically, A character at any point could have two or more roles in Smash until Sakurai confirms otherwise.

This can't apply to just any character. It needs to be a character that currently floats in the middle of unconfirmed and confirmed as a result of actual existing evidence. Naturally, Ridley falls into the category of being a "Sakurai's Cat". But why exactly?

Well the obvious thing comes to mind; Sakurai said "Samus's Trauma may appear...", or as it was translated, "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second...". The statements have been construed as either implying that Ridley would be a stage hazard or that it's just a reference to Other M.

And then there's the stage itself. I construed back when the Pyrosphere was first revealed that its layout was indicative of an arena fitting for a stage hazard to appear and attack the players. Since then I've rescinded my belief that Ridley was a guaranteed stage hazard. However my view on the Pyrosphere itself hasn't changed as much and thus continues to lead me skeptical about Ridley's true role.

...And that's what leads me to this wacky label of a theory that is "Sakurai's Cat"! As of currently, Ridley is PLAYABLE AND A STAGE HAZARD!

... No no, not based on Ridley's multiple incarnations. I mean based on my proposed Sakurai's Cat theory: Until official declaration by Sakurai himself, it should be acceptable that there will be only one Ridley in Smash, and he is CONFIRMED as PLAYABLE and as STAGE HAZARD simultaneously! But why exactly? I surmise the following:

- Sakurai once claimed If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it". This may possibly still apply even to this day, which means...
- Sakurai and Co. actually are putting their best effort in to it! However Sakurai is all too familiar with failing to get a character in, thus...
- The Pyrosphere's layout is designed as such to allow for a stage hazard... primarily Ridley!
- Should Sakurai and Co. fail at their effort to make Ridley a Newcomer, they only need to take the assets and mold them into a Stage Hazard. Should they succeed, the Pyrosphere still looks good enough to be a neutral stage.

It's why I think it's taking so long for Sakurai to just get it over with and announce Ridley as a hazard: There's a chance Sakurai SUCCEEDED. Otherwise it would be so easy to just call the attempt unsuccessful, reallocate resources, and show off a stage hazard Ridley. They could continue working on him afterward too, so no need for him to be near 100% if just a hazard.

So until Sakurai opens up the proverbial box and reveals the state of the cat inside, technically this means everyone is correct or incorrect on the matter. Unless you think Ridley is an Assist Trophy. If you do, LOL get out of this thread.

BTW, this also applies to Palutena thanks to that leak that hasn't been disproven. Palutena is effectively unconfirmed AND confirmed right now.
Ah, yes, I had this same line of thought as well. I think it's possible that the Pyrosphere comment is intentionally vague for the purpose of being a safety net of sorts. Ridley could be planned as a character, but in the event that something goes sour with his development, they flip around and make him a hazard. The comment, as established many times, can be read to suggest either role as a possibility. By keeping it open ended like this and not promising any guarantees, it allows Sakurai a chance to get away with either scenario depending on how development plays out.

If that's true, then the big question is of course whether or not they WERE successful making Ridley playable. That's something we can't really know until the day Ridley is unveiled in whatever role he'll have in this game. But personally, I believe that Sakurai can make it work.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
The whole Shrodinger's cat concept has always seemed like a really long way of saying we don't know.

But I believe I've mentioned the possibility of Ridley being a stage hazard and playable, although not in that sense. More along the lines of Ridley is a stage hazard when you aren't playing as him on Pyrosphere and when you are he is no where to be found. Similar to the whole Smash Circuit/Punch Out!! stage. Sakurai has shown that stages can have more than one appearance, so it isn't all that crazy of an idea. (They did this in that recent DC fighter, Injustice: Gods Among Us, where Doomsday is playable and a stage hazard depending on whether or not he's in the match.)

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
The Cat Theory:
<<After Brawl's release, Sakurai printed a huge paper panel with a big quantity of character portraits, then he put some cat food in each one of the portraits.
After that he lets his cat to feed itself with the food on the square portraits, if the cat eats all the food on one square the characters is chosen to appear in the next Super Smash Bros. installment.
The nature of this kind of selection is random, and the number of selected characters is unknow>>
Conclusion: GODDAMMIT, CATS!!

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Pretty much, and really the only time he should ever be brought up again is if ridley gets confirmed and we can see his reaction and all the reply videos hes flooded with haha.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The whole Shrodinger's cat concept has always seemed like a really long way of saying we don't know.

But I believe I've mentioned the possibility of Ridley being a stage hazard and playable, although not in that sense. More along the lines of Ridley is a stage hazard when you aren't playing as him on Pyrosphere and when you are he is no where to be found. Similar to the whole Smash Circuit/Punch Out!! stage. Sakurai has shown that stages can have more than one appearance, so it isn't all that crazy of an idea. (They did this in that recent DC fighter, Injustice: Gods Among Us, where Doomsday is playable and a stage hazard depending on whether or not he's in the match.)
There could also be a different spin on this playable and stage hazard scenario. Many including myself have already stated that there could be another version of Ridley. But it doesn't actually have to be. Instead the likes of Phantoon and/or Nightmare, both of which were in Other M and can fly/float could fill in for him when he's on the forefront.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Nightmare with lava though? I don't know...

I'm definitely not expecting anything else to be a stage hazard if Ridley ends up playable. Even lava seems improbable due to the platform layouts seen as of now. If lava was to rise up, then the entire bottom portion, which is pretty damn wide, mind you, would be submerged, leaving only two tiny, moving platforms for potentially 4 players to stand on (correct me if I'm wrong here).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I still think a squad of Zebesians firing lasers or a Rhedogian emerging from the lagma and firing Seeker Missiles would be pretty fitting Hazards.

My number 1 feeling is no hazard at all until proven otherwise. And I'd be very okay with that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ya know...

I'd actually like to debate Shokio...

No names. We'd keep it polite and everything.

I just think he's not looking at the big picture.

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
Lol.

Was being serious though....
I don't know how we didn't think of this before, we use reverse psychology and tell Shokio that Ridley is too big. This will trick him into thinking that Ridley would be a viable character choice.

Top Bottom