• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Consider this guys:

Going off of that information, I would say that means Ghirahim and Ridley, since they're both counterparts to their trophies. Ghirahim is Fi's equivalent (minor spoiler to those who haven't played SS but I won't spoil it entirely) and Ridley's also a boss from Other M. However, since the other two got playable reps, they'd both be playable. Here's hoping.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Let's take this a step further. The music that played during Tiki's trophy scene was Id~Purpose, which happens to be Robin's theme. Now let's look at what played during the King Kihunter trophy scene.

Oh yeah, Ridley's theme. :smirk:
What music theme played during Fi's trophy scene? Ballad of the Goddess?

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
You dont get 7 newcomers out of blind luck. Sal's tiptster is legit, but his info is definitely old, not 2 months old, very old.
Well, I mean... it's possible he got them out of blind luck. Just not probable, y'know? I reckon the tipster had inside info too, but it's a possibility that their luck was just off the charts, and then they got cocky.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You dont get 7 newcomers out of blind luck. Sal's tiptster is legit, but his info is definitely old, not 2 months old, very old.
You definitely can get 7 newcomers out of blind luck when all of them are common fan roster components except for Wii Fit Trainer who by herself can definitely be a lucky guess.

I am so glad Gematsu is dead in a ditch, it is such a load off.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know he was! My main argument was that if we were to get a newcomer that wasn't Ridley or an Other M one, it'd probably be a Prime 3 Hunter like Rundas. There's no way it isn't make or break for the franchise with Ridley, but the likes of Rundas would probably be the next best well-received character after him.
NOW we know what went wrong, my apologies

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Then why did Sal and the leaker say Shulk was today? If you claim it will happen and then it doesn't there are no excuses
Sal never said anything, he just shared what his source told him. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't take it out on Sal Romano, it's not his fault that his source goofed it up, Sal is otherwise just sharing news from what was previously a completely reliable source before, I think we should still be grateful that he's sharing what his source told him, even if some of it is bogus.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
I feel like blind luck along with some educated guesses could definitely do it though, for a time anyways.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Going off of that information, I would say that means Ghirahim and Ridley, since they're both counterparts to their trophies. Ghirahim is Fi's equivalent (minor spoiler to those who haven't played SS but I won't spoil it entirely) and Ridley's also a boss from Other M. However, since the other two got playable reps, they'd both be playable. Here's hoping.
Wouldn't a better equivalent for Ridley be that Little Birdie was seen eating the honey or whatever it was from the King Kihunter's corpse after the battle?

In any event, what was Tiki to Robin and Lucina? Was Tiki of any importance to them? I never played Awakening, but it could be worth noting.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sal never said anything, he just shared what his source told him. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't take it out on Sal Romano, it's not his fault that his source goofed it up, Sal is otherwise just sharing news from what was previously a completely reliable source before, I think we should still be grateful that he's sharing what his source told him, even if some of it is bogus.
I did that to ridicule the leak, I don't know Sal personally, so he might be a nice guy, the joke was for the leak

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wouldn't a better equivalent for Ridley be that Little Birdie was seen eating the honey or whatever it was from the King Kihunter's corpse after the battle?

In any event, what was Tiki to Robin and Lucina? Was Tiki of any importance to them? I never played Awakening, but it could be worth noting.
Tiki wasn't a main character but she is an important side character in Awakening and Marth's own games, where she's a divine dragon who is able to help defeat both Medeus and Grima.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
theres

still a rhythym heaven rep in smash run
I know, the guy had info that was outdated. He could've made up the second half and guessed Chorus Men based on Rhythm Heaven's popularity. The point is, we do NOT have Chrom and we have FOUR FE characters. The rest of the Gematsu leak is completely unreliable now regardless of what info he may have gotten right. Not everyone will like the fact that today was FE based, but what will please people is that Gematsu can no longer be used to discredit characters.

Ah, I see. I do not play FE, so I assumed Robin and Lucina are side characters or something. Needless to say, that makes me feel better, as I do not frequent any thread other than this one, so my scope of the smash-world is very narrow.

Praise be to thy band of Heroes, Captain Falcon, Lucina, and Robin the Tactician, for they have vanguished the great dread beast Gemastu on this day! With Falcon's dashing charisma, Lucina's blade, and Robin's magic, thy foul serpent has been banished to thine depths of Hell!(or suitable 'bad' afterlife of choice.)
Nah, there are three main characters of Fire Emblem: Awakening, and ALL THREE of them are represented in Smash Bros. However, only two of them are separate characters. Chrom is part of Robin's Final Smash. So yeah, they are main characters, not side characters, Lucina's even a Lord in fact.

•Col•

Smash Champion
So now with Gematsu getting discredited, get ready for a new wave of Ridley 'supporters'.

I've been calling it for a while now, but with the new reveal I feel even more strongly. Sakurai keeps trying to troll/misdirect people in order to try to surprise us with a character reveal. The Ridley 'deconfirmation' in the direct would fall in line with this way of thinking..

