• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The PS1 windmill.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I also have my own opinions on FD, but we'll leave that for another day.

I'm still dumbfounded on something that makes absolutely perfect sense the moment I read it evaded us for such a long time.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
good piece of knowledge to have.
since it works like platform canceling I'm guessing it doesn't work if you are performing any action at all while trying to go through it. (confirmation please)
From what I've tested, this is correct.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Wow... I never knew about this. And since it doesn't work for MK... :p

Also, windmill cancelling sounds nowhere near as good as WINDMILL SPIKING!!!

And lol at the stages post. Halberd is not neutral, and YS is a good neutral (though I usually stage strike it anyways lol).

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
wtf how did I not know this until just now!?

Thanks for posting!

PS1 and RC are dumb stages and should not be legal.

FD should be a CP.

The only neutral stages are Battlefield, Smashville, and IMO Halberd
PS1 and RC should definitely stay legal. There's nothing on either of those stages that would give reason to make them banned, or even counter-banned, for that matter.

Saying Halberd is more neutral overall than FD is definitely very wrong as well... but FD is not at all neutral in some matchups, I at least agree with that.

Personally I don't have a problem with a conservative or liberal stage list, but no matter what, RC and PS1 should definitely not be banned, that's quite sensationalist.

If I had to pick a 3 stage neutral list, it would be Battlefield, Smashville, and Yoshi's. I have some concerns with how that would work out with Ice Climbers, however, and I'm pretty sure they're the only thing stopping that from being the standard neutrals list.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
It's true about not working for MK or others with multiple jumps. I mean you can go through, but not during jump animations after the first.

MetalMusicMan

It's true about not working for MK or others with multiple jumps. I mean you can go through, but not during jump animations after the first.
Just to clarify-- you're saying it only works on their first jump? Or are you saying that it works on the first jump during the animation, and also on every other jump, just not during the animation?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Just to clarify-- you're saying it only works on their first jump? Or are you saying that it works on the first jump during the animation, and also on every other jump, just not during the animation?
For characters with multiple jumps, it only works with their first jump. (The one that gets them off the ground.)

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
PS1 is in no way a neutral even with this "discovery", that's crazy.
Yes it is.

None of the transformations give a huge advantage, with the except of D3's stupid CGs. FD does worse, as D3 still have a big advantage, but so do the ICs, Diddy Kong Falco, ect. On the same token, the stage isn't as disruptive as PS2. Some of the transformations hinder projectiles, others don't hinder them anymore than BF does with one hindering projectiles even less than BF by a tad. Honestly, if D3 wasn't in this game the stage would be without a doubt neutral. I have yet to see a MU (besides ones with D3 wall infiniting) on this stage that made me go "wow, this stage is a neutral?" FD on the other hand has made me question it a good number of times. Like any time I see an IC or Diddy Kong play on FD.

Here is another way to look at it: people will using their stage ban on FD fairly often. Very few people will use their stage ban on PS1. They would rather ban FD, Norfair, Pirate Ship, Frigate Orpheon...heck I think I've seen Smashville get banned more, though that's most likely because I ban it if I feel that the opponent doesn't like FD.

In terms of neutralness in this game:

Smashville => Battlefield > Yoshi's Island > PS1 > Lylat Cruise > FD => Delfino Plaza

MetalMusicMan

PS1 is no less neutral than Lylat, Halberd, or FD for that matter. All of the transformations are avoidable and campable until it goes back to a neutral state.

Toneh

Smash Lord
nah zac i meant the walls lol. 27 characters (70% of the cast) get chaingrabed into it, pretty unfair for a neutral. Same reason for delphino staying cp.
If there was no d3 then it would be legit

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
On my mere 3rd or 4th use of the Windmill trick, I came across this obscure glitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6a_ul59hBY

As you can see, Captain Falcon sort of gets stuck in the middle of the Windmill for a second there, before eventually the game fixes itself. I searched on YT, and found another glitch like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-84Fid_AEQ&NR=1

It appears from these videos that you can do anything in your stuck state that could could normally do according to the state you were in before you got stuck in there.

It looks like how they did it without passing through the windmill was obscure, however, it doesn't look too impossible to squeeze into the center of the windmill consistantly using this glitch.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Ah, that's pretty interesting UltiMario. o_o

That's how Sakurai decided to make windmill spiking easier, duh. SAKURAI! :laser:

No trick goes un-nerfed.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
On further attempts I've found that there is some sort of special spacing with this, not exactly sure what it is yet, but if I can finally understand what this spacing is, then this glitch should be able to be done consistantly, and easily.

Also, I've concluded from my tests that going through the windmill like this is by no means programmed. The trick that the OP discovered is a glitch.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
On further attempts I've found that there is some sort of special spacing with this, not exactly sure what it is yet, but if I can finally understand what this spacing is, then this glitch should be able to be done consistantly, and easily.

Also, I've concluded from my tests that going through the windmill like this is by no means programmed. The trick that the OP discovered is a glitch.
I've done that before, but I have no idea why it happens that way.
Also, it's not really a glitch. For some reason, they're platforms you can fall through, but cannot jump through normally. Holding down just makes the game think you're falling through them, even if it's sideways or above you.

Luigi player

Smash Master
You can't go through the middle point of the windmill.

Edit: maybe I should've watched the vids first...

Top Bottom