• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

D

Deleted member

I was thinking aMSa as well. Looking forward to seeing how much his Greninja has progressed at Evo since Apex, hoping he places well again there too.

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking aMSa as well. Looking forward to seeing how much his Greninja has progressed at Evo since Apex, hoping he places well again there too.
Don't think that happens. IMO he placed that well because nobody knew the matchup. Since he placed so high, maybe more people will pick up the frog, and maybe people will learn way better the matchup. I mean, there's a reason why you just don't see a lot of his videos in channels. Its possible he lives way to far from those tourneys, but its also posible he doesn't place high in Japan, which is, IMO, what really happens. He still the best 'ninja out there without a doubt.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
So aMSa's secret to getting the timing/spacing of his forward airs is to practice on a crouched Kirby in training mode. No wonder he's so good with it lol
Now that is intense. I gotta try this haha. That's going to be a Friday afternoon and a half.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
That's an excellent training strategy.

In the future, please edit your post instead of a double post.

Unrelated, but I practice fairs on Olimar, but I guess Kirby can be another interesting choice.

Kace Mono

Smash Cadet
would it be possible to train it on a crouching jiggs? is there enough of a hitbox for that or would jiggs be too short?

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I think if you can hit a crouching Kirby, it would work on Jiggs too, no? Also, I don't know how aMSa had the cpu set to crouch, so I had to manually wrap my wii u pad cord around the analog stick and aim it down so the cpu would stay crouched.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Wow. I havent seen any aMSa play. Do you guys have any links to his matches? That would be most helpful.

D

Deleted member

Wow. I havent seen any aMSa play. Do you guys have any links to his matches? That would be most helpful.

It's been about two weeks since Apex, and I'm still amazed at how well he moves... lol.

Edit: >tfw greninja'd

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
D-taunt is probably the most viable attacking taunt in the game. As I've posted in the true combos thread, it can combo out of U-tilt into U-tilt to U-smash or Dash Attack to F-air depending on the percent. That push-up effect is great! I've tested on Meta Knight and Pikachu so far and the combos work on both, but at different percents.

The taunt itself is awesome too. So much sass.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
D-taunt is probably the most viable attacking taunt in the game. As I've posted in the true combos thread, it can combo out of U-tilt into U-tilt to U-smash or Dash Attack to F-air depending on the percent. That push-up effect is great! I've tested on Meta Knight and Pikachu so far and the combos work on both, but at different percents.

The taunt itself is awesome too. So much sass.
Such sass that can only be inspired by certain sisters, no doubt :p

And yeah, I actually tried to substitute on a Greninja taunt but it doesn't work on the ground, and you can even crouch under it lol. If only his taunt was faster. OUT OF SHIELD TAUNT LETS GO.

joaoTforce

Smash Cadet
NNID
joaoTforce
3DS FC
3711-7595-3873
well here's a fun fact: on FD, greninja's down taunt can kill a pikachu if they're both at 370%. but it will only kill if pikachu grabs the ledge, jumps and while he's doing that, greninja needs to use the d-taunt.

joaoTforce

Smash Cadet
NNID
joaoTforce
3DS FC
3711-7595-3873
so uh... shifting shuriken (custom neutral 3) is kind of amazing. you can combo so much. fully charged shuriken(fcs) pulls enemies toward you and non-charged shuriken(ncs) launches them straight up.

I have been able to combo ncs into an aerial. but the timing is really tight. Also, it won't work if you shoot too close to the opponent, because of the endlag.

with fcs, at low percent you can do fcs>dash attack or fcs> dash grab, if you're far away from the opponent.you can also combo fcs into a jab too, depending on how far away you are.

And now the best one I found IMO, is fcs>upsmash. I tested this against a diddy controlled by my friend, and this combo works at around 100% (mid range), so that up smash will most likely kill. However, if the percentage is too high, this won't work, because they will be lauched way too high and the up smash will not hit.

I could be wrong on this, but in training mode, the game counted those as true combos. And my friend said he couldn't do anything to escape, but he could also be wrong, I don't know if he DI'd properly or not.

So for now, this is useless.But when custom moves are allowed (and I know they will) this should be interesting.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
That is somewhat old now. Shifting Shuriken has it's own section in the True Combos thread and all. But yeah, that's the one custom that's going to make Greninja's life a lot easier when it comes down to dealing with some MUs (mainly Rosalina and Sonic because dat transcedent priority).

joaoTforce

Smash Cadet
NNID
joaoTforce
3DS FC
3711-7595-3873
That is somewhat old now. Shifting Shuriken has it's own section in the True Combos thread and all. But yeah, that's the one custom that's going to make Greninja's life a lot easier when it comes down to dealing with some MUs (mainly Rosalina and Sonic because dat transcedent priority).
oh really? I didn't know that because it wasn't on the list, I only found combos with normal WS. well sorry for the unnecessary post, but still, I feel like custom moves are not being discussed enough here, like, at all. I found those posts and they were from november. It's been a while.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I'm back from a weekly tournament at CMU. Surprisingly no Diddy players, but a few Sheiks. My oh my I do not like playing against Sheik.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Okay, story time! I know that some people here know that I sometimes participate in Smash Bros. Wii U tournaments, and, I think two weeks ago(?), I lost in a hilarious manner whilst on stream.

