• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yeah, my Ridley support won't disappear for SSB5 if he doesn't appear in this game, but I won't be expecting him.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I agree, but, fortunately or unfortunately depending on your opinions, I think this may very well be the last Smash with Sakurai at the helm. Now, him stepping down wouldn't guarantee a replacement that would be favorable toward Ridley, but if Sakurai actually does turn out to be a TooBigot, then it'd be better than nothing. That being said, I imagine that, with a new guy taking the helm, he might come to rely more on character popularity as a crutch out of not wanting to mess anything up or take any big risks.

If Sakurai ****s up this time and excludes Ridley, I sure won't stop supporting him (or K. Rool). The bandwagoners probably will, but I feel as though I'm so far from that at this point, I won't stop supporting them, no matter how many Smash games there are.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
To add more hopeful speculation, we should look to the Villager. Why? Because in the past Sakurai stated that an Animal Crossing character wouldn't work in Smash Bros., yet things have obviously changed.

While he hasn't said anything directly in terms of not planning on Ridley (at least not to my knowledge), Sakurai clearly had three opportunities to put him in but didn't. Meanwhile, SSB4 has been making more diverse selections in terms of characters, including some that, as said before, were thought to never be able to make it in the series.

And with all the subtle hints Sakurai has been throwing at us through the past several months, it might just mean that Ridley will finally get his chance.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
It's unbelievable how many people underestimate how important/popular Ridley is. Judging by a lot of the idiotic posts on GameFAQs, if you didn't know what Metroid was at all, you'd just assume that Ridley was some random boss that everyone's fawning over for some reason. It's insane.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So I've been on Neoseeker showing them pictures of Angelglory's size comparisons...

Here are some of the replies I got...

BlueLore|message:36397104 said:
Great job,overall I think ridleys chances aren't that bad.

Why?Especially because of sakurais comment about the pyrosphere,he said that samus could encounter an old foe(obviously ridley) any time,but we didn't see anything up to this point.
So there are 2 options:
1.Ridley is a character,thus samus could encounter him on this stage(and all other stages)
2.he is a stage-hazard/background event

Even in the second case his chances are still good,because as toonlink proved,there is no problem with being both appearing on a stage and being a character
And if ridley was only part of a stage,there'd be no reason to hide him this long.
PwnageMaster67|messageid:36397535 said:
This could be a big problem for Olimar...

As well as Shokio who says Ridley is as big as S***!
Random hero jr|messageid:36397638 said:
Well, he's not wrong. He at least explains his side of it, while some with the opposite opinion just say "well they did it with this character", which makes no sense imo. As he said himself, it doesn't work with every character.

I dunno, in my opinion I see Ridley as a possible character, but only a very, VERY small chance of that actually happening. It's a very touchy subject I've noticed, and a lot of people get extremely defensive about it. I'd rather not see Ridley being playable purely because that spot can go to a character more suited to the game.

But, on the tiny chance that he will be playable, I'm willing to go along with it as long as it makes sense within the Smash universe. Like a logical explanation of why he's smaller, rather than "just" shrinking him and leaving it at that.
RegalBryant|messageid:36398052 said:
First of all: Ridley has much more than a tiny chance of being playable. He's one of the most requested characters left, after Mewtwo and possibly King K. Rool, and he's far and away the second most important Metroid character, which deserves a second rep.

Second, why would Ridley need a logical explanation for his size? Olimar didn't, Bowser didn't, Ganondorf didn't, none of the Pokemon did. What makes Ridley different?
DedValve|messageid:36398183 said:
I never understood the ridley size comparisons. Everyone in Super Smash bros. is relatively the same size despite there being huge differences among them in their respective games, ridley would be no different.

If anything his long neck and large wings might pose a problem. Wings moreso than neck.

EDIT: Did you make these models or did you find them? Either way they look good (except for other m ridley god that thing looks atrocious. I'd rather no ridley than other m ridley). Super ridley looks amazing.
Lots of different opinions...

Now, I don't want people to go over there and debate them.

If I catch you guys doing that, I will have very stern dialogue with you.

Instead, I wanted to spark discussion with these statements.

So... what do you think? You agree with them?

Please don't turn this into a Shokio discussion. Keep this about Ridley.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
....neoseeker seems a lot friendlier towards Playable Ridley than I remember.

although it could be that I'm remembering a different site....

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So I've been on Neoseeker showing them pictures of Angelglory's size comparisons...

Here are some of the replies I got...

Lots of different opinions...

Now, I don't want people to go over there and debate them.

If I catch you guys doing that, I will have very stern dialogue with you.

Instead, I wanted to spark discussion with these statements.

So... what do you think? You agree with them?

