• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Imagine him like a large theropod then. :troll:

With longer arms, of course.
With how he moved in prime and other m, im more inclined to think he would move around more like a bat on a wall or on all fours for the most part.

Also i think yoshi should be in ridley's reveal trailer, purely for the fact that i could see him crapping an egg the moment ridley shows up haha.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
With how he moved in prime and other m, im more inclined to think he would move around more like a bat on a wall or on all fours for the most part.

Also i think yoshi should be in ridley's reveal trailer, purely for the fact that i could see him crapping an egg the moment ridley shows up haha.
It's gonna be quite a workout if/when Yoshi swallows Ridley. XD

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This is the guy who faked his own death on these boards a few months back. He created an alt account, posed as a friend of his main account, and said that he'd committed suicide. Please ignore all posts from this user in the future.

...and for a more on-topic note, I'm working on something big. Something Ridley-related. Chances are I'll never finish it, so I'm not going to reveal what it is in case it never happens.
Is it as BiG as Ridley?
Will be ready before 2024?

D

Deleted member

What costume would you guys like for Ridley? I know he has a bunch of forms.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
what if that's some cool kind of gimmick of ridley'

kirby, yoshi and dedede can't swallow him, because he's too big

also i'm really starting to LOVE other m's ridley design because of you guys.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
yoshi can't swallow him, because he's too big
um, have you seen yoshi's new game? it's about him swallowing things a billion times bigger than him.

I think kirby has something similar going on too.

....maybe it's all training for ridley being in smash?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Then why are you still here Mr. Miyamoto? get out and make Sakurai put Ridley in once and for all!
"Hi, Reggie here.

The reason Miyamoto-san can't do that is because Ridley is already in the game as a playable character. We intend on making the grand reveal at E3 2014.

Don't tell anyone that I told you this, or I could lose my job.

May your body ever be ready,

Reggie Fils-Aime"

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
"Hi, Reggie here.

The reason Miyamoto-san can't do that is because Ridley is already in the game as a playable character. We intend on making the grand reveal at E3 2014.

Don't tell anyone that I told you this, or I could lose my job.

May your body ever be ready,

Reggie Fils-Aime"
Thanks for telling me that Mr. Reggie, i'm crying of joy right now!
And don't worry, this is a secret to everybody!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Stuck on Super metroid there for the game sucks....(joke...but im pissed..) god where the hell do you and what you do?

LmAo to the people who say the 2D Metroid's are easier than the Prime games....last power up i got was...uh.....uh..that x ray vision thing....god i just cant get over how bad the WiiU Pro Controller is....it took me a hour to get to the wrecked ship tryna do that grapple beam part the pad is atrocious lord have mercy come Sm4sh plz support Wii Motes so i can use my GC Pad..

Pissing me off man...serious

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still feel really awkward when people say "If he isn't freakin' gigantic and the size of the entire screen I don't feel like it's the real Ridley D:".

I mean to me it seems like people who honestly believe that entirely miss the point of Ridley. I mean when I think Ridley, I think "Samus' motivation", "Space pirate general", "Viscious killer", "Visciously unkillable", "Mechanical expert", and even after the Prime Trilogy, "Phazon-infused mechanical monster". Like, Ridley being big was never a part of who or what he is or does to me anyway. It was just a thing that HAPPENED.

If he was as big as those shrunken models where he can still grab Samus with one hand and fling her around, that's still plenty intimidating. Ridley's a ruthless SOB no matter how big he is in any iteration.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Stuck on Super metroid there for the game sucks....(joke...but im pissed..) god where the hell do you and what you do?

LmAo to the people who say the 2D Metroid's are easier than the Prime games....last power up i got was...uh.....uh..that x ray vision thing....god i just cant get over how bad the WiiU Pro Controller is....it took me a hour to get to the wrecked ship tryna do that grapple beam part the pad is atrocious lord have mercy come Sm4sh plz support Wii Motes so i can use my GC Pad..

um, I found it quite simple.

everything you complained about must be caused by your own self-preference, I guess. I enjoyed it.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

Just keep playing man, it's so satisfactory when you find the exits or paths for yourself, and i must say that 2D or 3D, Metroid never was easy.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Just keep playing man, it's so satisfactory when you find the exits or paths for yourself, and i must say that 2D or 3D, Metroid never was easy.
It would be half decent if i had a half decent controller.

LmAo who the hell designs a pad that has both the sticks on top? Loooool...ow my..........

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I still feel really awkward when people say "If he isn't freakin' gigantic and the size of the entire screen I don't feel like it's the real Ridley D:".

I mean to me it seems like people who honestly believe that entirely miss the point of Ridley. I mean when I think Ridley, I think "Samus' motivation", "Space pirate general", "Viscious killer", "Visciously unkillable", "Mechanical expert", and even after the Prime Trilogy, "Phazon-infused mechanical monster". Like, Ridley being big was never a part of who or what he is or does to me anyway. It was just a thing that HAPPENED.