Crazy conspiracy theory: Sakurai is actually the Gematsu leaker and intentionally leaked a fake roster with a few crazy picks in order to surprise everyone.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
You definitely can get 7 newcomers out of blind luck when all of them are common fan roster components except for Wii Fit Trainer who by herself can definitely be a lucky guess.

I am so glad Gematsu is dead in a ditch, it is such a load off.
Absolutely nobody got all 7 newcomers, for being so predictable you'd think more people would get it right. But nobody did. Only him, even with the correct names of the harder ones. His tipster is legit, but his info is not 100% accurate. It will take a lot more than this to become fake.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
So now with Gematsu getting discredited, get ready for a new wave of Ridley 'supporters'.

I've been calling it for a while now, but with the new reveal I feel even more strongly. Sakurai keeps trying to troll/misdirect people in order to try to surprise us with a character reveal. The Ridley 'reveal' in the direct would fall in line with this way of thinking..

Crazy conspiracy theory: Sakurai is actually the Gematsu leaker and intentionally leaked a fake roster with a few crazy picks in order to surprise everyone.
You remind me alot of me.

Reila

Showing Little Birdie in the trophy quizzes would practically confirm Ridley, though.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Sure you do:
-I will give him Wii Fit Trainer as that one is so, random for Smash Bros in terms of prediction.
-Palutena seemed like a given since the last game Sakurai worked on was Uprising and Kid Icarus needed at least 1 more rep.
-Pac-man also seemed like a given since Namco is working on Smash Bros with Sakurai.
-Megaman has been being guessed for so long, it was not exactly hard to imagine Sakurai putting him in.
-As soon as the ring was revealed, everyone guessed Little Mac.
-Miis are very common request, which amazed me at the time.
-"A pokemon from X and Y" Is a bit vague, isnt it? There are alot of them that could work. It is like saying "A" Fire emblem character. Which brings me to...
- Lucina and Robin, Fire emblem reps who got alot more requests then Chrom, but got quieter after that "leak"

My point is, it is not hard to make predictions, everyone is doing it. Chances are someone would guess right.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Tiki wasn't a main character but she is an important side character in Awakening and Marth's own games, where she's a divine dragon who is able to help defeat both Medeus and Grima.
Thank you! This being said, I still am skeptical on the trophy = characters thing. There's a clear link between the trophies and the characters, though, so I guess it'll be an interesting theory to follow, at least.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I believe that Ganon is getting revamped and we're getting a new Zelda newcomer. Ridley will have to be playable, it's only possible,

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Showing Little Birdie in the trophy quizzes would practically confirm Ridley, though.
Oh no, I mean like... rather than saying Kihunter references Ridley because they're both in the same game, Kihunter could reference Ridley because Ridley is seen eating the honey-type-thing as Little Birdie directly afterwards, having used Samus to kill it for food. It's a more direct linking of the Kihunter Trophy to Ridley than "They're in the same game as bosses", is all~

majora_787

Smash Hero
Absolutely nobody got all 7 newcomers, for being so predictable you'd think more people would get it right. But nobody did. Only him, even with the correct names of the harder ones. His tipster is legit, but his info is not 100% accurate. It will take a lot more than this to become fake.
You're absolutely right. NOBODY wanted Palutena. Or Mega Man. Or Little Mac. Or an animal crossing Newcomer. Or Miis. And just because Namco was helping make the game doesn't mean anyone thought Pac-Man would happen. Those are DOWNRIGHT OBSCURE guesses at the playable roster.

Seriously though. Gematsu is dead AND on fire in a sewage-filled ditch. There is literally no way it can recover from this. People really need to just give up on it. The first leak was wrong. The second leak was wrong. The third leak contradicted itself. The fourth leak was wrong. There is nothing left.

nessokman

Smash Lord
-"A pokemon from X and Y" Is a bit vague, isnt it? There are alot of them that could work. It is like saying "A" Fire emblem character. Which brings me to...
Sakurai already said that X and Y weren't out when they were choosing the rooster, so they reserved a spot for an X and Y rep.

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I have changed my mind, Wii fit trainer is now not the worst newcomer, Lucina is.

Side note for the trophy pick Ghiraham would probably correlate to that.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have changed my mind, Wii fit trainer is now not the worst newcomer, Lucina is.

I dunno. She does seem to be on a very fast track to being a clone, already with 20% of her moveset and her idle animations matching up with Marth's. But really I'd way rather have clone Lucina than Chorus Beavers.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
As much as I want to bash this, it brings up a great point.

From what I know of the FE universe(i.e. very little), Lucina and Robin were only in one game, similar to Anthony. Granted, Anthony is no where NEAR as requested as Ridley, but it's till concerning that Lucina and Robin, who were less requested than Chrom, made the cut.

What do you all think?
Fire Emblem is a very different franchise. Every game it changes its set of characters completely, the only characters that have appeared in multiple Fire Emblem titles are Marth and Ike, and at the time of their inclusions in Smash they didn't even have that distinction. Not to mention that Lucina and Robin are two out of three main characters in Awakening, with Chrom being the only one of those not playable in Smash.

