• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Real Way to Get Better with Falco

M@v

Subarashii!
you guys don't understand.

if you go falco larry WILL **** YOU UP. then you get better......
Not all that surprised. It turns out when you play someone's secondary, and if they main the same person as you, its hard, because THEY KNOW EVERYTHING YOUR CHARACTER IS CAPABLE OF.

The best example with me is Fox vs Falco. I'm proficient on both ends of that mu, and I think its dead even.

Also, you guys want to be more aggressive, play fox. Trust me. Fox is better at it . Fox is probably the most under-rated character in this game due to lack of rep. Don't get me wrong, Falco is still better character, but the Japanese got it right with fox.

Choice

Smash Champion
fox can't be aggressive. all he can do is laser and usmash.

M@v

Subarashii!
fox can't be aggressive. all he can do is laser and usmash.
Please don't be ignorant >_>.

Although most of his approaches lack priority minus nair and bair, his speed allows him to instantly punish almost any sort of whiff if your name isn't metaknight.

Choice

Smash Champion
i think this is the wrong thread to be promoting fox anyways. that is not the real way to get better with falco at all.

MasterKurei

Smash Apprentice
Imo i think that bdacus and dacus should not be used more than 5times in a match or 4.
Dacus imo should be used less.
Bdacus should be used more than dacus because you can do it out evrything.
Ppl will get used to seen you do dacus if you SHDL like 3times then doing it.But idk.Im a Noob. xD
Again IMO!

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Way;s to get with falco

Laser correctly.
Cancel lag phantasm.
Phantasm cancel (short, mid, long)
Jab work.

SK92

Smash Journeyman
That works for you Larry.
It doesn't work for me playing patient in the keep away game.
All out aggressive with proper spacing works for me.

All of socal said I should just remain using my aggro strategy.
Different things work for different people.
The set against seibrik i was all out aggressive and worked well.
Same with rain.

Probably because when i first played brawl with falco i was aggressive back in the 08 dayz

StarFruit

Smash Cadet
Where the hell were you SK when I needed support in my aggro falco development thread

:phone:

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
That works for you Larry.
It doesn't work for me playing patient in the keep away game.
All out aggressive with proper spacing works for me.

All of socal said I should just remain using my aggro strategy.
Different things work for different people.
The set against seibrik i was all out aggressive and worked well.
Same with rain.

Probably because when i first played brawl with falco i was aggressive back in the 08 dayz
I'm not saying that you shouldn't play aggressive, it's a good playstyle to have. You should use everything your character has to offer, limiting yourself to play only one way will only restrict how much better you'll get. If you want to play aggressive go ahead, but why not have an aggressive and campy playstyle that you can switch between?

Redrix

Smash Rookie
Yep, I'm with you, DEHF, nice post (Y).

All of us have a different Falco playstyle, obviously, but not all have the same effectiveness. I think that we have to know that Falco, appart of his excelent boxing, has a better (in my opinion) and safer thing, that it's his camp. Playing consciously of our camp we can combine it with an agressive playstyle and obtain nice results in tournaments.

Personally, one of the safest Falco's playstyles I've ever seen it's SLS's Falco, but I still think your style is more effective.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I used to be a super defensive never-going-to-approach-you kind of Falco. Then somewhere down the line I realized that playing that way with any character solely will eventually get you *****. There are only so many ways you can Laser, space things and Phantasm away. You are effectively limiting yourself to a portion to your moveset by playing that way. The opposite side of the spectrum works the same way as well. The point of the game is to take stocks by dealing damage. You deal damage by making reads and responding to moves correctly. You avoid damage by doing the same and by limiting patterns and habits. Playing with one set way decreases your ability to avoid falling into a pattern and hide predictable habits. That's why its better to be able to switch it up.

And honestly its not like Falco isnt strong in either categories. Some characters are best played campy or aggressive reward/punish you for leaning towards the other. Falco is honestly really balanced here and its why he can compete with so many characters in a high level setting. And I honestly think that if a certain playstyle doesnt work for you and your character has the capabilities of utilizing it effectlively,it means you aren't doing it right.

:phone:

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
  • Mix up lasers.(Camp).
  • jab's (jab cancel, jab lock)
  • Know spacing for arials.
  • Dacus Bdacus
  • Ground spacing.
  • Knowing when to use smashes.
  • Different cg's.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac

And when you practice something practice it in all sorts of situations. Practice when its hot, cold, dark, light, when you've just got out of bed, when you're really exhausted, when you're feeling great.
That post made everything worth it. I'm just picturing Technical Chase in a Freezer Room doing BDACUS and developing hypothermia in his pajamas hahahahaha

By the way:
DEHF you would jab combo M2K when he tried to shield grab you. Is this a defensive last resort because you were usually behind when doing so...or is it just your method of beating MK's grab?

I laughed when I noticed the video of Larry camping is against Tyrant. There was clearly a rivalry there and Larry always plays incredibly patient when his rep is on the line.

Top Bottom