Please don't turn this into a Shokio discussion. Keep this about Ridley.
Well, regarding the "Random Hero Jr" post, he says the following: "some with the opposite opinion just say "well they did it with this character", which makes no sense imo. As he said himself, it doesn't work with every character." I can understand what he, and many others are saying here. What works with one character might not work with another. However, my response to that would be "where's your proof?" When was it said that Ridley can't be resized? How do we know the exact guidelines the developers follow when it comes to altering characters from their original appearances? Frankly, we don't, so we can't say a character is impossible based on rules we made up ourselves.

Fortunately, none of these posts say that Ridley is impossible. Even the one that's against Ridley says that it's a possibility that they'd be willing to accept if it does become a reality. I don't agree with his reasoning, but he's not proclaiming it as some sort of self evident truth that only idiots would fail to grasp. This is the kind of open minded thinking that's been severely lacking in most Ridley discussions, and I find it to be remarkably refreshing.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think it's like most things really, your going to have the loud obixious people who won't shift for any reason on one side and usually a ton of other people who may not think he's going to get in but would not be upset if he did. Like most things we generalize based on the loudest opinions we generally witness mostly because they tend to be much more obivous about it.

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
I really think either Ridley or K. Rool will enter the scene.

Why? Both characters are important, reoccurring villain characters from their respective series with large fanbase support. Their numerous confrontations in games gives them a good array of possible movesets based on their attacks. Should one of them join the fighting, I really think it would finally deliver the 'wow' factor that the current reveals have, in my opinion, been lacking.

I'd be extremely surprised if neither appeared in the roster. Nintendo would be unwise to ignore BOTH of the fanbases' demands. It seems as though the edge is in Ridley's favor due to the stage reveal. If he was only a hazard, he would've been revealed already. Sakurai would be a huge ass if he decided to spring that news in the upcoming weeks. That would certainly confirm the harsh feelings he seemed to convey in his Waluigi de-confirmation post.

And I just want to point out about the size issue I see coming up every day. Anyone remember the Melee intro video when you play the game? Samus is fighting Ridley in a short clip, and he looks barely taller than her, and still retains his looks and physique.

So yeah, he can be scaled down for the game.

Best of luck to both camps. I honestly would be incredibly pissed if neither of them got a spot.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Hmm. Those comments aren't too far off from what I've speculated about the Smash community's feelings towards Ridley. I remember from one forum that one person who was indifferent towards his inclusion said that he had a hard time imagining him on the battlefield because of his unusual body-plan and wings. He actually thought the "too big" argument was just a stupid meme that isn't supposed to be taken seriously.

Generally speaking, when I take part in Ridley discussions the most common issue I see from most people that's legitimate are the hitboxes and hurtboxes, and whether his wings could be considered part of them or not.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Rundas was one of the other Bounty Hunters in Prime 3 (alongside cybernetic Ghor and shapeshifting Gandrayda). He has ice-based powers.

You fight him and the aforementioned Hunters in Prime 3. He is no more, and no less significant than the others Hunters, and is certainly not a serious contender for Ridley in terms of series antagonists.
Yh but was cool when he saved samus in the elevater shaft probly were he gets his limelight frok but yh ...

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Been thinking about possible moves for Ridley

Here's some ideas for some command-grabs.

1. Is basically Ridley grabbing and lifting his opponent into the air, and then blasting them with a huge fireball, creating an explosion before he simply drops them down.

2. Ridley does a short lunge forward to grab the opponent in front of him. If he connects, he does a small aerial loop before slamming the opponent into the ground, for him to then stomp down on them and grind them a short distance before he jumps off.

Here's a couple of ideas for B-moves and normal grabs:

.A - normal B-move where Ridley breathes a stream of plasma at a diagonal angle. was thinking it could extend until it hits ground/a certain distance if he's on a platform/in the air.

.B - A spinning flying-dash. Not sure what direction it should go. Maybe it could be his Up-B, similar to Wario.

.C - Basically grabs and throws: Down- he simply slams the opponent into the ground. Back- throws opp. ovver his shoulder backwards, then strikes them with his tail. Forward- tosses opp. forward, then hits them with a fireball. Up- He just throws the opp. upwards.
Pressing A when holding opponent: simple stabs with his wings.

The moves in the lower left corner is an idea for a simple A attack where Ridley first strikes with his left, then with his right, before he crosses his arms in a downwards slash that makes an X-shaped effect appear in front of him. Not pictured is his dash attack, which I imagine would just be Ridley lunging forward to snap at his opponent with his jaws.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think Ridley should have attacks that forces the opponent into the air.

I want Ridley to really be lethal in the air, so having attacks that do that would be beneficial.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Some kind of launching move, where you could follow up with aerials. Mmmh, can't think of anything myself but you guys probably can.

I also have an idea for Ridley's forward-smash: he basically leans backwards as he charges up, for then to swiftly duck forward as he strikes with both his wings and tail for a simultaneous triple stab. His downward-smash could have him sweep his tail in a low circular motion around him.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Been thinking about possible moves for Ridley

Here's some ideas for some command-grabs.