Metroid is obviously very different, Anthony is in reality just a really minor character in an overarching series with much more important characters.

Furthermore, we already know that uniqueness trumps popularity from Rosalina's inclusion over Bowser Jr and Toad, Robin over Chrom was exactly what I was banking on until Gematsu part 2, so if anything was to discredit Gematsu it was Robin for sure. Lucina is one of our token last-minute additions, so that doesn't really count. Luckily for us Ridley has the chance to be one of the most unique characters on the roster while being popular, Chrom or Bowser Jr didn't have that.

So no, Anthony is still not a possibility in my eyes, especially not with all the Ridley teasing.

Last edited:

Reila

Come on, stop hating on our GirlMarth. :c

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
We could also get playable beast ganon. I'd prefer that to any other zelda rep atm .

might be a pipe dream, but hey, so was 2 FE newcomers.

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
people said it was impossible to get two new comer in the same video but guess what XD and sakurai said we read the bottom of the new comer video ,that can mean we can get two new comer in the next video :) and last thing we can get a girahim and ganondorf video both in the same :)

that give more chance for our leader ridley

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Sure you do:
-I will give him Wii Fit Trainer as that one is so, random for Smash Bros in terms of prediction.
-Palutena seemed like a given since the last game Sakurai worked on was Uprising and Kid Icarus needed at least 1 more rep.
-Pac-man also seemed like a given since Namco is working on Smash Bros with Sakurai.
-Megaman has been being guessed for so long, it was not exactly hard to imagine Sakurai putting him in.
-As soon as the ring was revealed, everyone guessed Little Mac.
-Miis are very common request, which amazed me at the time.
- Lucina and Robin, Fire emblem reps who got alot more requests then Chrom, but got quieter after that "leak"

My point is, it is not hard to make predictions, everyone is doing it. Chances are someone would guess right.
He mentioned Little Mac before the ring was shown, there was no hint to work with.

Sure, people win the lottery, but its kinda hard to believe that its more likely to have astronomical luck instead of knowing someone who is in the know. Lets not forget that Brawls roster was leaked well before release.

Reila

We could also get playable beast ganon. I'd prefer that to any other zelda rep atm .

might be a pipe dream, but hey, so was 2 FE newcomers.
Ganon is still Ganondorf, so I would rather get Ghirahim or even Yuga over Pig Ganon.

Also, Beast Ganon from TP is my favorite Ganon, but he wouldn't work as a playable character, unfortunately.

Although getting a revamped Ganondorf or Ganondorf being replaced by Pig Ganon wouldn't be a bad thing in my books.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Fire Emblem is a very different franchise. Every game it changes its set of characters completely, the only characters that have appeared in multiple Fire Emblem titles are Marth and Ike, and at the time of their inclusions in Smash they didn't even have that distinction. Not to mention that Lucina and Robin are two out of three main characters in Awakening, with Chrom being the only one of those not playable in Smash.

Metroid is obviously very different, Anthony is in reality just a really minor character in an overarching series with much more important characters.

Furthermore, we already know that uniqueness trumps popularity from Rosalina's inclusion over Bowser Jr and Toad, Robin over Chrom was exactly what I was banking on until Gematsu part 2, so if anything was to discredit Gematsu it was Robin for sure. Lucina is one of our token last-minute additions, so that doesn't really count. Luckily for us Ridley has the chance to be one of the most unique characters on the roster while being popular, Chrom or Bowser Jr didn't have that.

So no, Anthony is still not a possibility in my eyes, especially not with all the Ridley teasing.
Yeeeah, unlike Metroid, every two or three games Fire Emblem changes casts and continuities entirely.

- The first game stars Marth.
- The second game is a side-story in another continent.
- The third game is a sequel to the first.
- The fourth game is a thousand years BEFORE Marth and on a THIRD different continent.
- The fifth game stars slightly different characters and is a midquel of the fourth.
- The sixth and seventh games are literally in their own independent continuity.
- The eight game is in its own independent continuity.
- The ninth and tenth game is ITS own independent continuity.
- The eleventh and twelfth games are remakes of the first and third.
- The latest is 2,000 years AFTER Marth with a mostly different cast.

Fire Emblem is a mess of complicated when it comes to picking characters. They're really best off with "The first lord and some new lords".

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Actually, the way this video went, I honestly could see them doing a ganondorf/mewtwo/Ridley video

I would die
We got two newcomers in one video, even if they come from the same game...
So why not the Zelda newcomer and Ridley both in the same game ? Ghirahim and Ridley together ?
We have two more videos I guess. Two newcomers remaining maybe ? If so, they MUST make a video with Ridley, and another with Mach Rider imo. Those two guys are the ones I want remaining.

(Forgot Shulk, but I'll go with the fact he is in, I don't see why he would miss the chance !)

Last edited:
Top Bottom