• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I can very easily see Ridley's running animation be similar to that of small* theropods, with his body being inclined forward, arms retracted, his tail stiffened and his head pointing forward.
*inb4 too big jokes.

http://ewilloughby.deviantart.com/art/Deinonychus-On-the-Beach-57030539

Only with his neck being more curved downwards. And with his wings retracted.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Ridley, eh? Well, I guess I'll have to explain why he could not be a character. Supporters read closely.

Ridley is to big!

Yes, you have heard this argument before. But it is true. Ridley is huge and shrinking him would be... Weird. Bowser was scaled down, yet he looks about that size in the Kart and Sport games. Olimar needed to be scaled up and it made him look believable. Sonic is supposed to be 3'something and he looks as tall as he is in smash in the Olympic series (perhaps taller!) Sakurai even said in an interview Ridley would be "nearly impossible" so BAM.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Ridley, eh? Well, I guess I'll have to explain why he could not be a character. Supporters read closely.

Ridley is to big!

Yes, you have heard this argument before. But it is true. Ridley is huge and shrinking him would be... Weird. Bowser was scaled down, yet he looks about that size in the Kart and Sport games. Olimar needed to be scaled up and it made him look believable. Sonic is supposed to be 3'something and he looks as tall as he is in smash in the Olympic series (perhaps taller!) Sakurai even said in an interview Ridley would be "nearly impossible" so BAM.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Ridley is to big!

Just like how Pikachu, an almost 1 feet tall yellow rat, reaches up to the chest of Mewtwo, a 6 feet tall mutant, in Melee, right?

Nice try, bud.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Ridley is to big!

Not sure if trolling...

ppbto

Smash Journeyman

Ridley is to big!

If you're trolling you need to try harder.

Groose

Smash Champion
Not sure if trolling...
This is the guy who faked his own death on these boards a few months back. He created an alt account, posed as a friend of his main account, and said that he'd committed suicide. Please ignore all posts from this user in the future.

...and for a more on-topic note, I'm working on something big. Something Ridley-related. Chances are I'll never finish it, so I'm not going to reveal what it is in case it never happens.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey, did this suddenly become a non-freedom country. I don't want Ridley in Smash and I backed it up.
With a thought process we've debunked every other day...

There's having an opinion and then theres taping meat on your head and jumping in a shark pool.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I made this on my trip to Chicago, rather proud of it. I used inspiration from Zero Mission and SSBB.

100_0437.JPG

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Hey, did this suddenly become a non-freedom country. I don't want Ridley in Smash and I backed it up.
Hey, I tried to tell everyone to just ignore you bu-

This is the guy who faked his own death on these boards a few months back. He created an alt account, posed as a friend of his main account, and said that he'd committed suicide. Please ignore all posts from this user in the future.
Holy ****, bro. Seriously? That's ****ed up.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Do you have proof of such an event?

Pretty big claim. Not saying I don't believe you but as a mod, I feel the need to see it.

...and for a more on-topic note, I'm working on something big. Something Ridley-related. Chances are I'll never finish it, so I'm not going to reveal what it is in case it never happens.
Project too big eh? :troll:

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
I made this on my trip to Chicago, rather proud of it. I used inspiration from Zero Mission and SSBB.

View attachment 9405
Why is it that every Ridley fan seems to be an awesome artist? I say we hold some sort of Ridley-related art competition here. I'm not sure exactly what the criteria could be, but it could have something to do with drawing him interacting with another member of the Smash cast.

Does someone with more time than me want to organize something like this?

Zynux

Smash Lord

Ridley is to big!