1. Is basically Ridley grabbing and lifting his opponent into the air, and then blasting them with a huge fireball, creating an explosion before he simply drops them down.

2. Ridley does a short lunge forward to grab the opponent in front of him. If he connects, he does a small aerial loop before slamming the opponent into the ground, for him to then stomp down on them and grind them a short distance before he jumps off.

Here's a couple of ideas for B-moves and normal grabs:

.A - normal B-move where Ridley breathes a stream of plasma at a diagonal angle. was thinking it could extend until it hits ground/a certain distance if he's on a platform/in the air.

.B - A spinning flying-dash. Not sure what direction it should go. Maybe it could be his Up-B, similar to Wario.

.C - Basically grabs and throws: Down- he simply slams the opponent into the ground. Back- throws opp. ovver his shoulder backwards, then strikes them with his tail. Forward- tosses opp. forward, then hits them with a fireball. Up- He just throws the opp. upwards.
Pressing A when holding opponent: simple stabs with his wings.

The moves in the lower left corner is an idea for a simple A attack where Ridley first strikes with his left, then with his right, before he crosses his arms in a downwards slash that makes an X-shaped effect appear in front of him. Not pictured is his dash attack, which I imagine would just be Ridley lunging forward to snap at his opponent with his jaws.
Those pictures are beautiful RealTalk very well done getting me way to hype though picturing it

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm only here because I saw some strange femdom hentai that reminded me of Ismar.
this made me laugh.

....although there is a posibility for this statememt to be true...it's not related to the case. I recommend this gets strucken from the testimony, your honor.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I feel Ridley could have a rapid fire Plasma Breath attack, which have him work like a bombardier, blasting those that are on the surface with several fiery projectiles.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I reckon it would be easy/simple for him to have a certain tail attack or two that would act as a means of launching someone in the air to follow up with aerials... Just sayin'.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Jab should send opponents in the air, where Ridley can give them an appropriate amount of love.
This. Charizard in Project M's jab is a Wing Attack that sends his opponent into the air, allowing him to tear them apart at his leisure. Having something like that for Ridley that allows him to pull opponents out of his weaker element and throw them into his hunting zone would open up the character a lot. That said, I've seen an interesting idea on GameFAQs (!) where Ridley sacrifices his ground Smashes for aerial ones. Ridley can only do tilts on the ground, but in the air, can use chargeable, devastating Smash attacks. That would make him really unique and a VICIOUS edge-guarder.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Sorry for not doing the moveset and taunts sketches, since Crocovile already did it...and Im having a bit of a headache....

SCAN0108.JPG

at least i did this as his losing after the battle pose....and it is how i feel right now....

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
This much teasing for RIdley is getting kind of Obnoxious, I find.
Wish his role would be confirmed already....

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
This. Charizard in Project M's jab is a Wing Attack that sends his opponent into the air, allowing him to tear them apart at his leisure. Having something like that for Ridley that allows him to pull opponents out of his weaker element and throw them into his hunting zone would open up the character a lot. That said, I've seen an interesting on GameFAQs (!) where Ridley sacrifices his ground Smashes for aerial ones. Ridley can only do tilts on the ground, but in the air, can use chargeable, devastating Smash attacks. That would make him really unique and a VICIOUS edge-guarder.
Unfortunately, Charizard doesn't have the aerial speed to follow the enemy at higher percents and his moves don't always string together, besides nair. The exact same jab could work wonders with Ridley, where, ideally, it could lead to perfect death combos. That's part of the reason why I wouldn't mind seeing Ridley in PM as a Zard clone.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Hope you'll feel better soon AndreaC, and Dr. Mario's prescription says lots of rest.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I definitely agree with the suggested strategy of him getting opponents into the air in order to go full predator mode and wreck havoc.

However, with a character of Ridley's size (let's face it, even scaled down he's gonna be big), I can see him having problems on the ground. To put it simply, Ridley is like a jet fighter in the air, but a lumbering tank otherwise.

In other words, basically the opposite of Little Mac's setup. In fact Ridley could end up being Little Mac's worst nightmare...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sorry for not doing the moveset and taunts sketches, since Crocovile already did it...and Im having a bit of a headache....

View attachment 9399

at least i did this as his losing after the battle pose....and it is how i feel right now....
Ridley: All of these Ridley size debates are really making me sick.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah, my Ridley support won't disappear for SSB5 if he doesn't appear in this game, but I won't be expecting him.
I wonder if Sakurai will be part of SSB5. Methinks, no. Which, could mean a lot for us.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sakurai will not have working hands after Smash4. He should retire to that Japanese island ruled by cats.
Well, if he's smart.
I will be there, in cat ears, and a coconut bra, serving cocktails to Sakurai-sensei.

....although there is a posibility for this statememt to be true
I promise it's true

Last edited:
Top Bottom