So, I made this.

It isn't exactly new gameplay or anything, so I don't think it should be put into the video thread.

Fun Fact: I had to reupload this THREE TIMES because of copyright. Bluuuh. Excuse how the pitch is off.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Does Mario's cape actually reverse the direction you have to input for the second pump? I mean, I know it turns you around, but that shouldn't result in reversing your control.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Does Mario's cape actually reverse the direction you have to input for the second pump? I mean, I know it turns you around, but that shouldn't result in reversing your control.
Hmm, I don't think so?

I certainly wasn't expecting that to happen though. .-.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Haven't played much of :4greninja: lately, been having too much fun with my pocket characters and spending little practice with him. A couple of peeps in my scene were impressed with my ninjitsu when I show at tournaments and a few even say I could end up the best Greninja in AZ. I should be perfecting my ninja training and trying to live up to title, but because I can't quit character jumping I feel I'm starting to handicap myself. Not just as a Greninja, but as a player in general. I don't even know who I want as my secondary anymore.... I love the Blue Blur :4sonic: but I'm starting to like the Blue Bomber :4megaman: just as much.

What am I doing?

Kace Mono

Smash Cadet
Haven't played much of :4greninja: lately, been having too much fun with my pocket characters and spending little practice with him. A couple of peeps in my scene were impressed with my ninjitsu when I show at tournaments and a few even say I could end up the best Greninja in AZ. I should be perfecting my ninja training and trying to live up to title, but because I can't quit character jumping I feel I'm starting to handicap myself. Not just as a Greninja, but as a player in general. I don't even know who I want as my secondary anymore.... I love the Blue Blur :4sonic: but I'm starting to like the Blue Bomber :4megaman: just as much.

What am I doing?
I have the opposite, i don't seem to be able to move away from my bouncing blue frog. im trying to second luigi to help with matchups but i always play Greninja when it comes to it because i never feel like my luigi will be good enough. i get alot of support at my tournaments too but its more because i punish my opponents with my DTaunt... but i cant really help, i feel im too inexperienced to really give good advice to someone in need of it.

Sidhe Sí

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfiniteAlchemy
3DS FC
3926-5917-6773
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to competitive Smash, so I was wondering if a hyper offensive playstyle works better for a Greninja, or just simply camping with Shurikans and grabbing a lot *~*

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Apparently I stopped getting alerts for this thread, thanks Obama

If I'm not mistaken it does reverse inputs for a short window after it spins you, but don't quote me on that.

I have the opposite, i don't seem to be able to move away from my bouncing blue frog. im trying to second luigi to help with matchups but i always play Greninja when it comes to it because i never feel like my luigi will be good enough.
Same boat, though Rosalina's decidedly my better fit. If I don't immediately click with a character I either can't learn them at all, or they just end up being significantly worse than my mains; see Meta Knight, who I've been trying to get good at off and on since release but still can't do anything consistent with, and Luigi/Jiggs who I just flat out suck with in this game despite playing them in the first three Smash games.

I guess I don't have to worry about any crises where I can't decide on a main at least, but I'd enjoy having some secondary options...

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to competitive Smash, so I was wondering if a hyper offensive playstyle works better for a Greninja, or just simply camping with Shurikans and grabbing a lot *~*
Shurikens are fairly laggy, so they aren't the best projectile to try and camp with; Greninja lacks safe approach options, so being overly aggressive is asking to be punished too. Greninja's all about opening up your opponent and making them do things you can punish, then punishing them hard. Mainly, you need to be unpredictable; occasional shurikens are good for damage, spamming shurikens is asking to be punished. Occasional dash attacks/grabs can be a good and rewarding surprise, doing it predictably is going to get you bodied. etc

Sidhe Sí

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfiniteAlchemy
3DS FC
3926-5917-6773
Shurikens are fairly laggy, so they aren't the best projectile to try and camp with; Greninja lacks safe approach options, so being overly aggressive is asking to be punished too. Greninja's all about opening up your opponent and making them do things you can punish, then punishing them hard. Mainly, you need to be unpredictable; occasional shurikens are good for damage, spamming shurikens is asking to be punished. Occasional dash attacks/grabs can be a good and rewarding surprise, doing it predictably is going to get you bodied. etc
Oooh, I see. So it's like being able to throw the opponent off by constantly switching up how you play. Really fits him being a sneaky ninja or whatever xD Thanks!

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997

What am I doing?
Aah, yeah. I've been having the same problem. I've been playing a bit of :4fox: and :4myfriends:.

Though, neither of those above I feel are tournament ready.So, yeah. Kinda damaging myself as well. :x

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I've been messing around with customs :4myfriends: in training the last couple of days myself. I can't play Ike at all, but man his customs are cool.

Top Bottom