Yes, you have heard this argument before. But it is true. Ridley is huge and shrinking him would be... Weird. Bowser was scaled down, yet he looks about that size in the Kart and Sport games. Olimar needed to be scaled up and it made him look believable. Sonic is supposed to be 3'something and he looks as tall as he is in smash in the Olympic series (perhaps taller!)
Piece of advice: If you're going to storm into a Space Pirate base with no Charge Beam or Varia Suit, then I suggest at the very least recharging at a Missile Station first. We've already, on numerous occasions, provided various rebuttals (I would even go as far as to say "debunked") The "Too Big" Argument in this very thread, so I would start reading and catching yourself up if you are unaware. And, if by chance you disagree with our opinions and examples on the matter, then at the very least what you could have done is bring up the examples we pointed out and explain why you don't agree, instead of just spouting out a terrible argument with no supporting evidence to back it up. Here, I'll post some for you since you obviously couldn't take the time to do so yourself:

(Note: both Ridley's presented are the same size)

Now, the general consensus of this thread seems to agree that this would be the approximate size for a Ridley to appear in the game (no matter what art direction they take his overall design, though its most likely going to be the Other M design). We feel that this would be a good size while still making him feel proportioned to Samus (by the way these proportions remind me a lot of Ridley's size compared to Samus in Super Metroid) and not look off or wierd. Now, since you barged into here claiming he was too big, what do you think about these examples? If you disagree, I would honestly like to know why, so that maybe we can actually have a discussion. Because until I have that, I'm just going to assume that your making baseless assumptions without any evidence to support it.

Sakurai even said in an interview Ridley would be "nearly impossible" so BAM.
He also said that if his team worked very hard they could have gotten him in.

And if you happen to be a troll, then 7/10 got me to respond.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Ridley is to big!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
L2A571_0D4DCD7A1BCA2_000.gif

"..."

Im feeling a bit more better now, i really needed to sleep for a while, and listening to the rain helped to that....and if you are wondering what is that thing on Ridley's back, it is not a cape xD i draw something like my soft borrego blanket on him...

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
View attachment 9407
"..."

Im feeling a bit more better now, i really needed to sleep for a while, and listening to the rain helped to that....and if you are wondering what is that thing on Ridley's back, it is not a cape xD i draw something like my soft borrego blanket on him...
Well I'm glad you're feeling better from... whatever it was again that made you feel a little down earlier. You've been such a wonderful teacher to me so far in the art of drawing Ridley (for lack of better word) after all. ~

...I have the drawing skills of a five year old...

...Sometimes I feel left out here...
Who knows, maybe you'd surprise yourself (in a good way) if you were to try drawing something like Ridley now. I kinda did with my first successful (well, sorta) Ridley sketch that I attempted yesterday. May be awhile though till I do one that I feel actually warrants/deserves being posted here.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Why is it that every Ridley fan seems to be an awesome artist? I say we hold some sort of Ridley-related art competition here. I'm not sure exactly what the criteria could be, but it could have something to do with drawing him interacting with another member of the Smash cast.

Does someone with more time than me want to organize something like this?
Because smart people support Ridley? I'm mostly used to drawing bewbies...but I can give a shot at Ridley :v

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Well I'm glad you're feeling better from... whatever it was again that made you feel a little down earlier. You've been such a wonderful teacher to me so far in the art of drawing Ridley (for lack of better word) after all. ~

Who knows, maybe you'd surprise yourself (in a good way) if you were to try drawing something like Ridley now. I kinda did with my first successful (well, sorta) Ridley sketch that I attempted yesterday. May be awhile though till I do one that I feel actually warrants/deserves being posted here.
:3 thank you...it was stress (from school...) the reasson why i had the headache, but i needed to relax and sleep for a little while, and hearing the rain helps. you know what? with all this rainy weather, I feel in the Pirate Homeworld...i love that place :3.

And im really happy that i can pass my little knowledge to you on how you can draw him, even not being a professional yet, and im glad that it is actually helping you. And i really hope that you are able to post a drawing of Ridley, if you want more tips, just ask.

P2A571_0D4E14EFC00E0_001.gif

"Yes, please do!"

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
You know I'm not sure if anyone else has made this argument, but instead of scaling Ridley down why don't they scale everyone up. That why Ridley stays the same size.:)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know I'm not sure if anyone else has made this argument, but instead of scaling Ridley down why don't they scale everyone up. That why Ridley stays the same size.:)
...That would still just be shrinking Ridley.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
This is the internet, not a country. You're also, quite possibly, the worst troll I've ever seen. So bad in fact, that I'm inclined to believe that you aren't a troll at all, but just an idiot. ****, Big Rig Randy is better than you despite how obvious he is about it. But at least he manages to actually annoy some people. You've just succeeded in making us feel bad for you.

Top Bottom