If he was as big as those shrunken models where he can still grab Samus with one hand and fling her around, that's still plenty intimidating. Ridley's a ruthless SOB no matter how big he is in any iteration.
I was actually somewhat shocked when I first joined pre-Brawl speculation and found the general argument against him was him being too big. Ridley has never EVER been about his size to me, I only ever began thinking about his size changes throughout the Metroid series because of anti-Ridleys. I think that goes to show how silly it is when even a young teen me can see it doesn't hold any ground.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I was actually somewhat shocked when I first joined pre-Brawl speculation and found the general argument against him was him being too big. Ridley has never EVER been about his size to me, I only ever began thinking about his size changes throughout the Metroid series because of anti-Ridleys. I think that goes to show how silly it is when even a young teen me can see it doesn't hold any ground.
I never saw Ridleys size as even a thing untill i came i joined SmashBoards

RealTalk

And im not even a forum guy thats crazy.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Pretty much this. Ridley isn't a character who's size is played up to a significant degree. He's a character with other important traits that happens to be large, and that's probably due to him being a boss. There's no denying that Ridley IS a large character, and that his size is technically part of what makes Ridley Ridley (in the same way that other characters have sizes that are technically part of what makes them themselves), but he's not defined by it. Therefore, it's ok to resize him as long as he's still big, but not too big to be a playable character.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Speaking of never thinking about size when thinking about Ridley before getting here, when I was very little, and before I even played SM or any other Metroid game back then, I used to think that the white thing on Ridley's leg in the Melee intro was a plaster cast. Somehow I was unable to see the Metroid inside the capsule. XD

Either way, that "cast" made me realize that Ridley was an old enemy of Samus, and that he persists on his goal to destroy her, regardless of how many times he loses. Even though it was a misinterpretation, I still managed to identify Ridley as a character, and his size had nothing to do with that. Weird, huh?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Let's be honest, the biggest component of Ridley's character is PROBABLY his absurd inability to stay dead. I mean he died, was rebuilt with mechanical enhancements, died again, was rebuilt with MORE mechanical enhancements, died, was revived with phazon, died, managed to patch himself up to resume activity on Zebes, died, and was (functionally) revived through cloning, died, and has his corpse reanimated by the X-parasite before dying again. Hell if we count the unused concept of "Dark Meta-Ridley" from Metroid Prime 2, that's one more revival and death for a total of 8 deaths and 7 revivals.

And then of course there's his creation, Mecha-Ridley. But that's a different subject. The moral of the story is killing Ridley is just not doable. Which is probably why people like him so much.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
“Certainly the Metroid franchise is one that, when you talk about really bringing the world to life, we feel that Metroid and the characters established are really important for Nintendo,” Miyamoto said at the time. “So important that they were included, obviously, in Nintendo Land.”
I can't believe this slipped past me for so many months. Having them directly say that Metroid is a significant part of Nintendo as a whole is some fairly nice evidence for getting a second Metroid character.

...I might just even extend this to argue for Takamaru...

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
To me, Ridley never was about size. Yeah, he was bigger than Samus but so what. His schtick is that he flies around, shooting fireballs and grabbing you, a character like that can't be too big because that would ruin the whole idea behind how he works as a boss. Plus as @ majora_787 majora_787 mentioned, he refuses to stay dead, I bet Ridley's hatred for Samus is even on a genetic level if his clone is any indication.

In fact, if there's one space pirate that's (excluding the first game) always been about how big he is, it's Kraid! Now there's a guy who's all about size, dude's a huge alien dinosaur that you have to climb up to a higher level to even have a chance to hurt.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
It gotta be a new Metroid, plus Kensuke Tanabe said that it will be released this year, so if they show Ridley in Smash 4, and the new Metroid game at the same time, will make for inconmensurable hype.

Last edited:

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
It gotta be a new Metroid, plus Kensuke Tanabe said that it will be released this year, so if they show Ridley in Smash 4, and the new Metroid game at the same time, will make for inconmensurable hype.
It could always be delayed, unfortunately, like DKCTF. Hopefully it's ready for an E3 reveal this year.
Also, is your avatar Masked Man, if so, where'd you find that drawing?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Let's be honest, the biggest component of Ridley's character is PROBABLY his absurd inability to stay dead. I mean he died, was rebuilt with mechanical enhancements, died again, was rebuilt with MORE mechanical enhancements, died, was revived with phazon, died, managed to patch himself up to resume activity on Zebes, died, and was (functionally) revived through cloning, died, and has his corpse reanimated by the X-parasite before dying again. Hell if we count the unused concept of "Dark Meta-Ridley" from Metroid Prime 2, that's one more revival and death for a total of 8 deaths and 7 revivals.

And then of course there's his creation, Mecha-Ridley. But that's a different subject. The moral of the story is killing Ridley is just not doable. Which is probably why people like him so much.
Someone needs to make a grim reaper ridley pic

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
It's going be another DK game isn't it ? -_-
Two Triple A DK games in one year is one game too many, and if they wanted to make more DK levels they can easily just create an expansion for TF. Not a chance of happening.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's Metroid or Star Fox. I wouldn't mind being wrong, so long as it's not Mario-DK-Kirby-LoZ related.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Would they be able to make a fox game? as much as I want a new metroid game with ridley and kraid.... Star fox is way over due.

Top Bottom